• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord General Discussion Mk.III

Not necessarily, but they do come with power at certain levels. Being immune to things like blindness and poison aren't things you gain from power normally and that is an in-verse weakness to hax.

I just wanted to mention, as it's only now that I have really seen the damn thread to this continued discussion space, that the data sheets with the stats are likely both less and more confusing than you think.

I say this mainly because we have no clue what it accounts for, which would mean certain special skills and passives, plus gear. Or actually, mainly gear?

What do I mean by this? Well, I would need to actually find where in the novels or in what statement of the author this is mentioned, but there is something about how Shalltear is at the top of the power totem of 100 level characters, but in the Top Lower area. She would be able to easily jump to Top Middle if all her gear was Divine Class, which it isn't, and Top High if she could customize her gear depending her opponent. Or Ainz being much less powerful than his win-loss rate would make you think, but his strategizing and All Divine Gear which is very uncommo helped him climb much higher. Gear obviously plays a massive roll and there's nothing telling us the stat sheets account for it. There's also Ainz speccing directly to counter Holy magic while acting like his other weakness, fire magic, was covered for. Shalltear's magical attack shouldn't be as high as Ainz' defense (anyone feel free to confirm), yet the spell obviously deals some manner of damage compared to Holy which wasn't actually dealing much.

We still can't use them, but just giving my two cents.

Gear obviously makes a huge difference. In the bath scene, Ainz mentions that the bath guardian that attacked Albedo could actually be a real threat to her since she wasn't wearing any gear.

FDrybob said:
Gear obviously makes a huge difference. In the bath scene, Ainz mentions that the bath guardian that attacked Albedo could actually be a real threat to her since she wasn't wearing any gear.
Wasn't that the situation with Entoma vs Evileye? Entoma's gear was so good it kept blocking all Evileye's magic except the one spell she had a weakness to. Which if I'm remembering the fight correctly, would also enforce how important gear is, as Evileye is actually a higher level than Entoma

Evil is about level 50 and Entoma is level 51. They are very comparable to one another in level.

As for gear, it certainly buffs your stats, but it isn't absolutely needed for high levels to be strong. Ainz is still strong with just some random pants on and Shalltear almost never breaks out her armor.

Ainz Is strong with barely nothing on compared to people vastly inferior to him, which is not the same compared to people close in level.

Furthermore, New World people don't exactly have a guide and are planning step by step what classes to acquire. They mostly just acquire them by doing what they wanna do. I doubt they even have the Yggdrassil class prerequirements for classes. But... That also means there's no min maxing or careful combination, which is exactly what makes Nazarick main fighters so good at their specific role.

I just remembered something. When Demiurge was facading as Jaldabaoth, he claimed his flames would send you to the afterlife (obviously saying he'll kill them).

Wouldn't this imply his hellfire doesn't actually destroy souls?

That tends to just be a figure of speech. That said, we don't really have enough of a grasp of Overlord's cosmology to make anything of it.

She'd thought they would have been burned beyond recognition, but it seemed that the devil's flames had only burned the soul rather than the flesh. The corpses were immaculate. After closing their eyes and crossing their arms over their chests, Evileye withdrew a Shroud of Sleep from her pack, and began by wrapping up Tia.

Considering it's stated here, I'd like to know where you remember this being said?

Was it during his fight with Ainz?

I don't think they would have died if he hadn't destroyed it. That said, we do not know anything about the afterlife in Overlord and thus shouldn't make assumptions.

This is from when Neia died:

"There was a world of darkness
She did not know what "she" was
She wanted to open her eyes ― but she did not know what eyes were
She did not know what darkness or the world meant
She did not know why she was thinking of these things
She knew nothing
She was vanishing
She did not know what "vanishing" meant
But she was vanishing"

Oh boy. Another contradictory afterlife view.

@Yobo

Well mental attacks can kill without destroying the mind. Aura of despair killed the trolls out of sheer fright. The same may be true for soul attacks.

Assaltwaffle said:
Oh boy. Another contradictory afterlife view.
@Yobo

Well mental attacks can kill without destroying the mind. Aura of despair killed the trolls out of sheer fright. The same may be true for soul attacks.
What trolls?

[Despair Aura V (Instant Death).]

The surging aura billowed out from Ainz.

The Trolls, Ogres and Gu went limp and collapsed like puppets whose strings had been cut, slumping to the ground.

The fallen monsters did not move. It was clear that although their bodies were still warm, the flames of their life had been utterly extinguished.

An old man's voice rang through the silent cave.

"What… what didst...thou do?"

