• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece: Earthquake Calculations Disucssion (Calc Group Member Only).

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3X_2.0

VS Battles
Retired
Recently I recalced some One Piece feats and created a thread, it didn't go very well because of IRL issues. Now that I have time to work, and got some help from @Damage3245, I am able to create a better thread with better calculations. The thread, as you may know reading the title, is about the earthquake calculations.

The calculation in question is this
one.

Currently, the accepted calc for Marineford's size is this
one. Issue is that the method uses a 103m wide ship, wich is realistically not correct just by looking at the image itself, since in the same angle you can see windows and builinds, and I'm pretty sure they don't have 100m+ in size. Another issue are the steps, you can see in the calc that it uses 3 steps to reach Marineford size, while I use only 1 to find the inner bay, wich is enough to calculate the feats.

Now in the same thread, it's argued that Oars size is inconsistent and it's preferable to use the ship. But... Oars has a stated size. Oars will be inconsistent if you compare all the panels he is in and calculate his size pixel by pixel. This isn't a videogame where the character model is the same all over the game and scenes. This is a human being drawing a giant character across several chapters. And since we are discussing this, I want to point out that the size of Whitebeard's ship is wanked as hell. First you should ask yourself why the calc for Whitebeard's ship first finds the height and after then, the width, if you have 3 clear shots of Whitebeard + width of the ship? And it's clear that the ship isn't 103.99m wide, for ducks sake.

For the sake of the argument, let's pixelscale them.

Whitebeard: 43px = 6.66m
Ship width: 253px = 39.1855813953m
screenshot.172.jpg

Whitebeard: 49px = 6.66m
Width: 709px = 96.366122449m
screenshot.173.jpg

Whitebeard: 42px = 6.66m
Width: 515px = 81.6642857143m
screenshot.174.jpg

Sure, the angle is a bit off in the first two, but it doesn't really matter, this is enough to show that the ship isn't even close to what is calculated. And if you are not convinced to use Oars, sure, try to use Whitebeards ship and justify why it's better than Oars, but let's firt discuss wich panel to use to not get 103m.

Proposal is, if this get accepted, change 6-B to High 6-C and change all the calculations as well.

The first two images are wonky perspectives, but the third one of the ship is perfectly fine, I don't see why it can't be used.

Yeah I read that lol, I guess what I'm saying is why can't we update the 100m boat calc with the 82m boat? Or is that what you did.

I'm not saying we can't, I even said that if yall want to use tht, then it must be better than Oars, since using the ship adds one more pixelscaling step.

Yeah, M3X's version uses less steps and a stated size, now I get art inconsistency is a thing, but both methods can be argued to have art inconsistencies, so that isn't a decider factor here, the fact that M3X's version uses less steps and a stated size, I have to agree with using his version

Unless there is a counter argument as to why KingTempest's version should be used instead

Mitch, Damage, and Therefir liked Mitch's comment so I assume he agree with him (need a confirmation tho). Keep in mind that this is a CGM Thread so normal member gtfo lmao please don't comment.

I'm surprised nobody called me or mentioned my name when it's my calculation for Marineford's size that's being referred to, which affects several calcs, but nevertheless whatever.

The OP has brought up valid points and I'd be willing to use one of the ends calced in the OP that doesn't consider that 39 m calc, but I still see issues.

Oars III's Size​

Now in the same thread, it's argued that Oars size is inconsistent and it's preferable to use the ship. But... Oars has a stated size. Oars will be inconsistent if you compare all the panels he is in and calculate his size pixel by pixel.
"Oars has a stated size" Oars has an inconsistently stated size.
Oda gave Oars Jr. 4 different sizes.

He said he was half the size of Oars who was 39 meters tall, which would've made him 19.5 meters tall.
He said he was half the size of Oars who was 67 meters tall, which would've made him 33.5 meters tall.
He then said in the Vivre Cards he was 38 meters.
Then he changed it to 60 meters in the most recent Vivre Card.

Oda can't even choose the size of the creature and yall wanna use him as the measuring stick, saying he's more consistent than a ship with a 10 meter margin of error.

Anyways.

The Moby Dick's Inconsistencies​

The first calc should just be thrown out immediately.

A 39 meter ship? That's smaller than the official width of the Thousand Sunny, which is ridiculously smaller than the Moby Dick.

The Moby Dick is far larger than the Red Force which dwarfs the Palm Trees on the ship.

