• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Touhou Discussion Thread 3 ⌈Eternal Fantasy Edition⌋

From what I've been told the penance stare forces you to relive all the pain and misery you've inflicted upon others throughout all of your life. So it's basically pain manipulation + emotion manipulation which I doubt most 2hus could resist.

It also obliterates the soul but I don't know how layered and strong it is. Maybe I can summon a Marvel fan to educate me? Either way it seems the Tohitas resist getting their soul obliterated. I doubt they could resist the pain + emotion manipulation.
I thought it was some Morality Manipulation, guess not. Would it really even kill a youkai?
I doubt I'd kill a youkai permanently. Probably stun them.

My instincts are telling me that Seiga wouldn't survive it and that Seija would suffer the most from the penance stare.
Miyoi might be the least sinful Touhou so maybe she'd survive it? (Would the Penance stare make her ultradrunk for serving whine and beer to others?)

Also, I got info on the times the Penance stare failed to work.
• Thanos enjoyed all his evil acts
(I can't think of a Tohita that doesn't enjoy being evil)
Punisher doesn't regret his evil
(The only Toha with regret is Mokou to my knowledge. She did kill an innocent person and regrets it)
Deadpool is too crazy
(Koishi would no sell it?)
• Captain Marvel is tired of feeling guilty
(I could survive the Penance stare)
• Hulk's revenge is justified
(Junko did nothing wrong)

(The power went out in my whole neighborhood in the middle of writing this on my PC so I will leave this comment unfinished until the power returns. I am typing this using the mobile data of my phone BTW. I'll log off before I consume too much data.)

So uh

In further canon-related news, there's a non-zero chance that IRL inspirations for Touhou (that is to say, the various religious beliefs and myths the series is based on) are canon. This was already sort of implied by Fragment of Phantasy, but I recently found a WoG statement that all but confirms this to be the case, so I'm really not sure where to go from here in terms of research aside from making my secondary/tertiary canon section in the doc like 20 times longer.

The idea of having the real Lafcadio Hearn be referenced alongside Maribel and Yukari is really funny to me, to be honest.

So you fight ZUN huh?
Seems like if Ultima gets his way, there aint gonna be any R>F interactions with ZUN.

Also holy 137 pages of research

So uh

In further canon-related news, there's a non-zero chance that IRL inspirations for Touhou (that is to say, the various religious beliefs and myths the series is based on) are canon. This was already sort of implied by Fragment of Phantasy, but I recently found a WoG statement that all but confirms this to be the case, so I'm really not sure where to go from here in terms of research aside from making my secondary/tertiary canon section in the doc like 20 times longer.

The idea of having the real Lafcadio Hearn be referenced alongside Maribel and Yukari is really funny to me, to be honest.
SO, since Utusho either has, or claims to have the power of Yatagarasu, yknow, the sun bird.....oh boy.

So you fight ZUN huh?
Seems like if Ultima gets his way, there aint gonna be any R>F interactions with ZUN.

Also holy 137 pages of research
No, but several characters do fight a guy who fights ZUN. Also, Touhou already has a trillion anti-feats for R > F but they're almost entirely handwaved away by various verse mechanics.

Kinda half-tempted to post another Yukari MU. Dont know with who though. Sailor Moon sounds funny (though i heard (key word: heard) that Moon could solo Touhou (i highly doubt that but K.
What do yall think?

So uh

are you saying that touhou could also follow the mythological configuration?

Maybe. VSBW is very strict when it comes to adapting religion directly. I'd imagine the same goes for myths and folklore.
By the way Fuji, While you're on the topic of canon... Inaba of moon earth has an explicit canon ? Or if its events are mentioned later in the canon ? Since apparently it seems doubtful the canon of that manga and the wikis don't help enough, Will it be explained more in detail when the canon blog is updated ?

By the way Fuji, While you're on the topic of canon... Inaba of moon earth has an explicit canon ? Or if its events are mentioned later in the canon ? Since apparently it seems doubtful the canon of that manga and the wikis don't help enough, Will it be explained more in detail when the canon blog is updated ?
It has a lot going for it in terms of being canon. The plot outline for each chapter was made by ZUN, he's credited on the front page of every volume, events from the manga are referenced in later works, and the series notably lacks the "Touhou Project derivative work" blurb that's required of all fan works under ZUN's guidelines. It's also been advertised side by side with other canon content.

...That said, SCoOW designates the series as a "secondary work" (although the fighting games are also secondary works, and ZUN considers his own games secondary works, so that may not be a huge deal), and a bonus comic heavily implies the series is just an exaggerated retelling of real events.

Imo, it should just be treated as secondary canon. The points for it being canon are a lot more explicit than the points against, but the points against it being canon shouldn't be discredited entirely, I feel.

It has a lot going for it in terms of being canon. The plot outline for each chapter was made by ZUN, he's credited on the front page of every volume, events from the manga are referenced in later works, and the series notably lacks the "Touhou Project derivative work" blurb that's required of all fan works under ZUN's guidelines. It's also been advertised side by side with other canon content.

...That said, SCoOW designates the series as a "secondary work" (although the fighting games are also secondary works, and ZUN considers his own games secondary works, so that may not be a huge deal), and a bonus comic heavily implies the series is just an exaggerated retelling of real events.

