• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unpopular Opinions and (Friendly) Rant thread

Idk about best written game ever but I agree that its an amazing game, love it.
Fr, it's peak

Btw, kinda off topic, but do you believe Baki vs Cid Kagenou might be a good match-up? I would like to make a thread for Baki and Cid seems to coincidentally have similar physical ap and good skill.

Sonic Mania is overrated and mediocre. The only reason Mania is well recieved is because Sonic fans are slave to Nostalgia.

As someone who hasn't played a lot of Sonic games, Mania was a 10/10 it deserves its reputation.
It is a well made game because most of the stages are based on older stages from Sonic 1 to 3&K.
It does NOT deserve to be critically acclaimed. The only reason it is what it is now is because Sonic games have been mediocre and fans just wanted that old 2D Classic feelings.

Also I love how Mania and Superstars weren't developed by Sonic Team but by Christian Whitehead and Azrest.
The last good Sonic Team game was Lost World (I actually like Lost World despite it being a SMG wannabe). Forces was god-awful and Frontiers was and still is mediocre

Average Sonic Twitter user type of opinion ngl.

In my opinion Mania was super fun. It is interactive, has a lot of movement, has very cool level design and level mechanics, the music is amazing, the bosses are fun for the most part.
There were issues, I admit. Some bosses felt a bit cheap (first boss was annoying to deal with, giant caterpillar is garbage, wasn't a fan of Metal Sonic's final phase), Flying Battey felt too long, Oil Ocean is kinda annoying and confusing. I also am not a fan of how much time you're given in the final level.
Otherwise, I had tons of fun playing it. I don't play sonic games that much but I've played a few levels of Generations, Superstars and the OG three games, Advance and 4. I didn't find them nearly as entertaining or captivating.
Sonic Mania felt like I was in a world, while the other games felt... Lonely? Idk why but the Mania world always feels alive while the games I mentioned mostly don't give the same feeling except maybe for Sonic 3. Idk how to explain it properly.

Either way I don't think Mania is overrated. I think it is a 8.5/10.

I actually like the Wearhog parts. Easier to appreciate the map more and the inspiration taken from real world locations. And it's fun if you like, don't put every point into Daytime Sonic and put some into Wearhog Sonic.

Also, Unleashed has the best final boss theme and opening song. Endless Possibilities goes HARD.

Sorry but i don't agree in the slightest. Cars is a bad movie at it's very core, the entire concept of the movie is dumb and this is especially bad considering that Pixar is known for making movies with clever concepts, Toy Story and Inside Out being the best examples of this trend. Cars is also one of the longest movies Pixar has ever made, being 117 minutes long. Add Lightning McQueen, an incredibly unbearable protagonist, to all of that and what you get is an incredibly unbearable movie.

After everything i've said, if you still want to watch Cars for it's "pleasant story and visuals", just watch Surf's Up. It's a movie that does everything Cars does, but better in every single way.
So you dislike the concept even though like half of pixar's movies are "what if X were like actual people with personalities"
You dislike the length even though it feels short as it is
You say McQueen is annoying even though his whole character arc is going from annoying to pretty cool
And you say it is an unbearable movie even though me and others like it throughout all this time

Overall, L take, and Surf's up about surfing, not racing.

I like Cars. It's simple, and I love the more rural area setting it takes place at in Radiator Springs. McQueen does have good development, understandable that he's stressed out about being sentenced to work over a misunderstanding, yet hes still arrogant. But by being at the Springs, he sees the simpler life and how there's more to see. Good film.

His character arc has to make sense first and McQueen's arc doesn't. He's not given any nice or enjoyable qualities during the first half of the movie to make me care about him changing by the end (change that is poorly done btw)
That's the point? He is an arrogant person taught to become a good person. You don't have to immediately love the MC in a movie bruv, that's never how it has been. If you require to be spoon-fed an immediately good protagonist for you to enjoy a story then idk what else to say, you do you.
People with bad taste enjoying bad movies.
Oh so you just decided to drop the act and call out people personally ey? Here I thought you were arguing like a normal chap but instead you're one of those people on a high horse who thinks their opinion is objective lmao.

Better design: While i love the more simplistic design of Frieza and Cell (Perfect Cell at least), there's something about Raditz's design that just does it for me. His long hair, his scouter, his armor, etc.
This is kinda true. His design doesn't have a lot of the flaws the others have. He looks cooler than Pilaf, Tao, Commander Red, Tien, King Piccolo, etc. He has a more distinctive hairstyle than Vegeta, whose hair was kind of just made into the basic SSJ hair. While his is similar to SSJ3, that transformation is almost never used. He doesn't have Ginyu's weird pulsating head, or Frieza's weird bulgy muscles, or Cell's Semi-perfect form. Arguably, the only characters whose designs I prefer are the peak-design forms of later antagonists, and also Piccolo Jr, who is one of the aesthetically best villains in the series.
Better motivations: Most villains have three simple goals, they either want to conquer the world or the universe, they want immortality or they want to kill Goku. Raditz wanted something different, he wanted Goku to join him.
Personally, I like villains that are just hungy. But also, I completely agree.
His relationship to the protagonist: Pretty straightforward, he's Goku's brother.
Objectively correct take btw.
The way he's defeated was unique and creative: Most villains in Dragon Ball are defeated in simple ways like being atomized with a Spirit Bomb or with a Kamehameha. The way Raditz was defeated was more violent and required a sacrifice from Goku no less. He also forced Goku and Piccolo to team up against him (they were archenemies before)
This is also true, sort of. However, a solid majority of original-series antagonists were defeated in strange and creative ways, or by Goku's friends helping him.
He didn't overstay his welcome: Unlike Frieza who keeps coming back in Dragon Ball Super and becomes a bit tedious.
Let's be honest, Raditz staying around would have been great.

He fulfilled his role in the story, i don't see where else they could go with his character.
MasakoX reading this:

Dean Norris' Reaction | Know Your Meme

I never said the MC has to be a good person from the start but he does have to have at least some good qualities for me to care about him. McQueen is a self-absorbed asshole for most of the movie so don't judge me for thinking the movie is unbearable. This could be forgiven if his bad traits where at least funny or played for laughs, but that's not the case here.
Less than half, but ok.

Cause it ain't mid. It only looks mid in comparison to Pixar's catalogue which was made entirely out of 9/10's before Cars. Maybe except for A Bug's Life.
Crazy how Pixar was throwing out banger after banger until Toy Story 3. After that they had some hiccups, some very big hiccups, but they're picking themselves up now. With the exception of Lightyear, every current decade Pixar movie ranges from good to excellent.

Crazy how Pixar was throwing out banger after banger until Toy Story 3. After that they had some hiccups, some very big hiccups, but they're picking themselves up now. With the exception of Lightyear, every current decade Pixar movie ranges from good to excellent.
Turning Red is mid af. Carried by people who have parental issues going "OMG so relatable". Aside from that you are spitting facts.

Cars 1 is good, 6/10 at worst. Unfortunate how its the only good cars film in the entire trilogy (Not a hot take just wanted to throw it out there)

Back