• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Metroid Prime 4: Depression

At the end of the first phase of the Proteus Ridley battle, Ridley tries to fly off with the Baby Metroid but Samus is able to run as fast as him and grab onto his tail (starts at 0:39 in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvX9-hgfep4). Does the fact that Samus can keep up with Ridley mean she can run super fast without Speed Booster? I ask because Ridley does LOOK like he was flying very fast, but who knows if he was actually moving as fast as he looked.

I'd love to know how fast Samus can run without Speed Booster. Not sure if there's a way to calculate that, like plug how many steps Samus can make in a minute or something plus how far Samus is able to launch herself forward with every step (considering Samus can casually jump over 2 stories tall that's something to think about). Considering Samus can supposedly explore and entire planet in an afternoon, I figure Samus can at least out run a car on foot or something. The Speed Booster in most Metroid games seems to double Samus' running speed, but Samus' base running speed on foot being 300+ mph seems silly...

She is already Massively FTL+ with or without Speed Booster at this point in time. Ridley was shortly after the battle able to fly from SR-388 to Ceres space station in a very short timeframe.

Probably when Bandai Namco Signapore "accidently" leaks the stuff they were working on before having their Metroid Prime 4 project canned.

I don't expect anything Prime related til 2021 or 2022 New 2-D Metroid is probably the real best bet.

It vaguely references Phantoon has being a possible Tier 2 or above character or something along those lines. And 2D or 2.5D Metroid game still sounds awesome; and a direct sequel to Fusion would be awesome for sure.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
It vaguely references Phantoon has being a possible Tier 2 or above character or something along those lines. And 2D or 2.5D Metroid game still sounds awesome; and a direct sequel to Fusion would be awesome for sure.
If a Fusion remake is made, I guarantee direct references to Other M and its story will be made to force some sort of impression that Other M's story isn't completely superfluous. I'm of the opinion that Fusion and/or Super will be remade eventually, but Mercury Steam originally pitched a Fusion remake, so I'm not sure why Sakamoto turned it down.

I like the idea in Other M that Phantoon is some sort of Eldritch horror and the giant boss from Other M was just Phantoon's head. Another mystery that will never be solved and will probably never be brought up again either. However, Phantoon's art gallery picture stuff may not actually be canon since we don't entirely see that in the game itself, what actually makes it into the game is the most important thing. I'd like it to be canon despite the Feat Whiplash. In the beginning Samus can die by getting crushed by an elevator, but by the end she can kill an Outer God!

To bad they've already said they won't be making remakes for a while.

However, an Outer God as a Space Pirate General? Something about that makes me laugh. Would be cool to see most of the generals get their backstories built upon tho.

Well it did literally restart completely just a few months ago.

Going from the og Prime lifecycle, the game isn't coming out til 2022, 2021 is my 'hopeful' view, and 2020 is my 0% chance year.

SomebodyData said:
Well it did literally restart completely just a few months ago.
Going from the og Prime lifecycle, the game isn't coming out til 2022, 2021 is my 'hopeful' view, and 2020 is my 0% chance year.
I'm not saying that the game would release in 2020.

I think 2021 or 2022 are far more likely.

I'm just saying do you think we will see a like a trailer or something about it. You know, to give us insight on the direction the game is going? I can see a trailer at E3 2020.

Given what's happened to MP4, pretty sure Nintendo ain't revealing anything til the game is near completion.

Not to mention that's what they've been doing for some of the major game releases (Smash, Odyssey, Maker 2, etc)

SomebodyData said:
Given what's happened to MP4, pretty sure Nintendo ain't revealing anything til the game is near completion.
Not to mention that's what they've been doing for some of the major game releases (Smash, Odyssey, Maker 2, etc)
What? Smash had like five directs for it alone. Odyssey had numerous trailers for it during the year. And Maker 2 has a rather short window to release after being announced to be coming out.

Anyway, I think it would be a poor decision not to, no one likes it when games are annonuced and then no information is revealed about it for years to come. And considering their open honestely about resetting the game's development to us, the consumer, I am sure they would want to reward our patience with a palette-cleansing trailer or something.

