• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Metroid Prime 4: Depression

Interesting news. As for that question, I believe it was Metroid Fusion was my first game and that got me into the franchise.

Oh yeah, I also first knew about the Samus character from Smash Bros.

I first found out about it via Metroid prime hunters tournaments at a summer camp lol

A bunch of people had DSes on one day, someone had the game cart, we set up a bracket

Metroid prime hunters 1v1s would get weirdly competitive back in elementary school on the 1 day a week we could use electronics

Lol, that sounds awesome. I remember Metroid Prime 2 having a local multiplayer mode. Though no one seems to talk about it aside from it being "Another useless mode". Wonder how that would've turned out if it had tourneys back in the day

I first found out about Samus when I saw someone playing Super Metroid at a birthday party when I was, like, 5. All I knew about Samus from then on was from Smash 64 and Melee until I got Metroid Fusion, my first Metroid game. I loved Fusion. Once I got Prime 1 for Christmas I was hooked on the series.

I was 7 when I played Fusion for the first time; which was also on the same year it came out.

I have to go to work soon, but can anyone think of a list of Metroid misconceptions? For example, "The Zero Suit and Power Suit are not the same thing" and "The Power Suit is apart of Samus' body, it possesses cybernetic and organic components." I honestly don't remember there being anything that explicitly states that the Power Suit is connected to Samus cybernetically, I just assumed that's the case since, why wouldn't it be?

Are there other misconceptions that people can think about?

Those looks like good starts, but yeah; the Power Suit isn't actually technology but more like Biotech. And it's also very connected to her very essence. Other misconceptions are that "Metroid is purely a Sci-Fi verse with no supernatural or magical aspects". Which can be proven by the fact that transcending beings exist in the form of Tallon IV Chozo. And there was Magic in Metroid Prime 3.

Although, the biggest misconceptions are probably "Zebes' 960 G's being hyperbole" and "Samus & Joey's canonicity". The primary canon details clearly makes the 960 G's accurate to the lore. Plus Other M has too many references to S&J that can't be ignored. Plus I heard there was a recently released info outright confirming it's canon.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Plus I heard there was a recently released info outright confirming it's canon.
I'll need proof of that ASAP, S&J being canon would be great to have hard evidence for. The fact that S&J doesn't contradict anything and makes reference to stuff that happens later seems like it should be canon.

Also, after floating around message boards (mostly Space Battle Forums) I've seen a scan or two of guides saying that Zebes doesn't have the 960 G gravity. However, even if the "Zebes calc" is not true, Samus throwing around the Vorash and being able to perform pretty well in Nightmare's super gravity without the Gravity Suit in Other M puts her strength level in the realms of the "Zebes calc" anyway. Besides, there's PLENTY of silly stuff in Metroid like the Volt Driver not dealing that much damage to Samus in her Varia Suit, despite the Volt Driver firing multi terra watts blasts, so is a 960 G environment really so out of place?

Um, Spacebattles is infamous for downplaying Metroid. And I'm pretty sure it's the exact same thread that uses the heavily outdated/non-canon guidebook. Anyway, it still says 4.8 Trillion Teratons in Metroid Prime regardless of translations and remakes which would be the primary canon, so the 960 G's is 100% Canon. The only way to argue against that would be to assume it's the British term for Trillion; which would actually Quintillion for American version. But that would make it 960,000,000 G's which would obviously be too high since such a planet would be more like a black hole. So the 960 G's is still in play and that's not changing anytime soon.

As for the Samus and Joey stuff, this is where I heard it.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Um, Spacebattles is infamous for downplaying Metroid.
Ah. I started to get suspicious when I stumbled upon a thread where some people thought that full power Samus would have a hard time against Team RWBY.

Samus pretty much solos most of RWBY in her Zero Suit; She's Town level and Massively Hypersonic+ in comparison to the strongest students and professional hunters of RWBY being only City Block level and Hypersonic+. Although, the Maidens, Ospin, and Salem are Large Town level to Small City level, but lack the speed to keep up with Zero Suit Samus. In her Basic Power Suit, the only thing she wouldn't beat are the God Brothers; God of Light and God of Darkness. But her Legendary Suit does give her the speed to far outpace them. The God Brothers are only slightly faster than light where as Samus is over hundreds of billions of times FTL in her High 6-A and beyond keys. Though, I can safely say her Light Suit and Phazon Suit would solo the verse.

I thought of two other misconceptions.

1) "The Power Beam is a flimsy pea shooter with a pathetic range." Thanks for that ScrewAttack. While the Power Beam is the weakest of Samus' weapons, it isn't a weak weapon in its own rights. The Power Beam has been shown capable of damaging/destroying Space Pirate aircraft in Prime 3 and the backstory manga. The Power Beam has also been able to harm all sorts of powerful opponents in the Prime series such as Meta Ridley, Dark Samus, Emperor Ing and so on. I'll lump something else in, the beams that Samus can stack in the 2D games are a direct improvement to the Power Beam itself.

2) "When Samus' energy shields reach zero her Power Suit will go away and Samus will continue fighting in the Zero Suit." This is blatantly not true based on every Metroid game ever made. When Samus' shields reach zero, she dies. In Prime 1 and 2, when Samus' shields reach zero, she suffers CRITICAL ORGAN FAILURE. It seems as if every VS match I've ever seen with the exclusion of the Samus vs Master Chief DBX has Samus keep fighting in Zero Suit if her shields reach zero.

Not to mention Energy Shields is mainly game mechanics. But yeah, she like almost never gets reverted to her Zero Suit aside from Zero Mission or PIS of Other M. Also, I don't know where it comes from, but someone told me Samus should have the ability to simply respawn her Legendary Power Suit if it ever got stripped from her.

And yeah, even the basic Power Beam is at least comparable to a Nuke; which is not a weak pea shooter, but definitely nothing compared to her multitudes of planet leveling tools.

@Qui, Prime 4 will come out eventually; maybe 2020 to 2022.

Yeah, that is a good video. Even though they technically still downplayed Samus' speed given we calculated that same feat as over 10,000,000c. Plus we got another feat at over 131,000,000,000c. And it scales to all of Samus' categories of speed given she outpaced her ship with Speed Booster. And that only her Basic Legendary Power Suit.

That version of Mega Man does still have noticeably more raw power however, but if he can't hit Samus due to the speed gap, then there you go. His time stop might counter the speed gap however; but Samus could still win with Light Suit or PED Suit due to the broken levels of hax.

The video also failed to mention some equipment of Samus like the SCAN VISOR, and that Samus has two ways to heal herself, Concentration and the Crystal Flash. There was no prep time so X shouldn't have his E-Tanks filled up, and if Samus can get off a heal then that could turn the fight around. Samus does have her precognition, X doesn't have anything like that I think. Samus has several Ice Weapons so I figure she could get off Concentration at least once. Although, in the fight animation itself X seemed much more skilled with the Z Saber than I believe he is.

Back