• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Red Dead Redemption: Dead-Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is Low-Mid regen.
Meant to say he isn't regenerating from major organ damage. Was driving so didn't have the time to edit my comment.
So is Low-Mid regen.

You are contradicting yourself there wtf. You say that Arthur doesn't have Low-Mid regen because he just regens from major organs damage, but I showed you that the regens at this level are Low-Mid.
Arthur never regenerates from severe organ damage.

Yeah this thread is done. The staff and the vast majority have disagreed and grace has been passed.

This can be closed, its going in circles and kinda getting derailed.
I don't think it should be closed just yet, I think there should be a bit of a discussion on Perception manipulation over time manipulation

Has the ability ever been described as perception manipulation?
Before the upgrades it was. My issue is seeing "Time Slowing Down" in the tutorial/tooltip would and should be more reasonably assumed to be "Time Slows down for Arthur" not the act of literally slowing down time itself.

Before the upgrades it was. My issue is seeing "Time Slowing Down" in the tutorial/tooltip would and should be more reasonably assumed to be "Time Slows down for Arthur" not the act of literally slowing down time itself.
Guidebook states that time itself is actually slowing down various times. Might not be fitting but ultimately that's what stated. You can argue it doesn't make sense given the setting but then half of the shit within Red Dead wouldn't make sense going by that logic.

Guidebook states that time itself is actually slowing down various times. Might not be fitting but ultimately that's what stated. You can argue it doesn't make sense given the setting but then half of the shit within Red Dead wouldn't make sense going by that logic.
It's less about the setting since, as I know there's a literal mission with an actual time traveler, so I'm willing to believe that shit gets wacky but in most other instances something like this, even from a guide book I feel would need a bit more supporting evidence and clarification from like direct sources within the game.

It's less about the setting since, as I know there's a literal mission with an actual time traveler, so I'm willing to believe that shit gets wacky but in most other instances something like this, even from a guide book I feel would need a bit more supporting evidence and clarification from like direct sources within the game.
It's also stated within the game itself which is the main thing. The Guidebook just gives further clarification to what Dead-Eye actually does lol

I don't think it should be closed just yet, I think there should be a bit of a discussion on Perception manipulation over time manipulation
It was accepted by most staff to be time manipulation in the previous thread after a very long 5 page discussion. There is not one piece of evidence in any material that describes it as perception manipulation. Repeatadly throughout the guidebook it states the flow of time is being manipulated, which is no where near out of the norm for the verse. Perception manipulation is pure headcanon and I never knew why it was a point in the first place

It's also stated within the game itself which is the main thing. The Guidebook just gives further clarification to what Dead-Eye actually does lol
Oh, I know, I just meant like literally anything from a character or something else. I guess it's not that big of an issue, but I would be thoroughly convinced if there was even an offhand joking comment from Arthur or an enemy was like "Woah... how'd things get so slow? Am I drunk?"

No, not in game, not in any guidebooks, not by rockstar, and every VA all say its time hax (I know their opinion doesnt matter, but it is worth noting)
Then this discussion is useless, if the ability has only ever been described as time manip. with literally no other source saying otherwise just means that even if you don't believe in it you'd have no proof to prove your point, this thread means nothing.

Then this discussion is useless, if the ability has only ever been described as time manip. with literally no other source saying otherwise just means that even if you don't believe in it you'd have no proof to prove your point, this thread means nothing.
Yeah it is useless. The original premise of the thread has been rejected btw, the time manip talk just started out of no where and is derailing anyway

No idea why the thread is still open tbh

The problem is that this ability is never referenced lorewise. It is never mentioned in characters dialogues and in a description of the lore, it is never shown in a cutscene, it is just used in gameplay phases. The main characters manipulate time but no characters in the games mention this, not even the main ones involved.

It's super blatant that Dead Eye is a gameplay mechanic, but some people here seem to be blind and others seem to like to wank their favorite characters.

