• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Revising Marvel's Abstracts (Part 2 of ????)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody cares... this is bias, Ant...
No, it isn't. I have already accepted the main revision. Starlin has just repeatedly proven himself to be a power-mad egomaniac who wantonly messes up established continuity, even contradicts himself, and identifies strongly with his powertripping psychopathic Gary Stu character Thanos.

Also, this is still a staff only thread, and I still have the right to express my viewpoints without instant pile-ons.

No, it isn't. I have already accepted the main revision. Starlin has just repeatedly proven himself to be a power-mad egomaniac who wantonly messes up established continuity, even contradicts himself, and identifies strongly with his powertripping psychopathic Gary Stu character Thanos.
Ya see the bolded parts? Yeah that's the bias coming in. Just because ya don't like the guy doesn't mean his stories can't be used, find issues conflicting with the Cosmology set up here from Starlin's side directly, okay? This solves about 50% of the criticisms people have of you

What do you want me to say? Starlin has stated himself that he unashamedly identifies strongly with Thanos, and keeps continuously focusing on stories about completely power-mad subjugation and genocide where Thanos keeps winning almost effortlessly, and has also repeatedly completely disrespected much better and nicer storytellers in his works (including an extremely disrespectful portrayal of Stan Lee and John Romita as circus clowns producing a mountain of garbage) and in interviews, and uses an indiscriminate unconcerned wrecking-ball approach to his storytelling style in relation to what other writers have established, even Jack Kirby's version of the Source.

Last edited:
As for what Starlin himself has established, the Heart of the Universe was only portrayed at a Low 2-C scale of power/influence in its perception of reality, and the step upwards from that, the cosmic regulator storyline, clearly established that there were just lots of parallell universes beyond that, with the Above All Others ruling over them, and given that Starlin doesn't care at all about what others have established, he should be scaled on his own. His cosmology only seems to be of a 2-B to Low 1-C scale.

What do you want me to say? Starlin has stated himself that he unashamedly identifies strongly with Thanos, and keeps continuously focusing on stories about completely power-mad subjugation and genocide, and has also repeatedly completely disrespected much better and nicer storytellers in his works (including Stan Lee and Joh Romita) and in interviews, and uses an indiscriminate unconcerned wrecking-ball approach to his storytelling style in relation to what other writers have established, even Jack Kirby.
I know Ant, but at the end of the day it's an author of a big ass verse spanning nearly a century at this point, it's getting more... political then people are comfortable with. If you want I will make a thread where you can pour out all your annoyance for the man as well as other Marvel and DC writers, just... keep it off the revisions please

Well, I thought that it was relevant regarding Starlin's overall egomaniacal and completely uninterested attitude towards what has been established by other storytellers.

Last edited:
Well, I thought that it was relevant regarding Starlin's overall egomaniacal and conpletely uninterested attitude towards what has been established by other storytellers.
And it may be, but it's also one of the main criticisms of you...

Anyways, I'm gonna stop commenting since I don't recall actually having permission and I'm also derailing

Well, I am far from perfect, but I am doing lots of meditation exercises regularly to help evolving myself in a more positive direction.

I will also stop talking about Starlin, as I have already said what I needed to say.

Elements from previous comics of Starlin's don't take precedence over what was established in the Infinity Saga proper, I don't think
Yeah, but how does All-Above-Others being vaguely above (not a step above like you're claiming) The Living Tribunal contradict those elements? He's not even the real One-Above-All, and TLT is so much less powerful that he can't even verify that AAO isn't omnipotent.

And if TLT is only universal, why does it matter that he's a step above universal Eternity and co? That's kind of how it should be.
especially when what I said is pretty much unquestionable. For example Above-All-Others and the Living Tribunal have a chat where the former explicitly refers to the Tribunal as the overseer of a single reality (This being the one that was once Adam Warlock), and then this same Tribunal later teams up with Above-All-Others to fight Thanos, which wouldn't make sense if he was just one manifestation of a higher Tribunal.
But this is wrong because we previously see the Adam Warlock tribunal overseeing the recreated version of his own Earth-19141 reality. So there's at least two higher manifestations of Adam Warlock TLT made by Starlin.
And overall the whole thing can't really be excused by M-Bodies, given that the Tribunals of each reality are outright treated as separate entities instead of momentary projections of a singular being, which is what M-Bodies are.
I'm saying they're M-Bodies in the sense that they're visible. I'm not excusing it with M-Bodies. The very simple explanation is that TLT isn't infinitely stronger than the Abstracts because he's a universal body rather than his multiversal form that fought The Beyonders.
I concede on the point that there is indeed a Multiversal Tribunal in Starlin's Cosmology. Although the point about the other Abstracts having no multiversal versions stands.
But there's just no proof of this, though. Even if your point didn't hinge on that one assertion, how is All-Above-Others' standing (which isn't explicitly stated to be universal or multiversal) proof that multiversal Eternity doesn't exist in Starlin's view?