Wait, did Hunter mentioned something about 1-A Phantoon? o_O

Also, wasn't looking for a remake of Metroid Fusion, but rather a direct sequel. And another awesome idea is if Samus & Joey became an actual video game where Samus is the easy mode and Joey is the hard mode.

Yeah, all directs in the same year. Hence why I doubt they would reveal it one year and then release it the next.

Eh, like I said, given the circumstances its more likely they'll play it safe and release the trailer extremely close to the actual release date than a year or so apart. And tbh, outside the update (which was borderline necessary given the pretty big change) they were extremely closed about, we didn't know what studio was developing the game untill someone leaked it.

SomebodyData said:
Yeah, all directs in the same year. Hence why I doubt they would reveal it one year and then release it the next.
Eh, like I said, given the circumstances its more likely they'll play it safe and release the trailer extremely close to the actual release date than a year or so apart. And tbh, outside the update (which was borderline necessary given the pretty big change) they were extremely closed about, we didn't know what studio was developing the game untill someone leaked it.
Smash was announced at the beginning of the year and came out at literally the end of the year with constant updates throughout said year.

They could have not told us there was reset for the game, or just announced it in an interview - I believe Square Enix did for their Final Fantasy 7 remake.

They didn't need to make a video about it, but they did. I am pretty sure they really want to please fans with this game - and to go so long without even a trailer? As I said, I view it as a poor business decision.

March to December is a pretty big gap ofc, but then again the fact that they had constant updates was because it was a popular game. Not sure you can say the same for any Metroid game.

Interview, video, its not that different.

I mean, they literally did that (2017-2019 for MP4) already lol.

SomebodyData said:
March to December is a pretty big gap ofc, but then again the fact that they had constant updates was because it was a popular game. Not sure you can say the same for any Metroid game.
Interview, video, its not that different.

I mean, they literally did that (2017-2019 for MP4) already lol.
Metriod isn't Nintendo's biggest franchise, but it's still pretty big - if it wasn't, they wouldn't be making a new game, look at F-Zero for proof of that.

While the information released would be the same, the format in which that information is told, is telling on the thoughts and beliefs of the ones telling that information.

And to be fair, they didn't feel like what they were making was worth being shown.

But Smash, Zelda, or Mario (Any of the franchises that had been very focused upon in a Direct?), not really. Er, as long as they make Kirby games, I'm pretty sure they'll make sequels for most franchises.

Kinda a stretch no? I mean, they literally did the same for games like Travis Strikedown.

Given the cancellation was only recently, I'm pretty sure that's very debatable. And given Retro is extremely hush hush these days, I don't that anything information-wise will change.

SomebodyData said:
But Smash, Zelda, or Mario (Any of the franchises that had been very focused upon in a Direct?), not really. Er, as long as they make Kirby games, I'm pretty sure they'll make sequels for most franchises.
Kinda a stretch no? I mean, they literally did the same for games like Travis Strikedown.

Given the cancellation was only recently, I'm pretty sure that's very debatable. And given Retro is extremely hush hush these days, I don't that anything information-wise will change.
Except F-Zero. RIP.

No,I don't think that it is a stretch. I think there is significance in how one goes about doing something.

Let's agree to disagree. If I am right, I'll do the good old "haha told you so' routine, and vice versa if I am incorrect.

I just hope Metroid doesn't go on another 5 years long hiatus. Hopefully Nintendo has something to show us at E3, either this year or the next. Mercury Steam released Samus Returns nearly 2 years ago, if they are working on another Metroid game it might not be too long before we see something of it. Then there's that Prime Trilogy HD which I would love if a few new things get added to it like, say, a Boss Rush? Metroid is known for its bosses and the Prime series arguably has the best. A Boss Rush mode has been requested for years yet we've received nothing. If we do get a Boss Rush some ****** will make the final boss the ******* Boost Guardian, I'm calling it now.

The real cal howard said:
Hmmm. That brings up a good question. Which Nintendo verse has the most memorable bosses? No main primary bosses, so no Dedede, Bowser, Ganon, Ridley, Mewtwo, K. Rool, etc.
My bias just screams Zelda. So that.

