• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
It doesn't really make much sense if you're arguing that the Root is apophatic.
It actually does. But to clarify, Apophatic is the western/christian equivalent of what she would be to eastern/taoism. The cultural foundation is different, they aren't the same, even if equivalent. "She" is Wuji.

She's then a quantifiable part of something that's apophatic and downscales from that? That's a bit weird.
Not really. She's not quantifiable, to begin with. And, as she said herself, as the whole is "nothingness", a part or the whole are literally indistinguishable. And it wouldn't even make sense to say she downscales, because she is the only appearance of "The Root" ever, what would she downscale from, herself?

If you only see a part of nothingness, what would it be? Nothingness. Simple as that. Void Shiki is a part of nothingness as she is still the whole of Nothingness. Just because we see only a part of nothingness(Void Shiki) doesnt mean she's disconnected from the whole Nothingness. So yeah, it doesn't disprove her being apophatic.

Last edited:
If you only see a part of nothingness, what would it be? Nothingness. Simple as that. Void Shiki is a part of nothingness as she is still the whole of Nothingness. So yeah, it doesn't disprove her being apophatic.
I would even say "part" of Nothingness is something that would make no sense, actually. Nothingness is ONE thing. All nothingness are one nothingness. The very limitation of "part", in the realm of nothingness, doesn't exist. If it had a part, it wouldn't be Nothingness.
As stated by law, emptiness is an unrestrained realm.
Free from Binary Opposition.

The problem with Apophatic and taking "she's apophatic" as a direct statement instead of a comparison is that Apophatic ultimately derives from a religious view of a God that transcends his creation (God = Creation + Something OR God > Creation). Taoism view is very much the opposite I would say, in that this "nameless thing" is immanent in the creation itself (Wuji = Creation). (Adn there would the a third type, the Kabbalah-like Immanent Transcendence, but that is even weirder than simple Immanence)

Basically, you cannot apply western/christian foundations to a work that from the very start basis itself in something else. "Kami" may be translated as God(s) but it doesn't mean it carries the same semantical baggage as the word God, for one easy example that I think is very easy to understand.

Last edited:
I would even say "part" of Nothingness is something that would make no sense, actually. Nothingness is ONE thing. All nothingness are one nothingness. The very limitation of "part", in the realm of nothingness, doesn't exist.

The problem with Apophatic and taking "she's apophatic" as a direct statement instead of a comparison is that Apophatic ultimately derives from a religious view of a God that transcends his creation (God = Creation + Something OR God > Creation). Taoism view is very much the opposite I would say, in that this "nameless thing" is immanent in the creation itself (Wuji = Creation). (Adn there would the a third type, the Kabbalah-like Immanent Transcendence, but that is even weirder than simple Immanence)

Basically, you cannot apply western/christian foundations to a work that from the very start basis itself in something else. "Kami" may be translated as God(s) but it doesn't mean it carries the same semantical baggage as the word God, for one easy example that I think is very easy to understand.
The thing is, Taoism directly references apopathic theology to its nature and even uses the very word and characteristics.

About Nothingness and Void Shik, I was merely trying to simplify it. For example, If you are in a dark maze, everywhere is dark but you can only see a section of the darkness not the wholeness of it despite the particulalr section being amomgst the wholeness of the darkness. It's the same with Void Shiki. The Shiki we see is still Nothingness as a whole but we are only seeing a certain part of it through her. So claiming that her existence contradicts negative theology because she has descriptions is wrong.

Not really. She's not quantifiable, to begin with. And, as she said herself, as the whole is "nothingness", a part or the whole are literally indistinguishable. And it wouldn't even make sense to say she downscales, because she is the only appearance of "The Root" ever, what would she downscale from, herself
I’m getting a bunch of conflicting accounts. On the one hand she doesn’t scale to the root and is only an aspect of it, and on the other she apparently does scale to it cause she is it…what the ****

I’m getting a bunch of conflicting accounts. On the one hand she doesn’t scale to the root and is only an aspect of it, and on the other she apparently does scale to it cause she is it…what the ****
She can't be an "aspect of Nothingness" in the way you are trying to use the word because that would imply Nothingness isn't Nothingness.