Last edited:
I conceded that there is indeed a Multiversal Tribunal in Starlin's Cosmology, so, some of this stuff I won't bother with.

But there's just no proof of this, though. Even if your point didn't hinge on that one assertion, how is All-Above-Others' standing (which isn't explicitly stated to be universal or multiversal) proof that multiversal Eternity doesn't exist?
Because Above-All-Others in the storyline is pretty much treated as the direct personification of all realities, since this is what Thanos becomes after he absorbs them. And that's also demonstrated by the fact that their unlimited power is dependent on the stability of the multiverse. When Thanos starts ******* shit up and causing realities to meld together by grabbing the Astral Regulator of his reality, the resulting imbalance results in AAO not being omnipotent and infallible anymore.

So Above-All-Others pretty much takes the role that the Multiversal Eternity has in the regular cosmology. There can't be two different personifications of the multiverse walking around. At best you can have facets of the same force.

Yeah, but how does All-Above-Others being vaguely above (not a step above like you're claiming) The Living Tribunal contradict those elements?
Because those stories all go with the age-old idea that the Living Tribunal is TOAA's direct sidekick and the most powerful being in existence aside from him. So much so that, like I pointed out, the Tribunal actually fights by Above-All-Others' side in the last scuffle against Thanos. That characterization doesn't really work (Especially now, since it's implied that AAO made the new Tribunal more powerful than the Beyonders that killed the old). if there are things in-between the two in power, which Multi-Eternity would be.

So Above-All-Others pretty much takes the role that the Multiversal Eternity has in the regular cosmology. There can't be two different personifications of the multiverse walking around.
Or All-Above-Others also embodies the Cosmos on an even higher and fundamental scale because he plays a superior role in it to Eternity, Griever and The Queen of Nevers, much like how universal Eternity does with other Abstracts.
Because those stories all go with the age-old idea that the Living Tribunal is TOAA's direct sidekick and the most powerful being in existence aside from him.
TLT can still just be appointed above Eternity in terms of rank by TOAA without being more powerful. He is the living embodiment of balance between forces in the multiverse, after all.

Also, I'm pretty sure Multi-Eternity physically can't even manifest inside of a singular reality or even Overspace. When we see actual multiversal abstracts do battle, it's either in all realities or the Superflow. So we can't even know if this TLT was his multiversal version because the fight with All-Above-Others (who wouldn't have the same limitations as Abstracts) was in one reality.
So much so that, like I pointed out, the Tribunal actually fights by Above-All-Others' side in the last scuffle against Thanos.
I don't see how that means anything.

TLT and Eternity are so much less powerful than All-Above-Others, even according to statements from Starlin's comic, that they wouldn't have remotely presented a chance of turning the tide against Thanos, who'd already absorbed one TLT, if AOO couldn't. This is like saying that Gohan is more powerful than Piccolo because Goku brought him to fight Gero rather than Piccolo.
Especially now, since it's implied that AAO made the new Tribunal more powerful than the Beyonders that killed the old
This statement is extremely questionable because it was universal TLT that made the claim. Plus, I don't even see how TLT becoming stronger makes much difference.

Last edited:
Or All-Above-Others also embodies the Cosmos on an even higher and fundamental scale because he plays a superior role in it to Eternity, Griever and The Queen of Nevers, much like how universal Eternity does with other Abstracts.
That doesn't really work because Eternity is the cosmos itself, and there is no higher personification of it that ranks above him. In fact we're even told that he's the concept of reality itself, and that anything beyond him is likewise beyond the concept of existence, which we see by the fact that the realms of the Mystery aren't really higher versions of the multiverse so much as they're the voids from which the multiverse is born at all.

So, with this in mind, there really is no place for Above-All-Others in a cosmology where Multi-Eternity exists, and the opposite holds, too: If Above-All-Others exists, Multi-Eternity has no place in the cosmology.

TLT can still just be appointed above Eternity in terms of rank by TOAA without being more powerful. He is the living embodiment of balance between forces in the multiverse.

Also, I'm pretty sure Multi-Eternity physically can't even manifest inside of a singular reality or even Overspace. When we see actual multiversal abstracts do battle, it's either in all realities or the Superflow. So we can't even know if this TLT was his multiversal version because the fight with All-Above-Others (who wouldn't have the same limitations as Abstracts) was in one reality.
The Living Tribunal isn't really above Multi-Eternity in ranking or in authority, and in fact applying those terms to him is incorrect because he is not part of the hierarchy in which those things mean anything in the first place. The hierarchy is part of him, not vice-versa.

