• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sans' "KARMA" and Soul Manipulation Debunk - Explanation on what KR is and what it does

Sans, for those who don't know, have had some matchups on his profile against actually pretty powerful opponents, and TWO SPECIFIC winning condition that is usually seen in each of these wins.

First, lets start off with the pure obvious: Soul Manipulation

Examples include: Saitama vs. Sans, Alastor vs Sans, and Goku Black vs Sans

To make it brief: Yes, it is true that what we see in Undertale is obvious; Sans and the other monsters attack the human soul numerous time throughout the game. However: this has been shown to ONLY affect the actual body. This is consistent with what Flowey tells us in the tutorial part of the game. Now, this begs the big question:

How can you have SOUL MANIPULATION if your attacks don't actually attack the soul?

This Q&A Thread goes over this very point in depth in the second question. Now obviously, most of the characters have since had their soul manipulation removed, HOWEVER: the previously mentioned VS Threads, these are still ON his profile without any question. Why is that? Now sure, it could be the fact that nobody bothered to change it due to the threads being some what old, but I feel like an evaluation on a character's whole profile should be done if they get a downgrade, INCLUDING VS Thread wins, losses, and etc.

Now, why did I REALLY make a thread for such a small issue? Well, I didn't. The main point of this thread is also talk about this

This thread reflects mainly what some people who contribute to the Sans profile or add onto it think of why Sans could win against others think. Not JUST in the VS threads but overall in battle.

Lets go over some of the claims, shall we?

"Karma isn't the reason he keeps full dura neg, it's the fact he ignores items that raise your defense no matter what, karma is just soul poison he inflicts with his attacks, the attacks themselves still ignore the durability of frisk regardless what defensive items they may be using."

This, although a understandable point, is overall invalid. Characters in a RPG (especially in this case, Undertale) should not be able to do 0 damage to the player, EVEN with the defense buffs. This ruins the whole point of the fight and makes fighting Sans meaningless, as Sans was ALWAYS meant to do the default and LOWEST damage possible, which is 1. This is similar to how Toby also caps off some aspects of the battles you do just so you don't "break the game", for lack of a better term. A good example to use is Asgore. Although this isn't usual in the game, if you get stacks of pies in your inventory, you can continually keep on dwindling down Asgore's ATK until it hits 1. It CANNOT go any lower than because that's unironically stupid. Another good example is Temmie Armor. If you keep dying and dying, the price of it will drop lower and lower to the point where its actually pretty cheap (9999G to 750G). Although this isn't relevant to ATK, it does correlate to the fact that there are LIMITS to what you can or can't do. You can't just use the excuse of 'having higher DEF will save you for all damage', because it would be redundant to even play the game at that point at all. The Sans fight is meant to be a CHALLENGE, not to be an AFK brawl.

"You know, the whole point of Sans' fight it's that he always ignores DEF, no matter what. In the same game Frisk cannot deal damage to Mettaton or Asriel right because their DEF is too high, meaning that if it's not able to deal 1 damage, then it's 0 damage, but Sans just wouldn't care and still deals his usual 1 damage per frame, right because of the KR thing.

Meaning that Sans should always be able to deal 1 damage, no matter what, right because of his KR ignoring DEF completely. This is not like the normal monsters' magic where they have to also deal with the physical durability in order to deal damage, because the KR ignores it completely and just depletes the HP of the SOUL."

What is this comparison? Frisk can't hit Asriel because he is literally flying. Unless you're trying to say that Frisk and Asriel were like 1m away from each other, which is clearly not the case at the end of the fight. Mettaton doesn't get any damage because his metal body is what makes him invulnerable. If you want to say that "then why wasn't Mettaton EX invulnerable?", its because that form is much more fragile and is easier to take apart than his base. Meanwhile his base was MADE to be super tough. He literally tanks and brushes off the yellow mode's bullets like its nothing. While his EX form...well, we know what happened to it.

"Plus you forget that Sans' whole reason behind dura neg is not just SOUL attacks, but the fact that he can damage stack, making the "death from a million cuts" logic on a spiritual level.