I gave the quote, Nothingness = free from binary opposition. Part and whole is a binary opposition. Nothingness has no parts, Nothingness is one and can only be one, unless it is smoething else because it has some type of quality.

She can't be an "aspect of Nothingness" in the way you are trying to use the word because that would imply Nothingness isn't Nothingness.
Yet Theoretical says that she is more like an avatar rather than the literal thing:

She's not the root tho? If you're an avatar of a higher dimensional being does that mean you're actually higher dimensional even when you're portrayed to be a lower dimensional avatar of that higher dimensional being?
Besides, this is fiction. It's pretty weird to say that it's illogical to be an aspect of nothingness when that isn't even remotely true to begin with, especially in a medium like this.

Yet Theoretical says that she is more like an avatar rather than the literal thing:

The word avatar is never used as far as I know.
She directly says:
- The swirl of the Root is a "place" where all causalities interlace, where all things are in potential, and therefore where nothing is whatsoever. That is my true shape. Though I am merely bound to it, I am nonetheless a part of it. And the part and the whole of a nothingness are the same, wouldn't you say?

I don't think she's apophatic at all sjes just connected to something Apopathic which leads to her scaling to be somewhat equivalent even, when she's not apopathic which is still not a contradiction to apophatic theology.

And I'm pretty sure I only said physical manifestion of it, not that she's physically "it", considering that she's in a vassel that material and not immaterial.

And I'm pretty sure I only said physical manifestion of it, not that she's physically "it", considering that she's in a vassel that material and not immaterial.
And I would add that the Root is defined by the fact it is a place of potentiality, not actuality, therefore a "physical" Root is literally a contradiction of what it says it is.

And I would add that the Root is defined by the fact it is a place of potentiality, not actuality, therefore a "physical" Root is literally a contradiction of what it says it is.
Potentiality in what sense? As in how the Taoist view Dao to be? Ever changing? I don't think that would apply to the ineffable aspect of the Root but I'll wait for you to elaborate.

I think the only contradiction here is actually assuming void shiki even with her physical aspects scales to the root, an Apopathic being can never be a "material being".

When I say physical manifestion I don't mean to say the root is physical, it's to say this being that's seemingly connected now exists in a vessel that's material and part of the material world. It appears to be more of a contradiction to assume she's the root in all aspects when she's a material being and all material things are confined by spatial and temporal limitations, so I guess the root would have limitation that would be grand but it can't be because you're providing a positive description for it being as such which is self defeating to it being "ineffable.

That's why in Tao, Dao that can be spoken a different aspect of God is distinguished from dao that cannot be spoken off because the latter is ineffable. That's why God can be said to have an aspect of wholeness but that not be a contradiction to God being ineffable because that's a different aspect of God, while the ineffable aspect of God strictly cannot be spoken off, hence when we say God is everywhere in everything we don't contradict the Ineffable aspect of God because the aspect of God that can be spoken off is not the aspect of God that cannot be spoken of which the latter is God's in his truest sense.

Potentiality in what sense? As in how the Taoist view Dao to be? Ever changing? I don't think that would apply to the ineffable aspect of the Root but I'll wait for you to elaborate.
- The swirl of the Root is a "place" where all causalities interlace, where all things are in potential, and therefore where nothing is whatsoever. That is my true shape. Though I am merely bound to it, I am nonetheless a part of it. And the part and the whole of a nothingness are the same, wouldn't you say?
You don't even have to go that far, it's literally what Void Shiki says. "Where all things are in potential", 100% potentiality. "and therefore where nothing is whatsoever", 0% actuality.

It appears to be more of a contradiction to assume she's the root in all aspects when she's a material being and all material things are confined by spatial and temporal limitations, so I guess the root would have limitation that would be grand but it can't be because you're providing a positive description for it being as such which is self defeating to it being "ineffable.
She's not, though. Void Shiki is a "personality" of the Body, she's not the body. She even says the body is a hollow notional husk.

And anything/everything is self-defeating to being ineffable. Even being called ineffable is a positive description. Apophatis is a self-defeating thesis like that. It admit that it fails, and starts from there.