(Also the last scan you posted is Thanos saying that the aftermath of his fight with the Tribunal and AAO affects all realities, so, I don't know what it's meant to show)

And Multi-Eternity can do that indeed, actually.

I don't see how that means anything.

TLT and Eternity are so much less powerful than All-Above-Others, even according to statements from Starlin's comic, that they wouldn't have remotely presented a chance of turning the tide against Thanos, who'd already absorbed one TLT, if AOO couldn't. This is like saying that Gohan is more powerful than Piccolo because Goku brought him to fight Gero rather than Piccolo.
You're missing the point. This being that the Tribunal directly teaming up with AAO against Thanos is really just another expression of the idea that he's TOAA's Number 2, which was indeed a thing once upon a time, and which evidently is still a thing to Starlin. Much of Starlin's depiction of the cosmics there is rooted entirely in how the old comics, and him in particular, depicted them, in fact.

That doesn't really work because Eternity is the cosmos itself, and there is no higher personification of it that ranks above him.
God is everything and nothing in Marvel (though obviously this probably isn't the same as Above-All-Others), which would include the multiverse, and as I showed in the scan there are more facets to the order of the multiverse than Eternity alone, like entropy and probability. So my point was that it doesn't matter that Eternity is the concept of the multiverse.

Also, let's just analyse the claim here. Warlock doesn't say 'Thanos is the personification of the multiverse', he says 'Thanos is the personification of all realities'. Wouldn't that also contradict each Eternity being the concept of said realities by your logic? And wouldn't that not necessarily even cover the Superflow and Neutral Zone?

And even then, Thanos has the Astral Regulator. Warlock didn't say Thanos gained this level from All-Above-Others, so why can't we assume that he absorbed every single Eternity as well as All-Above-Others (whose pan-dimensional would at least give him that range)? Hell, in order to become all realities in a similar fashion to one reality, he'd have to absorb the associated aspects in those realities. So he'd have absorbed all Eternities, TLTs, etc anyway.
The Living Tribunal isn't really above Multi-Eternity in ranking or in authority, and in fact applying those terms to him is incorrect because he is not part of the hierarchy in which those things mean anything in the first place. The hierarchy is part of him, not vice-versa.
Ok, then. But his role in the cosmic hierarchy is still to judge all realities. So being TOAA's representative without being more powerful than Eternity is still quite possible due to his role.
(Also the last scan you posted is Thanos saying that the aftermath of his fight with the Tribunal and AAO affects all realities, so, I don't know what it's meant to show)
What it's meant to show is that this was likely universal TLT anyway. If there is a multiversal TLT in Starlin's story,

It didn't say the battle affected all realities, it said a new dawn would fall upon them after Thanos won. With your scan in mind, this refers to the fact that Thanos became the multiverse.
What says that's Multi-Eternity? What we know from that scan (and why I use it) is that Eternity is the one of the dominant forces of existence (which applies on a universal scale), but it doesn't say this is Multi-Eternity and doesn't exactly make sense when any Eternity would have to use an M-Body to even be inaccurately seen by beings on this level.

And even then, those are just floating head projections.
You're missing the point.
I'm not missing the point because my point is that being someone's best servant doesn't make your their most powerful servant.

I don't think it teaming up in a fight with an immeasurably more powerful being perpetuates anything.
which evidently is still a thing to Starlin.
Literally all of Starlin's depictions (as far back as Infinity War) involve universal Eternities and universal TLTs, though.

This is what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:
As for what Starlin himself has established, the Heart of the Universe was only portrayed at a Low 2-C scale of power/influence in its perception of reality, and the step upwards from that, the cosmic regulator storyline, clearly established that there were just lots of parallell universes beyond that, with the Above All Others ruling over them, and given that Starlin doesn't care at all about what others have established, he should be scaled on his own. His cosmology only seems to be of a 2-B to Low 1-C scale.
What about this?

On second though, I don't care about separating the two cosmologies and I have three overdue sandboxes for other verses. So I'm not going to bother continuing this argument.

But can we agree that there's infinite universal TLTs, and they have the same tier (not same AP, mind you) as universal Eternity?

On second though, I don't care about separating the two cosmologies and I have three overdue sandboxes for other verses. So I'm not going to bother continuing this argument.
Eh, it's whatever. Easier for me that way, in any case.

But can we agree that there's infinite universal TLTs, and they have the same tier (not same AP, mind you) as universal Eternity?
Yeah. The tier I have in mind for naked golden man here is pretty much "Varies, up to Low 1-A | High 1-A"

Can others reread the post-ascension Thanos scene in "Marvel Universe: The End", so you understand what I am referring to please?

Perhaps for now we can focus on Marvel proper before touching on the side content like MU: The End, since it's not exactly the same cosmology and all.

