• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The nature of the soul(the real one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone today I have came with a general explanation page regarding what is the soul and how it functions in devil may cry within this sandbox which I would like for it to get it approved.
Agree: RM97,Planck69,Lightning_XXI,Robo432343,Greatsage13th,GilverTheProtoAngelo,Tanin_iver,CloverDragon03,LuffyRuffy46307,Eseseso,Oliver_de_jesus,Mad_Dog_of_Fujiwara(agrees with everything aside of the life force point),Lonkitt,UchihaSlayer96,Georredannea15,Elizhaa,DarkDragonMedeus,LordGriffin1000
Disagree:

Last edited:
Yeah this looks mostly alright imo. I think it should be explained that the power absorption aspect doesn't take all of a person's powers though, since Dante isn't unlocking like 20 powers at once when he absorbs a demon's soul. Abstract existence is... weird, but technically fine. Just clarify that it only applies to the soul itself. NPI doesn't need to be there at all lol, that's already a given for people who can interact with souls.

Disagree with life manipulation entirely though. Absorbing the life force of people who have a soul doesn't really imply the soul and lifeforce are the same thing. Similarly, the bats growing larger is just... completely irrelevant? Not only does that not inherently have anything to do with life manipulation or soul absorption, but even if it were, it could be explained by life manipulation alone without somehow connecting it to the soul. For the last scan, Dante losing his health when having his soul drained doesn't really mean the soul is equivalent to life force because like... yeah, of course any kind of damage in a video game is gonna deplete your HP. It's not that deep lol
@Deagonx @Mad_Dog_of_Fujiwara You both are welcome here too, given the fact that you are both active in this verse as opposition.
ngl i thought you were pinging me to explain how souls in 2hu work and i almost had a heart attack lol

Yeah this looks mostly alright imo. I think it should be explained that the power absorption aspect doesn't take all of a person's powers though, since Dante isn't unlocking like 20 powers at once when he absorbs a demon's soul. Abstract existence is... weird, but technically fine. Just clarify that it only applies to the soul itself. NPI doesn't need to be there at all lol, that's already a given for people who can interact with souls.

Disagree with life manipulation entirely though. Absorbing the life force of people who have a soul doesn't really imply the soul and lifeforce are the same thing. Similarly, the bats growing larger is just... completely irrelevant? Not only does that not inherently have anything to do with life manipulation or soul absorption, but even if it were, it could be explained by life manipulation alone without somehow connecting it to the soul. For the last scan, Dante losing his health when having his soul drained doesn't really mean the soul is equivalent to life force because like... yeah, of course any kind of damage in a video game is gonna deplete your HP. It's not that deep lol

ngl i thought you were pinging me to explain how souls in 2hu work and i almost had a heart attack lol
Well I put non physical interaction there for anyone who can interact with the soul since if I’m explaining how a soul work, I might as well put every power that comes with it, even if it is not that relevant.
Regarding the life force part, we are not arguing that they are intertwined via it depleting your hp ingame, it is via how Dante’s vitality is being drained in the cutscene, as for the flambats the files specifically states that they suck the life force out of beings with a soul, this in my opinion implies that life force only exists if a soul does, it is a weird point Ik but if you don’t agree on that then that’s fine, I assume I’ll put you as an agreement with everything excluding the life force point ? With further clarification about the indexing ofc Lol

Regarding the life force part, we are not arguing that they are intertwined via it depleting your hp ingame, it is via how Dante’s vitality is being drained in the cutscene, as for the flambats the files specifically states that they suck the life force out of beings with a soul, this in my opinion implies that life force only exists if a soul does, it is a weird point Ik but if you don’t agree on that then that’s fine, I assume I’ll put you as an agreement with everything excluding the life force point ? With further clarification about the indexing ofc Lol
I mean, Dante being brought to his knees there doesn't imply his very life force is being drained. That'd happen if he sustained enough damage from any source, whether that be spiritual or physical. I think you're simply extrapolating too much from the Flambat point, especially when there isn;'t much other evidence to support it.

But yeah put me in agreee minus the life force stuff.

I mean, Dante being brought to his knees there doesn't imply his very life force is being drained. That'd happen if he sustained enough damage from any source, whether that be spiritual or physical. I think you're simply extrapolating too much from the Flambat point, especially when there isn;'t much other evidence to support it.

