• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Touhou Discussion Thread 3 ⌈Eternal Fantasy Edition⌋

HER DESIGN IS REALLY STUPID AND I NEED TO EMPHASIZE THAT THIS IS A GOOD THING
image.png
GAL IS LIKE SHE JUST WENT OUT FROM ASYLUM AND STOLE THE DRUGS THERE LULULULUL

I'm already seeing some mixed reactions between my Oomfies, some saying it's not lesbian, others saying it is.

It seems very lesbian to me though.

I hope that grape lady gets into a romantic relationship.

I realized that my previous tier lists weren't objective enough, so I started comparing the designs of the Newhous to Reimu's designs across the years (Reimu is perfect) so here are my thoughts on the Newhous.
GraphicDesignIsMyPassion.png

Thoughts? Are my opinions cringy, and I should be burned at a steak? Are my tastes good? Are my opinions mediocre? How would y'all tier the Newhous on the Reimumeter?

I didn't have time to articulate it earlier because work sucks but

**** man

it's insane how Touhou finally has extremely clear cut lesbian representation. Even the stuff that isn't literally "character directly stated to have a crush and masochistic desires towards another character", like Chen and Orin, is still pretty hard to miss. It's kind of surreal to have it finally happen this explicitly?

I didn't have time to articulate it earlier because work sucks but

**** man

it's insane how Touhou finally has extremely clear cut lesbian representation. Even the stuff that isn't literally "character directly stated to have a crush and masochistic desires towards another character", like Chen and Orin, is still pretty hard to miss. It's kind of surreal to have it finally happen this explicitly?
The grape lady is so lesbian that some Oomfies that think that there are no canon LGBT+ characters in Touhou are admitting that grape lady is a lesbian.

Grape lady is too strong...

image.png
Reimu on normal was a breeze but Sanae ******* sucks. I hate Zemnu, I absolutely despise her. All I feel towards her is hate. The other bosses felt fair yet difficult. Zemnu just constantly spawned Undyne's lances right on top of me. It spawned on me, it telefragged me. Awful boss, I hate her, she's badly designed. The difficulty jump of other bosses towards Zemnu is insane.

Also, I must mention I am starting to warm up to Goku. She's very cute and adorable, I love her.

I just hope that the other characters are as good as Reimu or better because there will be no point in trying to farm for the other characters if they suck. I heard Mamizou is the worst, bummer, a friend and I really like her character.
I also heard that Marisa sucks more than Sanae.

I hope Zemnu isn't the final boss of Marisa... I want the pain to stop. Overall, I was having fun until Zemnu existed. **** Zemnu. She's the worst Nehou. Forget everything I said about that fake Puerto Rican. Zemnu is worse.

I will continue playing tomorrow. I love the grape lady and I want to put her as my profile picture, but I will only feel worthy of using her as my profile picture if I manage to unlock her and complete a playthrough using her.

image.png
Reimu on normal was a breeze but Sanae ******* sucks. I hate Zemnu, I absolutely despise her. All I feel towards her is hate. The other bosses felt fair yet difficult. Zemnu just constantly spawned Undyne's lances right on top of me. It spawned on me, it telefragged me. Awful boss, I hate her, she's badly designed. The difficulty jump of other bosses towards Zemnu is insane.

Also, I must mention I am starting to warm up to Goku. She's very cute and adorable, I love her.

I just hope that the other characters are as good as Reimu or better because there will be no point in trying to farm for the other characters if they suck. I heard Mamizou is the worst, bummer, a friend and I really like her character.

I hope Zemnu isn't the final boss of Marisa... I want the pain to stop. Overall, I was having fun until Zemnu existed. **** Zemnu. She's the worst Nehou. Forget everything I said about that fake Puerto Rican. Zemnu is worse.

