• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Red Dead Redemption Speed Downgrade

Dalesean027

He/Him
VS Battles
Calculation Group
Silver Supporter

Summary​

I've decided to go ahead and make this myself after waiting and seeing it wasn't going to happen if I didn't do it but as the title suggest this is going to be a full downgrade of Red Dead's current transonic speed scaling which isn't based on any calculations at all.

Explanation​

Starting things out here I'll put it as blatantly as can be, every single one of the current speed ratings are based on either outright incorrect or completely faulty reasons which I'll explain here.

Benjamin Lazarus​

So currently Arthur Morgan is being scaled to Benjamin Lazarus with this being noted on his profile:

"Should easily be faster than Benjamin Lazarus, a magician who can catch real bullets with his teeth"

For one Arthur quite literally has no reason to scale to benjamin lazarus and is in shock by his ability to catch a bullet in his mouth, moreso also on this is the fact that this is still something that requires prep from Lazarus to do as if he's shot anywhere else he can't even react and actually takes a shot with the stage having to be closed. Lazarus is a minor character you don't even interact with outside of his shows , there's quite literally no way to say Arthur can just randomly scale for any reason.
Furthermore its debatable even if Lazarus actually caught a real bullet in his mouth anyways as this was a famous illusion for magic shows in this time. Anywho here are the relevant clips below

John Marston​

John Marston is currentled touted with apparently being able to outpace revolver rounds and I can say the clip speaks for itself. There's no realistic way that by the the time John moves that any of those shots wouldn't have already reached by the time it took him to move after about 4 or 5 shots had already been fired in succession the way they were. It's pretty evident to me that those were warnings shots and considering literally seconds later during this battle Micah is literally telling John to run away trying to convice him to flee by saying he's got men on the way and other things of the like. Clip of that below.

Other "Feats"​

Other than those two mains points of contention I've also seen a couple more feats brought up before that I want to address here on why they don't work as proper bullet dodge feats or wouldn't yield anything to substantiate the transonic ratings. So let's get into these below.

(08:25)
For the video above I've seen this brought up as evidence for transonic rating and from reviewing the footage from there and neither are actual bullet dodges, the first one the guy just missed because Arthur was already sprinting (Arthur doesn't even react to the round), the in the second clip watching frame by frame he is practically statued by the bullet and is only able to turn his upper body what looks like maybe 20~30 degrees which would yield lower results than what we see here already

Bambu has also expressed his disagreements with this here and here, it's flatout impossible for Arthur or John to do any legitimate bullet dodging outside of deadeye as they move too fast in game and they only have flinch animations in reaction to them to like duck thier heads or etc.

Last argument I've seen is regarding the clip below at 02:30

It was argued that Arthur like reacted to the bullets and dropped like before they could hit him and like it's not a valid feat at all, the first shots literally cover the entire distsnce before he can react and hit the walls around him instantly plus a bunch other people also laid onto the ground as well in reaction to this.

These guys were simplying spraying and praying so its not very good to treat regular people like they're gonna be hitting 1000% of their shots with superhuman accuracy anyways and people tend to forget this when engaging with fictional media.

Conclusion​

Feel like I've made my point clear so here's my proposal

Here's the blog and it has a deadeye perception feat and a bullet dodge, his speed would be rewritten as such

Peak Human combat speeds with Superhuman reactions and Subsonic perceptions via Deadeye

Even with deadeye being a time manip based ability now its speed should be fine to have listed via this in our rules

Abilities that accelerate a user's time to make them faster can be mentioned as a rating in the Speed section of the relevant profile, as these abilities increase a user's speed relative to everyone else. However, they should be mentioned separate to their non-amplified speed. For example: Normal Human, FTL via time acceleration.

Peak Human combat speeds with Superhuman reactions and Subsonic perceptions via Deadeye
Shouldn't you also specify that Deadeye is time manipulation in the speed section? The rules say this

For example: Normal Human, FTL via time acceleration.

Also, it should be superhuman combat or at least dodging speed based on your calc. If Deadeye is time manipulation, his movement and combat speed should be subsonic as well

Shouldn't you also specify that Deadeye is time manipulation in the speed section? The rules say this

Also, it should be superhuman combat or at least dodging speed based on your calc. If Deadeye is time manipulation, his movement and combat speed should be subsonic as well
That's reactions it wouldn't be combat speeds since that's kinda inherently against how deadeye functions, he isn't like launching punches in deadeye so not I don't think that should be worded like that, reactoons is fine as is.

Otherwise deadeye as an ability is already explained on the profile so that'd be redundant, specifying the speed is done via deadeye is enough especially considering the calc will still be put there with the justifications for it

Revisions have been applied and this can be closed

Back