• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Potential Return of Blox Fruits and how its deletion may affect verses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have much to say, I’ve read pretty much anything but I’m still in bed. I would still like to call back to my argument of other seemingly plagiarized or “barely legal bootleg” verses. We already talked about a lot of stuff in the First, and (barely) Second Sea that draws a lot of similarities to One Piece but once again not only are they legally distinct enough to not actively got obliterated by the Toei/Jump copyright hammer in an age where that has been happening to many roblox anime games, but they also have Physical real merch, as in retail stores host their merch and sell it. Yes, the in game similarities are damning but the entire fact that they are allowed to make money outside of their game and I would assume Jump or Toei knows if this things existence and let’s it exist is proof enough that it is original enough to not just be a clone or fan-game in the traditional sense and actually be a separate thing which could be on vswiki.
If y'all let this verse exist then let me make Scoob and Shag here.
I’m gonna assume that’s a series that’s a bootleg of scoob and shag and honestly I would very much be fine with that if it was distinct enough.
Then wait til it becomes fully original and then add it.
You say that but do you know how long game deving takes? Yes they’ve said they planned it but Blox Fruits is a game from 2019 running on Roblox. Revamping two entirely new MAJOR AREAS with content, models, audio, animations, etc. takes time. This is genuinely akin to a real studio video game.
TL;dr - Too much intentionally coincidentally copyrighted material, group is very clearly copying shit to line their pockets with that 5,000,000,000 Robux bounty
The group that made Blox Fruits has made Elemental Battlegrounds - a game that is filled to the brim with original element designs. If they wanted to create their own characters, items, & world, they would've, but they didn't.
I mean they are but also… ain’t you the guy who tried to add “Fart Attack” to the wiki?

I don't care if the verse gets added or not but this is just a blatant ad hominine
It was a joke, I wasn’t actually addressing him and trying to say this is a bad reason to listen to him.

In fact I was literally making a meme image that was in reference to the joke but just neglected to do it cause I don’t have the time I wanna sleep.

I don’t have much to say, I’ve read pretty much anything but I’m still in bed. I would still like to call back to my argument of other seemingly plagiarized or “barely legal bootleg” verses.
We already talked about a lot of stuff in the First, and (barely) Second Sea that draws a lot of similarities to One Piece but once again not only are they legally distinct enough to not actively got obliterated by the Toei/Jump copyright hammer in an age where that has been happening to many roblox anime games, but they also have Physical real merch, as in retail stores host their merch and sell it.
Yes, the in game similarities are damning but the entire fact that they are allowed to make money outside of their game and I would assume Jump or Toei knows if this things existence and let’s it exist is proof enough that it is original enough to not just be a clone or fan-game in the traditional sense and actually be a separate thing which could be on vswiki.
You say that but do you know how long game deving takes? Yes they’ve said they planned it but Blox Fruits is a game from 2019 running on Roblox. Revamping two entirely new MAJOR AREAS with content, models, audio, animations, etc. takes time. This is genuinely akin to a real studio video game.
Loomian Legacy (Formerly Chuck's Pokemon Brick Bronze) and Monsters of Etheria (Formerly Pokemon Fighters EX) had overhauls and they took quite a while. Best you can do is just wait.

I should play Devil's Advocate, I came in expecting a blatant ripoff and I probably shouldn't have:

The bulk of the fruits are actually original in design. Look at Mammoth Fruit compared to its one piece version, same with T-Rex fruit compared the closest thing in One Piece. Actually, now that I go over it, a lot of the fruits have original abilities, like Ghost. Some of the earlier fruits are a little too close to their one piece design, like Buddha. Others, like Smoke, have different enough ability names & are broad enough concepts (save for Rubber's second mode, lol) that it would make the titular Blox Fruits one of the easier ones to redesign; change a few colors here & there, rename something like "Buddha" to "Golem" and give it a different color. Boom,
These are only things that need to be revised to be a-okay on the wiki.
  1. Various character designs (e.g, lightning god)
  2. Various item designs (like the ones I mentioned in my original post; they did it with Dark Blade/Mihawk's sword)
  3. Early blox fruit designs, such as buddha. Could be a simple change like renaming it to "Golem" and giving it a slightly different color/ability effects.
  4. Island design changes (If they're too similar to one pieces)
The idea of Blox Fruits is legally distinct enough to be its own thing, it just needs to patch out the copyrighted stuff & it should be good for profiles. I'll play the game at some point and come to my own conclusion based on what I find. Purge most of the blatantly copyrighted stuff and you basically get what Palworld is.

