• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece: Earthquake Calculations Disucssion (Calc Group Member Only).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for reopening this thread out of the blue, especially since you guys already discussed this CRT without my knowledge. I take fault and I sincerely apologize for my lack of presence.

But I've noticed that many of my statements above have been reverted to absolute shit when what I've stated was completely ignored, especially the many calcs and canon showings and the values of the currently accepted height of marineford that was used in the most recent calculation.

Not including the fact that the practice that we've taken for the original calcs has been ignored.

I've noticed things that could make the new calc much more accurate, which consists of values of characters compared to the buildings and sizes shown, or the many showings of things that have been contradicted in this calculation, and so on.

I also humbly ask that I don't get a single "I agree with King", because the many who have "agreed with King" have not brought up what they agreed to in the end results of the thread where it was rushed. If you troll I will delete your comment, because this is a serious matter that has been going on for months, and I refuse to entertain trolling right now.

I thank M3X for doing the calculations even though he wasn't required to, and I applaud your search for accuracy, like in the last thread where you noted our issue with perspective of the height of the Tsunamis. Because of your help, I will attempt to look at the calculation and see what needs to be done. I'll put it in a sandbox and blog it when the time is right. I ask that not a soul touch my sandbox.

I request no badmouthing of the calcer is brought up in this thread because of the obvious accident that was done, because the last time that happened, the thread was closed prematurely and nothing was done.

And because of the argument that me and M3X had above, I will now use the minimal amount of pixel scaling which would consist of a maximum of 2 pages, 1 is the measurements and 1 is the feat.

The bottom half of the building in Marineford is at least 180 meters tall.
From every showing that we have been given, the width of the building of Marineford has been higher than the height of the lower half of the building.

Because of Sanjuan Wolf's Max Height which was smaller than the lower half of the Marineford, the width of the building should be at least 180 meters wide.

It was calced to be 226.000702706m, which is consistent with the height.
But then I used the same exact frame and I calculated the height of the lower half of Marineford to be ~ 70 meters via using Oars' scaling. Almost 1/3rd of what I said the minimum should be.

unknown.png

M3X's Marineford Bay Diameter: 359.95479374 m
M3X's Marineford Bay Diameter: 306.9 px
Marineford Lower Half Height: 62.3 px
Marineford Lower Half Height: 73.070002119178 m

Contradicts my point.

Every calcer who measures pixels will get a different, yet similar, amount of pixels, so mine might be a little off.
It is damn near impossible to calculate the amount of pixels here and get anything that's far from this size.

73 meters goes directly against what I stated in the thread.

Another issue is with the width of the ships in the same exact picture given.

I lowballed the calculation and chose the largest ship in the frame (the Moby Dick) and compared it to the width of the building.
unknown.png

Moby Dick: 14.3 px
Moby Dick Lowballed Width: 39 m
Marineford Building Width: 112.6 px
Marineford Building Width: 307.09090909091 m

Contradicts my point.

I quote Calaca in one of the original calculations for the feat.
As you can see, the distance between the camera and Marineford in both pics is roughly similar, tho in the second one (the one I'm using) you can notice the tsunami is way taller. This happened after the shot used by the original calc, so it makes sense that the tsunami grew larger.
And from what we see in the new calculation, the original picture, the smaller one, was used to calc the feat. So the feat was lowballed. I take fault since I noticed this calc and looked at it for a good amount of time without recognizing the picture was different.

Migue's formula is meant to calculate the height of the Tsunami to find the magnitude. Although his calculation is correct, it is lowballed, and we can work off of it better when we are shown the max height.

Like I said before

Sanjuan Wolf​

Via this calc comparing Sanjuan Wolf's 180m size to the entire Marineford, we get a 364.035874439 building, which is larger than the size of the bay that he calced.
And I even explained in the first Kaishin thread that that size was lowballed because Sanjuan Wolf was smaller than a broken Marineford building that has elevation he could've stood on.
And the current Shima Yurashi Tsunami calc, which took more pixelscaling attempts to find the height, has the height of the castle at 251.571610545 meters tall, which is smaller than the calculation that got the height of the Marineford building at less steps.

Not including that we can't even see the bottom of Marineford in the calculation there, which is why in my Shima Yurashi calculation I used the top half of Marineford since I couldn't find the end of the bottom of Marineford. This calculation shared my mistake.

I will calculate the feats using far less pixelscaling and less pages to try and find a result that worked for my issues with the calculations.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
A question @Migue79, sorry to bother you.

