• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

8-B Brackets Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dargoo_Faust

Blue Doggo Enthusiast
VS Battles
Retired
Crazy dnd sword
Second round of the 8-B Brackets Begins! The winner of the last round was Skull Knight.

Current Standings

Hub

The contenders for this round are CyberDemon, submitted by MrKingofNegativity, and Beholster, submitted by Kazuma.

Speed is equalized, battle takes place in a large open space in the Gungeon, 20m apart.

Beholster is 13 Tons, Cyberdemon is 41 Tons.

CyberDemon - 12 (PixelKirby, Wokistan, MrKingOfNegativity, AnonymousBlank, MrBambu, Drite, DarkDragonMedeus, PsychoMaster, Iapitus, Crimson Azatoth, Firephoenixearl, Kazumakuwabara)

Beholster - 1 (PsychoMaster)

Incon -

TMQfutpSSlKcbVjqY2YF cyberdemon
D1f0cff7ef6db7c334c7274648e948cd

So what stops Cyberdemon from just shooting lasers and winning via 3x higher AP?

Well, considering the nature of the Danmaku and the intelligence difference, I see the Beholster taking this by abusing tons of projectiles and remaining at range despite the AP difference.

Well, Beholster doesn't exactly have feats of genius intelligence in combat, and The Cyberdemon seems to have far better durability.

How strong is Cyberdemon's regen?

I sorta see the Beholster taking this very easily. Its Danmaku, AP, and Stat Reduction advantages are sure to overwhelm the Cyberdemon. So, voting Beholster. (But then again, I may be thinking this too soon, but still consider it)

3x isn't that crazy, tbh, especially considering Danmaku.

"low intelligence" is pretty wrong for the cyberdemon. Can elaborate after I shower.

3x is actually far from a lot when the Beholster is gonna remain at range where it has the obvious advantage, even if we don't account for Stat Reduction.

Wait, SBA doesn't state starting range. Meaning Cyberdemon has an extremely high range advantage of hundreds of meters opposed to Beholster's dozens of meters. And considering Cyberdemon regens and has over 3x stronger AP, Beholster will not only be near to dead by the time it gets to Cyberdemon, but even then he'll have to contend with it's regen.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
3x is actually far from a lot when the Beholster is gonna remain at range where it has the obvious advantage, even if we don't account for Stat Reduction.
Cyberdemon, surprisingly enough, has the range advantage.

Then the Cyberdemon's intelligence bit really needs a fix, I did find it weird.

What's exactly stopping the Beholster from, I don't know, dodging at that distance? The difference between him and Cyberdemon is that he Danmakus, so he's gonna hit rather frequently in comparison.

dang it I hate it when I forget to specify distance

I'm changing the starting distance to 20m, sorry about that. Policy on the brackets is to have both within range at start.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
Then the Cyberdemon's intelligence bit really needs a fix, I did find it weird.

What's exactly stopping the Beholster from, I don't know, dodging at that distance? The difference between him and Cyberdemon is that he Danmakus, so he's gonna hit rather frequently in comparison.
Well, if Beholster gets close enough to use Danmaku, he'll have a harder time dodging. Also, seeing Fire Manipulation on the Demon's profile, I'm assuming there's AOE at play.

I would wait for Wokistan to show up before voting, but right now, it seems like Cyberdemon just fires down Beholster with a massive range advantage, since Beholster isn't exactly known for dodging (It's a bullethell game; the entire point is to shoot the boss) and it has Large Size. So, dodging seems... unlikely?

Dargoo Faust said:
dang it I hate it when I forget to specify distance

I'm changing the starting distance to 20m, sorry about that. Policy on the brackets is to have both within range at start.
Ah well in this case Beholster has quite an advantage.

Yeah, that's my boo.

If I ever forget to specify distance assume both are within range and remind me to update the OP.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
Well, considering the nature of the Danmaku and the intelligence difference,
[after looking at the Cyberdemon's intelligence rating again]

I think this needs to be changed. The Cyberdemon actually has a fairly solid intelligence feat found in the DOOM 2016 codex entries:

A neural pathway was created between the creature's brain and the Argent Accumulator, allowing the creature to administer Argent power to any part of its body as needed. In hindsight, this neural pathway was a mistake as once the pathway was activated the dormant beast immediately administered an Argent surge to the medulla oblongata, which allowed it to restore motor function. Once active, the circulatory system quickly restored and the beast achieved full motor function within a few minutes.
~ UAC REPORT FILE RRNOR75J​
This thing was dead throughout the entire process of it having its technology implanted into its body, and yet it figured out how to use said tech the moment it was conscious and living again.