I will continue playing tomorrow. I love the grape lady and I want to put her as my profile picture, but I will only feel worthy of using her as my profile picture if I manage to unlock her and complete a playthrough using her.
Skill issue

Anyway, overall TH19 is amazing but the balance in PVE is nuts lel, if you are not Reimu or Zanmu then you will suffer so badly in higher diff
Final Boss Zanmu on lunatic diff is surpassing Yumemi it's threatening lmao, conbined with her theme and her in story role and voila, ABSOLUTE HOPELESS
Dunno for PVP stuff but i can see the balance there is better than PVE but we need more time

honestly, with this balance and difficulty spikes, i'm kinda glad that Youmu isn't here otherwise the game will be even more broken lel

POFV is still on ths top with PODD and th19 behind of it

It's not a skill issue. She telefrags lances on top of you. That's objectively bad video game design.

I didn't had the same issues with the other bosses because they didn't keep spawning undodgeable proyectiles on top of me.
Git gud and bad game design? Nah sound balanced to me 🗿

image.png

I can understand that, I had similar feelings facing the Egg Saucer in Sonic Advance 2, I ended up hating Knuckles for a while because of it.

Now i'm interested on what conversation that Ran have with Mamizou and Tsukasa, one for relationship reason and one for foxes reason

And welp, Ran is the 4th MC on this game, she's joining Cirno and Aya now for the "other MC" gang

Don't worry Sumirekobros, we'll get that "the 7th major MC" slot, we just need to believe!

These bitches ain't built for PoFV street, cuh.
That reminds me. A lot of my friends insulted Touhou 19 for lacking stages, scores, replays and an ex stage along with several other things yet they praised PoFV a lot.

Maybe I should play PoFV later to see if ZUN ****** up or not.

Touhou 19 lacks the cool boss health bar system that PoFV had. Touhou's 19 boss health bars are there for decoration. They don't do anything.

That being said, apparently Sanae is the worst character in the game according to my Oomfies. So if I had an awful experience using her it means it can only go up from here.
Up towards unlocking Grapehou...

EX stage never exist in this format, PODD and POFV had shown that so that complaint doesn't make sense
As for your friends who hate Zanmu boss fight, same as you: Git Gud and Skill Issue 🗿

Score is just for sweaty gamers tbh but i can see why, same on replays
More stages isn't a good complaint tbh, as for the boss health bar system? Let's say it exclusively only for POFV, PODD didn't have that iirc

EX stage never exist in this format, PODD and POFV had shown that so that complaint doesn't make sense
As for your friends who hate Zanmu boss fight, same as you: Git Gud and Skill Issue 🗿
Fair.
I've fought Zanmu with Reimu and Marisa, and it seems that Sanae is straight up ass. The worst character in the game.
Also, they don't suck. They do Lunatic 1CCs all the time. It would be unfair to say they have skill issues just because they think Zamnu is bullshit (She is)
Score is just for sweaty gamers tbh but i can see why, same on replays
They're sweaty gamers and they like that feature. I don't see why removing features that sweaty gamers like is a good thing.
More stages isn't a good complaint tbh
I should ask them to clarify what they mean by stages. I didn't understand that part very well but eh.
as for the boss health bar system? Let's say it exclusively only for POFV, PODD didn't have that iirc
Well, PODD didn't have that feature because it was an PC98 game, one of the first games. It's normal for old games to lack good features. As for why Touhou 19 didn't have a health bar system? No idea. It's a shame it doesn't have that feature, it's an interesting feature to see how much health a boss has left.

Unrelated, but I beat Reimu's story, Marisa's story and Sanae's story on normal mode.
Reimu is the best character so far, Marisa is good. Sanae is terrible, I hate her.

I will increase the difficulty to hard mode after I unlock most characters and complete Grape Lady's story (Was her name Hasumi?) and if I still want to play the game after unlocking her.