We can always circle back around to this topic after everything is all set in stone rather than spreading ourselves thin and making things more convoluted than they have to be.

Well, I think that all of the revisions will be applied in conjunction, and that the Starlin scaling is what seems to be left to decide here (unless we are waiting for DontTalk to verify the main scaling), along with changing all mentions of "omniverse" to "multiverse" instead.

I think the main question really is : Do we actually need Don'tTalk to conclude the thread ? I personally don't think so. Unlike the other thread which had a good bit of tension and a lack of staff input at the start, this one started off with an abundance of staff support and approval, from major staff no less, and I don't think there was even one disagree this entire thread. That plus how long the thread has been opened, makes me think, at least personally, that Don'tTalk isn't needed to conclude the thread.

If the revision is basically accepted (Which it seems to be, 4 admins and all), then I may as well:

along with changing all mentions of "omniverse" to "multiverse" instead.
Not really necessary. We can just clarify what "Omniverse" means in Marvel nowadays. It's just a cosmological term like any other and clinging to the old guidebook definition is just silly at this point.

Look, I am firmly not accepting that you are using the term "omniverse", as it goes against what the term fundamentally means as Mark Gruenwald defined it when he originally invented it. "Multiverse" is factually correct, and Al Ewing even admitted that he used "omniverse" incorrectly. I am not budging in this regard. You cannot always get your way regarding absolutely everything.

Also, I still think that you are scaling the Starlin cosmology enormously too high in relation to what the author in question has matter of fact established.

I Google-searched and found the scan that I was thinking of that established the Heart of the Universe, which was presented as powerful enough to kill Jim Starlin's version of the Living Tribunal, as peaking at Low 2-C in its perceptions/reach.

Given that Starlin only established parallell universes as existing beyond this point, his cosmology should likely be rated as 2-B or 2-A.

Last edited:
So the only proof higher mathematical infinities, in this crt, is when it was mentioned in Quasar #25 that there are numbers greater than infinity.

“Of course, there are the infamous scans where authors ended up giving comically wrong explanations of how infinities in Set Theory work. Those obviously won't be taken into account, and neither are they to be taken as "How infinities work in Marvel," since that'd lead to a plethora of obvious issues. Only the scans that don't accidentally explain this shit wrong are worthy of consideration in this scenario.”
(Taken from the last thread)

How are they won’t be taken into account when they literally used the same phrase(numbers greater than infinity) and even gave their own explanation and example of what “transfinite” is. It happened twice.

So how come Quasar’s statement are worthy of consideration and we can simply disregard the other two which has more context explaining the transfinite? Besides them not fitting your view to upscale the verse?

Even Kubik’s statement of “Thus as demonstrated two levels of infinity. There are, of course, an infinite number more.” The level of difference they’ve shown is merely on ℕ₀ and an infinite stack of ℕ₀ and even the union of countably many sets of countable infinite sets is still countable.

Power-setting an infinite set increases its cardinality, at least, the next higher-order aleph/beth. But did Marvel ever showcase such?

So how is ℕ₂ existent in Marvel?

Here is the full Jim Starlin story segment that I mentioned in my last post:

read comic online. li/Comic/Marvel-Universe-The-End/Issue-5?id=117467

Look, I am firmly not accepting that you are using the term "omniverse", as it goes against what the term fundamentally means as Mark Gruenwald defined it when he originally invented it. "Multiverse" is factually correct, and Al Ewing even admitted that he used "omniverse" incorrectly. I am not budging in this regard. You cannot always get your way regarding absolutely everything.
"Multiverse" is correct, sure, but so is "omniverse." No term is immutable, especially in a verse like Marvel, and even if Al Ewing's claimed to have used the term incorrectly, other writers have done it before and after him. All of that trumps the one time that the term was used to refer to "All of reality and fiction combined" in one handbook.

I Google-searched and found the scan that I was thinking of that established the Heart of the Universe, which was presented as powerful enough to kill Jim Starlin's version of the Living Tribunal, as peaking at Low 2-C in its perceptions/reach.

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-b18162b4b6919eca27e87d3407238b1b-lq
Given that Starlin only established parallell universes as existing beyond this point, his cosmology should likely be rated as 2-B or 2-A.
We've already established that individual Earths in Marvel are Low 1-A, and Starlin's comics never, at any point, contradicted the bits of evidence that led us there. No particular reason to dismiss it for his writings in particular, especially when The End doesn't have anything that strictly cap its depiction of the universal structure at Tier 2.

How are they won’t be taken into account when they literally used the same phrase(numbers greater than infinity) and even gave their own explanation and example of what “transfinite” is. It happened twice.

So how come Quasar’s statement are worthy of consideration and we can simply disregard the other two which has more context explaining the transfinite? Besides them not fitting your view to upscale the verse?