Sanjuan Wolf​

Via this calc comparing Sanjuan Wolf's 180m size to the entire Marineford, we get a 364.035874439 building, which is larger than the size of the bay that he calced.
And I even explained in the first Kaishin thread that that size was lowballed because Sanjuan Wolf was smaller than a broken Marineford building that has elevation he could've stood on.

We see in every visual that shows the bay and marineford together that the bay's diameter > Marineford's height.

Things In Your Panel​

I used your panel for this.
Oars III: 60 m
Oars III: 63 px
Moby Dick Width: 22 px
Moby Dick Width: 23.1 m
Moby Dick Length: 48 px
Moby Dick Length: 45.714285714286 m

unknown.png

Moby Dick smaller than the Sunny. Funny.

Not including the fact that this picture shows the Moby Dick smaller than every marine ship on the page, even though it's shown in the other panels that it's far larger. Bigger than the Red Force, which is shown to be larger than Marine ships, but here it's smaller.

The Size of the Bay You Calculated​

In another panel I found that shows Marineford Bay compared to the giants, the town, and everything else.
unknown.png

We can't even see the entire bay in this picture, and the dimension of the entire screen is 1274 px wide.

Giants: 15m
Giants: 41 px
Marineford Bay Width: Over 1274 px
Marineford Building: Over 466.09756097561 m

Larger than your bay.

Things You've Calced Compared to Other Showings​

The battleships are smaller than the Moby Dick.
Via your picture and my math I got 45 meters long for the Moby Dick. Besides the fact that this is smaller than the Sunny, let's compare it to others.

unknown.png
unknown.png

Saul's Height: 19.5
Saul's Height: 1380
Saul's Width: 558
Saul's Width: 7.8847826086957 m

Saul Width: 7.8847826086957
Saul Width: 46 px
Battleship Width: 296.9 px
Battleship Width: 50.891129489603 m
Battleship Length Slanted (Which means it's smaller): 680.3 px
Battleship Length Slanted: 116.60907844991 m

"Oh but you took 2 steps" you can headcanon Saul's height there and this'd probably be divided by 2 or by 2.5. It's still larger than the size calced for the Moby Dick in that frame.

My Argument​

I don't know why this picture is just dramatically smaller than everything else shown in the manga, and I don't know why we're using Little Oars Jr.' height, but what I do know is that the picture shown in the calc above just lowballs everything and it's dramatically incorrect.

The OP has brought up valid points and I'd be willing to use one of the ends calced in the OP that doesn't consider that 39 m calc, but I still see issues.

From what I understand none of the calculations themselves actually use the 39 m value.

EDIT: Never mind, I think I misunderstood what you said.

"Oars has a stated size" Oars has an inconsistently stated size.
Oda gave Oars Jr. 4 different sizes.

He said he was half the size of Oars who was 39 meters tall, which would've made him 19.5 meters tall.
He said he was half the size of Oars who was 67 meters tall, which would've made him 33.5 meters tall.
He then said in the Vivre Cards he was 38 meters.
Then he changed it to 60 meters in the most recent Vivre Card.

Oda can't even choose the size of the creature and yall wanna use him as the measuring stick, saying he's more consistent than a ship with a 10 meter margin of error.

Anyways.
And that doesn't make 60m invalid. You yourself presented that in more recent data, the height given to him is 60 meters. If this is the most recent data, after all these inconsistencies, then we will use 60 meters. The same thing happens with Beefcake in One Punch Man. Different sizes in literally every scene he's present, and yet we use the official size.

"Ah, but various sizes were given"

Yes, and we will use the most recent data. That's easy, saying that other sizes were given and then showing the most recent data is practically nullifying the argument itself.

The Moby Dick's Inconsistencies​

The first calc should just be thrown out immediately.

A 39 meter ship? That's smaller than the official width of the Thousand Sunny, which is ridiculously smaller than the Moby Dick.

The Moby Dick is far larger than the Red Force which dwarfs the Palm Trees on the ship.
You're simply focusing on something irrelevant and ignoring what matters most. It doesn't matter if it's 39 meters, or if you think it's inconsistent. I've already said that the angle is kind of bad and that we're not going to use that, and you've limited that part of your argument to just the first calculation. Why? Is the other two different pixelscaling not appearing?

Now the different pixelscaling. Showing different ways isn't proof that a pixelscaling is wrong, it just proves that there are different methods. And even with different methods, you need to explain you X or Y is better.