Imo, it should just be treated as secondary canon. The points for it being canon are a lot more explicit than the points against, but the points against it being canon shouldn't be discredited entirely, I feel.
Yeah but. How much does it affect that the events or the story are an exaggerated retelling? like Eirin getting sick. there is also the fact that ZUN was actually vaguely involved in the creation of that work stated by him in the 2009 Nae Radio interview. Also, in how many works are the events mentioned? since Hisoutensoku seems to be the only one where they are mentioned unless there is something to prove that they are not only mentioned in that game.

Touhoubros, which Tohitas would and wouldn't get affected by the Penance stare?

Which Tohitas would get affected but couldn't/could survive it?

(I might make this idea a fun & games thread if I see that enough people like the idea)

Hey, yall, ive been wanting to do a Byakuren MU, but my question is......how much prep time does she usually need? Doesnt it only take her a few second at most to wave her scroll of infinite power and gain all its benefits?
Flonne from Disgea/Nipponverse (This her combatant in question, btw) unless funny AP stomp go brrrrrrr

SPOILER_image.png

She's so cool.

Hey. This adds other justification that Youkai can regen (she was stabbed and stomped by flandre and she regenerated and recovered instantly lol.)

Another question
Sanae vs Luigi. Speed equal, im thinking of several rounds
Round 1 being Sanae vs Dreamy Luigi, but with optional equips and god summoning restricted
Round 2 being the same, but all optional stuff is granted
Round 3 is yet the same, but Sanae is sick of Luigi's shit and brings Suwako/Kanako to the party

i feel like this is going to be yet another stomp MU but i try

I dunno, i know Sanae likes her retro consoles, but she isnt stupid. Im pretty sure she'd be able to sus that out (And when she summons Suwako/Kanako they would just tell her anyways)

Another question
Round 1 being Sanae vs Dreamy Luigi, but with optional equips and god summoning restricted
Round 3 is yet the same, but Sanae is sick of Luigi's shit and brings Suwako/Kanako to the party

Maybe its a stomp? (When this verse gets 2-B yeah) bc, Sanae scales to doremy that a lot of AP i think

Yeah, Sanae gets Doremy scaling, but i mean, it is Dreamy Luigi. Its also why i restricted god summoning to the last round (because Suwako and Kanako would make the funny green man vanish)
Maybe its a stomp? (When this verse gets 2-B yeah) bc, Sanae scales to doremy that a lot of AP i think

But i honestly do wish to get Fuji's perspective on things before i make a thread on it (so i dont waste people's time with a pointless stomp)

Another question

@Mad_Dog_of_Fujiwara Apologies for the ping, but i want to see if this MU is a stomp or not (so i know not to post it and waste everyone time lol)

All I am hearing is that Dreamy Luigi vs Sanae should be done and Sanae should have her optional equipment. Just saying.

I mean, i gave Sanae all her optional stuff in rounds 2 and 3. Can concede round 1 is a stomp for Luigi
Though, how is Round 3 an Incon? Can Suwako/Kanako willingly turn into their Nameless forms/Use those powers? Because Luigi sure as hell aint killing them for good, and as long as theyre around, im pretty sure they can keep Sanae alive for as long as they need to

Though, how is Round 3 an Incon? Can Suwako/Kanako willingly turn into their Nameless forms/Use those powers? Because Luigi sure as hell aint killing them for good, and as long as theyre around, im pretty sure they can keep Sanae alive for as long as they need to
Nameless forms are directly equated with a form of "death" for gods, they're not like going Super Saiyan. Gods are still effectively immortal even without returning to their nameless state (unless Luigi has layered concept erasure I'm not aware of), so it'd just be an incon.

Also

Mizuchi is literally becoming one of those Agenda Piece memes and it's so fucking funny. Beats Fujiwara "Massive Fucking Jobber" no Mokou, offscreens everybody else, and then immediately fucks off when actually challenged.
IMG_2699.png

Nameless forms are directly equated with a form of "death" for gods, they're not like going Super Saiyan. Gods are still effectively immortal even without returning to their nameless state (unless Luigi has layered concept erasure I'm not aware of), so it'd just be an incon.
Huh, i see. Wouldnt there be some way for them to bypass Luigi's Ress? I dont see any means of soulhax resist on Luigi's profile
I mean. Kanako has Dimensional Travel. Would it be possible for her to somehow get Luigi out of the Dream World and return him to less power state?

Feels like Sanae or her patrons has a way past that

FINALLY, MIZUCHI GOT CAUGHT, ******* FINALLY. I liked this chapter. Satori's plan made a lot of sense in retrospective and she successfully put Mizuchi in a position she can't escape from. My only issue is why everyone didn't start jumping Mizuchi once she stopped possessing Satori? Are they stupid? Either way she's trapped in the underground now. I can only see Mizuchi escape through bad writing. Either a character does something stupid and gives her the opportunity to escape (Like what has happened before) or she pulls an asspull ability out of nowhere that lets her escape. Either way I just hope the series ends here, it seems like a nice place to end it in rather than make the same repetitive song and dance of Mizuchi escaping due to her plot armor.

Back