• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Every single day, the Cecilus Corps whispers into my ear.

They tell me "Cecilus was confirmed as equal in skill to Reinhard", "Cecilus stands right before the Heavenly Sword", "Every single character claims Cecilus is on par with Reinhard".

I don't know how much longer I can cling to just two Q&As from 2018... I don't want the Ceci Agenda to defeat me, but....

Every single day, the Cecilus Corps whispers into my ear.

They tell me "Cecilus was confirmed as equal in skill to Reinhard", "Cecilus stands right before the Heavenly Sword", "Every single character claims Cecilus is on par with Reinhard".

I don't know how much longer I can cling to just two Q&As from 2018... I don't want the Ceci Agenda to defeat me, but....
:)

Me when I see discussions about Cecilus's tiering

shannon-sharpe-shay.gif

They tell me "Cecilus was confirmed as equal in skill to Reinhard",
That's one way of interpreting it, but with furthur context and knowing Tappei's writing style it is far more likely to be refering to the level of skill he displayed in arc 1.
"Cecilus stands right before the Heavenly Sword",
From Wrath if where he is far beyond where he is in the main story. Arc 8 makes it very clear he has a long way to go to get to the heavenly sword.
"Every single character claims Cecilus is on par with Reinhard".
From their perspective which also believes the same about Halibel.

The fight with Sphinx proves he's at best marginally stronger than Echidna. That's assuming Sphinx even reached her full power which seemed less and less likely as the phase went on.
Come on man, think about it for a second. I know you can do better than this.

That's one way of interpreting it, but with furthur context and knowing Tappei's writing style it is far more likely to be refering to the level of skill he displayed in arc 1.
Reinholdsback van Astrea. I don't agree with your take on it, since it's explicitly "If the Sword Saint could achieve that, there was no reason why an equally skilled wielder could not do the same."

But the way I choose to invalidate it is with the fact that Cecilus was explicitly stated to be an inferior swordsman in Ex4, and obviously it's ridiculous to claim Reinhard > Adult Ceci > Kid Ceci = Reinhard.
Vollachia’s strongest fighter, who had never known anything but victory, had tasted loss in his battle with the Sword Saint from the Kingdom of Lugunica. Such an experience would forge Cecilus Segmunt into a swordsman the equal of Reinhard van Astrea.

From Wrath if where he is far beyond where he is in the main story. Arc 8 makes it very clear he has a long way to go to get to the heavenly sword.
It's actually stated in Arc 8, in chapter 37 or 38. That Cecilus hit a ceiling right before the Heavenly Sword, and then infantilization caused it to become distant once again.

Based

The fight with Sphinx proves he's at best marginally stronger than Echidna. That's assuming Sphinx even reached her full power which seemed less and less likely as the phase went on.
She was unable to manifest Echidna's power until after partially absorbing the mana of the Crystal Palace, after which she said that even with her creators power, Cecilus and Halibel were impossible to defeat regardless of how many Sphinxes she makes.

Me when I see discussions about Cecilus's tiering
'Tis merely idle speculation! Nothing serious :3

I remember this guy with a Fate profile being loud about how Cecil is comparable to Reinhard when I was new here, reading anything related to RZ. I thought how silly it was and still do, but compared to then, it's not so silly anymore,at the very least.

Come on man, think about it for a second. I know you can do better than this.
nah you tweaking

1. Equal in skill to Reinhard
2. Fastest character
3. Had a match with Reinhard at the end of ex 4 where he made him realize he wasn't standing alone as the strongest (reinforced in wrath if when Reinhard says his last match with Cecilus meant a lot to him)
4. Can kill everyone in Vollachia combined
5. No amount of Sphinx's (who were each as powerful as Echidna) can beat him (which should also indicate he's above the likes of Hector, who Echidna could manage to stall for some time)
Cecilus is clearly meant to be someone who can compete with Reinhard (don't get me wrong tho, he's obviously weaker). On that note, I believe his wrath if key should simply be fused with his main story one, as they're more or less the same.
I can already hear people say "But he grew massively stronger during those 3 years", but people don't seem to get the fact that the entire point of Cecilus wanting to fight Reinhard is because he can't get better on his own. He needs to be pushed to his limits in order to surpass himself, which is why he wanted a fight to the death with Reinhard (compared to his sparring match with Reinhard at the end of ex 4). Tappei also wrote in his notes for wrath if that Subaru, after having recruited Halibel, specifically went to recruit Cecilus as a "safety valve in preparation for the eventual clash with Reinhard", this should have been around a few months after arc 2 timeline wise, so yeah... But anyways, I won't push too hard for it, these are just my thoughts and I'm interested to see what you guys have to say.

5. No amount of Sphinx's (who were each as powerful as Echidna)
They aren't. The text very blantly says they aren't. They don't have the mana for that.
I can already hear people say "But he grew massively stronger during those 3 years", but people don't seem to get the fact that the entire point of Cecilus wanting to fight Reinhard is because he can't get better on his own.
Literally became far stronger in arc 8

Cecilus couldn't reach the heavenly sword without Reinhard. That doesn't mean he didn't grow stonger. He outright says Subaru gave him the opportunity to grow stronger.

They aren't. The text very blantly says they aren't. They don't have the mana for that.

Cecilus couldn't reach the heavenly sword without Reinhard. That doesn't mean he didn't grow stonger. He outright says Subaru gave him the opportunity to grow stronger.

"But, in those mere five seconds, Sphinx, who had already been reduced to thirty-six bodies, was diminished by another seven, bringing her total count down to twenty-nine.