But yeah put me in agreee minus the life force stuff.
I don’t think I’m not extrapolating on that point, but will agree to disagree, your vote is noted also this went better than expected ngl

Yeah this looks mostly alright imo. I think it should be explained that the power absorption aspect doesn't take all of a person's powers though, since Dante isn't unlocking like 20 powers at once when he absorbs a demon's soul.
That's because Dante has basically all standard demon powers thanks to Physiology. If DMC3 Geryon, for example, had a profile, his powers and abilities would consist of Low Tier Demon Physiology/Resistances + Time Manipulation and few more tricks (His specific power)

One could say Dante took everything, but already had 99% of it, or maybe the Absorption is only about the character special ability

Dante will get the powers that are unique to someone, he won’t get anything that he doesn’t already have, if that makes sense.(since he already has the resistances of demons)

Last edited:
One could say Dante took everything, but already had 99% of it, or maybe the Absorption is only about the character special ability
I mean practically speaking Dante should be able to have all of the powers by absorbing as how the lore describes it, but like u already clarified, Demon Phys takes care of it and he is just shown to have the notable power of the demon he absorbs bcos that is plot relevant if it makes sense

I mean practically speaking Dante should be able to have all of the powers by absorbing as how the lore describes it, but like u already clarified, Demon Phys takes care of it and he is just shown to have the notable power of the demon he absorbs bcos that is plot relevant if it makes sense
^ this pretty much, the statement confirms that you get their powers( with their physiology)

Some clarifications on few contrary views.

1) Vitality is indeed intertwined with soul.
Because as an idea or mechanic, the idea of life force applied to every demon in DMC whether they possess a physical body or are just your regular ghosts.
In that simple case, it cannot be something "physical", the fact that Soul Eaters in 3 and Flamebats in 2 absorbing soul/vitality speaks a lot, because they themselves are astral demons by default.

Besides there are other examples of objects containing spritual matter tending to either vitality or magic.
You can read the citations and see that many a items like vital stars and orbs are spiritual matter tending to life energy.

On the Haywire Neo Generator point, while it is a valid arguement that the health depletion can be only a representational thing but it's important to note that even cutscene shows Dante getting physically affected, getting damaged by the item. So it's clearly not just something gameplay.

Also with how Demonic Energy works and it's astral nature, and it's supernatural effects in physical body for e.g regen neg etc. It's quite clear indication of both being interconnected.

2) About the power/soul absorption part, it being selective is head canon. There's no arbitrary limitation on what it can assimilate. As Lightning and Tanin already pointed out, every other power a demon might possess is already possesed by any other demon. So 99% powers hardly go under any visual change aside from some boost. The most notable power addition will always be the iconic and unique ability, especially for plot/game mechanics sake.

Besides we have a blatant example in the anime portion in the blog, Baul says how he will recieve Sparda's power by absorbing Dante's soul. Which is a direct implication on how he will achieve all of Sparda's power and physiology by just assimilation of Dante's soul, because his soul belongs to his father and all Sparda boys ultimately share powers and attributes.

-----------x-------
That's all I have to say.

Last edited:
Some clarifications on few contrary views.

1) Vitality is indeed intertwined with soul.
Because as an idea or mechanic, the idea of life force applied to every demon in DMC whether they possess a physical body or are just your regular ghosts.
In that simple case, it cannot be something "physical", the fact that Soul Eaters in 3 and Flamebats in 2 absorbing soul/vitality speaks a lot, because they themselves are astral demons by default.

Besides there are other examples of objects containing spritual matter tending to either vitality or magic.
You can read the citations and see that many a items like vital stars and orbs are spiritual matter tending to life energy.

On the Haywire Neo Generator point, while it is a valid arguement that the health depletion can be only a representational thing but it's important to note that even cutscene shows Dante getting physically affected, getting damaged by the item. So it's clearly not just something gameplay.

Also with how Demonic Energy works and it's astral nature, and it's supernatural effects in physical body for e.g regen neg etc. It's quite clear indication of both being interconnected.

2) About the power/soul absorption part, it being selective is head canon. There's no arbitrary limitation on what it can assimilate. As Lightning and Tanin already pointed out, every other power a demon might possess is already possesed by any other demon. So 99% powers hardly go under any visual change aside from some boost. The most notable power addition will always be the iconic and unique ability, especially for plot/game mechanics sake.

Besides we have a blatant example in the anime portion in the blog, Baul says how he will recieve Sparda's power by absorbing Dante's soul. Which is a direct implication on how he will achieve all of Sparda's power and physiology by just assimilation of Dante's soul, because his soul belongs to his father and all Sparda boys ultimately share powers and attributes.

-----------x-------
That's all I have to say.
As a support to this,in dmc 4 you get an item that is called Anima Mercury which is literally an artificial soul that can breath life to the inanimate, it is pretty clear that life force and soul are all intertwined within the series, at the very least in some capacity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back