• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unpopular Opinions and (Friendly) Rant thread

Captain Planet was kind of a dick sometimes. Bro threw a nuclear plant into space as if that would IMPROVE the environment.

Well, time to give my own two cents. Most of my unpopular opinions are gonna be with VSBW
Anyways, first opinion
Sonic gets absolutely minced by a good portion of other Tier 2 characters, he aint all that tough tbh

Because his reason for getting strong was "everyone in my village died :("
It honestly would of been fine if he wasn't so ridiculously OP and the whole story was setting him up as this cool, badass mysterious character that you wanna find more about.
Character gets his village slaughtered which causes him to be op while the story sets him up as a cool badass mysterious character and falls short of what most people previously thought in that aspect?

This is literally Sasuke and no one gives him flak for that.

Because his reason for getting strong was "everyone in my village died :("
It honestly would of been fine if he wasn't so ridiculously OP and the whole story was setting him up as this cool, badass mysterious character that you wanna find more about.
Also, his strength was warranted from a narrative standpoint. What Jiren represented was really good for that arc: isolation particularly due to his overwhelming strength. He saw power, or a lack thereof, as the reason he couldn't save his village (or parents if you go with the manga version). This also highlighted in the anime by the fact that he's never seen fighting alongside his teammates. When Toppo and Dyspo tried fighting UI Goku, Jiren stepped in and made it a 1v1. He's never asked for assistance from his allies, but instead dealt with everyone himself.

Even when you look at the finale of the arc (which had the theme of trust and teamwork versus relying solely on yourself), the defeat of Jiren wasn't one which proved his philosophy about absolute power correct. Even though MUI Goku was stronger than him, the win came from the combined effort of Goku and his trust in an enemy of his and someone who's former objective was to kill him.

Could the execution have been better? Sure.

Was his backstory cliche? Yeah.

Was he boring? Little bit.

Was he a badly written character as a whole? I don't believe so.

not only is this just wrong, people give flak to Sasuke for this anyway.
Which one of those criteria does he not meet? The village part? The not being OP part? Not being intended to be a cool mystery character? I'll admit, my view of Naruto is a bit negatively biased but I don't see how this doesn't match what Sasuke was. And you do know Sasuke is one of the most liked characters in Naruto while people think Jiren is the worst villain in the entire show?

I'm just saying it's a gross interpretation of Sasuke
It's a gross interpretation of Jiren as well but that's not the point. The point isn't whether or not it matches the depths and complexities of the character (I know Sasuke is more than just that) it's about whether the very vague description could match X character. I think simplifying both Jiren and Sasuke to just that is bad but I'm using Sasuke as an example to show why it's a bad interpretation that shouldn't be used in the first place with a more popular & more liked character.

It's a gross interpretation of Jiren as well but that's not the point. The point isn't whether or not it matches the depths and complexities of the character (I know Sasuke is more than just that) it's about whether the very vague description could match X character. I think simplifying both Jiren and Sasuke to just that is bad but I'm using Sasuke as an example to show why it's a bad interpretation that shouldn't be used in the first place with a more popular & more liked character.
tengen-could-never-be-the-traitor-v0-hqdrz5pwg53c1.png

Back