Moving with superhuman speed and combat ability, the Blue Lightning and the Admirer were far too powerful.

Even though she was supposed to be able to reproduce the capacity of her creator, the Witch of Greed, she could not hold her own in the slightest. She could not even get a solid hit in. These opponents were on a level such that she could not even overcome them by sheer force of numbers." -arc 8 chapter 73
idk how post scans but yeah, this statement happens after Sphinx gains a portion of the Crystal Palace's mana with her incomplete magic circle.

It was also blatantly said that Subaru's opportunity for Cecilus to grow stronger was through a death match with Reinhard, that's the entire reason he joined Subaru.

Rowan thinks Cecilus both has a long way to go to reach the Heavenly Sword, and is right before the Heavenly Sword. I hate this character so much omg
Rowan: [Stay alive and wait, prodigal son of mine. ――You’ve still some way to go, before ya reach the Heavenly Sword.] –Arc 8, Chapter 21

Rowan: [Yer talent with the sword’s the real deal… But, when it comes to ya, ya hit the ceiling right in front of the Heavenly Sword. If that’s the case, I thought, why not use a somewhat heavy-handed method to let ya break outta yer shell… Out of parental love.] –Arc 8, Chapter 37

Cecilus has a long way to go to reach the Heavenly Sword and he's right in front of the Heavenly Sword and he's equal in skill to Reinhard and he may one day reach Reinhard's level as a swordsman and he is faster than Reinhard and got outsped & one-shot by nerfed Reinhard. Hahahahah.

Anyways, Rowan = PoL Wilhelm confirmed!? :eek::eek::eek:
A smile escaped. ――The wicked smile of the swordsman, escaped.

Rowan: [――The steps of the Heavenly Sword, the tips of my toes are thus placed upon them.]
Only when he cast all of that away, did Rowan obtain the freedom to head for the Heavenly Sword.

Without a doubt, this lack of attachment was the precise qualification to ascend the steps to reach the Heavenly Sword.

Rowan: [Well now, take a gander, foolish son of mine. This’d be impossible for ya.]

This was a state that those who had lost their lives could finally reach.

That was to say, it was scenery that even Cecilus Segmunt, unable to conquer death, would never lay his eyes upon.

To think it could only be reached through dying, what a sadistic place for the Sword God to have placed the Heavenly Sword. –Arc 8, Chapter 46
Having been reduced to an undead, Rowan had become acutely aware of the state of his own soul, and had placed the tips of his toes upon the steps to reach the Heavenly Sword. In order to reliably take the next steps higher, this was his next trial, indeed. –Arc 8, Chapter 63

absolutely not
Cecilus has a long way to go to reach the Heavenly Sword and he's right in front of the Heavenly Sword and he's equal in skill to Reinhard and he may one day reach Reinhard's level as a swordsman and he is faster than Reinhard and got outsped & one-shot by nerfed Reinhard. Hahahahah.

Anyways, Rowan = PoL Wilhelm confirmed!? :eek::eek::eek:

A bunch of Od/Soul stuff, compiling it because it could be useful later.
Updated this with Volume 38 stuff.
Rem: [The magic release period is a phenomenon that happens periodically just for the existences that have strong magical power. Each of their Od for the strength of their magical power――the Od influences the attributes of one’s magical core, so it’s really limiting.]

Subaru: [Is Od once again something that is different from mana and Gate?]

As far as Subaru’s knowledge went, mana was the source for the magical power of this world. Gate is the organ that circulates mana inside and outside the body, and it seemed that Gate had a direct relation to the quality of a sorcerer’s attributes.

Incidentally, Subaru’s attributes as a magic user were mediocre. To make matters worse, as of now, he’s been firmly told to not use magic because of how he allowed himself to use his Gate unreasonably.

Subaru: [Judging from what Rem said, I’m guessing Od is more important than mana and Gate?]

[Ram:――That ignorance is enough to become a crime against Roswaal-sama, you being the employee that you are.] –Tanpenshuu 2, Chapter 5

Beatrice: [It can’t be helped, so Betty will give an explanation, in fact. Od is the core of life….it’s a source of magical power that spirits, humans, witchbeasts, and any other type of life have within them, no doubt about it, I suppose. Od is like a type of vessel for magical power, so it’s also an organ that saves up the mana taken in from a Gate, in fact.]

Subaru: [Huh, huh, a vessel that stockpiles magic. Go ahead and continue.]

Beatrice: [The way you’re speaking is irritating, I suppose… Anyways, we’re dealing with a great amount of mana of outstanding Od, in fact. However, there’s a limit to any type of vessel’s capacity, I suppose. And the mana that overflows because of the Od meeting its limit… it’s necessary to disperse it before that happens, in fact.]

Subaru: [Bring it out before your stomach explodes inside, huh. ….So something like constipation?]

Beatrice: [Think about how you word it, I suppose!] –Tanpenshuu 2, Chapter 5

As Rem rushed over, she had a grim look on her face as she shook her head to his reply.

"Unfortunately, I do not know how much effect my healing magic would have. This is not simply interfering with the body, but with the Od directly through their Gates. Only Ferris-sama can deal with such powerful mana contamination..." –Volume 7, Chapter 3

Evil Spirits were a species of Spirits, but there were no differences between the two in a strict sense. However, as Spirits that harbored malice against both people and animals, the term “Evil Spirit” had spread far and wide. Originally, Spirits were supernatural lifeforms that were represented by mana, mostly free from the rights and wrongs of the physical world.

