• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon General Discussion Thread Gen V: Sequels in Demand

Life Orb can fit anything offensive (bonus points if Magic Guard included), but Mimikyu is meant to be a check for setup sweepers, and as Drain Punch or Leech Life are pretty situational, I prefer to sacrifice extra power for the ability to be able to surprise opponents with the Rocky Helmet, as it also ruins Focus Bands and Multiscale.

Drite77 said:
What is your set for Mimi?
Mimikyu (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 56 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance

Shadow Sneak is the leading offensive move, as with a Swords Dance it can pretty much be used the same way as a typical Bullet Punch Megsa Scizor set, but obviously weaker as its attack stat is lower.

Play Rough is the obligatory STAB move in case more power is needed, as it´s also more powerful than Shadow Sneak

Drain Punch is around for Normal types that are immune to Shadow Sneak and also allows Mimikyu to recover soem health

Swords Dance is for the obvious setting up mechanic that combined with Disguise and the Rocky Helmet bring a quite good option to many situations, but as Disguise can only be used once, I also prefer to keep Mimikyu for the late-game, to also avoid it being easily revenge killed.

Drite77 said:
Umm, do you use DP to check steel types?
DP? What´s that? Oh wait, you mean Drain Punch, which, yes, but the move is quite situational as Monotype doesn´t have that many Pokémon of such type unless when actually facing monoteams of such (Steel types used in other typeteams are often neutral to Fighting, rendering Shadow Sneak as a more reliable option for the most part)

As for steel types, I have Azumarril, Tapu Fini and Klefki for those roles, Mimikyu, Klefki and Diancie are also around for checking Poison types.

I don't think that you need Mimi for a check for it. You could use Shadow Claw for a more strong STAB, it is also neutral to steel, so you don't really lose alot

Drain Punch is mostly meant to check Normal types that would otherwise easily wall it (As Play Rough is a bit prone to miss thanks to its lower than 100% accuracy), plus it also allows to heal.

It is 90% of accuracy, you don't need Drain Punch for that high accuracy mate. Healing is good NGL, but the power that Shadow Claw have may be better in alot of cases

It´s to be noted that my favorite team is my Steel type one, but I just can´t find something that does the perfect role for a practically single Pokémon slot left that isn´t banned (As Magearna or Kartana would be the perfect ones, let alone Dialga).

Mimikyu more like Mi-Mistake! In Anything Goes, I have a team that is 6 Imposter Dittos + Leftovers and it's surprisingly not bad. I had a team that was 5 Imposter Dittos + Leftovers and one that was Normalium-Z Transform, but it didn't work out so well. Also, in OU I have a team consisting of M-Charizard-X, Gengar, Gardevoir, Lucario, Lopunny and Greninja.

Drite77 said:
What is the role that you want for the Steel team?
Something to check Mega Swampert, TBH I just remembered Mega Scizor and Jirachi already check Fighting types.

Ferrothorn is the only thing in mind (As Grass type means it can take Waterfall and Earthquake with no problem), but that one often leads into Mega Swampert just being switched out, and as it´s pretty slow even without rain around, well...

I would just add Stealth Rock, but Heatran already has that and is weak to Water and Ground type moves...

@Henry Your team is trash mate

@Gyro yeah, i could see Skarm or Cele walling he, but Waterfall in rain hurts alot more

Water teams appear to be the cripping weakness my team has, not Fighting, not Ground, not even Fire, but Water via Mega Swampert with rain actually sweeping my team nearly always.

I actually had Magnezone in such "no legitimate use" slot, and Power Whip is prone to miss despise it beign a legitimately strong and reliable move otherwise.

Eh, I´ll try again Ferrothorn, that should turn things better.

252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Ferrothorn: 150-177 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs

0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swampert-Mega: 456-540 (133.7 - 158.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It kinda works

HenryWong122 said:
Mimikyu more like Mi-Mistake! In Anything Goes, I have a team that is 6 Imposter Dittos + Leftovers and it's surprisingly not bad. I had a team that was 5 Imposter Dittos + Leftovers and one that was Normalium-Z Transform, but it didn't work out so well. Also, in OU I have a team consisting of M-Charizard-Z, Gengar, Gardevoir, Lucario, Lopunny and Greninja.
Ditto is perhaps the only Pokémon that would actually be legitimately balanced in literally any official tier, as it allows to check setup sweepers and read the moves of the opponent.

Z-Transform is a waste of time, Imposter doing it is better after all.

And your OU team seems decent, but it has too much UU (And Gardevoid, which is RU) Pokémon, meaning that you could put some tweaks and use it in UU instead.