You lack proof of KR being limited from the DEF stat unlike the other monsters, given that what we have in hand show him just ignoring it."

What??? Sans attacking the SOUL is just attacking your BODY. There's no proof insinuating that KR is a soul-hax, it's just a poison effect that harms you.

"Sans' attacks go through Frisk's soul, Frisk does not tank Sans' attacks as physical and they do the same damage no matter how beefed up in armor Frisk is.

KR is icing on the cake for his dura neg, it is not the meat and potatoes, saying "But that's the minimum!" Is the point, it doesn't matter how much or how little armor Frisk has on, Sans' attacks do the same thing with the same effects."

Game logic is being put as actual logic from an RPG now?? Sans' attacks go through the soul of the player, which I have ALREADY ESTABLISHED in this thread is the body, is just Sans ignoring the I-Frames. The way I-Frames work is that you become invincible (obviously) to the attacks, but that attack disappears. However, some of the monster's attacks literally don't disappear at all. So what's with that??

So what's my conclusion for all of this?

Well, I'm not trying to remove any abilities from Sans at all, but I am trying to update the reasoning for why he would win against X when being compared. People get Sans all wrong and think that his KR or Soul Manipulation is this "Hail Mary" hax that will save him despite being a lower tiered character.

KR overall is just a poison-type status effect that is induced onto somebody. There's nothing much too it that can make it seem so powerful.

What would I like to see?

To be honest, remove the wins from his profile and count it as outdated in those threads, it just seems so stupid and ignorant to just say just because Sans can manipulate one's soul he can instant kill 2-B, 2-C, etc characters. This thread is also, like I said before, to just count out the thought process of how karma works when theres clear counterarguments to it. If anybody has any questions or problems with it, I would be more than welcome to discuss about this issue in the replies below.

Oh, and I hope you guys agree with this too.

Last edited:
idrc for this, but few of what you said is border lining on being nonsense.

Sans, for those who don't know, have had some matchups on his profile against actually pretty powerful opponents, and TWO SPECIFIC winning condition that is usually seen in each of these wins.

First, lets start off with the pure obvious: Soul Manipulation

Examples include: Saitama vs. Sans, Alastor vs Sans, and Goku Black vs Sans

To make it brief: Yes, it is true that what we see in Undertale is obvious; Sans and the other monsters attack the human soul numerous time throughout the game. However: this has been shown to ONLY affect the actual body. This is consistent with what Flowey tells us in the tutorial part of the game. Now, this begs the big question:
Toriel saying 'not a scratch' isn't saying it only effects the body. (especially when flowey already established monsters can see your soul) hell you literally show flowey say the heart is your soul, summon magic, and hit it.
How can you have SOUL MANIPULATION if your attacks don't actually attack the soul?

This Q&A Thread goes over this very point in depth in the second question. Now obviously, most of the characters have since had their soul manipulation removed, HOWEVER: the previously mentioned VS Threads, these are still ON his profile without any question. Why is that? Now sure, it could be the fact that nobody bothered to change it due to the threads being some what old, but I feel like an evaluation on a character's whole profile should be done if they get a downgrade, INCLUDING VS Thread wins, losses, and etc.
No one lost their soul manipulation, it became limited durability negation since while they still hit the soul, their magic is still effected by conventional durability. please actually look at the profiles.
"Karma isn't the reason he keeps full dura neg, it's the fact he ignores items that raise your defense no matter what, karma is just soul poison he inflicts with his attacks, the attacks themselves still ignore the durability of frisk regardless what defensive items they may be using."

