• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unpopular Opinions and (Friendly) Rant thread

Free the entire brood and Ishizu cards while youre at it.

The strongest tier zero of the past

vs

The strongest tier zero of today
fr. I just ordered a bunch of tear cards (sheiren, kaleidoheart, and the fusions + king of the swamp) because I love vsauce lore, and testing the deck out, everything is just so inconsistent. banning kit just kills the deck, and I don't feel like playing horus. just unban all the ishizu and tear stuff + grass so I can run 60 card water pile

fr. I just ordered a bunch of tear cards (sheiren, kaleidoheart, and the fusions + king of the swamp) because I love vsauce lore, and testing the deck out, everything is just so inconsistent. banning kit just kills the deck, and I don't feel like playing horus. just unban all the ishizu and tear stuff + grass so I can run 60 card water pile
Okay Satan, lets not get ahead of ourself

Hazbin Hotel have ass design and it's jokes aren't even funny.
As funny as this is, Hazbin Hotel is the definition of acquired tastes.

I think artstyle/designs look great, though the jokes often land flat. Imho, Hazbin Hotel shouldn't have been a story-driven show from the get-go. It shouldn't have been an episodic show with the occasional story arc.

Adventure Time is not as good as everyone hypes it up to be. The show eventually falls off somewhere around halfway during its run when they focus on lore dumping the audience. Plus, a decent portion of the characters are annoying as all hell and aren't funny in the slightest.

Acid is, in my experience, not too bad if you don't go overboard and know what you're getting yourself into. I've only done 1-2 tabs at a time and that's generally a pleasant experience, and I'm usually not so high that I start thinking my hallucinations are real; More often than not, even if I'm hallucinating some really fucked up shit, I'm able to go "oh right, I'm high off my ass rn" and just disregard it. That said, you should probably have someone sober nearby in case things go bad lol

Maybe I've just been lucky enough to not have a bad trip, idk. Haven't tried shrooms yet, either, so it's not like I can compare the two.
Shrooms for me have been easier to manage (except for one time, which was just because it's the only time I started tripping without expecting to)
Maybe I should try acid, but idk where I could even get it in my area

Here's three things:

Touhou's fan base is an absolute unit compared to other's.

Dragon Ball GT isn't that bad.

Apples are better than Oranges.

There's a fairly solid chance nobody here will appreciate my rant, but perhaps it may grant some insight for some:

D&D annoys me. In particular, modern D&D writers annoy me, as many of them seem to hate the old or at the very least are working to appease those who hate what D&D was before they were there.

The rules creator for modern D&D defends a position that there is no canon (not that this is his authority, of course, but it does rustle my feathers). The modern D&D output is almost always some perversion of older ideas chastised for not being a part of the zeitgeist- old content gets rereleased but always with lore alterations.

I know a lot about DnD. More than most. This isn't bragging, it's definitely a cascading result of mental illness only just held at bay- but it's true. So I find it exhausting, in a way, to experience the myriad things changed and revised and removed to make it all palpable for a modern audience. The game swiftly becomes so saccharine that no strife or conflict can realistically exist. Characters diverge from grounded people that rise to attain extraordinary status and capability to childish things with back stories of dragon slaying and army quelling at level 1. In canon!

I am reminded of this discourse because of BG3- I like BG3, but I do so hate that it gets the level of veneration it does when so much of it is just silly. So much is wrong with it.

Anyways. I'll stop being the old man yelling at the clouds, now.

Free the entire brood and Ishizu cards while youre at it.

The strongest tier zero of the past

vs

The strongest tier zero of today
Late response but... hasn't been several duels on youtube between full power Tearlaments vs Snake Eyes and "Tiaraments strongest" absolutely smoked SE?

idk what we ranting about but imma rant on something insignificant that annoys me

i hate it when people who can literally break the sound barrier on thuesday walk get tagged by people with regular speed

i know super speed is a power tends to be that's quite hard to write in a way that doesn't break the story in half but the authors seem hell bent on making the speedster an idiot rather than actually give the power any sort of limitation to balance it out, suffice to say that doesn't make for a compelling story and it makes me annoyed

i want a petition to make a speedster version of one punch man, god damn it, that would be amazing

idk what we ranting about but imma rant on something insignificant that annoys me

i hate it when people who can literally break the sound barrier on thuesday walk get tagged by people with regular speed

i know super speed is a power tends to be that's quite hard to write in a way that doesn't break the story in half but the authors seem hell bent on making the speedster an idiot rather than actually give the power any sort of limitation to balance it out, suffice to say that doesn't make for a compelling story and it makes me annoyed

i want a petition to make a speedster version of one punch man, god damn it, that would be amazing
Speedster version of Saitama Will still have ridiculous AP considering E=mc² and Kinetic Energy.

Speedster version of Saitama Will still have ridiculous AP considering E=mc² and Kinetic Energy.
i don't think that would work unless the setting is capped at relativistic velocities

as a bonus,at that speed air compresses to a degree that would produce plasma and result in an explosion of heat and light so you would melt and blind your opponents before you even touch any of them lol

Welp...let's see

(1044 One Piece spoilers)
I don't think this should be a hot take but here we are
While the reveal/build-up wasn't good, the Nika fruit is far from a retcon or a plot-hole, people just don't understand that the WG wants the fruit and couldn't give 2 ***** about the user (if you kill the user, a Zoan with a will of its own is going to reincarnate on the other side of the fking planet) until they come close to a potential awakening, expecially since that risks secrecy.
Also G5 is a masterpiece and would have been worth a plot hole AND a retcon regardeless.