Battleship: 58px = 116.60907844991m
Bay: 435.62px = 875.814599213m
screenshot.178.jpg

Battleship: 21px = 50.891129489603m
Bay: 259px = 627.657263705m
screenshot.179.jpg

Sengoku: 218px = 2.78m
Platform: 98px = 1.24972477064m
screenshot.180.jpg

Platform: 3px = 1.24972477064m
Bay: 1244px = 518.219204893m
unknown_1.png

Sengoku: 39px = 2.78m
Platform: 249px = 17.7492307692m
screenshot.181.jpg

Platform: 8px = 17.7492307692m
Bay: 259px = 574.631346153m
screenshot.184.jpg

Platform: 26px = 17.7492307692m
Bay: 416px = 283.987692308m
screenshot.183.jpg

I can spent my day showing you how this can go as big as 1000m and as small as 200m, in the end, showing different pixelscaling methods to calc the same thing doesn't mine (or doesn't make yours) wrong, you need to explain why it's better, or why it's not.

I'm waiting a better argument.

And that doesn't make 60m invalid. You yourself presented that in more recent data, the height given to him is 60 meters. If this is the most recent data, after all these inconsistencies, then we will use 60 meters. The same thing happens with Beefcake in One Punch Man. Different sizes in literally every scene he's present, and yet we use the official size.

"Ah, but various sizes were given"

Yes, and we will use the most recent data. That's easy, saying that other sizes were given and then showing the most recent data is practically nullifying the argument itself.
So you just didn't read my argument?
Noted.

I said that even the author is inconsistent with the sizes, and you're trying to say that the giant, which is inconsistent with given values of height, is more consistent than what's given in the manga.
You're simply focusing on something irrelevant and ignoring what matters most. It doesn't matter if it's 39 meters, or if you think it's inconsistent. I've already said that the angle is kind of bad and that we're not going to use that, and you've limited that part of your argument to just the first calculation. Why? Is the other two different pixelscaling not appearing?
Did you not notice where I said that your calculation makes the ship smaller than the main cast's ship?
Which is canonically smaller than the ship that is in the frame that you wish to use the bay?

In your picture you used in your calculation.

Your argument was "hurr durr there's no way this can be 103 meters because I calced 3 other widths of the Moby Dick's width and 1 got 39, another got 96, and another got 81". You calculated one with 96 and said 103 is wank, 7 meters off is wank. Come on now.
Now the different pixelscaling. Showing different ways isn't proof that a pixelscaling is wrong, it just proves that there are different methods. And even with different methods, you need to explain you X or Y is better.

Battleship: 58px = 116.60907844991m
Bay: 435.62px = 875.814599213m
screenshot.178.jpg

screenshot.179.jpg

Sengoku: 218px = 2.78m
Platform: 98px = 1.24972477064m
screenshot.180.jpg

Platform: 3px = 1.24972477064m
Bay: 1244px = 518.219204893m
unknown_1.png

Sengoku: 39px = 2.78m
Platform: 249px = 17.7492307692m
screenshot.181.jpg

Platform: 8px = 17.7492307692m
Bay: 259px = 574.631346153m
screenshot.184.jpg

Platform: 26px = 17.7492307692m
Bay: 416px = 283.987692308m
screenshot.183.jpg

I can spent my day showing you how this can go as big as 1000m and as small as 200m, in the end, showing different pixelscaling methods to calc the same thing doesn't mine (or doesn't make yours) wrong, you need to explain why it's better, or why it's not.
Here's a hint.

Compare all of those to a ship on the page.

Anyone there which brings a ship that is smaller than 56 meters in height or 39 meters in width should be removed and not noted or used for the calculation.
I'm waiting a better argument.
Same.

Last edited:
So you just didn't read my argument?
Noted.
And are you going to pretend to be stupid? "Pretend", that's it. I've reaad all your thing a lot of times and everything you said was "not even the author knows his size" and after that you said the most recent information is 60 meters. Then it's 60 meters unless something new comes and contradicts it.
I said that even the author is inconsistent with the sizes, and you're trying to say that the giant, which is inconsistent with given values of height, is more consistent than what's given in the manga.
Read above. The most recent information about his size prevails.
Did you not notice where I said that your calculation makes the ship smaller than the main cast's ship?
Which is canonically smaller than the ship that is in the frame that you wish to use the bay?
Dude, pay attention of what I will say here, please.