On the other hand, it was a rare occurrence, but Spirits that evidently bore ill will towards those around it, such as what was inside of the Water Mirror, were born. They were called “Evil Spirits” and were given the same treatment as Witchbeasts, designated as the harmful enemies of humanity.

Priscilla: [This one had been luring humans to it by utilizing the ability of the Water Mirror, drowning them in the spring and absorbing all of their Od. Presumably, it used that method to amass its strength. It is similar to the traits of a carnivorous plant.] –Tanpenshuu 3, Chapter 5

Julius: "The phenomenon itself is exceedingly simple. Everything comprising the caster's soul– their memories, experiences, and most likely, elemental character and destiny– are seared onto the soul of another person." –Volume 9, Chapter 1

The Insect Cage Clan was a minority group that existed only in Vollachia, a tribe that included a wide variety of demi-humans.

From a young age, members of the clan ingested bugs with special powers, adopting the qualities of those creatures over time. They shared their Od, the wellspring of all life, with the insects, combining their very souls in order to share their bodies and gain the insects’ power.

This was what led to their monstrous external appearance.
When the people of this clan unleashed the power of the insects, they themselves transformed into something very much like the bugs. –EX 4, Diplomacy by Bloodshed, Section 14

“Carillon…!” He sent his partner dragon plummeting from the clouds toward the ground.

The man had cared for his dragon partner since before she emerged from her egg and shared his Od with her; their souls were bound together. The bond between a rider and his dragon was much like that between an Insect Cage Clan member and their bugs. –EX 4, Diplomacy by Bloodshed, Section 17

“It is very close to the mark. Our physical replica bodies are created by a ritual, using artificial Od at its core. Enshrouding mana around this core materializes these bodies into being.”

“Od, that was the power in the body, as distinct from the mana that floats in the atmosphere, wasn’t it?”

“Od rests within all that lives. Accordingly, it is even said that Od is proof of the soul.”

The mismatched gravity with which the young voice spoke the words made Subaru unwittingly draw in his breath.
If Od was proof of the soul, then using a ritual to create it was surely— “This is kind of putting it lightly, but ain’t that… creating life?

“Of course, rather special conditions must be in order to make such a phenomenon possible. Unfortunately, I was unable to comprehend the details. —You may simply think of the formula’s creation as the result of a Witch’s quest and the result obtained via experimentation.” –Volume 12, Chapter 2

Finally, Subaru understood too. The four Ryuzus, the overseers of the Sanctuary, shared their role with one another. The four had been pretending to be a single person.

"But why go through all that trouble? Couldn't you have just acted like quadruplets?"

"Our replica bodies are not flesh and blood, but false Od shrouded in mana. Mana depletes in accordance to how active the body is. It is insufficient for even a full day's worth of activity." –Volume 13, Chapter 3

Aghast, Beatrice looked up at the blue magic crystal right beside them.

"With this crystal as the catalyst, you would make your Od the core of the barrier...? If you do that, you can overwrite the mana in the soil without any delay and make this forest a Sanctuary..."

"Yes. That is what Echidna-sama said." –Volume 14, Chapter 2

Info: Beatrice has separated from Subaru to go to help Ryuzu stabilize the Od in the Ryuzu clones' core. –The Three Idiots Set Out! Earth Spider Episode, Summary

Info:
  • Subaru's consciousness is clouded by a weird feeling. The feeling is similar to the one he gets when Beatrice collects mana from him.
  • Subaru is kind of aware the Earth Spider is a spirit, due to its heavy interference with his Od. The Earth Spider is trying to tell Subaru something, but he does not know what it is. –The Three Idiots Set Out! Earth Spider Episode, Summary

Of course, this was not because Beatrice was too much of a child to be able to sleep alone, but because much of the mana drawn from one's Od was generated during sleep, it was nothing more than consideration for Subaru's physical condition. –Volume 16, Chapter 3

Subaru: “To begin with, borrowing her body? What kind of situation is that?”

“Anastasia”: “To put it simply, I overwrite my existence in Ana’s Od, and I borrow her freely, that is the situation. In this state, I am able to control Ana’s body at will, I can also manipulate Ana’s Gate, which is defective from the start, and use magic.” –Volume 20, Chapter 7

“Is this your first time borrowing her body?”

“No, this is the fourth time. But this is the first time there has been any issue going back. It’s never happened before, so I have no clue what the cause might be… I’ve stopped being able to extract myself from her body. As a result, Ana’s consciousness is sleeping in the depths of her Od.”

Eridna spoke as she touched her chest, as if the Od were inside her
, and then she looked at the scarf lying limp on the roundtable. –Volume 20, Chapter 7

“Anastasia”: “So far as it goes, Ana and I have a contracted relationship of a Spirit and a user. Though it is an imperfect relationship… an imperfect Spirit, along with an imperfect user. I believe I have spoken about Ana’s body.”

Subaru: “Ah, about there being some defects in the Gate, and stuff.”

“Anastasia”: “That is close to the relationship between the present you and Beatrice. What is different from you two is that Ana’s body has no receptacle to receive Mana at all. In order for her to maintain her Contract with me she has no choice but to spend her Od.

Subaru: “Hm, hm?”

He thought of that explanation as roughly the same as what he had heard before. However, Echidna believed Subaru’s understanding was rather shallow, so she put a finger on her chest and,

“Anastasia”: “This state is equivalent to me manifesting in Ana’s stead. Which means Ana’s Od is being eaten up at an increased rate. Even now, moment by moment, Ana’s Od is being grated.”