This, although a understandable point, is overall invalid. Characters in a RPG (especially in this case, Undertale) should not be able to do 0 damage to the player, EVEN with the defense buffs. This ruins the whole point of the fight and makes fighting Sans meaningless, as Sans was ALWAYS meant to do the default and LOWEST damage possible, which is 1. This is similar to how Toby also caps off some aspects of the battles you do just so you don't "break the game", for lack of a better term. A good example to use is Asgore. Although this isn't usual in the game, if you get stacks of pies in your inventory, you can continually keep on dwindling down Asgore's ATK until it hits 1. It CANNOT go any lower than because that's unironically stupid. Another good example is Temmie Armor. If you keep dying and dying, the price of it will drop lower and lower to the point where its actually pretty cheap (9999G to 750G). Although this isn't relevant to ATK, it does correlate to the fact that there are LIMITS to what you can or can't do. You can't just use the excuse of 'having higher DEF will save you for all damage', because it would be redundant to even play the game at that point at all. The Sans fight is meant to be a CHALLENGE, not to be an AFK brawl.
"Guys, heres something that's physically impossible to happen in game as proof that something that can conventionally happen in game is wrong!"

i don't need to explain why the asgore comment is stupid.
You can hit Asriel in his first phase, where he is also flying. he's just invulnerable and you a ton of damage to him and nothing happens.

Last edited:
Toriel saying 'not a scratch' isn't saying it only effects the body. (especially when flowey already established monsters can see your soul) hell you literally show flowey say the heart is your soul, summon magic, and hit it.
What do you mean? Toriel saying that WOULD mean it does effect the body. A soul can't get scratches dude... and also, did you even see what he said? "The very culmination of your being"

The soul being your body would be that culmination of what makes up Frisk. Whats literally what it means.
Plus, him saying "the heart is your soul" is true, but that doesn't mean anything. What I claim is to say that both the body and the soul ARE one but are expressed differently when in battle and outside of battle. It's literally an RPG.
No one lost their soul manipulation, it became limited durability negation since while they still hit the soul, their magic is still effected by conventional durability. please actually look at the profiles.
They did wdym?? Toriel and Asgore quite liteally dont have soul manipulation on their profiles. Neither does Undyne or Papyrus. Look at their profiles RIGHT NOW dude.

Where is that EVER stated on their profiles? Are we looking at the same wiki?
"Guys, heres something that's physically impossible to happen in game as proof that something that can conventionally happen in game is wrong!"

i don't need to explain why the asgore comment is stupid.
The asgore comment isn't stupid, its a point. If you actually look at the scripting for the sans or asgore, they CANNOT go below 1 damage. Doing 0 damage in a game, let alone an RPG would be even more stupid to claim. You need to prove that 0 damage is actually POSSIBLE to acheive.
You can hit Asriel in his first phase, where he is also flying. he's just invulnerable and you a ton of damage to him and nothing happens.
You need to prove that you can actually hit him. Otherwise your point of "heres something thats physically impossible in the game" would be dismissed by doing the EXACT same thing by modifying the game itself.

Last edited:
What do you mean? Toriel saying that WOULD mean it does effect the body. A soul can't get scratches dude... and also, did you even see what he said? "The very culmination of your being"
i think a soul can get a scratch when a laser beam is fired at it, personally. this same soul can also crack, and shatter. you really think it can't be scratched?

Flowey's line about it being the culmination of one's being also does not mean the soul is the body. you can interpret that line in many ways.
Plus, him saying "the heart is your soul" is true, but that doesn't mean anything. What I claim is to say that both the body and the soul ARE one but are expressed differently when in battle and outside of battle. It's literally an RPG.
idk man, having someone who's literally born a monster and educated in this matter say "this thing is your soul" probably means it's the soul. the body and the soul are not one, if they were, asgore probably wouldn't have been able to separate them like he did.
They did wdym?? Toriel and Asgore quite liteally dont have soul manipulation on their profiles. Neither does Undyne or Papyrus. Look at their profiles RIGHT NOW dude.

