• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unpopular Opinions and (Friendly) Rant thread

RDT_20240916_1347553795135740687962655.jpg

"We need to find the raw/Japanese version" on the wiki is legit a cop-out for when the English version of something gives a translation someone doesn't like these days
Tbf the minor translation mistake can change everything

The current accepted translation for one of the Netero's feat is "Hundred of thousands of attacks" while the raws say "Hundreds and thousands of attacks"

The minor things changes everything

Sadly it can actually be an legit mistranslation so ig thats why ppl use raws over english
It can and I'm not doubting that, but if someone's given a scan for a feat and their first gut reaction is "check the raws" when there's no reason to believe there's a mistranslation, that's just a genuine cop-out and basically saying "I don't want this feat to be legit"

It can and I'm not doubting that, but if someone's given a scan for a feat and their first gut reaction is "check the raws" when there's no reason to believe there's a mistranslation, that's just a genuine cop-out and basically saying "I don't want this feat to be legit"
Well if the verse is actually known for having ass En translation then i can see why. What i hate more is when feat has an actual legit statement on EN and on raw it sounds as most flowery language ever written so it not only nerfs the feat it makes it non existent

Well if the verse is actually known for having ass En translation then i can see why. What i hate more is when feat has an actual legit statement on EN and on raw it sounds as most flowery language ever written so it not only nerfs the feat it makes it non existent
when there's no reason to believe there's a mistranslation
🗿

"We need to find the raw/Japanese version" on the wiki is legit a cop-out for when the English version of something gives a translation someone doesn't like these days
I'd agree if there wasn't stuff that just wasn't true in certain translations. The One Piece official translations introduced a nonexistent character called the God of Birka in a one-off line, Bleach has a fake Mach 500 statement, Baki has some other feat that isn't real.

"Calling something the speed of light is a common flowery language statement"

No it ******* isn't wdym
Technically it can be like that sometimes if there's really nothing to back up the statement up

I'd agree if there wasn't stuff that just wasn't true in certain translations. The One Piece official translations introduced a nonexistent character called the God of Birka in a one-off line, Bleach has a fake Mach 500 statement, Baki has some other feat that isn't real.
jjk john werry.

Well if the verse is actually known for having ass En translation then i can see why
Yeah I think whether or not the gut reaction to something being "is this what it says in japanese" being warrented really depends on stuff like this. As a Zelda fan I get extremely suspicious if there's a statement that makes a character really powerful, I remember finding a direct statement of Demise creating a realm with a star while going through Skyward Sword and due to how frequently NOA makes mistranslations (Or straight up makes shit up) for the series I had the gut reaction of "Yeah this wasn't translated right" and went out of my way to get the same dialouge in japanese.

Kirby has had some real wackiness. Like an english pause screen description changed a character from using technology to help people in need to "continuing her father's work and mechanizing planets". It's actually insane.
Star Allies localization just botched Susie there and it still annoys me

Just finished Yakuza Kiwami 2. T'was fun, but I'd argue it was less consistent with its own story compared to the previous game(s). Still, it wasn't a bad experience by any means, although the combat felt a bit less refined.

Next up - Yakuza 3

Now for a more indepth take.
Yakuza Kiwami 2 had some issues and some good sides.
I think the story was a bit disjointed and the whole thing with the korean mafia felt dragged out and concluded weakly. The entire finale didn't feel as epic or hype as the finales of 0 or K1. The fights were also ridiculously easy as even the fight with Majima in the colesseum (not the story one, the one you get randomly when doing 4 to 5 star tournaments) was notably harder, at least to me. I am adimttedly playing on normal difficulty but that's because 0 and K1 had some hard fights even on normal where I wasted half my healing items on them (like the two brothers).
I think the antagonists weren't fleshed out enough either. K1 had an issue similar to that with Jingu but at least he was hatable enough to be a good final enemy. Ryuji doesn't have that effect as he is always weak. He was hard in the first fight due to you lacking skills but here it feels like they never even gave him an upgrade. Either way the finale itself was decent but the whole thing with two people coming out in a row and saying "haha, i was the one behind everything all along!" felt silly to me.
The fact that they blocked Sayama twice with the elevator cage to prevent her from stopping the fight between Kiryu and Ryuji feels silly as well.

Now for the game itself, the fights were easier generally once I got used to the system but I don't mind it that much since some fights in previous games were straight up frustrating at times and I like my games to be pleasant. I do miss the battle styles though, I liked training them up and having unique combos and such. Also, maybe I didn't figure something out but the Tiger Drop in this game felt weak. Normally It's easier to use and it does more damage but here it did like half to a higher end goon you meet on the street.
The games felt more advanced though the dart game was a disappointment with how easy it was.
The Majima construction game was difficult to some extent and I'll finish it properly later, although I can't say I didn't enjoy it somewhat.
The cabaret manager game was fun, it's just the same thing from Y0 but I don't mind.

Overall, kind of disjointed, the characters were interesting but a bit too randomly placed and some straight up underdeveloped. The combat is easier and smoother but gets a bit boring once you get seriously strong. Despite that it is a fun experience with good minigames and a decent story. Maybe a 7/10.

Depends on the version. Apparently the reason behind the block spam in the remaster is due to some framerate issues?

Back