• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What tier is TOAA now after this pathetic display?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a ******* preview.

Can we please not jump the gun, and wait for the full comic with the full context to come out before making any definitive judgments?

And even then, the parts of the comic shown explicitly detailed that Thanos is not limited to a single universe, as he says "my gaze extends beyond even this actuality".

While disagreeing with the language of those mentioned above, I agree we should wait for the offical release before judging it at it's full value. Even with this I see higher than Tier 2 at least.

Recently Marvel has treated its full cosmology as topping out at 2-A, given that gradually destroying all universes was enough to get rid of the Marvel multiverse. However, the AAO/OAA is explicitly beyond all space and time, although it does not seem like he transcends all scale in this story, so maybe it simply means that he is greater than the multiverse.

Maybe, maybe not. In any case, Marvel currently seems to have a much smaller cosmology than we give it credit for.

DarkHunter89 said:
But why? Why do they depower their own verse so horribly right now?
Marvel has never exactly cared about scaling very much, and unlike DC, they tend to incorporate their higher tiers into their stories alot, which depowers almost any character used nonetheless. That's why the Living Tribunal went from the absolute God of Marvel to a High 1-B joke.

Depowering also makes sense from a writing standpoint, as having a roof for how powerful your characters can get is extremely frustrating when you want to do cosmic scale stuff. If Captain America were to stand up against Thanos and disintegrate in a single hit, it wouldn't have made for the strongest moment for the character. Of course, it makes scaling for us a total nightmare, but I think it's fine for the fans if the product they put out is entertaining enough

He admitted to being an aspect of his ascended future self.

It was stated outright that he had temporal omnipresence, so yes.

Shouldn't Thanos get a key on his profile for his Regulator form? I think he's had it long enough for it to be incorporated into his profile.

Let's wait until the Infinity Ending is released in ten days or so.

Zark2099 said:
DarkHunter89 said:
But why? Why do they depower their own verse so horribly right now?
Marvel has never exactly cared about scaling very much, and unlike DC, they tend to incorporate their higher tiers into their stories alot, which depowers almost any character used nonetheless. That's why the Living Tribunal went from the absolute God of Marvel to a High 1-B joke.
Depowering also makes sense from a writing standpoint, as having a roof for how powerful your characters can get is extremely frustrating when you want to do cosmic scale stuff. If Captain America were to stand up against Thanos and disintegrate in a single hit, it wouldn't have made for the strongest moment for the character. Of course, it makes scaling for us a total nightmare, but I think it's fine for the fans if the product they put out is entertaining enough
Are you sure about that? This is merely Jim Starlin's view of the Marvel Cosmic Scaling, and its also his final comic as well.

Based on that, I don't believe this will stick for long and the One-Above-All will go back to the way it was as the ultimate power of the Marvel Cosmos.

So even if it ends up depowered and dethroned for one comic, it doesn't mean that it still isn't all-powerful.

One persons view doesn't change the base continuity of the actual franchise.

If anything, Starlin just wanted to see if he could top his HOTU story before he leaves Marvel.

AAO is the supreme being and ruler of all realities under Starlin, Starlin is marvel canon. as far as current marvel cosmology is concerned AAO is TOAA. There's no evidence to suggest otherwise. In other words, TOAA being Jack Kirby's avatar is likely retconned at this point. So what's the reason of TOAA still staying at tier-0 again?

https://imgur.com/sXgdOJL

I do not think that either Thanos or the AAO seemed to be displayed above tier 2-A in this story.

This is beginning to sound like an attempt to downplay Marvel as a whole.

Nothing in the entirety of Marvel Comics implied that The One Above All was Jack Kirby's avatar specifically. And Above All Others was agreed to be an in-universe avatar of the One Above All, similar to universal M-Bodies of Eternity, Infinity, Death, Oblivion, and the Living Tribunal.

Regular Thanos is 1-A for absorbing the Above All Others, who exists beyond all time and space and is likely above Oblivion.

But then again, we should wait for the full comic anyway, as there might be a twist that renders unreliable any snap judgments made from the information we have now.

Thanos is just shown as one with all universes throughout all time within this comicbook, and again, the Beyonders destroying all universes was enough to get rid of the entire Marvel multiverse, so I think that we likely severely exaggerate the current Marvel cosmology.

Remember there was a time where other Marvel heroes beyond Doc Strange had both Classic and Modern profiles? It's pretty much because mondern Marvel is indeed much more conservative in terms of feats and power for their characters than they were 20+ ago.

This is obviously an other Thanos wins situation.

And we actually do take this seriously wouldn't that make Thanos wins legit too?

Well, that's the problem with comic books in general: inconsistency. One moment, you have a guy who beats the crap out of a guy superior to another guy who exists in a transcendental plane of existence, and moments later, he's only one with all universes.

I think it could also be argued that some comic book writers don't exactly know what they're writing (Like the guy who wrote Secret Wars kept calling the entirety of Marvel a universe).

But, yeah, inconsistency is probably more likely.

We should probably just ignore it since it goes completely against the entire lore of marvel I mean its a huge contradiction

KOME is right I thought we did things case by case especially DC and Marvel and if it's big inconsistent we do not accept it.

And yeah Hickman was the GOAT

Owennoctis said:
I'm sorry but is there any evidence of this statement? scans?
Try basic reading comprehension.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/fc0b7bfd550351c3e4292c14db534236/tumblr_px69zycCr81ynmxwho8_1280.jpg

"Again I have slipped into the state of omnipotence. But this time not by choice. And I am merely part of the all-powerful, but not in control."

Thanos seems to have basically been forced by higher powers (such as higher manifestations of TOAA and maybe even LT) into his current state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back