Where is that EVER stated on their profiles? Are we looking at the same wiki?
Someone isn't actually reading the profile correctly... physiology pages are on their profiles for a reason.
The asgore comment isn't stupid, its a point. If you actually look at the scripting for the sans or asgore, they CANNOT go below 1 damage. Doing 0 damage in a game, let alone an RPG would be even more stupid to claim. You need to prove that 0 damage is actually POSSIBLE to acheive.
why would i need to prove that? your the one making the CRT. you need to prove that 0 damage isn't possible without using non-canonical, and impossible scenarios. (which turns out i myself prove IS possible below with asriel)
You need to prove that you can actually hit him. Otherwise your point of "heres something thats physically impossible in the game" would be dismissed by doing the EXACT same thing by modifying the game itself.
correction, due to how the game is coded, when attacking asriel, you do zero damage, however due to how the game is coded, it shows 'miss' instead of just '0'. (the same thing happens with Mettaton aswell if i recall)

still possible within the regular game, and you still hit him as the damage sound still plays when hitting him. toby's undertale' spaghetti code just doesn't take into account doing 0 damage to an opponent.

Last edited:

This, although a understandable point, is overall invalid. Characters in a RPG (especially in this case, Undertale) should not be able to do 0 damage to the player, EVEN with the defense buffs. This ruins the whole point of the fight and makes fighting Sans meaningless, as Sans was ALWAYS meant to do the default and LOWEST damage possible, which is 1. This is similar to how Toby also caps off some aspects of the battles you do just so you don't "break the game", for lack of a better term.
This sounds kinda like Appeal to Motive. “Sans can only damage you because in RPG game enemies are supposed to do so!”
Anyways, that’s the WHOLE point: the enemy with lowest stats still manages to fight you in the game. KR mechanics are recognized in the game (your sins are crawling on your back; KARMA coursing through your veins). You can’t ignore the feat due to some motivations that author could have had. By that logic we should never consider any “protagonist beats antagonist” in cartoons because “in cartoons, the good guy needs to always win”.
A good example to use is Asgore. Although this isn't usual in the game, if you get stacks of pies in your inventory, you can continually keep on dwindling down Asgore's ATK until it hits 1. It CANNOT go any lower than because that's unironically stupid.
This was NOT a good example. Asgore would obvious become more depressed, but NOT to the point he would refuse to fight.
Another good example is Temmie Armor. If you keep dying and dying, the price of it will drop lower and lower to the point where its actually pretty cheap (9999G to 750G). Although this isn't relevant to ATK, it does correlate to the fact that there are LIMITS to what you can or can't do.
Do you really think Temmie would give it to you freely?
You can't just use the excuse of 'having higher DEF will save you for all damage', because it would be redundant to even play the game at that point at all.
The point of DEF is that it makes others attacks deal less damage… which is a fair again EXCEPT ONE… guess who is this.
The Sans fight is meant to be a CHALLENGE, not to be an AFK brawl.
Again, the reason of it is recognized in the game.
You lack proof of KR being limited from the DEF stat unlike the other monsters, given that what we have in hand show him just ignoring it."

What??? Sans attacking the SOUL is just attacking your BODY. There's no proof insinuating that KR is a soul-hax, it's just a poison effect that harms you.
We see it attacking the thing that one of the most knowledgeable people call it a “soul”. Is this trolling or something?
So do you now agree it is soul and not body?
which I have ALREADY ESTABLISHED in this thread is the body, is just Sans ignoring the I-Frames. The way I-Frames work is that you become invincible (obviously) to the attacks, but that attack disappears.
That was part of the justification iirc.
However, some of the monster's attacks literally don't disappear at all.
Who else?

On other matters agree with Comiphorous.

Damn, that's a lot to unpack, right? Well...
Damaging the body in UT damages also the SOUL and viceversa. This is why you see literally this anytime you die.

Now obviously, most of the characters have since had their soul manipulation removed
Only thing that was removed was the SOUL hax fully negging durability, not that they don't have it anymore.
You do realize this actually debunks your whole post, right? Undertale is a RPG that heavily uses the 4th wall, so game mechanics are bound to get relevant to the lore. So this point is kinda moot.
What is this comparison? Frisk can't hit Asriel because he is literally flying.
Are you really sure?
If you bothered to actually read these profiles, you'd know they have this:

Which has this:

SOUL Manipulation: Monsters' magic attacks the SOUL, which is the essence of one's being. Some monsters can also manipulate the SOUL of their opponent though inflicting status effects, such as making it heavier or unable to walk away from a point in the area.