You said in the other thread.
So, unless there is context that points to actually multiple Earthquakes being produced that I am not shown (or completely forgot xd), one doesn't have to do what you suggested.
With WB's original feat, he produced 2 earthquakes. 1 hand each.

I've calculated the yield of each Tsunami.

Should I add them together since they were from 2 different quakes?

A question @Migue79, sorry to bother you.

You said in the other thread.

With WB's original feat, he produced 2 earthquakes. 1 hand each.

I've calculated the yield of each Tsunami.

Should I add them together since they were from 2 different quakes?
Mmm... Theoretically, if there were 2 epicenters produced at the same time from 1 attack and they produce their own tsunamis each, then yes. You could add them.

Though I'm not sure if that's the case in your scan there. Couldn't the lower mid-right panel on the left page be referring to the other wave we see rather than an actual other seaquake being produced? Remember one seaquake can produce multiple tsunamis.

Mmm... Theoretically, if there were 2 epicenters produced at the same time from 1 attack and they produce their own tsunamis each, then yes. You could add them.

Though I'm not sure if that's the case in your scan there. Couldn't the lower mid-right panel on the left page be referring to the other wave we see rather than an actual other seaquake being produced? Remember one seaquake can produce multiple tsunamis.
Which is true, but each crack from WB produces one earthquake, which is why there was an earthquake on each side that he cracked the air

Which is true, but each crack from WB produces one earthquake, which is why there was an earthquake on each side that he cracked the air
Still trying to wrap my head around cracking air doing weird shit lol

Anywho, I forgot that detail. Also, is it just me or is he producing the crack on the right before the crack on the left as he’s swinging his arms?

Still trying to wrap my head around cracking air doing weird shit lol
When I tell you it makes no sense lmao
Anywho, I forgot that detail. Also, is it just me or is he producing the crack on the right before the crack on the left as he’s swinging his arms?
Looks like he made the left one first, which is why the Tsunami on the left pops up first

Calculate what?
Basically in the last feat, Blackbeard (the guy who did the feat) sent a Tsunami from Marineford (where he's at when he does the feat) all the way to a distant island with the technique he did at the end.

I tried to do it here, but I messed up since I calced it being formed at the distant island (Sabaody) instead of where it was actually formed (Marineford).

Ah.

I can probs help with that tomorrow. It’s late af for me rn so… Yeah.
It's about to hit 11 for me so yeah makes sense, thanks btw!

The calc was blogged and Migue evaluated it (thanks Migue), I'll wait until tomorrow until I input it into the profiles. I'll leave this thread open in case anything needs to happen before I close it again.

Most likely we'll have to make a thread for scaling. I can handle that.

Thanks everyone!

Don't we need to discuss it first before you add it in to the profiles? This new version still means we have multiple versions of the calcs to pick from.

EDIT: I'm still more in favor of some of the scaling images used in M3X's version for some of the feats.

Don't we need to discuss it first before you add it in to the profiles? This new version still means we have multiple versions of the calcs to pick from.
Oh yeah, we can discuss that, but I've already brought up the consistency issues with the other calculation and I've fixed them in mine.
EDIT: I'm still more in favor of some of the scaling images used in M3X's version for some of the feats.
The picture I used in the first calculation is the clearest shot we have of Marineford. It's actually ridiculously straight and it has the most detail, far better to use for the dimensions of the building than any other.

The picture for the Tsunami is the one that we've been using for a while since the other one was lowballed.

The picture I used in the second calculation is the ship closest to the tsunami. As we can see, the whole thing is at an angle, so using Marineford is ehh.

The picture I used in the third calculation is the picture of the feat using the pixel scaling of the first.

Basically, the Marineford Top Half uses the clearest, most detailed, and most straight ahead picture of Marineford.
The other one uses a ship close to the Tsunami.

Last edited:
I also prefer the shot I used for Whitebeard's double tsunami feats. Not that it matters, it's just a way better shot.

The issues this panel you used has is: Perspective is completely warped for vertical lines when measuring Marineford. Horizontal lines are less affected by this, and should be used.

87px = 180m
134px = 277.24137931m
screenshot.217.jpg

236px = 277.24137931m
473.56px = 556.315371127m
screenshot.218.jpg

1.5667 x Log(556.315371127) + 7.0781 + (-4.9 + 4.7)/1.5 = 11.245861171

Energy: 4.664357e+21 Joules or 1.11480 Teraton

I know I'm not a calc group member, but I have an issue with the current calculation.

For some reason, MX3 went an extra step to calculate the Marineford's calc. We already have an accepted size for Marineford.

