• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Tier Rating-Specific Categories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think that there seems to be a point in keeping both the old and new tier categories. It would also require far more long-term work to ensure that both, for example, "Tier 9" and "Tier 9-B" categories are always added to the relevant pages.
If you want we can remove that
What do you mean with "template"?
It's akin to how we can auto-insert the new tables onto files instead of the Tab2, a Template is a code which is common across multiple pages, so it can be reduced to a Variable enclosed in {{these types of brackets}}

So basically stuff like {{Quote}}, cascading tabbers, and as another example, if you were to go on an incarnation of Spider-Man on VSBW, the {{Spider-Man}} code at the very top
I did not think that this is what we have been discussing here.
Proposal is instead of default bolding our tiers, like '''9-B''', '''8-C''', we just change the profile format to use {{9-B}}, {{8-C}} and other stuff, these will be templates, and the wiki itself will automatically apply the relevant categories.

This is easily enforcable by wikibots, as all we have to do, is limit the bot to relevant categories (Characters, Civilization, Weapons and Vehicles), to substitute every instance of a bolded numeric tier rating, with its respective template, which if you'd note, is only ever done in the tiering section of these pages, and nowhere else.

Plus side of this too is that tiering, one of the crucial categories in our profilemaking standards, is automatically added everytime a file will be made, essentially making sure no lonely pages may exist at the very least.

So yeah we're getting 30,000 pages accounted for with a very negligible adjustment to how we list stuff.
I also do not notice what you wish to illustrate with your linked example.
If you are to see the source code of the illustrated example, you'd notice the above stated explanation in action.

Hmm. This is very different from what I thought was suggested here, but I suppose that it makes sense, if the associated tier categories are automatically added with the templates, as you say. I am just concerned about that our members will turn confused and usually use the old page formats, which will lead to even more work for myself.

Hmm. This is very different from what I thought was suggested here, but I suppose that it makes sense, if the associated tier categories are automatically added with the templates, as you say. I am just concerned about that our members will turn confused and usually use the old page formats, which will lead to even more work for myself.
We can perhaps make an announcement regarding this, and maybe enforce it via bots for a few weeks, since again, they can VERY easily detect it.

Okay, and just to make certain, you are sure that "Tier 8-C", "Tier High 8-C", etcetera categories are automatically added to each page with the relevant templates?

Also, what will happen if our visitors click on the template links? Will they be shown the templates themselves, and if so, what will these look like?

Okay, and just to make certain, you are sure that "Tier 8-C", "Tier High 8-C", etcetera categories are automatically added to each page with the relevant templates?
Yes
Also, what will happen if our visitors click on the template links?
Oh templates don't leave behind a link, unless you want there to be.
Will they be shown the templates themselves, and if so, what will these look like?
Templates are only accessible if you access the url www.vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Template:[Template Name Here], and will not show up in standard searches.

Here is the template we currently use for the Darkseid Tab2 equivalent, which you can see, how that looks

These templates will actually have to be locked from editing upon creation, as vandalizing them could seriously harm the wiki. That's why we'll make the templates BEFORE applying them, and have you lock them, so mass-vandalism will never occur

Okay. That sounds good to me. Thank you to you and Amelia for coming up with such a clever solution.

The templates are transferred over and can be found on my contribs. The overall process may take a bit longer than initially assumed since my area is currently having a snowstorm that's affecting internet speed. I'll start working on a settings profile, it will take a tad longer than expected due to some unexpected snags, but it's nothing too bad.

If Amelia knows a way to automate it with AWB competently then go ahead.
Btw I can do this for FC/OC or JBW if anyone there wants it.

Thank you. Is it fine to admin-lock all of the new templates now then? If so, I can ask our content managers to handle it.

Can some people out by compiling at least 1 page per tier? Especially for the more rare tiers like Low 4-C, High 5-A, High 6-B, ect. Gonna do some test runs to make sure everything's running correctly

What do you mean more specifically?
Just need to make a list for pages that fall into every tier (I.E., Daredevil for 9-A, Superman in 4-B) so I can test out the script in a smaller enviorement to check if there are any bugs. Also, I'd like to have pages with more complicated tiering like Scott Lang or Judge Dredd to make sure the script accounts for them

@Abstractions Thanks! I forgot to make the High 6-C template, so if you could lock that, I'd appreciate it.

I should be capable of doing it on FCOC myself, it seems pretty simple, I just have to make the templates and then run the script, yeah? It's just replacing '''9-B''' with {{9-B}}, etc

Just need to make a list for pages that fall into every tier (I.E., Daredevil for 9-A, Superman in 4-B) so I can test out the script in a smaller enviorement to check if there are any bugs. Also, I'd like to have pages with more complicated tiering like Scott Lang or Judge Dredd to make sure the script accounts for them

@Abstractions Thanks! I forgot to make the High 6-C template, so if you could lock that, I'd appreciate it.
Well, you can test your script for more obscure single pages and then revert the changes via their history sections if something goes wrong.

That is a very good point. I have systematically corrected that when I noticed it, but there are likely many pages that still use inaccurate formatting.

Looks like they're all admin locked. Shouldn't the "varies" tier need a template as well?

Just need to be added t this page so that I can start. It still has me added as Darkanine rather than Amelia, so I need someone to fix that rea quick.
Is it as simple as me just updating your old username to your new one in that page?

Also, please wait with starting the big project until I have given you content moderator rights, and Lucas has hopefully given you Bot rights, so there is no massive spam in our wiki's recent changes page.

Is it as simple as me just updating your old username to your new one in that page?

Also, please wait with starting the big project until I have given you content moderator rights, and Lucas has hopefully given you Bot rights, so there is no massive spam in our wiki's recent changes page.
Should be, ye.
Okie

Krukov had already edited the linked page. I gave you content moderator rights, and asked Lucas to give you Bot rights, though, but he has not replied yet.

Sorry for the late respond. Are the new tier categories already made? I can start going down the list, starting from tier 1 to tier 11.

Amelia has a special method for it that will be applied with the AutoWikiBrowser script. I think that she intend to handle it on her own, as the script is complicated to use properly.

I have given her content moderator rights to be able to handle this, but am still waiting for Lucas DeRuyter to give her Bot rights, so the recent changes page is not spammed for a few weeks.

He has not responded yet.

Last edited:
@Amelia_Lonelyheart

Lucas has given your account Bot rights now, so I think that you can initiate the project if you are certain that it will work properly.

A few small test runs are probably best first though.

Also, please do not delete the old tier categories en masse. It is better to remove them from one page at a time as you add the new versions, so the pages with currently inaccurate tier section formatting can easily be found afterwards, and corrected in this regard.

Oh, the old categories weren't planned to be deleted, I don't think there's any benefit to that. At worst I think they should be container categories, but I think having both isn't an issue.

Okay. The problem is that people would constantly continue to add them to pages even after they turn useless. Also, it is practical to use the procedure that I suggested earlier in order to keep track of the pages that, for example, use inaccurate formatting of the following types:

High '''8-C'''

'''6'''-C

And similar.

So they can be found and corrected afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back