Even Kubik’s statement of “Thus as demonstrated two levels of infinity. There are, of course, an infinite number more.” The level of difference they’ve shown is merely on ℕ₀ and an infinite stack of ℕ₀ and even the union of countably many sets of countable infinite sets is still countable.

Power-setting an infinite set increases its cardinality, at least, the next higher-order aleph/beth. But did Marvel ever showcase such?
They won't be taken into account because they give an incorrect explanation of set theory. Quasar's scan doesn't do that, so it will be taken into account insofar as evidence for 1-A and up goes.

Overall, we aren't going to take Kubik and Strange's explanation as "How infinities work in Marvel" because it at the core isn't actually supposed to be a statement on how things in the verse work different from IRL, it's just a couple of writers getting things incorrectly, and we aren't going to take it as a fact of the cosmology any more than we'll take every other time a writer gets a science fact wrong as such. We aren't going to treat a bug as a feature.

Last edited:
They won't be taken into account because they give an incorrect explanation of set theory. Quasar's scan doesn't do that, so it will be taken into account insofar as evidence for 1-A and up goes.
The issue is that Quasar didn’t even explain what transfinite numbers are NOR gave an example like the other two instances. So how do you know it has a different definition? Because you’re basing it on a single line “there are numbers greater than infinity” when that was also existent in Dr Strange’s scan. The word “transfinite” is also the same.

Seems more just like a bias. I mean you are welcome to post a scan that shows a higher mathematical cardinality. Iirc that was the only two instances that when Marvel ever explained and also gave an example of what transfinite/higher infinities and after that, they didn’t bother. And in modern time, Alephs became more of a species rather than an actual one from set theory.

Last edited:
Also, I still think that you are scaling the Starlin cosmology enormously too high in relation to what the author in question has matter of fact established.

I think that it depends a lot on the time. Going by most of his recent materials that have been mostly his isolated Thanos works, that could really be the case considering he just does his thing on isolated works. That wasn't the case for most of the time in the early years, even when you look at the works related to the Infinity Gauntlet there was a lot of build-up from the work of previous writers, especially when he's just following the story threads that were written by others.

Like, the whole story of the original Infinity Gauntlet was continuing from the story of the Silver Surfer books after the fight against the In-Betweener that had a whole focus on a different universe/level of existence that was mentioned in the previous thread, which higher planes of existence being mentioned in those stories.

They definitely lacked a deeper explanation that we could see in other books, but it was much more interconnected with the works of other authors with the inconsistencies being just the natural ones we could see between the multiple books at the time from different authors.

I can definitely see the more recent graphic novels that try to deal with the multiverse as lacking proper build up on the metaphyisical layers, but the previous universal-level stories had mentions about a deeper structure of the universe that was borrowing from the works of other authors.

"Multiverse" is correct, sure, but so is "omniverse." No term is immutable, especially in a verse like Marvel, and even if Al Ewing's claimed to have used the term incorrectly, other writers have done it before and after him. All of that trumps the one time that the term was used to refer to "All of reality and fiction combined" in one handbook.
The point is that as far as I am aware Mark Gruenwald, the original creator of the Marvel Comics handbooks, also originally invented the term "omniverse" in a fanzine with the same name, and defined it as all of fiction and reality combined, and we even have a wiki policy page that reiterates it.
We've already established that individual Earths in Marvel are Low 1-A, and Starlin's comics never, at any point, contradicted the bits of evidence that led us there. No particular reason to dismiss it for his writings in particular, especially when The End doesn't have anything that strictly cap its depiction of the universal structure at Tier 2.
The point is that Starlin consistently does his own thing without any regard for anybody else, and he has explicitly only defined the perceptions of ascended Thanos as reaching a Low 2-C scale, and that is it. If we are going to separate his cosmological structure, we should do so in a proper manner.

The point is that as far as I am aware Mark Gruenwald, the original creator of the Marvel Comics handbooks, also originally invented the term "omniverse" in a fanzine with the same name, and defined it as all of fiction and reality combined, and we even have a wiki policy page that reiterates it.
Why does that matter, exactly? Omniverse was really never used that way again in any comic (And since the definition comes from a handbook, technically it never was used in any comic whatsoever). At that point it's not "They used the term incorrectly" and more "This definition is outdated and ignored by later writers."

The point is that Starlin consistently does his own thing without any regard for anybody else, and he has explicitly only defined the perceptions of ascended Thanos as reaching a Low 2-C scale, and that is it. If we are going to separate his cosmological structure, we should do so in a proper manner.
No, he hasn't. Thanos just describes becoming one with the universe, and even then he states his awareness expanded into higher realms, "beyond both the material and the abstract." Ultimately Starlin having a tendency to ignore things established by other authors doesn't matter if he didn't contradict certain things in this one case. Why would we refuse to scale his cosmology to Low 1-A on the basis of "It contradicts Low 1-A" if it doesn't actually... contradict Low 1-A?