Going Boat>Bay>Tower is not necessary. We have clear, 2D images to do so more accurately. Calculating the bay when we already have an accepted size for the island itself is not needed whatsoever.

Marineford = 851px

Castle = 179px

Width = (179/851)*2178.81506975 = 458.293651569m

The pixelscaling for the Tsunami is also flawed, not using the actual peak of it to measure it's height.

Castle = 376px

Tsumami = (854/376)*458.293651569m = 1040.91164479m

Now,

1.5667 * Log(1040.91164479) + 7.0781 = 11.8054823055

11.8054823055 + (-4.9 + 4.7)/1.5 = 11.6721489722

That's 2.033403e+22 Joules or 4,86 Teratons of TNT (Small Country Level) for each Tsunami

The values should be updated, plus, the final result for the first feat should be multiplied by 2, as Whitebeard makes two Tsunamis from the Earthquake, not one. If the amount of energy calculated on the blog were to be the total from Whitebeard's quake, both Tsunamis would have HALF the size they currently have. Either multiply the result by two, or you make another calc for the Tsunami on the left and add both together.

The total energy is 9.72 Teratons of TNT (Country Level)

EDIT: Multiplying the results for the number of waves created is also true for Feat 2, and 3. He did multiple waves with the same quake, you shouldn't use the energy of just one as a final result.

Last edited:
Dude, if you want to comment, just ask me or Damage lol, don't need to create a new thread. Or just go and comment, since it's a helpful comment.

The issues this panel you used has is: Perspective is completely warped for vertical lines when measuring Marineford. Horizontal lines are less affected by this, and should be used.

87px = 180m
134px = 277.24137931m
screenshot.217.jpg

236px = 277.24137931m
473.56px = 556.315371127m
screenshot.218.jpg

1.5667 x Log(556.315371127) + 7.0781 + (-4.9 + 4.7)/1.5 = 11.245861171

Energy: 4.664357e+21 Joules or 1.11480 Teraton
Question, how come you chose back there for the line? It looks like the part of the Tsunami that was reaching the back of the island.

Also again, this isn't the peak of the Tsunami, and the angle isn't that bad to where the size we see is messed up.

Heck, look at the middle ship, roughly the same

Question, how come you chose back there for the line? It looks like the part of the Tsunami that was reaching the back of the island.
What do you mean by this?
Also again, this isn't the peak of the Tsunami, and the angle isn't that bad to where the size we see is messed up.
Yeah I know, and the angle is still an issue here. Using the wave closest to the Marineford is more accurate.

Dude, if you want to comment, just ask me or Damage lol, don't need to create a new thread. Or just go and comment, since it's a helpful comment.
I had no idea, I'm sorry lmao

anyway, I already gave my thoughts and complaints on the current calculation, I will refrain from comment further unless it's asked of me.

Your blue line is in the back than in the middle
Wait, you meant that I should use the peak, and not the part that is close to Marineford?
I'm referring to the scan, the scan that is used to calc isn't the peak of the Tsunami
Better than using a completely warped scan with an awful angle to scale. Sorry dude, but that's a way better scan to use.

Wait, you meant that I should use the peak, and not the part that is close to Marineford?
The issue is that the angle of it falls under where further things are smaller
Where you actually got it isn't close to marineford, it's behind it, shown when we see the Tsunami frozen and part of it is behind it.

Closer to the middle, even without that huge piece peaking upwards, is more accurate.
Better than using a completely warped scan with an awful angle to scale. Sorry dude, but that's a way better scan to use.
It doesn't look that bad to me.

The height is consistent although the width is ridiculous cause of the curved lines, but that's from the sea being curved. Using the sea level to the Tsunami peak (like I did) for that one looks best

The issue is that the angle of it falls under where further things are smaller
Where you actually got it isn't close to marineford, it's behind it, shown when we see the Tsunami frozen and part of it is behind it.

Closer to the middle, even without that huge piece peaking upwards, is more accurate.
Can you prove the part I scaled is behind, please?
It doesn't look that bad to me.

The height is consistent although the width is ridiculous cause of the curved lines, but that's from the sea being curved. Using the sea level to the Tsunami peak (like I did) for that one looks best
Well, it looks that bad for me, for Damage and I'm pretty sure different CGM would think the same. This is why I'm just letting them decide that, because I've showed all my points.

Can you prove the part I scaled is behind, please?
Sorry for not sending scans
0553-003.png

Behind Marineford
Well, it looks that bad for me, for Damage and I'm pretty sure different CGM would think the same. This is why I'm just letting them decide that, because I've showed all my points.
Not for me personally, and that picture was originally what was used for the calc before it was recalced. So idk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back