I mean they are but also… ain’t you the guy who tried to add “Fart Attack” to the wiki?
If Antvasima changes his mind and gives Fart Attack profiles the thumbs up... High 8-C will never be the same again.

The idea of Blox Fruits is legally distinct enough to be its own thing, it just needs to patch out the copyrighted stuff & it should be good for profiles. I'll play the game at some point and come to my own conclusion based on what I find. Purge most of the blatantly copyrighted stuff and you basically get what Palworld is.
Thanks, I think the assessment you made was good I just wanted to specifically reply to this and say if you do start good luck. The grind is a bit tedious and is certainly a BIG drawback of the first and second sea.
If Antvasima changes his mind and gives Fart Attack profiles the thumbs up... High 8-C will never be the same again.
We’re going back in time to the first calc to get Fart Attack OFF the WIKI.

First few minutes of gameplay was manhadling Bandits and Monkeys. Nothing seems blatantly copyrighted so far, not sure about the start location for the pirates. Will keep you updated. The game does let you use your Roblox avatar, so any players with Luffy/Zoro/whatever character models are doing so cuz' their Roblox avatar is exactly that. I think you can see ************* Mario if someone has that as their avatar.

First few minutes of gameplay was manhadling Bandits and Monkeys. Nothing seems blatantly copyrighted so far, not sure about the start location for the pirates. Will keep you updated. The game does let you use your Roblox avatar, so any players with Luffy/Zoro/whatever character models are doing so cuz' their Roblox avatar is exactly that. I think you can see ************* Mario if someone has that as their avatar.
Yeah I had to use my own avatars and make them pirate/navy themed for the profules

1. Various character designs (e.g, lightning god)
  2. Various item designs (like the ones I mentioned in my original post; they did it with Dark Blade/Mihawk's sword)
  3. Early blox fruit designs, such as buddha. Could be a simple change like renaming it to "Golem" and giving it a slightly different color/ability effects.
  4. Island design changes (If they're too similar to one pieces)
I'd like to add to this real quick, but despite the older content having this kind of stuff, I don't think that should necessarily rule out its place on the wiki. Yeah, Thunder God, and some other characters are just rip-offs of Enel and what not, but as I've mentioned numerous times it's certainly legally distinct enough and not so horrifying of an issue that it should rule out the verse being added. By all means, Blox Fruits just barely meets the rules, at least from my perspective. My entire thing is, if copyright holders saw no issue with it then or now and have let them run for this long, I see no issue why it's not okay.

Last edited:
Whether or not they have done enough to dodge legal action isn't my primary concern with this- we have an extremely limited notion of what laws might be applicable and how they might be plied regarding a Roblox game being stricken down by its originator, or whether the creators of One Piece are even aware of this specific knock-off. There are bigger companies who have more notable things draining their funds that are steeped in legal controversy that takes years to sort itself out- look at pirate streaming companies as a great example.

Our concern should solely be with whether we can characterize a verse as being a fanmade project of an actually original work. At the moment, Blox Fruits falls to one side of that line, but strives to go to the other out of legal concerns. I'm firm in my judgement.

I've not played Palworld but I was under the impression that people had found things like ripped character models from Pokemon? I don't know off the cuff whether I'd be down with allowing it, but I don't know if that's a good example of something that is 100% secure on this wiki.

I've not played Palworld but I was under the impression that people had found things like ripped character models from Pokemon?
There's several mechanics ripped out of pokemon and some pals look very much like pokemon, though strait up model stealing never happened

There's several mechanics ripped out of pokemon and some pals look very much like pokemon, though strait up model stealing never happened

Yeah, like I said, I didn't really get into it and don't know the whole deal, but I think it's a shaky thing to refer to.

Regardless, the thread ain't about Palworld. I don't know if @DarkDragonMedeus has read the discourse since his original post, if he hasn't I'd like him to. If he changes his mind, this is rejected fairly concretely. If he doesn't, then it's in a twilight and needs another staff at least.

