• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Current Ruling on YouTube profiles and other issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
DMB 1 said:
I've always seen Smosh as a series of parody shorts and skits, with no correlation or any sort of continuity between each other.
The Smosh Movie and the crappy YouTube Red films have, again, no relation to the main channel's videos, nor between each other.
Doesn't Smosh also have that one cartoon series on their side channel

The real cal howard said:
They say that instead of arguing against me. If you'd rather spend your time countering my points instead of addressing that then you can't blame me for assuming you're perfectly fine with all YT profiles.
Yes I can blame you for assuming something I never said and was never implied by the points I was making at all.

Understand what I'm trying to say if you intend to argue with me, that's the least you can do in a debate

This is really not worth arguing over as opposed to the actual subject, the youtube profiles.

Fine, I think Cal's argument about banning non combat youtube verses specifically is dumb. That's all I have to say

As for the overall issue. Just imagine the youtube videos are self published books or indie games or something and apply similar but not exact standards. I honestly believe it's that simple

Everybody calm down and try to get along please.

Anyway, this thread is so long that it probably needs to be restarted with a summary of what we still have to resolve (cleaning up the structure of the draft page and improving on the definitions, from what I recall), preferably in the staff only forum.

If it has no canon/and or continuity, it does not belong on the site. This is not up for negotiation since that's how we determine ratings and feats in the first place. I'm pretty sure half of these YouTube characters violate that.

It does not matter if they are "different than their real life self" or a "fictional character", that's not an argument anymore.

This thread does seem rather disorganized due to being bumped like a month later. I could make a redux if need be.

Now, see, if they have a continuity, then I don't see the issue. Now, if their just a jumbled up mess of appearences of not even the character, but the same actor playing clearly different characters with a fake story as a desperate attempt to connect them, that's where I start having problems.

Now, if the character in question is clearly the same person throughout the entire story and they have actual feats and are actually properly researched and actually exists, then I think it's fine. If it's the same guy canonically throughout the entire thing and they have feats to differ them from their real life self, I don't see a problem.

No matter where we draw the line in the sand, it will still be a line in the sand. I say we draw the line in the sand to be one that makes sense, but also allows a little bit of leeway. After all, versus debating is all ultimately for fun. So why should we draw our arbitrary lines in the sand for the sole purpose of preventing said fun for the sake of "seeming professional"?

Ultimately, this entire hobby we all have is, ultimately, very silly. It's very silly with math and science and philosphy, but it's ultimately very silly. I'm not saying we should allow fanfictions, but I'm also not saying we should push to be professional when professional is the opposite of what this entire thing is.

Do you know where Versus Debating started? It didn't start in a lab. It didn't start in a philosphy class. It didn't even start in somebody's basement. Do you know where it started? Two kids were talking one day, and they wondered who would win in a fight between two of their favorite characters. As such, they argued about it. That's all that started this whole thing.

@Sera

Putting something in bold text dosn't make it true. For example:

The earth is flat, vaxxines cause autism and Vladimir Putin isn't resposible for the deaths of hundreds

See?

I also feel like we need a new thread now, this is getting very disorganised.

Honestly the original intention of this thread seems to have been solved anyway so I dunno why this is even still going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back