The issue is that Quasar didn’t even explain what transfinite numbers are NOR gave an example like the other two instances. So how do you know it has a different definition? Because you’re basing it on a single line “there are numbers greater than infinity” when that was also existent in Dr Strange’s scan. The word “transfinite” is also the same.

Seems more just like a bias. I mean you are welcome to post a scan that shows a higher mathematical cardinality. Iirc that was the only two instances that when Marvel ever explained and also gave an example of what transfinite/higher infinities and after that, they didn’t bother. And in modern time, Alephs became more of a species rather than an actual one from set theory.
He doesn't really need to explain what they are, because transfinite numbers are an actual mathematical concept in the same vein the quadratic formula is. If a verse mentions aleph numbers, we don't require it to give a painstaking explanation of what they are and what makes them Tier 1. We just apply the knowledge we, ourselves, have of them. Ultimately it boils down to "These scans give a wrong explanation. This one doesn't," and I already explained why we aren't going to take Kubik and Strange's explanation as a cosmological fact of the Marvel Universe, or anything like that.

And I also hope you're aware that "Aleph" is just a hebrew letter. There being aliens called "alephs" doesn't override the idea of aleph numbers existing in the verse.

Last edited:
He doesn't really need to explain what they are, because transfinite numbers are an actual mathematical concept in the same vein the quadratic formula is.
He does though since the other instances which even had Cantor’s mention and “transfinite” had it incorrect. So you literally have no evidence to support your claim other than “numbers greater than infinity” which was used in Dr Strange’s scan but had the description and examples wrong.

If a verse mentions aleph numbers, we don't require it to give a painstaking explanation of what they are and what makes them Tier 1. We just apply the knowledge we, ourselves, have of them. Ultimately it boils down to "These scans give a wrong explanation. This one doesn't," and I already explained why we aren't going to take Kubik and Strange's explanation as a cosmological fact of the Marvel Universe, or anything like that.
Yes. If a verse mentions aleph numbers we don’t require for a painstaking explanation. The problem with Marvel is that they explained Alephs and even sourced the creator, Georg Cantor, HOWEVER the definition and example they gave was merely “smaller infinity, odd and even, are mere subsets of a larger infinity, whole”. If they didn’t gave their own inept definition, then we wouldn’t need one. The problem is they had the definition to be incorrect.

"These scans give a wrong explanation. This one doesn't,"

Problem is, your Quasar scan one doesn’t give an explanation nor example. It just had “transfinite” and “numbers greater than infinity” which I’ve reiterated, is existent in Dr Strange’s scan. Not only is it existent, they also gave an example. Two instances which has more context(with examples and background description) about the definition of transfinite > A single instance which has less context.

If there’s another scan which ACTUALLY provides the correct background and example, overwriting the incorrect ones, you are welcome to provide the said scan which indicates a higher cardinality. Like if it exists, for example in other verses like Rudy Rucker’s, Ian Stewart’s, Toh Enjoe’s and so on, works; it’d be easy to prove.

The problem with Marvel is that they explained Alephs and even sourced the creator, Georg Cantor, HOWEVER the definition and example they gave was merely “smaller infinity, odd and even, are mere subsets of a larger infinity, whole”. If they didn’t gave their own inept definition, then we wouldn’t need one. The problem is they had the definition to be incorrect.
And I already said why we are not really taking these explanations to be information on how infinities work in Marvel. I don't care for repeating myself, so, read up.

How much we can overwrite what was said in work because it was "wrong" in the explanation in regards to what would be mathematically/scientifically right isn't always that consistent here from what I remember, I don't even think we have rulings in regards to that.

Because take the fact that the explanation for how infinities can be higher than others is wrong, the effectiveness that there are higher infinities and those in the higher scale are infinitely stronger than those in the scale below, is something that is effectively stated there even if the writer couldn't get the math right. I particularly don't have a problem with using that stuff considering that the intention of "he wanted to say that those infinities are infinitely larger" was very clear. Because in practice they are clearly infinitely stronger.

How much we can overwrite what was said in work because it was "wrong" in the explanation in regards to what would be mathematically/scientifically right isn't always that consistent here from what I remember, I don't even think we have rulings in regards to that.