Subaru: “I believe Od was, like, the soul itself of the person
… which means.”

“Anastasia”: “On top of assenting the dangers of having a Contract with me, Ana took my hand. Ever since then, I hypothesized that some day, the end would arrive… but now is, rather soon.”

——That was why, the body must be returned to Anastasia as soon as possible. –Volume 22, Chapter 6

Julius: “I just wish to confirm this. Anastasia-sama’s Od is the price for your ability to continue to manifest yourself… So naturally, the more you strain yourself, the heavier the burden on Anastasia-sama’s body will be. Is that correct?”

“Anastasia”: “Correct. That is the right way to understand it. If I eat well, sleep well, get some moderate exercise… take a generally healthy approach to life, it would be just enough to counteract the toll on Ana’s Od.” –Volume 22, Chapter 7

The Memories eaten by Gluttony did not remain extant within the person concerned, the Names eaten by Gluttony did not remain extant within other people. That was because the Authority tore them off from the soul, which defined one’s existence in the world.

The proper cleansing of the soul by Od Lagna, which was practiced in the Hall of Memories―― acting as its agent of its own accord, the Authority of Gluttony would usurp it in stealth.

Therefore, the Memories and Names snavelled by Gluttony did not remain present within anyone.

Restrictively, though there had been ones who had only Memories or only Names stolen away, respective negative effects got applied.

If the Memories were stolen then said person, if the Name was stolen then other people, could no longer remember the person concerned. That could not be altered as long as the disposition of the soul remained within the protection of Od Lagna.

Yet, Natsuki Subaru did remember.

Did remember the ingredient, the soul which had been rendered naked, having Memories and Name both stolen. –Volume 25, Chapter 3

“Anastasia”: “Having ceded the body over to me, and temporarily lying dormant in your Od, you are in a state wherein you will not receive any interference from the outside world―― Because the Od, is a world of a certain kind of peculiarity.”

And by her own volition, she had secluded herself away in that place.

The reason being obvious―― Should she come outside, she would incur the effects. The abhorrent Authority of the Sin Archbishop of Gluttony, she would incur its effects.

She would forget what she wished to never forget, relinquish what she wished to never relinquish.

Anastasia Hoshin would forget Julius Juukulius. –Volume 25, Chapter 6

――That what was termed as Synesthesia, operated via the Ods of two differing individuals being connected.

What was termed as the Od, was the source of power existing in the depths of a human being―― it could also be synonymous for the soul.

Though on instances it was also used in place of Mana as power for utilizing magic, originally, the Od was the pure property itself that made a human, human.

The consequence of having a domain that could not be trespassed by anyone, linking those born of the same womb mutually, perhaps resulted in Synesthesia, so propounded theory.

In the end, it came to be determined as folklore, and was not something that had been proven.

However, since it had been left in the Forbidden Library, it surely was not some phony spiel either. Above all else, Ram personally had taken a liking to that theory.

To have one’s own self and someone else be connected together by birth, was a lovely thing. –Volume 25, Chapter 7

By way of Synesthesia, Ram would share the burden levied upon her own flesh body to her sleeping younger sister.

It was in consequence of having experienced Subaru’s Authority by herself once. Having witnessed something once, Ram could materialize it identically, roughly.

What Subaru had done was an identical contrivance―― it possibly coercively connected others’ Od with his own Od, inducing a fairly arbitrary Synesthesia. Subaru’s side could possibly consign his burden over if he felt inclined to do so as well, but since Subaru was a fool, he would not do so.

Contrarily, by taking it upon himself, he endeavored to abate the burden of his allies. –Volume 25, Chapter 7

Abel: “――It is one of the supposedly lost secret arts spoken of in ancient literature. It is called the Soul Marriage Technique; by sharing a part of one’s soul with others, value is added to it.”

Al: “I don’t get it! The ****’s that supposed to mean?”

Abel: “To put it another way, souls united via the Soul Marriage Technique share a fraction of their power. And in this city, there is merely a single wielder of the Soul Marriage Technique――” –Volume 29, Chapter 3

Abel: “――As I stated. The Soul Marriage Technique involves ceding a portion of one’s soul to another. By soul, that would be the very root of one’s self, the Od.”

Al: “Ceding… Od.”

Ruminating on the words, Al’s voice trembled at the realization.

Od was, as Abel had stated, the root of one’s being―― the center of not only the body, but also the more spiritual part of the being, the origin of one’s Mana.

In this world, it was often treated as it was the same as the soul. So, perhaps the Soul Marriage Technique could also be called the Od Marriage Technique. Although Subaru wasn’t too sure of this.

Subaru: “But why do souls become stronger when they’re joined together?”

Abel: “A similar example would be the relationship between a Spiritual Arts User and a Spirit. By entering into a contractual relationship, User and Spirit connect to each other’s essence. Thus, those connected can be said to draw power from one another. Physical separation has nothing to do with it.
This ought to ring a bell.” –Volume 29, Chapter 3

Abel: “As for your case, the issue is that you have lost your ability to comprehend and your creativity. The details of Olbart’s technique are unknown, but one theory would be that the body reflects the ups and downs of its own Od.”

Subaru: “T-the Od’s ups and downs…?”

Abel: “It means that there is a connection between the Od and the body, their growth and decay. So to speak, we can assume that Olbart has meddled with your… or rather, all of your Ods.”

Abel looked over at Subaru, Al, and Medium, whose bodies remained shrunk.

