• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I have heard that it is a masterpiece, and something as extremely unusual as an honest and socially relevant film from Hollywood. I really want to see it.

It's the Joker, his origin. You don't need action in his origin. You know what darkness he will do later.

There was even a scene near the start of the movie where they say the word "Gotham", and I thought "oh yeah, this is a DC movie, I forgot."

I really like the tone this movie took, because they could so easily have been lazy, thrown a bunch of fan-servic for the Batman fans and called it a day, but they didn't, they decided to actually tell a good story and make a good movie.

There isn't a happy moment in that movie. Sure, there were funny moments, but not in... Marvel's way of doing humor. There were times I felt uncomfortable to laugh. Though, that could have also been that I was watching it in public and I was concern how the audience would think of me due to the controversy.

I stand by saying the controversy ultimately helped heighten the uncomfortably of the movie which helped in its favor.

I honestly never got the controversy over this movie. Ever since the first footage of Joaquin was shown I loved it, and the trailers made me love it more. This movie won the award for best movie at the Venice Film Festival, and within reason. I don't care the negative reviews the US critics gave it, it's clear the rest of world can appreaciate the great work of art this movie is.

This is one thing I saw a reviewer saying about the movie (I don't remember what his name was, sorry), and I think it kind of sums it up:

"DC has finally figured out how to compete with the mouse, and that's by doing the exact opposite of what they do."

DC has been trying to make a cinematic universe to compete with Marvel for years, and most of their movies haven't been very well recieved, with a few exceptions, however, this movie is different; instead of trying to be like the MCU, or be like other superhero movies, it decided to do its own thing and be its own movie, which worked in its favor.

Basically, it's saying that one of the best things about this movie is how different it is from other comic book movies.

I like that rivalry a lot. Both are influencing each other. Many Marvel characters were inspired by DC characters (like Thanos being heavily inspired by Darkseid) and vice versa.

Yeah, competition between companies is really nice, because it forces them to have to always better themselves to keep up with the other, so we end up with an overall better product.

Remember the good old days like the Batman the Animated series or Static Shock when shows could tell good moral values without choking us to follow their view points and allowed us to think for ourselves? Good times.

I saw it with a bunch of friends. Thought it was a really good movie, lot more like a horror movie than some normal comic book movie though. The fact that it's its own standalone thing and not bogged down by having to fit into some greater narrative works wonders for it, similar to how a lot of the elseworlds comics are better because they're allowed to be more explorative due to their nature as side stories.

I feel like the "incel incitement" thing is a manufactured controversy to get more clicks on articles tbh, and it's really funny to contrast the viewer scores with critic ones. If anything it kinda backfired, I saw a review that said "Joker is incel friendly" and thought that was hilarious so I wanted to go see it lol

Back