• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord General Discussion Mk. VII

Im having a bad week apparently, moving on he is basically ainz but without the twelve second timer...And the ability to ee rather then simply death, any match he has is going to be decided rather swiftly.

i'm kinda convinced it's because everyone assumes the people in the New World section are all fodder

Also, why does being busted prevent him from being used?

From my time here, that's the exact reason people get spammed

cough, Rimuru, cough

Cure isn't well-known enough. Ainz is basically the face of the series (no matter how much they try to advertise Albedo).

In Maruyama's world;

Q. Maruyama, sorry for bothering you again. Yesterday on reddit people were discussing which of the 6 original Pleiades was stronger and would win 1v1 against the other, Lupusregina or Narberal. Could you clarify that for us, please?

A: Range, circumstances, preparations. They differ according to these, which one is the best is difficult. However, in your Overlord your strongest is the best

https://twitter.com/maruyama_kugane/status/982386860960825344

Anyways general powernull works for everything while magic powernull would work specifically for spells if skills are still unknown. Skills would be under supernatural energy until further evidence. For a verse like Overlord where it is unknown if mana exists in the air (I hope I'm remembering correctly) and skills don't use your magic pool, then it would be supernatural energy since someone can't use the argument that the character is extracting mana from the air to fuel their skills. Martial Arts are only hinted to use mental power or something like that

Overlord mana seems to be the "inner energy" kind. For inexperienced casters, depleting too much mana causes dizziness and possibly can cause you to fall unconcious due to Mana exhaustion

One could learn a single super-tier spell per level. Rather than call them magic, they might be better described as skills. -Vol 3 Chapter 4

Super-Tier Magic is still magic, hell it has magic in the name, just the fact it doesn't consume mana means they might better described as skills

Name =/= Nature.

The fact that it doesn't consume mana means it uses supernatural energy and thus not magic. As magic would consume mana, verses on here that have only been shown to interact with mana to manipulate or powernull it would not work on super tier if it isn't using mana, unless people want to argue the fact that it's name has magic and thus the opponent should be able to interact with it, which would be NLF.

Technically every type of energy in fiction regardless of their name are all under 'supernatural energy'.

or skills could just go the Ikki route and say they are done with pure skill, nothing supernatural about it

which is totally 100% valid, no bullshit there

also fun fact, Sebas casually moving through the crowd to save that one kid before he meets Climb is faster than the eye/brain can register

obviously not meant to be a big feat, just a fun little thing i found

oh yeah, Demi's Dimensional Lock is a skill, and Ainz's version his Staff can cast is labeled as a spell

Next, the guild staff also cast a spell.
It was the eighth-tier spell [Dimensional Lock].
While demons, angels and other outsiders often used this ability as a skill, this spell had the same function. This spell prevented instantaneous movement through means such as teleportation outside its area, but it did not hamper physical movement.

Skills shown in the series by other characters, there is a good chance he already has it as a spell. Just waiting for [Frost of Judecca] or [Time Accelerator] to be used by him. The latter is a spell but I can't remember when he actually needed it, even Shalltear didn't use it against him.

That split second moment in the sidestory he said;

No way… don't tell me he was really too weak? —Ah, this is bad, I made a mistake. Perhaps that really was a body double and the real thing fled immediately once he realized he couldn't beat me. That's certainly possible. If I'd known this back then, would things have been better if I had opened with ÒÇîDimensional LockÒÇì or some other battlefield control spell instead of attack magic?
Heavily hinting at him having it rather than taking out the staff, issuing the order all while the opponent is just watching.

Do people's souls leave their body after death in Overlord?

if they do, is that the kind of death manip that bypasses regen? (except Godly ones)

Im not sure, we know ressurection can restore the soul and body when destroyed but Im not sure if we have context for how the souls usually function post death in overlord...

Keno clenched her hand into a fist.
Would killing them and freeing their souls from those hideous bodies not be a mercy?

Cause i stumbled on this, which seems to imply death leads to your soul leaving/ejecting from the body

cause i know death magic has different showings in fiction

like it kills all biological stuff in the body

or it destroys their life force

or it ejects the soul from the body, which causes the body to stop functioning

those are the kinds that tend to show up off the top of my head

so i was trying to figure out where Overlord might stand

Honestly overlord always struck me as a more conceptual death inducement thing going on, what with ainz being able to kill nonliving things such as air/dirt with his tgoalid. Still there's not nearly enough to support that idea just how I always viewed it.

Im not sure which of these that overlords death manip falls under, it just seems to well induce death, with no futher explantion.

It also sounds like souls leaving the body post death would likly fall under verse mechanics as it's not ainz magic causing there souls to be removed afaik

so if it ejects the soul from the body, doesn't that bypass regen?

feel like i've heard that on a death manip or regen question thread

Well ainz death manip can technically bypass all but low godly regen already via tgoalid and it's not like he doesn't have soul burning hax with hellflame. Im really not sure if we would count this as an ability though it sorta sounds like a verse mechanic...

it's an ability mechanic though.....

if one death manip destroys life force and another ejects the soul from the body, we don't just say verse mechanic and say they are the same

True but we don't know if thats specifically how his death manip is causing his enemies to drop dead, they could die via completely seperate means and then their souls can just leave their bodies as they die from whatever effect ainz is causing.

Killing someone normally would still make their soul leave the body, so it's not really a death magic thing.

Really, death magic prob just multiplies your HP by 0. Then you ded.

That does leave the question of what it does to dirt and air when imbued with tgoalid, does dirt and air have health to multiply? It really depends on how the lore in yggdrasil treated death magic as that's what decides its current mechanics so I have serious doubt this is a multiply by zero situation... (Probably how it worked in ygdrassil but now its effecting dirt and oxygen when empowered and lore dictates how things work so...)

Ainz's trump card, [The Goal Of All Life Is Death] strengthened the effect of instant death magic and skills. Thus augmented, those instant-death effects could bypass any immunities or resistance and kill their targets after a certain amount of time had passed.

Pretty sure TGOALID doesn't give Cry of the Banshee the power to "kill" the dirt and air, it just makes it so death magic bypasses resistances

The construct would be a different story, of course

it did, i'm saying Cry of the Banshee should be able to do that on its own, since TGOALID just seems to give death magic Resistance Negation

Maybe the terrain has some HP, for when someone attacks it with a physical strike? And it just has immunity to death magic, cuz duh, and TGOALID ignores it?

Even so it doesn't really deal with the fact lore now trumps game mechanics even if thats how the spell worked in yggdrasil it's now based on what the game lore said it did and I seriously doubt the lore explanation was (multiply by zero) Heck ainz mentions the terrain didn't change in ygdrassil I really doubt the more realistic world gave health points to it's terrain for ainz to multiply.

In YGGDRASIL, the environment would not have succumbed, but in this new world, the effects were quite appropriate to the skill. All things were equal in the face of Death.
Ainz himself was taken aback by this strange effect. The land had not died like this in YGGDRASIL. He could not help but shake his head after witnessing the effects of the game's powers in the real world.

Well, TGOALID's lore should be "it kills everything", so now it kills everything. How it does it, maybe it just throws death at people, idk.

Fair Im saying we don't know but multiply by zero was almost definitely not the lore explanation thus it makes zero sense to assume thats how it works now when things have been irrevocably changed in new world to mirror the lore rather then game mechanics.

now that we are talking about death manip, i got a question regarding Ainz's. He's able to enhance it on his own to be harder to resist and more potent. Should that give his death magic the ability to bypass resistance to death manip, even if we just say it bypasses super basic death resistance?

Back