The Naga was curled up into a ball, doing his best to stay away from Ainz. Ainz turned around and replied:

"I simply used a skill. Trolls can regenerate, but that does not immunize them to instant death attacks… honestly, you lot are worthless. I was simply thinking that rather than slaughtering you all outright, I should see what uses you might have, but since they refused to bend the knee, I decided to kill them all."

You mean this?

@Apeironaxim

Odd that it would go from terrifying the target and making them go crazy (both mental) to just non-mental instadeath.

In the game, demihuman and heteromorphic races unlocked racial skills when they reached certain levels. An Overlord like Momonga had the following skills:

Create High Tier Undead four times per day, Create Mid Tier Undead twelve times per day, Create Low Tier Undead twenty times per day, Negative Energy Touch, Despair Aura V (instant death), Negative Protection, Dark Soul, Black Halo, Undead Blessing, Unholy Protection, Wisdom of Darkness, Speak Evil Tongues, Ability Damage IV, Piercing Damage Resistance V, Slashing Damage Resistance V, Turn Resistance III, High Tier Physical Immunity III, High Tier Magic Immunity III, Cold, Acid, and Electrical Immunity, as well as Arcane Vision/See Invisibility.

iirc, the Overlord class is meant as the ruler of death or something along those lines, and so Ainz seems to gain the final Despair Aura effect by becoming an Overlord, which causes Instant Death

@Apeironaxim

Well I'm not saying it isn't an instakill, I'm saying why it's an instakill. It could be a mentally-invoked instadeath.

I mean, it just has Instant Death in the parentheses, nothing special, and also isn't mentioned to work/be any different than the other Instant Death spells and effects

While I can see the line of thinking, I do think it's just regular instant death, and not a specific mental variant

I'm not sure which aspect baffles me the most

Losing levels as you die and essentially supported in-game racism are definitely up there though

I think the world items being able to literally alter game function is probably the biggest one.

That or Longius. Slap that puppy on a fodder account you just made, run up to the opposing clan leader, delete him along with your fodder account. You lose nearly nothing and he loses several hundred to several thousand hours of work.

Also, with 6,000 spells, you almost couldn't memorize them all. I don't know the full function of every League of Legends spell, and there are less than 1,000 of those.

To top it off, if you really want evidence that YGGDRASIL was a broken and probably dying game, look at the guild of Ainz Ooal Gown. They have multiple role-players. Players who take worthless perks and skill paths because they want to be in-character. If you know anything about competitive scenes, you know that anything but the highest efficiency is absolutely scoffed at. In RuneScape if you aren't perfectly specced down to single levels and items, you're probably going to be made fun of and certainly won't get into the highest ranked clan in the entire game. It's just nuts.

I mean, if Runescape had items that legit just bootycalled the devs to change the entire game system I wouldn't be surprised if the highest ranked players were roleplayers.

Roleplaying seems to have its advantages. Ainz got Eclipse just because he went all in with the undead necromancer type. Ulbert got World Disaster similarly iirc.

Although I will say YGDRASIL's system is not supposed to be a typical video game system. If you look at it more closely it resembles tabletop role-playing games like Pathfinder and DnD. This sort of makes sense as the author wrote the series about his old DnD group originally but wrote it as a video game since it was probably an easier transition for Ainz to be transported into the world.

Part of it was that the system was so complex it would probably have a lot more espionage and spy shenanigans, like Ainz said. Roleplayers probably could fill a nice charisma niche, find more useful paths like Eclipse, or manage shenanigans like Ainz did. Yggdrasil was closer to a actual fantasy world then a game, which is probably why it was so screwed up.

TBH, Yggdrasil would probably be a lot more playable then most games I've played, considering if Ainz Ooal Gown is anything to go by you don't have adhere to the meta-game or anti-meta scum tactics.

But in any game a meta will arise if it's playes seriously. If the game doesn't have a meta that can only mean it's so chaotic that a true meta is too unmanageable to have. There are probably some guys walking around that are so absurdly strong from some broken spell/skill combo that even Ainz would get roflstomped.

I mean, maybe, but I doubt those guys would go unnoticed. It seems to me like it's more of a match up of types, where people who stomp people can stomp people who stomped them. And besides, Nazarick already has their fair share of those. Ainz isn't exactly a good player.

That and the game-changing ones are just "why".

You could use Five Elements Overcoming to make Super tier magic have zero cool down and zero cast time.

You could use Ouroboros to make a high tier location inaccessible to anyone not in your guild. If you want the drops from it, you have to go through that clan. They could charge obscene amounts of money for those top tier rare items since literally no one else could farm them.

Back