Also, they don't suck. They do Lunatic 1CCs all the time. It would be unfair to say they have skill issues just because they think Zamnu is bullshit (She is)
Tell them to play PODD in lunatic and fought Yumemi, if they can then i'll be convinced lel
They're sweaty gamers and they like that feature. I don't see why removing features that sweaty gamers like is a good thing.
Casual
Then again, in other hand scoring isn't that much needed if you don't interested on rank, but in other hand the high level players wouldn't have a thing they can proud of
Well, PODD didn't have that feature because it was an PC98 game, one of the first games. It's normal for old games to lack good features. As for why Touhou 19 didn't have a health bar system? No idea. It's a shame it doesn't have that feature, it's an interesting feature to see how much health a boss has left.
Mainly because of the card mechanic i think, each this format has their own gimmicks, that's what i take, while PODD doesn't have it, it's mostly has the most effective gameplay out of the three

Tell them to play PODD in lunatic and fought Yumemi, if they can then i'll be convinced lel
I talked to one of them and he said that he 1CC'd every character in Touhou 3 on Lunatic mode. Others in that friend group scale to have similar gaming skills. So yeah, you can take their opinions into account.
Also you're starting to sound like the "If you don't have a 1CC of Touhou on hard mode or higher, your opinion on Touhou doesn't matter" people from Twitter. :v
Casual
Then again, in other hand scoring isn't that much needed if you don't interested on rank, but in other hand the high level players wouldn't have a thing they can proud of
Yeah, that, that's why I'm critical of ZUN not adding a feature other games had.
Mainly because of the card mechanic i think, each this format has their own gimmicks, that's what i take, while PODD doesn't have it, it's mostly has the most effective gameplay out of the three
Eh, I don't see why he should be removing features simply because he added ability cards.

Also, while on the topic of Ability Cards. ZUN should have added the option to choose which ability cards you can get. Being forced to use the same ability cards is pretty lame.

I also want to mention that I completed Ran's story on normal mode. She is by far the most fun character. She is strong too. Not objectively better than Reimu or Marisa but rather more fun.
Screenshot_92.jpg

I found an Outerversal Yukari feat.

She made this person who could only imagine things as blurry be capable of imagining apples in vivid detail :v
Clearly Outerversal.

Eh, I don't see why he should be removing features simply because he added ability cards.
To make them standone and unique for each others, that's why
Also, while on the topic of Ability Cards. ZUN should have added the option to choose which ability cards you can get. Being forced to use the same ability cards is pretty lame.
This i fully agree lel, it's fun system but only one forced to you will make it repetitive
I also want to mention that I completed Ran's story on normal mode. She is by far the most fun character. She is strong too. Not objectively better than Reimu or Marisa but rather more fun.
Good that Ran is actually good, Seiran is from what i heard is good too
Screenshot_92.jpg
Is that Yukari sitting?

To make them standone and unique for each others, that's why

This i fully agree lel, it's fun system but only one forced to you will make it repetitive
Rather than unique it makes the game feel lacking. Idk about you but having a boss health bar is always better than not having one. Especially in these types of games.
Good that Ran is actually good, Seiran is from what i heard is good too
Really? I'll consider trying out Seiran tomorrow. Playing TH19 makes me tired.
I might pick Tsukasa and Aunn before Seiran since I like those characters more and Seiran is forgettable.
Is that Yukari sitting?
No, it's Maribel. Yukari has longer hair.

That reminds me, tierlist of Touhou 19 characters so far.
Awesome tier
Reimu
Ran
Marisa
Awful tier
Mamizou
ZUN did you even playtest her? She's unbalanced, underpowered shit. Tier
Sanae

Rather than unique it makes the game feel lacking. Idk about you but having a boss health bar is always better than not having one. Especially in these types of games.
None issue for me but i can see that
Really? I'll consider trying out Seiran tomorrow. Playing TH19 makes me tired.
I might pick Tsukasa and Aunn before Seiran since I like those characters more and Seiran is forgettable.
Jaimers did Seiran run on his channel, you can check it out
No, it's Maribel. Yukari has longer hair.
Dea-deadass!?

Did it say it there? Cause I used DeepL for the image you showed and it's just "Fixe fantasy town" or something along those lines, unless the dialogue apparently says that she's Maribel.

I am the deadass, I would never lie for my own amusement. The Japanese text was saying something something about Maribel time traveling to the present. It's a weird subplot.
Uh oh, funky plot with Maribel in mainline game incoming
Yeah, this will make the wild theories about Yukari = Maribel even more wilder

Back