That explanation didn’t ring a bell to Subaru. As was the case with his broken Gate, which was used for magic, he had no real sense of the explanation about Mana and Od, whose existence he had originally been unaware of. –Volume 29, Chapter 4

Giving a brief answer to Subaru’s hesitant question, Olbart’s outstretched hand gently touched Subaru’s solar plexus.

Abel had conjectured that Olbart’s “infantilization” technique interfered with the Od, and perhaps that Od resided somewhere around the heart.

At the same time, a memory came back to Subaru’s mind. The previous day, he had indeed received a painless blow from Olbart as he fled from the keep right beneath where he was currently standing.

Subaru’s “infantilization” had occurred, with the interference of his Od as a trigger
. –Volume 29, Chapter 8

——An abominable technique left behind by the Vicious Old Man, Olbart Dunkelkenn.

By meddling with the Od of others, the Shinobi’s secret infantilization technique could remarkably reverse the growth of one’s body.

All living beings were naught more than containers for that which came into existence from nothingness, the Od. Depending on the shape of the Od, the size and form of the container would vary accordingly.

Therefore, all living creatures would don different appearances, and establish themselves as unique life forms.

If this theory was correct, that the body only served as a container for the Od, then by altering the shape of one’s Od, the form of its container could be altered freely.

By compressing one’s Od, then the body, serving as the container, could also be shrunk
—— –Volume 31, Chapter 2

Olbart: “But, it’s amusin’ that the actual result and the effects deviate so much, ya know. I was sure they’d just shrink someone, ya know, but it goes as far as ta completely restore the brain ta its youthful state.”

Olbart: “Unfortunately, I really don’t understand why either. Well, guess it’s ‘cause the Od’s forcibly tampered with. Just as yer body shrinks ta fit yer Od, yer mind’d prolly shrink ta fit yer Od as well, yeah?
” –Volume 31, Chapter 2

If this were magic, killing the caster would usually cause it to cease functioning. Magic was invoked by the caster using Mana to interfere with the world, so if the caster disappeared, that would be the end of it.

However, curses were specialized for causing damage that resulted in the death of the target.

For this reason, many of them activated in combination with the target’s Od, and most of them did not lose their efficacy as long as the target continued to live, even if the caster perished. For example, these thorns were clearly more dependent on the target’s Od than the caster’s, a perfect example.

The only way to break this type of curse was to have the caster break it, or to use a secret trick.

Groovy: [There’s that ******* sword, Murasame. Go get it.] –Volume 36, Chapter 5

Through the art of flying dragon taming, Balleroy and Carillon were tied to each other’s existences through their souls―― through the merging of Od with Od. Subjugating the innately ferocious flying dragons through that process, was the secretive technique of flying dragon taming.

Given that relationship, any wavering in Balleroy’s thoughts and feelings was directly transmitted to Carillon. The inverse also held true, so Balleroy had also sensed Carillon’s thoughts
. –Volume 37, Chapter 4

However, it was not as she had realized, upon losing said “pillar”.

By the time she had realized it, it would have already been too late; she would have likely invited the original end of a Spirit Eater, the quick collapse of the ego, being consumed by the Spirits she had taken in, and her soul being painted over.

However, Arakiya did not meet that fate. For that, two factors could be considered.

One was that the individual Arakiya had deemed as her “pillar” was like a dazzling sun, shining so brightly that even when they were separated, they could not lose sight of them.

The other reason, and one that Arakiya would never want to admit―― in the days after being separated from her “pillar“, the Thunder that reminded Arakiya of the fact that she was herself shook her soul incessantly, evoking feelings of inferiority and stimulating her individuality.

Bathed in the light of the dazzling sun, accompanied by the incessant Thunder, Arakiya had preserved her own soul. –Volume 37 Interlude, "Arakiya"

Moment by moment, as time flowed, elapsed, passed, “Arakiya” was disappearing.

Gradually feeling her existence, the whereabouts of her soul, being painted over
, amidst the pain and anguish, Arakiya earnestly tried to recall the radiance of her Sun. –Volume 37 Interlude, "Arakiya"

The Witch had thought that if a pre-existing soul could be adhered to the empty life of the replicant, pseudo-immortality by means of soul-duplication could thus be achieved.

However, this prospect easily crumbled before the fact that the size and form of the soul and the vessel of life individually differed.

The soul of the Witch of Greed could not be contained within the replicant of Ryuzu Meyer
. –Volume 37, Chapter 7

This, too, was a revelation that came about with the creation of Sphinx, but there was a correlation between “soul” and “receptacle”, and if dissonance existed between the two, it would serve as a significant flaw that stood in the way.

By nature, receptacles were optimized to match their souls.

In short, the techniques and abilities of the Witch of Greed could only be adequately wielded by the body of the Witch of Greed. As a being with the incomplete soul of the Witch of Greed filling the receptacle of Ryuzu Meyer, Sphinx had been hindered from fulfilling the purpose of her creation ever since the very moment of her genesis

As a result, it had taken one hundred and fifty years for Sphinx to attain power befitting her designation as a Witch.

For Sphinx, who harbored the flaw of discrepancy between receptacle and soul, things like how to walk, how to breathe, and even how to beat her heart had required her to exert effort akin to relearning it anew. –Volume 37, Chapter 7

This horrid scene inside the audience chamber―― something had tampered with the souls of the undead resurrected in earthen vessels, something that had been mixed into their souls, something that had transfigured them. It was not for the sake of winning this war, but a barbaric act performed for an objective that completely disregarded the imminent victory or defeat. Within the details that had produced those grotesque forms, he could feel a curiosity that desired results, utterly detached from emotion, similar to that of the unorthodox criminals.