Because take the fact that the explanation for how infinities can be higher than others is wrong, the effectiveness that there are higher infinities and those in the higher scale are infinitely stronger than those in the scale below, is something that is effectively stated there even if the writer couldn't get the math right. I particularly don't have a problem with using that stuff considering that the intention of "he wanted to say that those infinities are infinitely larger" was very clear. Because in practice they are clearly infinitely stronger.
I generally agree with that, yeah. Penalizing the verse for what was by no means intentional and instead a simple mistake makes no real sense. Take this infamous panel here as an example. The conclusion that we draw from it isn't "DC operates by different laws of mathematics than real life, and 320 * 10 is 32000 in it, not 3200," it's "The authors made a mistake and we are not going to make a big deal out of it."

Especially given that, taking those scans at face value, we'd be forced to say that uncountable infinity doesn't exist in Marvel, which obviously leads to a plethora of issues.

And I already said why we are not really taking these explanations to be information on how infinities work in Marvel. I don't care for repeating myself, so, read up.
In your previous thread, you didn’t really specify why it wouldn’t be taken into consideration. Just left out at with ‘obvious reasons’. So do point these “reasons”.

Because if it were simply the gap not being big enough, what’s stopping the levels of difference being simply Marvel’s own perception of higher mathematical infinity which is lesser than what it is.

You are trying to have an axiom from set theory, which is by itself its own internal universe. So it’s only natural that if you want to have it in the verse. It needs to be correctly described.

Since your only ‘supporting’ statement is simply a lesser context scan than the other two scans saying the same and with more info. It’s not really solid as you think it is.

Especially given that, taking those scans at face value, we'd be forced to say that uncountable infinity doesn't exist in Marvel, which obviously leads to a plethora of issues.
For the scan you provided in DC, did it happened twice by two different authors and is it a significant thing in explaining their cosmology? Because in Marvel it is. What’s stopping Marvel from having their own version of “uncountable infinity” which is a smaller and weaker version than itself. Since even the infinite levels of infinity by Kubik, can be contained within ℕ₀. Refer to what I said about the union of countably many sets of a countable infinite set.

Other verses needs proof and evidence for mathematical structure(s) to exist in their verse. Why does Marvel, who have it mathematically incorrect, gets an exception other than some bias or personal preference?

In your previous thread, you didn’t really specify why it wouldn’t be taken into consideration. Just left out at with ‘obvious reasons’. So do point these “reasons”.
The obvious reason, in this case, is that the existence of uncountable infinity is required to be assumed for any rating above Tier 3 to work. Arguably, its existence is required for even things as basic as, say, the real number line, as well. It'd be extremely silly to say that the continuum in Marvel is a countable set, for instance, and doing so just causes the verse's ratings to entirely break down.

If we take Kubik and Strange's explanations at face value, we are also forced to say that, in Marvel, a countable amount of 0-D points is enough to form a line, or a plane, or a cube. I don't know about you, but all of Marvel being downgraded to 11-C (Or saying that higher dimensions in Marvel are really just 0-D spaces) isn't exactly something I'd say is tenable.

For the scan you provided in DC, did it happened twice by two different authors and is it a significant thing in explaining their cosmology? Because in Marvel it is. What’s stopping Marvel from having their own version of “uncountable infinity” which is a smaller and weaker version than itself. Since even the infinite levels of infinity by Kubik, can be contained within ℕ₀. Refer to what I said about the union of countably many sets of a countable infinite set.
I am well aware that a union of countably-many countable sets is always countable, yes, and it is for this very reason that I disregard Kubik's explanation, so I am not sure how bringing that up helps your point. As for the other point: Whether it is or isn't is immaterial, because the core point is that we are not going to frame mistakes on the author's part as cosmological facts of the verse, especially given that the specifics of the explanation aren't even the central point of the scans you are thinking of; the idea that some infinities are greater than others is.

Last edited:
I suppose that this seems reasonable based on what was accepted previously.

@DontTalkDT @Qawsedf234 @Elizhaa @Agnaa @Everything12 @Planck69 @PrinceofPein @Ovy7 @TheUnshakableOne @Rakih_Elyan @IdiosyncraticLawyer @Elizio33

Do the tiering rationales make sense here?

The knowledgeable non-staff members that I summoned can only make a single post here so make it count please.
After looking over everything, I agree. It all seems to make sense, and I don't have anything I want to say about it.

However, I do have something else I want to comment on. Did a bureaucrat give Kerwin0831 indefinite posting rights? If not, per this thread's strictness, their argument with Ultima should be shut down. I don't believe we need Ultima to explain why we're disregarding blatantly wrong explanations of set theory to someone who isn't even authorized to post here.

The obvious reason, in this case, is that the existence of uncountable infinity is required to be assumed for any rating above Tier 3 to work.
So ℕ₁ needs to exist for any rating above Tier 3 to work? Pretty sure that most tier 2 even 1-A verses doesn’t have an Aleph-number existing in their verse. What they have rather is qualitative superiority.
a countable amount of 0-D points is enough to form a line
Pretty sure that even two sets of a 0-D point is enough to create a line. And if you’re getting it from here. Not all verses needs to have a mathematical perspective of higher dimensions to reach higher dimensional rating.