I know nothing about RDR and I'm not going to engage with the discussion about the ability itself at hand, but I just want to say:
The problem is that this ability is never referenced lorewise. It is never mentioned in characters dialogues and in a description of the lore, it is never shown in a cutscene, it is just used in gameplay phases. The main characters manipulate time but no characters in the games mention this, not even the main ones involved.
This argument is terrible and is not a good reason to deny adding an ability to a profile. Something doesn't need to be mentioned in dialogue or whatever for it to be a part of a character's overall set of abilities; if we see them do it, then they can do it, and so long as nothing majorly contradicts it or the material states otherwise, then we have no reason to believe that the characters in question can't do the ability or that the ability shouldn't be added to their profile in some manner.

If we wanted to run with this argument of "we shouldn't add anything that isn't stated within the lore or by characters", then a lot of game verses would lose a pretty large amount of their abilities simply because we don't have a statement of them or anyone else being able to do them within a cutscene. It's an extremely bad practice and also just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

No.

The usage of other supernatural things present throughout the narrative of the game to say that a mechanic which is never brought up or mentioned throughout this same narrative to me isn't proper support for the existence of Dead Eye as anything more than an in-game mechanic. To call it an argument of incredulity misses a big point and that is fact that Red Dead does take care to point out explicit these abnormal/supernatural aspects of its world. Dead Eye being the sole thing it chooses to ignores in this regard, should help illustrate it squarely as a game mechanic. Nor do I consider the databook telling the player how the mechanic of dead eye functions as sufficient proof it is anything more than a gameplay mechanic either. These are official statements sure, but these statements are not for narrative reasons but gameplay ones.

Guidebooks for games aren't the same as those for books/movies/manga. They exist to both teach of the greater world but also the mechanical workings of a video game. I consider us being far too generous to say that this is a real thing in the verse.

If we wanted to run with this argument of "we shouldn't add anything that isn't stated within the lore or by characters", then a lot of game verses would lose a pretty large amount of their abilities simply because we don't have a statement of them or anyone else being able to do them within a cutscene. It's an extremely bad practice and also just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Some abilities are not mentioned or shown in cutscenes and dialogue but they still have lore descriptions.
Almost all abilities in Fromsoftware games aren't mentioned in dialogues or don't make an appearance in cutscenes, but I consider them canon because they have a lore descriptions.

But the Dead Eye doesn't even have that.

The usage of other supernatural things present throughout the narrative of the game to say that a mechanic which is never brought up or mentioned throughout this same narrative to me isn't proper support for the existence of Dead Eye as anything more than an in-game mechanic
This is missing the point of that comparison. It was made to show that just because the verse is grounded to some extent in reality, be it its atmosphere, its storyline, or anything else important to that context. It doesn't mean the verse is lacking in supernatural qualities as one of the main arguments made by the OP is that since the verse is grounded to this extent, it doesn't make sense for these characters to have supernatural abilities. It's evidence of the supernatural and a direct counter to the OP's contention, nothing else.

To call it an argument of incredulity misses a big point and that is fact that Red Dead does take care to point out explicit these abnormal/supernatural aspects of its world. Dead Eye being the sole thing it chooses to ignores in this regard, should help illustrate it squarely as a game mechanic
Not inherently so. It's a conclusion that's derived from assuming the lack of statement in regards to Dead Eye equates to it being game mechanics because other supernatural elements are explicitly or implicitly mentioned. It would be improper to assume that the lack of statement deduces the conclusion of it being game mechanics when the premises don't deductively follow. It can be true that even if this statement wasn't made, the ability can still be canonical. Because of this, we must derive conclusion from induction, and so I ask, why exactly would the assumptions you assert have more validity to them compared to the ones made by us?

Nor do I consider the databook telling the player how the mechanic of dead eye functions as sufficient proof it is anything more than a gameplay mechanic either. These are official statements sure, but these statements are not for narrative reasons but gameplay ones.
Well, on its own I would agree that just the databook statement alone isn't enough for it to be considered as non-game mechanics. That's why we're making a Conductive argument, not a Deductive one. It's an argument that each separately supports the conclusion, and becomes more inductively stronger when collectively evaluated. That's why attacking each point separately misses the argument's intention. It's your burden to explain why the premises we've constructed are improper or don't lead to the probability of the conclusion we've reached being true. I don't believe you have sufficed this burden yet.

