• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SCP should not be allowed on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand there are rules regarding having no fanfiction and the like on the site, yet this verse slips past the radar,SCP literally incorporates other verses like Harry Potter, Sword art online and most recently, Cthulu Mythos is apparently "canon" in SCP (Can't wait to see how that turns out if this doesn't delete the verse). So how is this acceptable and not fanfiction??

It also can (and has) been exploited by users on the internet to either,get writers to just write about, or become a writer themselves to make more OP material to make the setting stronger.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I'm not even sure if SCP should be here either, since it's open for the public to add new characters to the verse, and there have been verses that weren't accepted because of that in the past, so I don't know. It's not fanfiction tho, like at all, all of the characters are original.

The very same that have profiles on this site? look at this character page first well it seems to be on the canon scp wiki page right here read this page and it is literally a joke. And this character is a canon character in SCP. Lord of the rings and harry potter are amongst the verses here. Sherlock holmes is here aswell...

Now we have this on the wiki

Scp3
Confused-Nick-Young
Oh but it gets better!

Scp4
Scp5
I really shouldn't have to explain more the problems with this, and the verse in general.

Ah i see where youre confused. SCP has a lot of metafiction, that doesnt mean that the SCPs are literally a part of those universes. Although looking over the page and the article i agree that the profile needs some work as the SCP in question doesnt have those powers permanently, it only gains powers relative to the narrative its placed into.

Saying that SCP is fanfic because Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter exist as book in it is like saying that High School DxD is fanfiction because there's a scene where a character says that they watch Dragon Ball, or that Clarence is fanfiction because there's a scene of him watching Adventure Time; they're not actually conected to these works, it's just that the setting was supposed to take place in "real life", and thoso works do exist in real life, as works of fiction.

Technically that would make both DC and Marvel fanfics by that logic as both comics canonically exist in each others' verses

@Sigurd They'd probably say no, most writers there dont take requests and a log of the general requests are either shut down for not being original or take months of refining before they get posted

StrongClick said:
Question tbh. If 3167 is basically encapsulated fiction why is it wall level let alone 2-C in its fiction.
I can go through and clean up the page tomorrow, its honestly a bit of a mess

What if I go there and write a 1-A story, but actually make it a good 1-A story. hmmnmm

I had a talk with Agnaa; we don't need to remove the verse over something this tiny.

If you could actually write a story that makes SCP 1-A and it isn't downvoted into oblivion it still wouldn't be consistent enough to actually change ratings in the verse.

Okay? but It's not just what I mentioned earlier (which is still a issue)there were two different reasons why the verse should be removed. The fact that it can be manipulated by people on the internet for the sake of making chars OP is also a very bad thing. combined with everything else this is not good at all.

GilgaArcuied said:
Okay? but It's not just what I mentioned earlier (which is still a issue)there were two different reasons why the verse should be removed. The fact that it can be manipulated by people on the internet for the sake of making chars OP is also a very bad thing. combined with everything else this is not good at all.
Sorry, I'm not really getting this, can you please clearly re-state what the problems with the verse are?

That it can be easily manipulated to be overpowered or stronger for the sake of it was my second point, along with the grey area of what is considered fanfiction. Personally I think having a entire fictional verse story played out in a fictional verse to not be fanfiction because it is "fiction" to the characters of the verse to be a copout, quite frankly.

Also please don't tell me they go through rigorous screening of blah blah scps before it's accepted. I know that. Doesn't stop people from manipulating the scps or the people who make them.

GilgaArcuied said:
That it can be easily manipulated to be overpowered or stronger for the sake of it was my second point, along with the grey area of what is considered fanfiction. Personally I think having a entire fictional verse story played out in a fictional verse to not be fanfiction because it is "fiction" to the characters of the verse to be a copout, quite frankly.
1. I don't think it can be easily manipulated. Things need to go through tons of reviews and shitty pages which are just trying to be strong quickly get removed/rewritten.

2. Why would it be fanfiction? Tons of things have pop-culture references. The Simpsons has many plotlines which are straight up ripped from other pieces of media but using their characters.

What is the exact criteria and threshold by which SCP is fanfiction? If I don't know that I can't really demonstrate to you how most media would be fanfiction by that definition.

Dargoo Faust said:
Give me one instance of someone going on the site from outside and manipulating it to make it more powerful for the sake of it and it actually A) Working and B) Actually making waves on the site and becoming consistent.
a)The fact is that this possibility undeniably exists is already a huge red flag when it shouldn't and does not to any other verse on this site. and already has other shady stuff going on like what I mentioned before. Not to mention the statistics of the scps are.. unfounded? Tier 1? for what? can you tell me? because I cannot for the life of me find out why.

B) You can see the attempts to wank the scp profiles on the forums by contacting the writers to include creating higher dimensional cosmologies, some even requested to make it like cthulu mythos, lol.

I highly doubt someone going to the site solely just to make OP characters could write well enough to make an actual SCP.

Also, if they did somehow make a 1-A or whatever tier SCP, it would be discredited as an outlier.

the fact that these sorts of people have direct access to the people who write this stuff, or potentially even write their own is a huge oversight that this wiki is making imo.

A.1) The possibility of someone asking a writer to include something OP exists for every verse that has ever existed ever.

A.2) What other shady stuff is there? Sorry, I missed that from your earlier posts.