Regardless, the thread ain't about Palworld. I don't know if @DarkDragonMedeus has read the discourse since his original post, if he hasn't I'd like him to. If he changes his mind, this is rejected fairly concretely. If he doesn't, then it's in a twilight and needs another staff at least.
Do you take bribes? /j

I've not played Palworld but I was under the impression that people had found things like ripped character models from Pokemon? I don't know off the cuff whether I'd be down with allowing it, but I don't know if that's a good example of something that is 100% secure on this wiki.
There was a guy on X who compared the models and said it was plagiarism. Soon after, they discover that the guy resized it to make these comparisons.

Honestly, I think these copyright rules, etc., should be more concrete.

You say that something like Palworld would be unstable because it has things similar to pokemons and pokeballs (despite the game being a survival game more like Ark) although nothing there is a copy and paste.

And as for Bagdex, for example, a game 100% inspired by pokemon, if you look at the trailer, it's a game style and something similar to pokedex (bagdex lol), but it's not a fan game like Pokemon Uranium, everything there is original . Or temtem, another pokemon style game from what you can see in the gameplay (it even has tall grass).

Would you find them unstable to be on the wiki due to the extreme similarity they have with pokemon? Even though they are full of original names and designs.

I know this could be a derailment, but I just want to reflect on this rule, which seems to have vaguer criteria in my opinion.

I know this could be a derailment, but I just want to reflect on this rule, which seems to have vaguer criteria in my opinion.
I don't think this is quite a derailment, I mentioned in my OP that if Blox Fruits falls to this then a few other verses probably need to be checked out, and personally I'd rather see them stay than get deleted. Regardless, I still think Blox Fruits scrapes by the rules albeit barely.

There was a guy on X who compared the models and said it was plagiarism. Soon after, they discover that the guy resized it to make these comparisons.

Honestly, I think these copyright rules, etc., should be more concrete.

You say that something like Palworld would be unstable because it has things similar to pokemons and pokeballs (despite the game being a survival game more like Ark) although nothing there is a copy and paste.

And as for Bagdex, for example, a game 100% inspired by pokemon, if you look at the trailer, it's a game style and something similar to pokedex (bagdex lol), but it's not a fan game like Pokemon Uranium, everything there is original . Or temtem, another pokemon style game from what you can see in the gameplay (it even has tall grass).

Would you find them unstable to be on the wiki due to the extreme similarity they have with pokemon? Even though they are full of original names and designs.

Honestly, calling to mind games like Pokemon Uranium or any of the other major Pokemon fan spinoffs is an incredibly apt comparison to the current case, I think. Call it something else- say, Pouch Monsters: Uranium, something close but legally distinct- and it's practically 1:1 with the Blox Fruits situation. Deliberately made as a fan game but with generally original content built onto the framework of some other IP (in this case, Pokemon). I think that's a far more apt comparison than something like Palworld, which bears strong ties to other games- as you say, Ark, and the visual style of The Legend of Zelda (specifically Breath of the Wild) is openly admitted to be taken in both Palworld and the dev's earlier games. I think that's a damn good comparison.

If it is desired, we may add a Roblox based rule to our Discussion page regarding fan-made games that permeate the platform with strong ties to original IPs. I don't know if that's strictly necessary though, as I think our general rules against fan made content have been explored reasonably well, with landmark cases like Red vs Blue and Xionic Madness.

"Do not add any original or fan-made characters to the wiki. If you wish to create any original/fan-made character profiles, feel free to do so in the FC/OC wiki. "Original" here refers to relatively obscure characters from self-contained stories created by members and their friends, whereas "fan-made" refers to ones appearing within fanfiction or works containing a sufficient amount of another piece of fiction's copyrighted material without official permission."

This covers it, I think, it just took discussion to decide where the matter fell.

Thank you, but I do not think that we should allow obscure/non-notable unofficial internet characters created by other people than members of our community and their friends either. Barely known creepypastas for example. So that part of your suggested rule likely needs to be modified.

The text I posted is what is currently on the page, Ant- I didn't write it. I was saying that this rule, which is already on the page, likely covers this situation satisfactorily.

If you want to slightly reword it to make it clear it applies to OCs made by non-wiki users too, then we can do so, although I think the rule implies this much (even though the weird specification on the word "Original" may deter this interpretation).

Okay. Thank you for the information. 🙏

Should we move this thread to our staff forum or create a new discussion thread there then?

A new discussion is more appropriate, I think.

Okay. Would you be willing to handle it please? I unfortunately have very limited time and focus available currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back