Plus this whole post ignores how Sans' entire thing is to bypass the rules of the game, with him having only 1 ATK/DEF and still being able to effortlessly kill someone with 99 ATK/DEF (way more than Asgore), being capable of attacking the menu or to extend his turn indefininitely. Saying he cannot dura neg the SOUL (something literally everything in Undertale can attack) is defeating the point of his character.

So disagree, alongside the points anyone else made.

i think a soul can get a scratch when a laser beam is fired at it, personally. this same soul can also crack, and shatter. you really think it can't be scratched?
What kind of argument is this??? No disrespect but personally, you need to prove this or otherwise this is a moot and fruitless point. I really don't see why you would consider that. I know its WHAT you think but like...dude... really?

Just because a soul can shatter and crack in game doesn't mean it would have scratches. It's meant to represent the death of the player, not to actually show that its a physical thing one can harm. If you wanna say "yeah but its MAGICAL ATTACKS", yeah sure, but the point is: why would a soul get some sort of bruise in the first place when that isn't shown AT ALL? Frisk quite literally tanks THOUSANDS of attacks and hell, even fights Asriel who we all know gave them a beating. Where do you EVER see a scratch? Also, if it did get a scratch, you do realize that it wouldn't be a spiritual thing anymore...right?
Flowey's line about it being the culmination of one's being also does not mean the soul is the body. you can interpret that line in many ways.
What would be the CORRECT interpretation then? From your eyes.
idk man, having someone who's literally born a monster and educated in this matter say "this thing is your soul" probably means it's the soul. the body and the soul are not one, if they were, asgore probably wouldn't have been able to separate them like he did.
I don't mean they're PHYSICALLY one, although if I worded it like I did (which I think did), I apologize for that. When I say physically one I mean like, "the soul is meant to represent the body and vice versa", but I mean when attacking the soul shown in the battle box, this would just overall affect the body itself.
why would i need to prove that? your the one making the CRT. you need to prove that 0 damage isn't possible without using non-canonical, and impossible scenarios. (which turns out i myself prove IS possible below with asriel)
Again, the code already shows that its set to be that way, especially for sans. Trying to change his damage values wouldn't actually do anything to sans' damage itself. And even if you want to ignore the code aspect: Why would a monster be able to no damage at ALL. Even if you had 9999 DEF or whatever, WHY would sans do no damage to you? ATK overall is meant to counteract DEF lol.

correction, due to how the game is coded, when attacking asriel, you do zero damage, however due to how the game is coded, it shows 'miss' instead of just '0'. (the same thing happens with Mettaton aswell if i recall)

still possible within the regular game, and you still hit him as the damage sound still plays when hitting him. toby's undertale' spaghetti code just doesn't take into account doing 0 damage to an opponent.
No actually, you still do damage to mettaton. Asriel however would be understandable even if you hit him as he would be meant to be invulnerable to attacks due to his "infinite DEF" (Although the code says otherwise)

What kind of argument is this??? No disrespect but personally, you need to prove this or otherwise this is a moot and fruitless point. I really don't see why you would consider that. I know its WHAT you think but like...dude... really?

Just because a soul can shatter and crack in game doesn't mean it would have scratches. It's meant to represent the death of the player, not to actually show that its a physical thing one can harm. If you wanna say "yeah but its MAGICAL ATTACKS", yeah sure, but the point is: why would a soul get some sort of bruise in the first place when that isn't shown AT ALL? Frisk quite literally tanks THOUSANDS of attacks and hell, even fights Asriel who we all know gave them a beating. Where do you EVER see a scratch? Also, if it did get a scratch, you do realize that it wouldn't be a spiritual thing anymore...right?
Monsters can attack ghosts while Frisk can't. What is this?
No actually, you still do damage to mettaton. Asriel however would be understandable even if you hit him as he would be meant to be invulnerable to attacks due to his "infinite DEF" (Although the code says otherwise)
Both Asriel and MTT in his box form have 9999 DEF in coding lol.