...hence when we say God is everywhere in everything we don't contradict the Ineffable aspect of God because the aspect of God that can be spoken off is not the aspect of God that cannot be spoken of which the latter is God's in his truest sense.
Problem is you just gave a positive description of the ineffable part of God, as an opposite/complementary part of the part of God that can be spoken of. It therefore isn't ineffable. And that's why to use apophasis you have to begin by accepting you are failing.

Last edited:
You don't even have to go that far, it's literally what Void Shiki says. "Where all things are in potential", 100% potentiality. "and therefore where nothing is whatsoever", 0% actuality.
Where does "all things are in potential" come from I only remember her saying where everything is provided hence there is nothing, I mean ye there's nothing because it's nothingness lmao.

Also where everything is, is like the wholeless aspect of God/akashic recorded the issue here is ineffability which is seperate from that.
She's not, though. Void Shiki is a "personality" of the Body, she's not the body. She even says the body is a hollow notional husk.
I didn't say she's the body, I said if we take her to be the root hyper-literally her having a material vessels puts limits spatial and temporal limits upon her, the root is supposed to limitless atleast within the context of the nasuverse which is seems self defeating.

I also find it odd how something that's supposed to lack properties and alll attributes seemingly has "personality" now, which is another contradiction to negative theology.
And anything/everything is self-defeating to being ineffable.
It's not, in contemporary apophasis God the wholeness of God is treated as seperate from the Ineffable aspect of God.
Even being called ineffable is a positive description.
That's why we have the ineffability thesis which is invoked in the nasuverse (why the root is referred to as " ", otherwise it wouldn't have negative theology because negative theology is not negative theology and without the ineffability thesis.
Apophatis is a self-defeating thesis like that. It admit that it fails, and starts from there.
It's not, it can only be considered self-defeating to people who haven't studied it enough.
Problem is you just gave a positive description of the ineffable part of God
No.
as an opposite/complementary part of the part of God that can be spoken of. It therefore isn't ineffable
No.
And that's why to use apophasis you have to begin by accepting you are failing.
No.

I don't think she's apophatic at all sjes just connected to something Apopathic which leads to her scaling to be somewhat equivalent even, when she's not apopathic which is still not a contradiction to apophatic theology.

I mean, it kind of is a contradiction. If a non-Apophatic entity can scale, Al being downscale, to something apophatic, then that apophatic being can therefore be quantified which would be against the very meaning of apophasis

Where does "all things are in potential" come from I only remember her saying where everything is provided hence there is nothing, I mean ye there's nothing because it's nothingness lmao.
I gave the link in one of the post above. It's KNK Epilogue. Here

Also where everything is, is like the wholeless aspect of God/akashic recorded the issue here is ineffability which is seperate from that.
It's just not. The setting literally doesn't care for that thesis.
I also find it odd how something that's supposed to lack properties and alll attributes seemingly has "personality" now, which is another contradiction to negative theology.
She has always been Wuji . If you can't differentiate the analogy from the original, don't use analogies...
It's not, in contemporary apophasis God the wholeness of God is treated as seperate from the Ineffable aspect of God.
Therefore, the ineffable aspect of God is defined as the separate part. It's not so ineffable. This is simple, tautological logic. Come on.
That's why we have the ineffability thesis which is invoked in the nasuverse (why the root is referred to as " ", otherwise it wouldn't have negative theology because negative theology is not negative theology and without the ineffability thesis.
Quotes where said thesis is invoked. People have used of analogy so much that they are mistaking the analogy for the original.
It's not, it can only be considered self-defeating to people who haven't studied it enough.
You seem to think you studied it enough, but you keep defining something you say is "ineffable" without even seeing you are doing so... If it's so ineffable, the only answer you should be able to provide is absolute silence. (Which was an answer used, both in Taoism and Christianity, actually.)
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

You seem to think you studied it enough, but you keep defining something you say is "ineffable" without even seeing you are doing so... If it's so ineffable, the only answer you should be able to provide is absolute silence. (Which was an answer used, both in Taoism and Christianity, actually.)
He already addressed this though. I fail to see why you keep using this as an argument

Back