Guidebooks for games aren't the same as those for books/movies/manga. They exist to both teach of the greater world but also the mechanical workings of a video game. I consider us being far too generous to say that this is a real thing in the verse.
If you concede that it can do both, why exactly can't it be the same case here? If you agree that guidebooks are capable of teaching canonical aspects about the verse, while also providing explanations for gameplay. It can be the case that Dead Eye is an actual ability inverse, and the guidebook is implicitly saying it is by mentioning it while also explaining how the ability works.

I understand you consider such interpretations too generous, but that doesn't really explain your reasoning on why you believe it's too generous. It's just asserting your opinion, unsubstantiated, and that's it.

Almost all abilities in Fromsoftware games aren't mentioned in dialogues or don't make an appearance in cutscenes, but I consider them canon because they have a lore descriptions.

But the Dead Eye doesn't even have that.
But therein lies the issue; you are saying that because Dead Eye does not have an explanation within RDR, whether it be from a cutscene, dialogue, or a description in some sort of encyclopedia or similar avenue of exposition, it can only be relegated to being a Game Mechanic. This is simply not true; you do not need an ability to be explicitly described or mentioned within a game's text to conclude that the abilities shown off by the characters are actual, canonical abilities that they can perform.

Like I have stated above; if the characters are shown to do it, and there is nothing within the primary or secondary material that directly dismantles this notion of an ability being performed by a character, then you cannot relegate it to being a Game Mechanic. And frankly, the supporters in favor of keeping Dead Eye a canonical ability have provided a much more logical and evidential explanation than your own explanation, which is formed on incredulity and attempting to stretch the application and meaning of Game Mechanics we have currently on the site.

But therein lies the issue; you are saying that because Dead Eye does not have an explanation within RDR, whether it be from a cutscene, dialogue, or a description in some sort of encyclopedia or similar avenue of exposition, it can only be relegated to being a Game Mechanic. This is simply not true; you do not need an ability to be explicitly described or mentioned within a game's text to conclude that the abilities shown off by the characters are actual, canonical abilities that they can perform.
and attempting to stretch the application and meaning of Game Mechanics we have currently on the site.
Unfortunately for me it's true, "unfortunately" because I don't agree at all with how the wiki treats game mechanics and game abilities in general.
I think this site is too generous with that.

Last edited:
If you have a problem with the way Game Mechanics are treated on the site right now, then you're more than welcome to make a thread to try and change it

But with the current standards, you have no leg to stand on in regards to this CRT

Unfortunately, for me, it's true, "unfortunately" because I don't agree at all with how the wiki treats game mechanics and game abilities in general.
I think this site is too generous with that.
I think it would be a better use of your time if you created a separate CRT that deals with Game Mechanics in general instead of focusing on one particular issue you have. As if that's accepted, and the case of Dead Eye is accepted to be Game Mechanics there, we wouldn't require this back and forth that I don't think is going to convince anybody of their position being wrong.

Isn't this entire CRT about making Dead Eye be accepted as Game Mechanics? Especially since we don't have explicit rules on what makes something a Game Mechanic, we just have the standard that Game Mechanics aren't supposed to be used for tiering or abilities.

It is, but we're saying that since we have this impasse in interpretation, It would be a better use of the OP's time if he created a separate thread that deals with Game Mechanics in general, as in providing a better explanation of what they're, what should be considered as or as not etc. And if that thread is accepted, and the new rules make it so Dead Eye is without question affected, we can just skip this dialogue and remove the ability outright.

If you have a problem with the way Game Mechanics are treated on the site right now, then you're more than welcome to make a thread to try and change it

But with the current standards, you have no leg to stand on in regards to this CRT
I think it would be a better use of your time if you created a separate CRT that deals with Game Mechanics in general instead of focusing on one particular issue you have. As if that's accepted, and the case of Dead Eye is accepted to be Game Mechanics there, we wouldn't require this back and forth that I don't think is going to convince anybody of their position being wrong.
I would do that.

Should these kinds of revisions be done in staff discussions or in content revision?

I would like to give a warning in the case a staff-only thread is made for this: If you use the same arguments like in this thread then I don't think there will be a chance of getting your proposals accepted, as majority of staff here have already disagreed with your arguments and I suspect they will not agree with them in the Staff Thread either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back