And the objective of that curiosity was understood by Olbart with a single touch.

Olbart: [――Ya got some nerve ta try and tamper with souls.]

Olbart often used a shinobi technique that would interfere with the souls of others―― with their Ods, and cause them to shrink. Chisha had also stolen and made use of it; however, that technique only touched upon the outer layer.

But, this inquisitive mind desired results that went beyond just that.

What exactly those results were, Olbart, who did not know the curious individual in question, had no way of knowing, but―― –Volume 37 Interlude, "Witch"

Soul aflame, life fading to ash, his very destiny was on the cusp of its terminus.

All were engulfed in the blaze, and as Rowan’s self was blurring into the realm after death, he entered into a domain untread by living and undead both―― the interval between life and death, the point that ought to be called the beyond.

That was tantamount to uncovering the very nature, the true essence, of life and the soul.

A few more seconds, real as they might be, the final significance of Rowan Segmunt’s existence would overflow.
–Arc 8, Chapter 64

Cecilus: [――No, you’re the same person. You look different on the outside but you’re the same on the inside… Hmm? Perhaps you’re a little different on the inside too? Is such a thing even possible?]

Witch: [If the form and nature of a soul changes, the exterior follows suit. The converse is also true, but… by what sort of principle were you able to perceive that with merely a single glance? Answer: Required.]

Cecilus: [Hahahaha, now that you mention it, I too wonder how I figured that out.] –Arc 8, Chapter 64

Through transformation of the soul, the vessel was reconstructed into the Witch of Greed. –Arc 8, Chapter 65

Sphinx: [By nature, the soul and the vessel are inseparable; this I had understood immediately after I was created. The long years of my quest, it could be said that they were a journey to rectify that inconsistency.]

Her purpose had supposedly been to replicate the Witch of Greed, however the soul had been inserted into a vessel differing to that of the Witch of Greed, hence Sphinx could not help but be born as an incomplete version of the Witch of Greed. –Arc 8, Chapter 65

As mentioned previously, by nature, the vessel and the soul were inseparable characteristics of life.

Even intangible entities like Spirits were no exception to this. The presence or absence of a tangible body was not what mattered, but rather, the vessel that formed the receptacle within which the soul would reside.

To say that they were incongruous, would also imply that such a life would be in an unnatural state. Hence, within the inseparable soul and vessel, there would be a force at work that would attempt to correct this unnatural incongruity.

Certainly, no matter what corrective forces were at work, cases where a vessel would mutate to match its soul were rare.

Things like the techniques employed by the shinobi that altered the soul and changed the form of the vessel to match, and binding curses of reincarnation that required multiple lives as a sacrifice were rare examples of this; however, the former required talent in the technique of molding the soul and the vessel into the appropriate form, while the latter required a strong connection between the caster and the numerous sacrifices.

Both of these were conditions that Sphinx could not meet, thus she was forced to abandon them as possibilities after considering their feasibility in order to achieve her desire.

Hence, Sphinx had taken advantage of it. ――Of the Great Disaster.

Priscilla: [In the process of resurrecting the dead across the Empire with evil magic, you are able to make innumerable observations concerning invisible and intangible souls. It was perfect for conducting investigations pertaining to your objective, was it not?] –Arc 8, Chapter 65

The clash of blades that had been exchanged in his father’s final moments, had informed Cecilus Segmunt. ――It had informed him about the whereabouts of the soul.

The blade of Rowan Segmunt, the sword of the man who had desecrated life and death alike, had done so.

Therefore――,

Cecilus: [――Swordsman, Cecilus Segmunt.]

Indeed, giving an austere statement, the Blue Lightning, Cecilus Segmunt, the most powerful being within the Vollachian Empire, swung the Dream Sword with limbs of length most befitting the leading actor. –Arc 8, Chapter 65

Sphinx’s two objectives in becoming the bearer of the Great Disaster, and flooding the Vollachian Empire with the dead―― one of them, that of reproducing the soul of the Witch of Greed, had succeeded. The rest was only a matter of time until this soul became acclimated to the vessel, and the existence of Sphinx herself was painted over by her creator.

Thus, before that was fulfilled and Sphinx fully disappeared,
her remaining objective―― let it be deliberately asserted as revenge. She would enact her revenge on Priscilla Barielle. –Arc 8, Chapter 67

Priscilla: [Although vexing, upon seeing you imitate Lamia by increasing your numbers, mineself had an intuition. No matter how much the number of vessels increases, the underlying soul is shared. ――That is to say, the source of the Mana possessed by the owner of the soul of Sphinx shall be centralized.]

That was the existential flaw of Sphinx, having been resurrected as the Witch of Greed.

By abusing the ritual of the Sacrament of the Immortal King, it allowed the undead to revive and create multiple instances of themselves, but so long as the original soul remained the same, they could not have more Mana than they already possessed. –Arc 8, Chapter 70

Olbart: [Oh, sorry ‘bout this, but I’ve lost both my hands, so you’re gonna hafta get back on yer own, okay? Looks like there’s no way I can knead yer soul back ta its original shape, kakakakka!] –Arc 8, Chapter 71

Calling that name, the role of the Witch, who had plotted everything in hopes of becoming a disaster, would be devoured.

