• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Current Ruling on YouTube profiles and other issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but I think most people would want to know that on the page that basically says "What kind of profiles are allowed" instead of having to dig deep into the rules for that. Right now the page would be misleading imo

Alright, I guess I could add a section on fanfiction and obscure characters.

Though, defining an obscure character might be a little hard. Do you think it is appropriate to reference The Invisible Dragon as an example for an obscure character?

Antvasima said:
Well, I will likely have to improve on the language flow a bit in the draft, but I am very tired and overworked right now.
Take your time. There may be a few things people might want changed at the moment.

Think that has been a recurring problem on this wiki, defining what counts as an "obscure" character, so idk.

Also what is makes a character a "meme"? The defenition is: "an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation." but what about characters with meme aspects? What about characters that were created and then were incorpirated into a meme?

I think that the problem with obscurity is that even if something is obscure, with enough hype or controversy it can become popular. Like I don't think anyone even knew who Thunder McQueen was until some genius started using him to get as many inconclusive matches as possible.

Now almost everyone on the wiki knows who Thunder is, but actual JoJo fans might not.

Characters that were origionally a work of fiction that got put into memes are allowed. Examples of characters like this include Tom Cat, Shrek (DreamWorks) etc...

But memes they appear in are not allowed to be used for an alternate profile or for statistics.

Memes that are made by the actual creator would likely be case-by-case basis, but more often then not not be used.

Almost everything with notoriety here is a meme.

Reinhard throws his spear, Thunderclusive, 1440 bags, Luke mindhaxes, etc.

There is a difference between having a lot of memes revolves around you and being literally a meme.

Shrek is memed. Pepe is a meme.

I'm almost certain that the relevance and popularity of a character is defined by their interesting aspects. The reason why almost unheard of characters suddenly become the talk of the town is because they have some unique factor that makes them fun to use in vs threads. Trying to find someone who Thunder can kill is much more interesting than anyone actually killing Thunder. Finding someone who can fight evenly with Luke without getting instantly mindhaxed is also an interesting thought.

The point I'm trying to get across is that I don't think we can stop profiles from being made no matter how obscure they are, as their very nature would allow them to slip right under our noses in the first place. And if we know about them they become noteworthy.

Maybe if you want to regulate something like this, we could purge the least viewed articles every once in a while. Though I doubt this would be fair to the creators of the articles.

What of memes that are made into video games/fictional continuities?

I can't think of any examples but I'd argue they shouldn't be allowed.

Well Pepe actually comes from his own comic book series "Boy's Club", and later became memed.

Memes are public domain. If someone were to make a game or show based around them it would also be fanfiction level.

"Memes are public domain"

Not all. Besides, making a work based on a public domain fiction isn't "fanfiction" and is allowed.

Also @Oven You can have a profile be from something very obscure and be popular on the Wiki, so it wouldn't work. Invisible Dragon was the talk of the town before being deleted.

Hmmm... then I guess it boils down to notoriety.

Though if it were a meme of an already existing profile with little to no difference then alternate canon rules apply.

The Troll meme has no proper canon I can think of. That might be the problem with public domain characters. Anyone can make anything, and unlike SCP it's not regulated or quality controlled.

Just going to point out, there actually are plans for an AVGN profile eventually. He is a fictional character with his own character, not just some YouTube personality. And there is an official episode guide and sells legit merchandise; Blue Rays and DVDs of episode guides ect. And Cinemassacre does qualify as a notable publisher, as he also has other franchises and has made some of their own movies. And it also has plenty of other original characters; though, I doubt characters like Shit Pickle need a profile. But Death Mwauthzyx, Gaming Glitch Gremlin, and Super Mecha Death Christ are some notable characters with feats. The AVGN Movie also does count as the 120th Episode of the AVGN series; some of the lore in AVGN can also get pretty deep with or without the movie. And of course, AVGN also has his own Video game series that had notable publishers from Screwattack and later Roosterteeth.

But yeah, we basically make profiles if there's actual story writing, characters development, ect instead of just being throw away memes. And YouTube personalities while not banned by default, do require some notable features to star in their own story rather than just being a guy who plays video games and makes jokes about them.

I understand the logic behind disallowing obscure but defining specific criterias for obscurity is a bit of a problem

If the verse is likely to have too few people interested enough for quality control and the audience for it is practically nonexistent it wpuld obviously be better to not feature the verse at all. But how do determine a case like this in terms of hard numbers and facts, that's the big question?

Well the Cthulhu mythos is public domain. We just don't scale other iterations from feats in the stuff written by Lovecraft and his affiliates.

Wait so the AVGN movie would be part of awesoverse. The movie which Nostalgia Critic reviewed...

Yeah, just because of canonicity, it's not going to be assumed to upgrade everyone to Low 1-C scaling from Death Mwauthzyx. The Nerd and the Critic are in AVGN II as the Critic was the second to last boss with Death Mwauthzyx being the final boss. In the movie, the Nerd is only Low 1-C via prep time. Their main series parts are generally inconsistent but aren't without feats and/or lore. The Nerd did have a similar feat to Ness and touched Truth of the Universe (Earthbound) though.

It is probably not possible for us to define any hard fact measurements for what defines notability, but self-published stories on the Internet with at most a few hundred readers and extremely poor writing quality obviously shouldn't be featured, or we would be swarmed with nonsense.

Andytrenom said:
I understand the logic behind disallowing obscure but defining specific criterias for obscurity is a bit of a problem

If the verse is likely to have too few people interested enough for quality control and the audience for it is practically nonexistent it wpuld obviously be better to not feature the verse at all. But how do determine a case like this in terms of hard numbers and facts, that's the big question?
The objectives of disallowing some certain characters from some "creative contents" are not to free up spaces from obscure contents, but to avoid controversial contents from tearing down the whole Fandom community.

Since real life persons are not allowed and commonly understood fictional characters are allowed, what we need to focus here is to distinguish which characters are too controversial or too real to be considered a fictional character.

I would say AVGN is a fictional character but James Rolfe is a real person for instance.

As far as I understand it, here are three (previously two) criteria for a verse being obscure:

1. Being completely unknown outside of the vs debating community. I can't think of an example suitable for a policy page, but the example I think of for this is Suggsverse. Vs debating is the only context in which anyone knows about it.

2. Being so obscure that it has no English translation, with only one person on the site willing to verify feats. If there's only one person capable/willing to check statistics then they can easily become unreliable, and are too obscure to have a page.

3. Self-published works with only a few thousand, or fewer, people who have seen the work. This should cover the intuition Ant laid out, while also covering viewcounts in the high-hundreds/low-thousands of views, like Jordanbaird's Basement Heroes.

@Agnaa

Thank you for the help. That seems to make sense.

I can add Agnaa's points to the draft under obscure works when I come home from school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back