• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should every Pokemon have some resistance to sealing and transmutation?

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
All Pokemon are capable of breaking out of most Pokeballs so should that be some limited form of resistance? Nothing major like being able to shrug off Zelda's sealing or something, but something nonetheless.

No because you can't have nice things.

I mean, this insteresting, because while they can free themselves from Pokéballs, they're still caught by them.

Staying neutral for now, but to give more support for this proposal, Pokemon have been shown countless times to be able to free themselves from a Pokeball even after they are captured. The anime's had a constant trend of showing this with various mon.

-Misty's Psyduck

-Jessies Seviper

-James Cacnea and Carnivine

-Brocks Crogunk

-Ash's Oshawott

And these are just from the top of my head.

Following. Iirc there's no other cases where a Pokemon has been transmutated/sealed before, aside from Spiritomb, but that's due to aura.

I'm not sure. Poke Balls seem to work off of strength, not resistance which is why it's harder to catch stronger Pokemon and one's who haven't been weakened by combat. Like how Brandon (Don't know if that's the right guy) threw a great ball at Regegigas and it didn't even pull him in do to him being so strong.

Power seems to be a Poke Balls weakness. I don't think it's resistance. If that's still resistance then I geuss limited resistance is fine.

Its not really a power based thing since Pokemon are able to be captured whether they are at full strength or not. Like if a Pokemon willingly allows themselves to be caught by a poke-ball.

Even then, as I pointed out above, pokemon have shown to be able to escape pokeballs after they are captured countless times in the anime.

For one, they are actually transformed into energy without problem or resistance, and for another, breaking out of a ball resists sealing as much as a human breaking out of a coffin does.

If the human was turned into energy in a coffin a fraction the size of them beforehand, and returned to their normal size + state right after breaking out, then sure.

That last point is a big false equivalancy.

A human breaking out of a coffin is done via sheer strength, not accounting for the fact that a coffn is locked from the inside. Pokemon breaking out of pokeballs is a clear step beyond just being contained, they are literally energy. And even after the capture is a success, they can still freely move out of their pokeballs at will. They dont need a trainer to actively call them out.

@Professor

Then it still doesn't make sense since are sealed and transmutated without any resistance.

It's clear the escape because they are "strong" enough to escape. This is why you weaken the Pokemon first so they can't put up a fight. If it wasn't power based and they had resistance, they would resist being sealed and tramsmutated in the first place but they don't.

They get caught then struggle with all their might to brake the effects that have taken effect. Resistance would be if they were uneffected by the Poke Ball to begin with. I still se this as a Strength / Power thing but that's me.

Well that could always just be a feat for the pokeball rather than a non-feat for the pokemon, which would make sense since there are different kinds of pokeballs, one more advanced than the other. Resistance isnt solely determined by "it shouldnt work at all". Otherwise, that would be like saying someone doesnt have resistance to mind hax because they shrugged off one persons mind hax but couldnt shrugg off another persons. It's moreso resistance scaling.

Especially since Pokemon can still freely leave their pokeballs even after they are captured, showing that being bound to a pokeball doesnt bother them in the slightest.

I never said "it shouldn't work at all" though, however resistance is showing said effect works less on you than it does another which isn't the case for the Pokemon since they are all caught and turned into energy no diff then they struggle and attempt to break out with the exception of Regigigas doesn't seem like resistance to me.

I just find the poke ball system weird but I'm fine with limited resistance if everyone else is. This is my last comment on this matter, I've said everything that was on my mind.

Transformation at least makes no sense to me.

Every pokemon can be transformed via a simple pokéball and I'm fairly sure the pokéballs are designed to transform them back when they escape (they aren't supposed to be lethal weapons).

Back