"army solo" feats are turbo-dubious to use for skill

4-->2--->5---->1->3 (yes, the number of "-" is intentional and implies a ranking)
if you guessed Jojo parts ranking you'd be right, sadly I haven't got past these yet so I can't speak for the others. If you're wondering, 1->3 is like that because 1, unlike 3, is short

A LOT of the problems people have with the Wheel of Time come down to:
"This character isn't acting the way I think they should, nor are they doing this obviously better thing, this must mean they're stupid and/or insufferable...it can't be the fact that there's a gaping, bottomless hole of pure wrongness right besides my reasoning and I'm just refusing to see it"

These were (I think) the least controverial ones I have currently listed on my computer, if I enjoy this I'll likely post more later
Second and last attempt with the spicier ones

D&D and TTRPGs in general

People who think character optimization is bad in D&D (and other games as well but D&D is the big one) and/or that you can't do it AND have good role-play at the same time shouldn't be allowed to get within 3 kilometers of a game table.

One Piece

While it would be boring on it's own, Haki is possibly the best secondary/complementary power system in...at least in manga and (while Oda should be more consistent in it's portrayal) I can't think of a single series with an already established magic system that wouldn't benefit (at least a little) from adding it.
Now this does come with a few caveats:
1) Haki lets you resist the main "hax" abilities of the verse it is put in.
2) Internal destruction (Beyond Advanced Buso) may need to go depending on the verse.
3) Idk, I just wanted a "3" here to justify using numbers, if I (or you) can find another one I'll edit it in.

(I'm about to be shot for this one I feel)

Having read about the first half of the first and all of the second...Beserk and Attack on Titan are overrated (keep in mind, things tend to be overrated when they're good to begin with). I suspect a lot of it comes from the gore and...other...stuff they use, making people falsely believe the story to be more "mature" and/or "realistic" than others based on that alone.

Skill?

Skill debates can be fun and are important in a fight, though not always and not as important as some people seem to think.
There should also be more "ties".
Finally, clearly phisically impossible "skill feats" (from cutting space to dodging rain or anything that doesn't leave enough space to dodge to sensing stuff from other dimentions and more) should not be treated as anythting but powers, AT MOST letting one "scale" above another in-verse (as flawed of a reasoning as "skill-scaling" can become)

Stats
Stat equal matches should be added to profiles, you just need to create proper rules and regulations and it can (and will) work just as well as, if not better than, speed equalization

Zelda

Skyward Sword is one of the best Zelda games and I enjoyed it more than OoT (I'm moving to an underground bunker, you can't get me)

Zelda again, this time TotK
The improved sage pacts should give you the champion abilities from BotW, the reason why Link doesn't have them anymore is stupid enough, at least this would have remedied that.
You should be able to get at least some of the Shiekah Slate's abilities back (in a perfect world...all of them aside from Magnesis).
Game's still great though. (this is not the hot take lol)

Bang! (no, not the card game, sadly)

Guns in near-enough all of "superpower/fantasy fiction" are turbo-cringe and they should be removed from any story the moment a character tanks being thrown through buildings and/or dodges anything resembling a lightning bolt (or other feats on that scale and above)
They're also cringe irl but that's a whole different conversation that we won't get into here.

I'm probably forgetting some but this should work for now

People who think character optimization is bad in D&D (and other games as well but D&D is the big one) and/or that you can't do it AND have good role-play at the same time shouldn't be allowed to get within 3 kilometers of a game table.
Agreed, with the slight change of "shouldn't be allowed to get within 3 kilometers of my game table".

One tries to be tolerant of choices and ideologies one does not agree with from a foundational level. As they say, to each their own. I mean that literally. **** up your own table with other people who want it ****** up, leave me out of it.

that said, as the DM, not every character needs to be turbo yoked all the time, I like a middle ground for my players

Agreed, with the slight change of "shouldn't be allowed to get within 3 kilometers of my game table".

One tries to be tolerant of choices and ideologies one does not agree with from a foundational level. As they say, to each their own. I mean that literally. ** up your own table with other people who want it **** up, leave me out of it.

that said, as the DM, not every character needs to be turbo yoked all the time, I like a middle ground for my players
That's fair, I was a bit too harsh but I wanted to get the point across

(also yes, it's just as fine to NOT optimize characters obviously)

While it would be boring on it's own, Haki is possibly the best secondary/complementary power system in...at least in manga and (while Oda should be more consistent in it's portrayal) I can't think of a single series with an already established magic system that wouldn't benefit (at least a little) from adding it.
Only if you get Conqueror's outta there. Conqueror's Haki is so ass. Like I get it has to exist so Luffy isn't boxing random goons all the time but like "yeah some guys are just assigned top tier at birth" sucks.

Only if you get Conqueror's outta there. Conqueror's Haki is so ass. Like I get it has to exist so Luffy isn't boxing random goons all the time but like "yeah some guys are just assigned top tier at birth" sucks.
Anyone in the verse being able to resist it with just willpower (a.k.a what makes people important in anime) makes it less worse. Too bad the other use so far is kinda just "generic damage amp" wich is a bit uncreative when we already have Buso.

I mean...the "assigned top tier at birth" is only a thing if you let it (which admittedly Oda kind of does...to a point) since it is just an AP amp and a willpower slap, if you're strong willed enough to whitstand it then it's just an AP amp on "I cast fist", which any verse with decent versatility can handle, but I wouldn't be opposed to removing it for simplicity's sake.
Anyone in the verse being able to resist it with just willpower (a.k.a what makes people important in anime) makes it less worse. Too bad the other use so far is kinda just "generic damage amp" wich is a bit uncreative when we already have Buso.
Yeah this is why I said that Haki alone would have been boring. I was also kind of disappointed by it being just an AP amp (expecially after looking at Ashura which many people were theorizing had something to do with it)

Back