• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rest in Peace, Akira Toriyama

I've never watched a single episode of Dragon Ball in my life but the popularity and success of Dragon Ball is so good, that it's impossible to grow up not knowing about it. I still have come to appreciate it in passing, even taking a like to some characters as well, which just goes to show how popular and influential the franchise is. Goku is probably one of the most famous characters of all time, the legendary "It's over 9000!" line is one of the OG and well know memes ever made, and I bet thousands of people have done a Kamehameha (Or at least attempted to, I hope).

R.I.P 😖

Not to be cruel, but hasn't Toriyama died like a week ago?
Yes, but public announcement wasn't released till a day ago; thought it was March 7th evening here in the U.S.

There was a similar incident when Ronnie Edwards passed away on July 4 2018, but the public announcement wasn't until the 25th of the same month. Sometimes, people need permission from the rest of the family and/or rest of the team before they officially are welcome to announce stuff like that.

Yes, but public announcement wasn't released till a day ago; thought it was March 7th evening here in the U.S.

There was a similar incident when Ronnie Edwards passed away on July 4 2018, but the public announcement wasn't until the 25th of the same month. Sometimes, people need permission from the rest of the family and/or rest of the team before they officially are welcome to announce stuff like that.
Very sad to be the last to know, but waking up to this news is even worse, i think the future of Dragon Ball is uncertain with Akira's death.

Toriyama did still have a handful of good friends especially Toshio Furukawa, so not all hope is lost. But there will understandably be a delay out of respect and memory for him.

Also, let it be reminded that an artist's work becomes much more valuable when the artist in question has passed on. So it may lead to having more people who support the work, and/or those who already supported it support it even more.

Akira Toriyama was a big inspiration to many, especially in his industry; his work helped popularize things like reading manga and watching anime, unlike in the past, when they were more niche and had more negative connotations. I respect his dedication to his work, as he has been working on series like Dragon Ball for decades.

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama.

I have yet to personally check out the stories that Mr. Toriyama is known for, but I already know about the major cultural impact that they have made, so likewise, I consider the author's death an event of major interest anyway and I will tell condolences: I wish Akira Toriyama a good ultimate rest, and I hope that his family and friends heal well from this event. 🌸

On a minor note, taking a look at the 1st page. I can safely say this is the memorial thread that has gotten the most kudos; not much of a surprise. Surpassing even the Stan Lee memorial.

Sounds like a good time for me to say... Keep it up! Toriyama truly deserves a thread like this to break records.

On a minor note, taking a look at the 1st page. I can safely say this is the memorial thread that has gotten the most kudos; not much of a surprise. Surpassing even the Stan Lee memorial.

Sounds like a good time for me to say... Keep it up! Toriyama truly deserves a thread like this to break records.
Yes. Strongly agreed.

I still cannot properly process that Toriyama sensei, who brought so much light into this world with so much enthusiasm, is truly gone, just like that, long before it should have happened. 😔

Let us try to treasure and take good care of all of the creators who bring light and positive values into this world and who are still with us. 🙏❤️

Last edited:
I honestly wanna say thank you to Antvasima, DarkDragonMedeus, AKM sama and many mods like them for taking good care of Dragon Ball on this wiki. I myself was not into DB as much as i used to but today i feel these childhood emotions within me bubbling out and screaming to praise DB as a legendary series it was that changed me and millions around the world for better.
Don’t forget to thank the supporters who worked their asses off for the sake of Dragon Ball.

bf831747ba50b8044ad4cd977e67c1f0.jpg

Despite my well-known distaste for DB, Toriyama himself was a good guy who inspired a lot of people with maybe the most popular anime/manga out there.

Some cry, some are indifferent, and some twisted ***** are happy, wherever you stand, just be respectful about it. Points for guessing which of the three I stand on

I don't have a personal connection to Toriyama or any of his creations but I still appreciate them and the influence he created. Without him, my favorite mangas, series, games, etc wouldn't be the same. He also created ideas and inspired the creation of ideas without him. Someone so great and influential that he changes even the people who don't play or watch his creations indirectly is a legend. I hope that he rests in peace and that his family and friends manage to continue living a great life despite them losing a family member, a beloved friend. I also hope that he's remembered for all of eternity. He deserves it, he influenced the world with his art.

Back