A.3) The statistics are largely founded, but many are about to get overhauled. Tier 1 was for scaling to destroying 196,884 dimensions but that's potentially going to be downgraded soon to 26 dimensions, we can provide sources for these.

B) Yes but people have done that for wide swaths of media forever, you need to show proof that it actually happens. How many times do you think someone has asked a comic book writer to make their favourite superhero stronger? Because I can tell you there's no way it's 0.

GilgaArcuied said:
the fact that these sorts of people have direct access to the people who write this stuff, or potentially even write their own is a huge oversight that this wiki is making imo.
The thing is they need to be good writers to get through. If your worry is that some good writer could write something OP, then that possibility exists for literally every single verse in every single medium. Perhaps some dude in Japan is a really good writer and is going to get a VN published that's OP, should we prevent that from going on the site if it meets our usual requirements?

GilgaArcuied said:
a)The fact is that this possibility undeniably exists is already a huge red flag when it shouldn't and does not to any other verse on this site. and already has other shady stuff going on like what I mentioned before. Not to mention the statistics of the scps are.. unfounded? Tier 1? for what? can you tell me? because I cannot for the life of me find out why.
No. There's a good system on the site to prevent people from posting like that. If it is as unreliable as you insist give me evidence.

Statistics are being discussed and have been discussed for a while. While I would love to have a book full of answers on the ratings that sort of needs to be put together first. Dodging the question, though.

B) You can see the attempts to wank the scp profiles on the forums by contacting the writers to include creating higher dimensional cosmologies, some even requested to make it like cthulu mythos, lol.

Link them.

1st of all, proof.

2nd of all, there is an explanation to that SCP and it's coming relatively soon. I'll be brief here and say that if you say having characters from different franchises in your work makes it fan fiction, The Amazing World of Gumball, is fan fiction. Super Smash Bros, is fan fiction. Soul Calibur, is fan fiction.

3rd of all, SCP is not a power creep writing website. It's a creative writing website where people value how well an article is written over how powerful the characters in the article are. It challenges norms and finds new ways to make itself interesting. That's why from the outside it looks like they are trying to make the most powerful SCP. In reality it's just a fun concept to play around and they executed it well.

People aren't cheering the creators on for how powerful they made their character, they cheer them on for how well they write the article and critique it. To say that it's basically a fan fiction website is disingenuous and false.

@Agnee

(1. that's a big false equivalence, the professionalism of a actual credible author does not correlate to a internet wiki profile creator at all, a author has actual editors and publishers and he depends on his work for a living.

(2. I mean the grey area about the fanfiction stuff.

3). ok

B) refer to 1.

@Hotsauce

>I highly doubt someone going to the site solely just to make OP characters could write well enough to make an actual SCP.

I'm a good writer :mad: jokes aside i'm sure someone can, there's alot of smart people here and writing isn't all that hard if you're that devoted to something, which people can be with fictional series

>Also, if they did somehow make a 1-A or whatever tier SCP, it would be discredited as an outlier.

I'm not just talking about making characters 1-A, or even AP in general. could make the most OP tier 10 just for the sake of it. Create a nice story to flow with it aswell.

1. Not every person who creates media that we index here has editors and publishers. We have webcomics, youtube series, independent animated series, etc.

2. You haven't demonstrated a fanfiction issue yet.

I did. SCPs having harry potter deathspells and other verse nonsense Is what many would call, plaguarism? (if you consider SCP to be that professionally inclined for that word to be used, otherwise I guess fanfiction is the appropriate terminology)

@sirovens I know what SCP is, doesn't mean it isn't misused for other means like everything in this world.

for some examples of this being abused by people this is what i found with some searches

http://www.scp-wiki.net/forum/t-3545395/are-there-any-scps-that-use-hilbert-space

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/forum/t-2545837/infinite-dimensional-scps

Tons of other shows have blatant references to pop culture like that. Medaka Box lists off like 3 dozen Shounen Jump heroes.

The Simpsons has tons of episodes pretty blatantly ripping off of plotlines from pieces of media and featuring characters in reference to them, etc etc. Pop culture references happen constantly and don't make things fanfiction.

Also since those two links mean SCP should be banned how many links of people asking comic book writers to make their favourite superhero more powerful do I need to link to get Marvel/DC banned?

StrongClick said:
Wait hold up is that legit????
Yep, idk who zhax is but we recently found out about the Weekly one and reported it to multiple admins (around late November).

>Tons of other shows have blatant references to pop culture like that. Medaka Box lists off like 3 dozen Shounen Jump heroes.

False Equivalence again friend, I went over it above how I think copout that scp gets away with telling a harry potter story because it is fiction to their fictional verse.

Also refer to my previous paragraph to you about professional authors.

>The Simpsons has tons of episodes pretty blatantly ripping off of plotlines from pieces of media and featuring characters in reference to them

that is called references. not fanfiction. as to recreate the story of that setting.

>Pop culture references happen constantly and don't make things fanfiction.

writing a story about another verse is indeed fanfiction.

>Also since those two links mean SCP should be banned

They are just examples of what people can and have done.

>how many links of people asking comic book writers to make their favourite superhero more powerful do I need to link to get Marvel/DC banned?

?? Man i've answered you about this false equivalency a few times already. stop comparing it to actual published authors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back