This sounds kinda like Appeal to Motive. “Sans can only damage you because in RPG game enemies are supposed to do so!”
Anyways, that’s the WHOLE point: the enemy with lowest stats still manages to fight you in the game. KR mechanics are recognized in the game (your sins are crawling on your back; KARMA coursing through your veins). You can’t ignore the feat due to some motivations that author could have had. By that logic we should never consider any “protagonist beats antagonist” in cartoons because “in cartoons, the good guy needs to always win”.
This is a fair point, however: Sans being able to do 0 damage just because you have a lot of DEF would not make sense at all. What I mean is, if that was the case he wouldn't be able to actually do any damage, yet he still does. Omega Flowey has DEF in the code pretty sure and it is pretty high, yet Frisk is still able to do ANY damage to them at all? (Obviously this is referring to BEFORE his def drops)

This was NOT a good example. Asgore would obvious become more depressed, but NOT to the point he would refuse to fight.
No? Do you not understand? Just because a character does 0 damage doesn't mean they're not fighting you. Asgore would just not be able to HARM frisk if he was able to go below 1.
Do you really think Temmie would give it to you freely?
The point is that there are LIMITS to the game itself.
The point of DEF is that it makes others attacks deal less damage… which is a fair again EXCEPT ONE… guess who is this.
Again, Sans is literally made to do 1 only because thats how he was scripted. Hes forced to do so. Doing less than 1 damage would make the game count it as a miss.

Also, I hope you realize that the Cloudy Glasses give I-Frames which SANS CANNOT IGNORE. (I honestly should've brought this up in my original post.
We see it attacking the thing that one of the most knowledgeable people call it a “soul”. Is this trolling or something?
KR is JUST for poison. Thats literally it (not saying its actual poison, we dont know what it actually is but its a poison like effect)
So do you now agree it is soul and not body?
No. I say soul because thats what it is usually called and referred to. I already said that the soul is meant to reflect the body being harmed
Who else?
Mettaton, the Amalgalmates, and other monsters.

Wasn’t it accepted that monsters do physical damage to Frisk (just like when Toriel damaged SOULLESS Flowey, and the fact that physical armor can help you with soul dmg), which is why the point of “scratch” doesn’t really work? It’s more about the fact that Sans ignored armor and deals the same amount of damage no matter how good is your physical armor.

No? Do you not understand? Just because a character does 0 damage doesn't mean they're not fighting you. Asgore would just not be able to HARM frisk if he was able to go below 1.
Frisk defeating monsters at LV 1 with 0 ATK:
The point is that there are LIMITS to the game itself.
I… still don’t get how is this relevant.
Again, Sans is literally made to do 1 only because thats how he was scripted. Hes forced to do so. Doing less than 1 damage would make the game count it as a miss.
That’s recognized in the game itself: “The easiest enemy”. And as I mentioned, the game recognizes the KR mechanics, and it is supposed to be so as Sans recognizes LV and EXP. Game mechanics are literally canon in this case.
And again, MTT and Asriel get “MISS”, the game can have that.
Also, I hope you realize that the Cloudy Glasses give I-Frames which SANS CANNOT IGNORE. (I honestly should've brought this up in my original post.
It’s literally due to its mechanics with I-Frames, not because of how durable is the armor, it is obviously worse than the locket.
KR is JUST for poison. Thats literally it (not saying its actual poison, we dont know what it actually is but its a poison like effect)
Yes, but the point is that it poisons Frisk’s SOUL.
No. I say soul because thats what it is usually called and referred to. I already said that the soul is meant to reflect the body being harmed
It is the case for almost everybody: their SOUL manipulation cannot ignore conventional durability. That’s, once again, not the case with Sans who does not give a flying bone about that.
Mettaton, the Amalgalmates, and other monsters.
Your invulnerability still stays.

Damaging the body in UT damages also the SOUL and viceversa. This is why you see literally this anytime you die.