The heinous Authority, which had plundered the lives of many, sowed misfortune, and cloaked its catastrophe, would now justly be utilized to seize happiness, to restore the lives of many people.

In refusal of that, the Witch’s soul was, quite literally, assiduously pursuing a thousand transformations.

???: [――――]

Through continually raising the undead, the Witch, Sphinx, had learned the nature of the soul.

In doing so, she had succeeded in reproducing the Witch of Greed, and by altering the nature of her soul, she acquired a means to escape both the flame of the Yang Sword, and the light of Star Eating.
–Arc 8, Chapter 74

Subaru: [――Sphinx.]

Calling her name so, his hand entwined with Spica’s, he attempted to touch the Witch’s soul.

――The power of Star Eating, was that of a wish.

‘Twas a selfish wish, one that sought salvation from others, imploring the convenience of trying to save someone by means of a power that had only ever served to plunder and disdain, akin to making a wish upon a shooting star.

Yet, that was precisely why, precisely because it was a wish entrusted upon something that was not inherently so, it had to be made in sincerity.

It was not a matter of simply calling upon a name. To truly know somebody’s name, and call it out, was to declare that you would rise to the stage with them, and participate in their life. –Arc 8, Chapter 74

To a stranger, what words must one say to be noticed?

To a stranger, how many times must one reach out their hand to be remembered?

To get someone’s attention, suppose to even touch someone’s soul, naught would commence without first going from being strangers to being acquainted.

For one to let somebody know who they were, he knew of the best method. –Arc 8, Chapter 74

In any case, following his own scent as he walked through the faux Hall of Memories, Subaru tried to slowly reel in that which was uncertain, and bring it to that which was certain.

Amidst his many Return by Death attempts, Olbart, who had lost both arms, apologized that it would be difficult to undo the infantilization with a casual tone of voice―― So instead of an apology, Subaru sought instruction.

His vessel and soul were eager to return to normal. Thus, all that remained was to let scent guide his way.

If he could do that――,

Subaru: [――My name is Natsuki Subaru. Throughout Heaven and Earth, the one and only, broke beyond compare.]

Indeed, the voice, which was cracking foolish jokes, became a little deeper and lower. His eye level changed, and the feel of Spica’s hand in his grip suddenly became smaller.

However, it was the opposite of that. Spica did not shrink. ――Subaru, had changed.

Subaru: [――――]

It was an intuitive change. His soul had been in a constant state of trying to return to its own original form.

By means of the growing pains from his heart and soul going from child to adult, flowing through his nerves and veins, the deep emotion Subaru felt upon accomplishing that quite literally seeped into each and every cell in his body.

And thus, having regained his self in a sense absolute,
Subaru went face to face with Sphinx once again―― nay, he went face to face with her for the very first time. –Arc 8, Chapter 74

Last edited:
Updated this with Volume 38 stuff.
interested in this OD, from what I read, this OD is a fundamental aspect of a person. If my guess is correct, Reinhard should get Conceptual Manipulation type 3, when he eliminates the puck along with its OD, because basically a spirit can only die if its Od is affected.

Some glaring issues on Subaru and beatrice's profile
1. Beatrice should have soul manipulation, she is a spirit and has already interacted with Od before. Mana drain is one example
2. they managed to hold down shaula with the gravity manipulation if i recall correctly? that should give them that amount of LS with GM or TK
3. IP managed to hold down Ram so it should be class 5

Last edited:
1. Beatrice should have soul manipulation
Priscilla: “This one had been luring humans to it by utilizing the ability of the Water Mirror, drowning them in the spring and absorbing all of their Od. Presumably, it used that method to amass its strength. It is similar to the traits of a carnivorous plant.”

Her explanation implied that the missing people had fallen victim to the Evil Spirit’s scheme, over and over and over.

Sunlight on the Water

2. they managed to hold down shaula with the gravity manipulation if i recall correctly? that should give them that amount of LS with GM or TK
EL-Vita only added 100kg to Subaru's weight, Subaru needed the help of many different Witchbeasts pulling alongside him to compete with Shaula in a game of tug-of-war.

the only impressive thing here is that Subaru's Whip was durable enough to withstand said tug-of-war.

Last edited:

Every single ongoing rz matchup in case yall missed anything

I am done with classes for now, and my vacation is coming.

On that note, anyone have evidence Arakiya's light attacks meet the requirements to be legitimate light? I am skeptical atm.

I am done with classes for now, and my vacation is coming.

On that note, anyone have evidence Arakiya's light attacks meet the requirements to be legitimate light? I am skeptical atm.
Beyond being Yang element (being related to Jiwald helps a ton), her spirit magic is stated to be natural phenomena a multiple times.

They very explicitly aren't light hope this helps 👍
Please don't mix up Angel Arakiya's 3rd stage with either base Arakiya or Angel Arakiya's first stage.

Arc 8 Chapter 57 confirms that Angel Arakiya used light, then earth, then crystals (the things called light-belts).

Gather the evidence please, so I can put it in my sandbox, I think this will also probably be another thing that's contested.

Gather the evidence please, so I can put it in my sandbox, I think this will also probably be another thing that's contested.

The strike that should have caught Arakiya was bereft of a hit reaction, rather, the expected impact had been slightly off, instead producing a solid sound.

From how it appeared, the thick sole of Yorna’s upwards kick had collided with nothing other than the blade of the Yang Sword swung down by Priscilla.

Their pincer attack had missed their very important opponent, they had rather astoundingly struck one another instead.

What was more surprising, was that the collision of both Yorna and Priscilla’s attacks had been inside Arakiya’s seemingly flickering body.