A calculation will never be consistent with all the sizes on the scan. Don't expect Whitebeard's ship to have the size you want in this scene when it's irrelevant. Don't expect the size of the battleships to be exactly 116.60907844991m in length and 50.891129489603m wide, as you calculated previously and ask for a perfect proportion between the pixels and saay that "Well, this calc doesn't show Whitebeard's to be the size it's expected to be (even tho the size of it is irrelevant) then it's not correct". This will never happen.
Your argument was "hurr durr there's no way this can be 103 meters because I calced 3 other widths of the Moby Dick's width and 1 got 39, another got 96, and another got 81". You calculated one with 96 and said 103 is wank, 7 meters off is wank. Come on now.
A proof that you didn't read what I wrote. Let me quote.
Currently, the accepted calc for Marineford's size is this one. Issue is that the method uses a 103m wide ship, wich is realistically not correct just by looking at the image itself, since in the same angle you can see windows and builinds, and I'm pretty sure they don't have 100m+ in size.
And since we are discussing this, I want to point out that the size of Whitebeard's ship is wanked as hell. First you should ask yourself why the calc for Whitebeard's ship first finds the height and after then, the width, if you have 3 clear shots of Whitebeard + width of the ship? And it's clear that the ship isn't 103.99m wide, for ducks sake.
Your Whitebeard ship calc is wanked. There is no reason to calc two steps to find the width other than wanting a bigger ship. I never said that your calc was wrong because I calced 3 more and they are different, I said that it was wrong because of steps and the draw itself doesn't support that. You this argument from someone's elese head.
Here's a hint.

Compare all of those to a ship on the page.

Anyone there which brings a ship that is smaller than 56 meters in length or 39 meters in width should be removed and not noted or used for the calculation.
And here goes another hint from someone who actually knows how to calc: Don't expect size consistency for everything in one panel. Another one: Explain why X or Y pixelscaling is better than the one you're discussing. I know it can be bigger and smaller, I even showed that. But which is best? It doesn't matter if you can get a bigger one, because I can get a smaller one. What matters is wich is better to use.

Arguing further will not change anything, given his replies. I ask all the CGM to just evaluate.

Ok, so here's a perfect solution.

There are 3 canon things in the entire manga that correlate with this.

The bottom half of the building in Marineford is at least 180 meters tall.
Every ship in that frame is far over 56 meters high and 39 meters wide.
Whitebeard does not take up the majority of the front of his ship.

Whatever calculation is consistent with those 3 facts gets my vote.

The bottom half of the building in Marineford is at least 180 meters tall.
Sure then.

Bottom part is 286px and 180m.

I got the wave to have 439.63px, 276.69020979m. (For reference, mine is 241.440715673m).

1.5667 * Log(276.69020979) + 7.0781 = 10.9039716749

Energy: 342.26 Gigatons.

Sure then.

Bottom part is 286px and 180m.

I got the wave to have 439.63px, 276.69020979m. (For reference, mine is 241.440715673m).

1.5667 * Log(276.69020979) + 7.0781 = 10.9039716749

Energy: 342.26 Gigatons.
Thank you, so this is the lowest possible choice that can be decided from the calc, so if we find nothing else, this will work.

so this is the lowest possible choice that can be decided from the calc
Maybe.
Every ship in that frame is far over 56 meters high and 39 meters wide.
screenshot.179.jpg
From my calc, take a look.

Inner Bay: 370.15px = 627.657263705m

The castle is 133.28px, meaning 226.000702706m

Castle: 236px = 226.000702706m

Tsunami: 439.63px = 421.002919198m

1.5667 * Log(421.002919198) + 7.0781 = 11.1895674775 = 917.82 GT

Tier doesn't change besides the +, and I'm only calcing this one because it's the higher feat no matter the size of the stuff. This using 50.89m wide ships against your 39m.

I agree with King, his perspective seems to be a lot more sound. Also let's not forget that the current feats are low balls since none of them take Whitebeard affecting the oceanic crust to lift the body of water surrounding Marineford into consideration.

Bump indeed.
Maybe.

From my calc, take a look.

Inner Bay: 370.15px = 627.657263705m

The castle is 133.28px, meaning 226.000702706m

Castle: 236px = 226.000702706m

Tsunami: 439.63px = 421.002919198m

1.5667 * Log(421.002919198) + 7.0781 = 11.1895674775 = 917.82 GT

Tier doesn't change besides the +, and I'm only calcing this one because it's the higher feat no matter the size of the stuff. This using 50.89m wide ships against your 39m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back