Huh, I never thought about Ferrothorn with such EV spread.

Gotta give it a try.

And while we are at it, I finally made the perfect counter to Mega Gyarados in Camomons (Aka, Water/Ground M-Gyarados), consisting in a simple Water/Grass Slowbro.

Too bad that meta is no longer avaiable...

Bobsican said:
HenryWong122 said:
Mimikyu more like Mi-Mistake! In Anything Goes, I have a team that is 6 Imposter Dittos + Leftovers and it's surprisingly not bad. I had a team that was 5 Imposter Dittos + Leftovers and one that was Normalium-Z Transform, but it didn't work out so well. Also, in OU I have a team consisting of M-Charizard-X, Gengar, Gardevoir, Lucario, Lopunny and Greninja.
Ditto is perhaps the only Pokémon that would actually be legitimately balanced in literally any official tier, as it allows to check setup sweepers and read the moves of the opponent.
Z-Transform is a waste of time, Imposter doing it is better after all.

And your OU team seems decent, but it has too much UU (And Gardevoid, which is RU) Pokémon, meaning that you could put some tweaks and use it in UU instead.
The only reason it's a OU team is because Greninja is OU.

Ryu Hayabusa (Greninja) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

As you can see this is a Lead Greninja. Focus Sash allowes it to set-up either two Spikes or two Toxic Spikes, Dark Pulse for STAB + Flinches and Water Pulse for STAB + Confusion. Depending on the team I can set-up all three layers of Spikes and both layers of Toxic Spikes whilst KOing a Pokemon with Dark Pulse Flinches and Water Pulse confusion.

I mean, I don´t think that team can get too high without enought luck.

In UU such team would be actually good, just replace Greninja with Nihilego and it can work out.

Bobsican said:
I mean, I don´t think that team can get too high without enought luck.
In UU such team would be actually good, just replace Greninja with Nihilego and it can work out.
Nah, F-That Jelly Jar!

Hellfire (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

On the first turn Charizard is out, I use Dragon Dance to boost my Atk and Spd and because everyone assumes I'm going to Mega on the First Turn, they waste time using Earthquake. Then, they commonly switch out allowing me to Mega + D-Dance on the second turn and occasionaly they don't so I Mega and Fire Punch/Dragon Claw depending on who is out. When I'm low on HP I use Roost on the switch out. When I get two D-Dance up they have yet to send in a Pokemon that doesn't get one shot by either Fire Punch or Dragon Claw.

Such Charizard set is good overall, but it lacks coverage, leading into easy switch outs if you use it as a lead.

I prefer the set that replaces Roost with Thunder Punch or Earthquake, and Outrage is better for wallbreaking than Dragon Claw.

Bobsican said:
Such Charizard set is good overall, but it lacks coverage, leading into easy switch outs if you use it as a lead.
I prefer the set that replaces Roost with Thunder Punch or Earthquake, and Outrage is better for wallbreaking than Dragon Claw.
I don't use it as a lead and whose wallbreaking? I KO'em before they even get started being a wall.

I mean, Outrage after a Swords Dance (Or Dragon Dance, really) actually hits really hard, and it can easily sweep if there are no Steel or Fairy types around.

Bobsican said:
I mean, Outrage after a Swords Dance (Or Dragon Dance, really) actually hits really hard, and it can easily sweep if there are no Steel or Fairy types around.
That's why I use Dragon Claw instead of Outrage, I don't have to worry about being locked in to it and I can use Fire Punch to KO the Steel and Fairy-types.

I prefer to just use Fire Punch or the other coverage moves if there´s some Fairy/Steel type(s) around.

There´s Flare Blitz, but the recoil damage can easily knock out Charizard despise it offering what Outrage does with no move locking.

Bobsican said:
I prefer to just use Fire Punch or the other coverage moves if there´s some Fairy/Steel type(s) around.
There´s Flare Blitz, but the recoil damage can easily knock out Charizard despise it offering what Outrage does with no move locking.
I know and people are always trying to Toxic me to death, so adding Flare Blitz recoil on top of that isn't smart.

Question, does any other video game adaptation get as much flack for not keeping all the game mechanics in as the Pokemon anime does?

Just wanted to point it out.

Anyways, probably nothing else, Pokémon is the only turn-based RPG around with those, whcih easily leads to having to take some freedom around.

Pretty sure that most game-based anime gets flack for that to some extent.

Also Pokémon is more based around game mechanics and gameplay than story, so it's something we notice more in the anime.

Back