Yorna: “It… passed through her?”

Priscilla: “How impudent.”

Immediately after Yorna’s astonishment and Priscilla’s irritation spilled over simultaneously, Arakiya’s body, having seemingly taken in both attacks, glowed white as a counterattack was unleashed.

It was as if Arakiya’s whole body had exploded―― No, it had, in fact, exploded.

Arakiya’s body scattered into rays of white light, dispersing with terrifying force spread in every direction like buckshot, hitting Yorna and Priscilla like a fountain of water.

Yorna: “Kuh…!”

In an instant, Yorna gathered the fine pieces of dirt that had been whirled up by the previous gale, and clad herself and Priscilla in a cloud of dust.

Rather than “cladding” them in clothing that stuck to the body, it was a delicate technique that circulated around one’s figure at high speed to repel attacks.

If Arakiya’s buckshot merely held the firepower one would discern at first glance, this would have reduced its power just enough. However―—

Yorna: “――Hk!!”

Easily penetrating the cloak of earth wrapped around them, Arakiya’s rays pierced Yorna and Priscilla.

Blown away by the impact, Yorna dropped to the ground while screaming in agony. With all her strength, she instantly burrowed her stretched out feet in the ground to avoid an unsightly fall. –Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Web Novel Arc 7 Chapter 95, Enemies on All Bastions
At Priscilla, callously stating this unexpected answer, Yorna’s mouth was left agape from the shock.

However, this shock was negated by Priscilla’s grasp of the radiant Yang Sword. That strange phenomenon from earlier, was.

Yorna: “Priscilla, with the Yang Sword, you should be able to reach any opponent. Provided their soul hasn’t been severed by the Life Sword…”

Priscilla: “Even without you telling me, Dear Mother, I am painstakingly aware of that. However, there is something you are mistaken about.”

Yorna: “Mistaken?”

Priscilla: “My Yang Sword burns what I wish to burn and slashes only what I wish to slash.”

Saying that, Priscilla slowly raised the tip of her Yang Sword. What assembled beyond the tip of the Yang Sword, as Yorna followed it with her gaze, was Arakiya, scattered white light forming her figure little-by-little.

Reflecting the nature of the Spirit they had devoured, the Spirit Eaters were said to be able to house the strength they possessed in their bodies—— While the true nature of this rare ability was unknown, the capability for its capabilities to be expanded upon was remarkable.

Just now, by what principle had light transformed into a body—— once that was pondered over, it became clear.

The Yang Sword slashed what it wanted to slash, a treasured sword able to reach all things.

Priscilla: “——Is that fire, water, or wind? If that becomes indistinguishable from light or shadow, there is no doubt that it becomes difficult, but even so, I can still reach you.”

Meeting the gaze of Arakiya, whose eyes were the same hue, Priscilla’s crimson eyes narrowed.

The owner of the Yang Sword that could reach all things, and the transcendent being, possessing the ability to transform into anything, confronting each other—— –Re: Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Web Novel Arc 7 Chapter 95, Enemies on All Bastions
Even though she had received an answer, her cheeks hardened at the fact she did not understand it.

Then, Arakiya freely flew in the sky at high speed to escape, causing cataclysmic waves of natural phenomena.

Yorna, being airborne, had no way to avoid her onslaught of wood, fire, earth, metal, and water.

Yorna: “As was the case even before I made peace with the Empire.”

Spinning those words from her loosened lips, Yorna ran through the air on the footholds of earth that rose one after another.

While resentful in spirit, but also full of joyful emotional attachment, were she to decide to love the Vollachian Empire in its state, in its entirety, then the ground itself would respond and continue its ardent support.

Avoiding the rain of fire, the spears of water, the great waves of wind, and the slashes of light at every turn, Yorna once again closed in on Arakiya. –Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Web Novel Arc 8 Chapter 9, Deciding to Love
To cut what one wanted to cut, and to burn what one wanted to burn, was the true essence of the Yang Sword’s properties.

In a demonstration of its true value, its white flame could deliver Priscilla’s slashes without regard to Arakiya’s characteristics, even if Arakiya had all natural phenomena as her ally. –Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Web Novel Arc 8 Chapter 9, Deciding to Love
Fire, wind, water, earth, light, shadow, untouchable phenomena.

There was no will that intervened, only the realization of what was desired.

Arakiya wanted to be a phenomenon, neither man nor beast. –Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Web Novel Arc 8 Chapter 9, Deciding to Love
Cecilus: “Come to think of it, you started off by sending light and fire flying and then swapped to pillars of stone and limbs of earth along the way. Are these jewels the next progression of that… they are truly quite elegant so I like it! How splendid oh how splendid, the feeling of the climax is rising!” –Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Web Novel Arc 8 Chapter 57, Cecilus Segmunt

I'm not. The examples you provided are technically correct but they aren't the "bands of light" that I see constantly brought up (by Satella).
Well yeah the light-belts are magic crystals, so they aren't among the light feat scans.

Can't wait for debates such as "Which light is real light?", "Do we acknowledge the light-feats from before & after Arc 8?", and "What rating do we use, if so?"

Is there any precedent at all for rain dodging being added to profiles on the wiki? I tried searching and I actually mainly just found ReZero related stuff. I feel like since this is something that goes beyond simply skill and into the impossible it is something that should be indexed in a clear way in the abilities section so that people won't simply ignore it, but I'm not sure how. Perhaps this is something to discuss with a higher authority on the wiki?

Back