• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removing time abilities for some characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is mainly seen in video games, such as the recent Spider-Ma release by Insomniac Games, the Infamous series, even in Red Dead Redemption and other Rockstar Games titles.

Characters often have the ability to "slow down time", despite not actually having any temporal abilities, thus making such capabilities far outside their moveset.

I think a rule should be made so that perception enhancing techniques or abilities are not instantly branded as any type of time manipulation, just because the game descriptions say time is involved in some manner. Such moves should obviously make sense within the context of the character's abilities.

Absolutely.

This at best can be considering having faster reaction speeds than their regular speed. So this makes sense to me.

I agree, but with, and only with, context, those abilities can be explained via time shenanigans.

I wholeheartedly concur with this.

That justification for SM having time slow comes from a source that we can't really use since it's a review video and not lore or reliable WoG. Or both which is better.

But Cole's future self would've developed time manipulation anyway and Delsin legit has time powers :^)

In all seriousness, I agree. Iirc, I think DMUA made a thread covering the same topic, we just never got around to making the edits

I agree, though I thought the infamous guys already removed it from those. It's more a reaction speed amp, usually.

Well we did mark it down as speed amping in the inFamous profiles, but I think we only got to Raiden's profile, and the Fallout profiles before we got sidetracked with other stuff

I agree as well.

"Time slowing down" is either a change in perception for the character or a game mechanic, unless it is mentioned in like the plot as an ability said character has.

I agree with this.

Unless the game's description explicitly mentions this to slow down time itself, like in Assassin's Creed and also fits with the lore itself (And it fits since the Isu themselves could alter time but chose not to due to the dangers associated with it), we can accept it as Perception Manipulation.

I don't exactly remember the term time being mentioned in any of Rockstar Games' titles that make use of these abilities. At all.

Meaning this'll make fights more fun. OwO

KLOL506 said:
I don't exactly remember the term time being mentioned in any of Rockstar Games' titles that make use of these abilities. At all.

Meaning this'll make fights more fun. OwO
" Dead Eye Targeting is a game mechanic in Red Dead Revolver, Red Dead Redemptio, Red Dead Redemption II and Red Dead Online that slows down time to allow the player to get more accurate shots on enemies. After marking targets, normal time resumes and a flurry of bullets is released in quick succession. "

"Michael's Special Ability is called "Area Kill." While active, Michael enters a bullet-time-like effect, allowing him to slow time and gain the advantage in shootouts"

Also, Spidey's lifting stats need to be downgraded to Class 10, not Class 25. His bio says he's capable of lifting up to 10 tons, which is less than 10^4 kg.

Strange, in the game Spidey himself says he stopped a train, like in the movies.

Also, I'm pretty sure we didn't accept Michael's abilities as time-slow even when his profile was created.

Then again GTA 5 does mention the abilities being canon, as Lamar quips at Franklin's abilities being comparable to Chop trying to read a book.

Yeah, because Michael was an ordinary human which made time abilities seem very unlikely in the scope of the entire series. Its more believable when the characters in question are superhuman to begin with.

Good point.

Anyway, I believe Spider-Man's current lifting feat is legit due to the reasons I mentioned.

It should be scalable to Raimi Spidey's train-pulling feat, since Insomniac Spidey does it in the exact same method.

In the game, he doesn't stop it because the walls are too weak, but he says he did it long before the beginning of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RQlLgWozbA

With that, Spider-Man couldn't stop the train with physical force alone, and needed help from multiple webs over a great distance. In terms of lifting strength, unless he lifted a train car, it shouldn't be used. Even then, one train car is beyond his stated 10 ton maximum.

There could possibly be an additional lifting strength statistic for his webs, if someone can calculate its tensile strength.

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/SpiderMan.shtml

He is capable of stopping massive delivery trucks filled with oil barrels dead in his tracks. What would that yield?

And Spidey can push back Rhino who can casually flip cargo containers.

uh

yeah I'm pretty certain we don't consider the ten ton maximum thing to be legit considering even the strongest of Marvel people are rated at like 1000 tons

I think we can find an appropriate model for the truck, and as far as oil barrels go, fully-loaded oil barrels containing crude oil can weigh in at over 275 lbs.

But yeah we can't go with the bios. Spidey displays more impressive feats in the game that contradicts it.

Until somebody can calculate the feats, its the most reliable and accurate option.

Stopping a train is done with webs, not his own strength alone. Lifting cars is a nice supporting feat, but does no justice in supporting his 10 ton statement in his bio. Pushing back Rhino who can lift cargo containers....I can push a body builder back, but you definitely won't see me squatting 600 pounds as a result.

>Push a bodybuilder back

WUT.

A skinny guy with no training wouldn't last five minutes against a body builder who can push heavy weights.

I thought this thread was about distinguishing time deceleration with game mechanics/fast reaction time. Why is this suddenly becoming a lifting strength argument? Stay on topic please.

In that case, I believe this thread is mostly finished, as there aren't a lot of characters left to edit. Let's make a new thread about Spidey's lifting strength feat.

Okay. Tell me here when you are done.

Remember to add it as a footnote.

NVM, figured it out. I made a notes section in case we find anything new for it.

I made a few adjustments.

So, are the rest of you satisfied with this solution, and if so, should we close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back