It's implied that its actual consciousness is hive-minded with some greater intelligent being, hence why it's capable of things like that:

A report following the incident suggested that this act was not instinct by the Cyberdemon, but rather a suggestion of a greater intelligence governing the will of any creature demon borne - a "mastermind" of sorts. Research on this theory continues.
~ UAC REPORT FILE RRNOR75J​
Not sure how that compares to the opponent here, but yeah.

Then that's much better. The original Doom Cyberdemon is pretty flat as far as I am aware, but it felt odd the new Doom one had that intelligence rating. It didn't make much sense.

There's also how demons in general have been shown training and using tactics in battle, and how the OG one was a big threat to doomguy. Hell, even in 2016 Cyberdemon seems to be the one demon not terrified of him.

So what if the Cyberdemon just runs backwards and range spams? Either Beholster has to follow and risk being hit by 3x AP attacks, or focus on dodging and watch Cyberdemon slip out of range.

Yeah, he should definitely have a higher rating than he currently has, albeit to a degree I'm not entirely sure of right now.

Also

ThePixelKirby said:
Also, seeing Fire Manipulation on the Demon's profile, I'm assuming there's AOE at play.
Yes, there is. It can send wide slashes of fire towards its opponents that have to be jumped over or ducked under in order to be avoided. It's also capable of using the rocket launch batteries built into its back in order to send up massive barrages from above.

I'll get the boss fight video in a moment.

Oof. So while he doesn't have danmaku, that's going to be quite a lot of hard-to-dodge attacks going directly towards Beholster from a strafing opponent.

Being able to erect rows of rock pillars is actually a pretty good counter to the danmaku, now that I think of it.

Here's the boss fight, for reference:

DOOM - Cyberdemon Boss Fight
DOOM - Cyberdemon Boss Fight

In addition to what was mentioned above, it can also do things like raising collumns of earth out of the ground to limit an opponent's movement, as well as change forward and zip sideways with its mobility boosters.

He also seems to actively chase the Slayer as opposed to everyone else who is either summoned or happens to be in his way. He even revives himself when they go to hell, flips him off, and proceeds to get back to trying to kill him.

Oh yeah, he has one rez. If these brackets accomplish nothing else they do get some profile cleaning done lol

I'll vote our favorite mech demon FRA. It's a close one but his AP is too much.

Someone should add Ressurectio and Earth Manipulation on the profile.

Regen should be Mid-Low going off of the wounds it accumulates before it rezzes the first time.

I also gotta actually apply my revision to Doomguy, so I should be able to do it tomorrow. They're off of a video already linked in the file so I don't really think I'd need a CRT.

Wokistan said:
Oh yeah, he has one rez. If these brackets accomplish nothing else they do get some profile cleaning done lol
A correction.

He has one rez once you rip out his Argent Accumulator. Up to that point, he can just revive himself constantly:

Considered to be the most significant marker of success in the development of Argent-Organic research, the Cyberdemon is the flagship creation of the Lazarus Project. The symbiotic union of a Baalgar demon found during the second Project Lazarus Manned Expedition (MTC 2148/177) and an Argent Accumulator, this beast is capable of withstanding so much punishment that the creature must be kept in permanent suspended animation. Repeated attempts to subdue the beast prove unsuccessful as when exhausted, the Cyberdemon simply replenishes its life force from the Accumulator and attacks again with greater ferocity. Only by removing the Argent implant can the beast be restrained. The Cyberdemon remains in stasis until a suitable method of control can be found.
~ UAC REPORT FILE DHVZ19L4​

I'm voting cyberdemon myself, if this doesn't get him ejected from the bracket.

It seems to be able to be overcome with severe enough damage anyways. While they were actually in hell, meaning the cyberdemon probably didn't need the battery since argent energy is omnipresent, doomguy turning his head to paste seems to have put him down. The UAC doesn't have anything capable of doing that much though.

I've updated the profile, looks like Resurrection w/Mid-Low regen.

Beholster getting good shots to the head should give it a win but that's rather unlikely with earth pillars and the Cyberdemons' AP advantage.

Wokistan said:
It seems to be able to be overcome with severe enough damage anyways. While they were actually in hell, meaning the cyberdemon probably didn't need the battery since argent energy is omnipresent, doomguy turning his head to paste seems to have put him down. The UAC doesn't have anything capable of doing that much though.
Basically this. It's never gotten back up from anything worse than having the Accumulator forcibly ripped out of its chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back