All of Marvel being downgraded to 11-C (Or saying that higher dimensions in Marvel are really just 0-D spaces)
Huh? What are you going about? They are still higher dimensional spaces. It’d be just Marvel just doesn’t have the correct definition of aleph, instead its own weaker interpretation, which happens often in fiction. Pretty sure that other verses in Tier 1 doesn’t have alephs/beths but they still comfortably there. So that doesn’t really help you. Their own conception of infinities is enough. Most of the time in this wiki, it’s simply r > f or dimensional difference.

Also it’s not just Kubik’s explanation but also Dr Strange, two different authors in two different times had it both incorrect while providing more context and background info.
specifics of the explanation aren't even the central point of the scans you are thinking of; the idea that some infinities are greater than others is.
Yes, some infinities are greater than others. Like I said earlier, Marvel would’ve had it if they left it like that but they literally added their own description of it. You didn’t really provide any additional scan how Quasar’s example(Quasar never provided any) of higher infinities, is any different than the one who both used the same phrase, providing more info.

Also you’ve yet to answer this one;
“Other verses needs proof and evidence for mathematical structure(s) to exist in their verse. Why does Marvel, who have it mathematically incorrect, gets an exception other than some bias or personal preference?”

So ℕ₁ needs to exist for any rating above Tier 3 to work?
Insofar as achieving that through higher-dimensional spaces go, yes. To quote our FAQ page:

The relationship between the spatial dimensions of a universe and the additional temporal dimension(s) may be visualized as something akin to the frames of a movie placed side-by-side. Basically, the time-like direction may be thought of as a line comprised of uncountably infinite points, each of which is a static "snapshot" of the whole universe at any given moment, with the set of all such events comprising the totality of spacetime.

This structure can then be generalized to any amounts of dimensions, and is also the reason destroying a spacetime continuum is a greater feat than destroying only the contents of the physical universe (Low 2-C, rather than 3-A or High 3-A). So, for example, a spacetime continuum comprising two temporal dimensions (Instead of just one) would have an additional time direction whose "snapshots" correspond to the whole of a 4-dimensional spacetime, and so on and so forth.

A dimensional difference is an uncountably infinite difference.

Pretty sure that even two sets of a 0-D point is enough to create a line. And if you’re getting it from here. Not all verses needs to have a mathematical perspective of higher dimensions to reach higher dimensional rating.
It isn't enough, no. You need the union of uncountably infinite points to form a line or a line segment. Likewise you need the union of uncountably infinite lines to form a square, and uncountably infinite squares to form a cube... If you say uncountable infinity simply doesn't exist in a verse, that breaks down.

You're right that a verse doesn't need to have a mathematical perspective of higher dimensions to reach Tier 2/1/0, but reaching those tiers through actual higher dimensions and not esoteric interpretations of higher dimensions does require a couple baseline assumptions to hold.

Huh? What are you going about? They are still higher dimensional spaces. It’d be just Marvel just doesn’t have the correct definition of aleph, instead its own weaker interpretation, which happens often in fiction. Pretty sure that other verses in Tier 1 doesn’t have alephs/beths but they still comfortably there. So that doesn’t really help you. Their own conception of infinities is enough. Most of the time in this wiki, it’s simply r > f or dimensional difference.
A reality-fiction interaction is not the only way to reach Tier 2/1/0, so, mentioning it does nothing to assist your point, and as I've said, a dimensional difference and an uncountably infinite difference are the same thing. The other stuff I already explained up there.

Yes, some infinities are greater than others. Like I said earlier, Marvel would’ve had it if they left it like that but they literally added their own description of it. You didn’t really provide any additional scan how Quasar’s example(Quasar never provided any) of higher infinities, is any different than the one who both used the same phrase, providing more info.
I already explained why an author getting a science thing wrong isn't going to be taken as a fact of the cosmology, so, at this point you're repeating yourself.

Also you’ve yet to answer this one;
“Other verses needs proof and evidence for mathematical structure(s) to exist in their verse. Why does Marvel, who have it mathematically incorrect, gets an exception other than some bias or personal preference?”
Explaining why the authors getting it wrong in these two scans doesn't mean anything is something I dedicated the rest of these posts to, so, I don't believe I need to respond to this any more than I already have.

Mathematical structures are also required to exist in some way, yeah, but this doesn't terribly matter here. The Galactus Seed is already described as containing more power than mathematics can express, so, whether an aleph-sized structure physically exists or not is irrelevant, since it would be too vast to be described by any aleph anyway. That, and the fact that the Superflow is a platonic realm containing all mathematics makes the concern null and void.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back