I am aware. However this is WHEN YOU DIE. Frisk dies because they're so badly injured that not even the soul can retain their being.
Only thing that was removed was the SOUL hax fully negging durability, not that they don't have it anymore.
Ah okay, thanks for telling me.
You do realize this actually debunks your whole post, right? Undertale is a RPG that heavily uses the 4th wall, so game mechanics are bound to get relevant to the lore. So this point is kinda moot.
The point of that argument is not to say game mechanics are irrelevant but for it was more so to tackle on how that would quite literally be dumb to say that since Sans can constantly do 1 damage, its dura neg, even tho (and I said this multiple times) thats what hes SCRIPTED to do.
Yes. Whimsum is obvious. They're not moving and just flying in place, so its obvious that Frisk would just be able to hit them.

As for mad dummy, you can actually see the attack itself LAND on him regardless of his positioning, meaning that Frisk is actively attempting to hit him if you choose to fight. However, Asriel would be too far away for Frisk to hit. Even if you wanna say they weren't, they still MISS their attack completely from what we see.
this whole post ignores how Sans' entire thing is to bypass the rules of the game, with him having only 1 ATK/DEF and still being able to effortlessly kill someone with 99 ATK/DEF (way more than Asgore), being capable of attacking the menu or to extend his turn indefininitely. Saying he cannot dura neg the SOUL (something literally everything in Undertale can attack) is defeating the point of his character.
Ok then, give him law manipulation then.

(I'm obviously joking)

I do think we need to give Sans Law Manip but that's a thread for another day

As for the thread, Papyrus refers to the SOUL as a "tiny floating heart" during his date if you touch his arms. So it's definitely not a stand-in for the body

However, damage done to the SOUL does indeed reflect onto Frisk's body, look no further than the "Pose" act during Mettaton EX's fight, where Frisk is noted to have wounds when at low HP

That said, I disagree with the OP for many (but not all) of the points above. I also want to note that decimal damage does exist in some capacity as seen in Asriel's fight. While this was probably more of Frisk's doing than Asriel's attack, that still means that the concept of doing less than one damage is a thing in the setting.

(idk why the text is small. it says its the right size in the info bar)

All right, let's go over my thoughts on this.
  1. Sans' Soul Manipulation. Let's ignore that the whole reason the dura neg became limited is because the attacks are generally physical and Sans' attacks flat out ignore Frisk's soul and defense and go right through it. IE he was NEVER affected by the change because the arguments do not apply to him in the first place.
  2. KR is essentially soul poison, arguing anything else argues against the game. Sans' attacks apply this then take it away-- for instance, let's say Saitama has 20 health on his SOUL, KR would apply to 19 of it then get bursted down and THEN Saitama's soul goes poof, he's got 39 health in that instance as far as Sans' attacks are concerned, still enough to die in less than a second of contact.
Do I think this thread is bogus? Yes. Am I going to argue over the intricacies of why Sans dura negs? No. No I am not. I don't like to debate undertale for a damn reason.

However, Asriel would be too far away for Frisk to hit. Even if you wanna say they weren't, they still MISS their attack completely from what we see.
61c0c38354164.jpeg

I am aware. However this is WHEN YOU DIE. Frisk dies because they're so badly injured that not even the soul can retain their being.
Literal headcanon.
The point of that argument is not to say game mechanics are irrelevant but for it was more so to tackle on how that would quite literally be dumb to say that since Sans can constantly do 1 damage, its dura neg, even tho (and I said this multiple times) thats what hes SCRIPTED to do.
Sans' whole thing is to apply the concept of "death by a thousand cuts" very, VERY literally. Aka, again, Sans' stuff is dura neg because of him always dealing 1 damage per frame, no matter how high ur DEF is.
As for mad dummy, you can actually see the attack itself LAND on him regardless of his positioning, meaning that Frisk is actively attempting to hit him if you choose to fight. However, Asriel would be too far away for Frisk to hit. Even if you wanna say they weren't, they still MISS their attack completely from what we see.
Headcanon (2).

Plus the only reason why Frisk's attacks (despite clearly landing hits) don't have an effect is because of Mad Dummy not needing a physical body, so its vessel isn't relevant.

The same happens with Mad Mew Mew despite her not moving that much for the same reason.

However, in coding, both MTT and Asriel have 9999 DEF, so that explains it.

Last edited:
Back