• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Current Ruling on YouTube profiles and other issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bobsican said:
The site´s main purpose is to index the powers, abilities and stats of a character, not to restrict such only to stuff that´s subjectively "serious" and/or "violent" in nature
Yeah. Indexing site always rears it's heads at the most hilarious times kek.

Jackythejack said:
The problem is we have a lot of characters here from series that aren't built around combat anyways.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. There are so many characters here that aren't from series that focus on combat. And yet, guess what?

Because they're not from Youtube, and are instead from games or movies, no one has a problem with them.

Surprising how that works.

Quite frankly, this whole Anti-Youtube Profiles argument is just a pain in the A

The real cal howard said:
How so? If you're referring to Adam, he got deleted and even then he had his own official tv show. If you're referring to the built for combat thing, look at the name of our site.
Ask Ant and he'll tell you why the site being called "VS Battles wiki" doesn't matter anymore

Plus we already index non combative verses like Good Place, Doki Doki etc. Why should there be an exception for youtube profiles?

I think the issue is more that these series don't really have continuity more often than not which causes issues and a rather suspect P&A.

Personally I wouldn't index normal series that lack some sort of continuity either but that's just me

All of them meet the definition of "relating to an authority or public body and its duties, actions, and responsibilities."

Because they're actually official.
Okay first you argue "they should be from combat based verses because our name is VS Battles Wiki", now you're saying the non combat-based verses are fine because they're official? Even tho that wouldn't change the fact that they're contradictory with the site's name which is the argument you use for youtube profiles

If it has a continuity though, then the argument has nothing to stand on other than "its youtube and I don't like it."

I think the issue is more that these series don't really have continuity more often than not which causes issues and a rather suspect P&A.

And a lot of characters/creators have been denied/deleted for that exact reason.

We're going to reach a point where this is just FCOC and so long as someone creates a YT video for it, it can have a profile.

Distinguishing a youtube char from an OC is probably a definition we should concretely establish though.

Ask Ant and he'll tell you why the site being called "VS Battles wiki" doesn't matter anymore

Plus we already index non combative verses like Good Place, Doki Doki etc. Why should there be an exception for youtube profiles?

The Good Place is an officially published TV series with actual lore and canon and no author inserts

I was originally in support of YouTube profiles because of how much I like AVGN but now this is getting out of hand

We're going to reach a point where this is just FCOC and so long as someone creates a YT video for it, it can have a profile.
It still needs a decent level of popularity and a defined canon you know, not anyone can just make a youtube video and be able to feature it on the wiki

If we're sliding down a slippery slope because we were wrong and were full of double standards, that's a slope I'll slide.

@Cal

No. It's not going to reach that point. Fanfictions arn't going to be allowed on the wiki. Ever. This is nothing like that. If they exist officially, are not fanfictions and have feats, then we can make profiles for them. Any other logic is just wanting to limit what profiles can be made for the sake of it.

It still needs a decent level of popularity and a defined canon you know, not anyone can just make a youtube video and be able to feature it on the wiki

Please tell me how Smosh has a defined canon outside of Food Battle. Or how it's different from fan-series like SML when a good portion of their videos are stuff like "I have Kirby's powers" or having a Pikachu and the franchise started due to a cover of the Pokemon theme song.

>Doesn't mention Smosh once

>Asks me to explain how Smosh has a defined canon as if I was defending that verse all this time

AVGN and Nostalgia Critic I guess I can compromise to having profiles for, the former if only because he has a movie and a video game. There's only two other YT series on here that'd fall under this category. There's CalebCity, which tbh I'm not okay with having profiles for, and Smosh.

It is a verse that's on the site, and by defending youtube stuff in general without specifying you implicitly defend the concept of it as a whole

I think we should establish more concrete standards than "is popular" and chose what a "defined canon" is, because a lot of these don't really have any sort of continuity or whatever which doesn't seem like it adheres to that.

Cal I have to ask, do you even understand what I'm arguing right now, or do you just assume because I'm arguing against you I'm arguing in favor of every single youtube profile you have a problem with? I don't see why you would bring up Smosh otherwise.

AVGN and Nostalgia Critic I guess I can compromise to having profiles for, the former if only because he has a movie and a video game. There's only two other YT series on here that'd fall under this category. There's CalebCity, which tbh I'm not okay with having profiles for, and Smosh.
They actually share a well defined universe and timeline.

If you're talking about AVGN and Nostalgia Critic, I...guess? If you're talking about Smosh, no the f*ck they do not.

No offense...but that's dumb. I was arguing against your statement that a youtube verse has to be combat based and later that anyone can make a youtube video and have it on the wiki, that absolutely does not indicate "I think all the current youtube profiles are fine and I disagree with you thinking otherwise"

If you're talking about AVGN and Nostalgia Critic, I...guess? If you're talking about Smosh, no the f*ck they do not.
The first two. They share their verse with a lot of people and do have a defined world. The latter has multiple movies which are considered major events in the stories of all those involved, like Linkara.

They say that instead of arguing against me. If you'd rather spend your time countering my points instead of addressing that then you can't blame me for assuming you're perfectly fine with all YT profiles.

I've always seen Smosh as a series of parody shorts and skits, with no correlation or any sort of continuity between each other.

The Smosh Movie and the crappy YouTube Red films have, again, no relation to the main channel's videos, nor between each other.

I honestly think that the Nerd should have two different profiles: one for the YT series, the other for the games, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back