And I have to ask, what is with the 2Pac avi? I can't take you seriously with it.

That's a good question as a lot of Nintendo franchises have too many memorable bosses to count, but I'm going with Legend of Zelda overall. Excluding main bosses, it's also got Kolotos, the Majora's Mask Giants, Ghirahim, Onox and Veran, and more. Metroid also has a lot of amazing bosses, which I think Quadraxis is the best one that isn't Mother Brain, Ridley, ect.

Looking at those jobs...

It seems MP4 has barely begun pre-production.

On the plus side, a team dedicated to MP is nice. Probably means sequels and another team developing another game.

SomebodyData said:
Looking at those jobs...
It seems MP4 has barely begun pre-production.

On the plus side, a team dedicated to MP is nice. Probably means sequels and another team developing another game.
When creating a highily anticpated game like MP4, it makes sense that they are taking their time, not to mention it hasn't really been that long since they restarted development.

Yeah, but for them to still be this early in pre-production. Might take longer than MP1's cycle tbh.

For reference, MP1's pre-production took less than a year and MP2 only took a few months (But they also had MP1.5 content, so take that as you will), and MP1 suffered 80-100hr crunch time.

Honest I'm curious if true Phantoon is High 3-A or High 2-A since it was stated he can transcend to higher dimensions and if he is High 2-A then we have a new strongest Nintendo character

Genericstickman said:
Honest I'm curious if true Phantoon is High 3-A or High 2-A since it was stated he can transcend to higher dimensions and if he is High 2-A then we have a new strongest Nintendo character
You say that, but Samus defeated Phantoon with her stuff from Super Metroid and that isn't her strongest incarnation, and considering all the other characters that scale off of Samus, stuff would get thrown out of wack. However, Samus in Other M just fought Phantoon's head, so you could say that if Phantoon is 2-A, Samus fight a severely nerfed version of Phantoon... or something.

This is speculation on my part, but maybe the fact that Phantoon drains energy from the Wrecked Ship in Super could be some way to gain energy to bring Phantoon's actual body into real space? The energy could just be food or something, I don't know. Other M doesn't seem to take too long after Super (seemingly a month or two at most) yet Phantoon appears again, stronger than ever. Phantoon doesn't seem to drain energy or something from the Bottle Ship... but now that I think about it, perhaps the sudden locking of doors among other things could be the work of Phantoon? More speculation to think about.

Yeah, not sure about taking upper-dimensional stuff literally; we're got the true self as Unknow for the time being.

Well we'll never know.

Though it is interesting to note, the Wrecked Ship actually had imprisoned Phantoon back when the Chozo first crashed. Makes ya wonder what the relationship was between the Chozo and the head of a higher being...

We might know eventually, only time will tell. Even if we have to wait a few more years than originally scheduled.

I've never seen anyone talk about this so I thought I'd bring up my hypothesis on how the Power Suit is powered by Samus' soul. This might seem out of nowhere, but it's something I've thought about for a while and wanted to know what everyone else thinks. The Chozo's mysticism has something to do with it but I got the idea from this scan of an Ultra Energy Unit from Prime 1:

Ultra_Energy_Scan.jpg

Sorry for the image size, I couldn't find a way to post a link to the image like usual, so I'll have to settle for posting the image itself. That looks a lot like a power generator to me, and if the Ultra Energy Unit is related to it, that looks like the Power Suit's power source despite being in Samus' chest. The Power Suit is highly advanced biotech, but it's also some sort of ancient relic at the same time. Considering Samus received the suit by completing a test by the Chozo's God of War, the Power Suit could also be some sort of Divine Construct as well.

The Power Suit is highly advanced tech while also being biology, while also being an ancient relic but it also seems to have some sort of magic stuff related to it considering it came from the God of War test. The Power Suit is literally everything at once, lol.

There's also this scan log about a Large Energy Unit from Prime Hunters: "Replenishes 100 UNITS of energy expended from the POWER SUIT due to battle damage. Energy has also been known to have a rejuvenating effect on alien technology and physiology." The scan explicitly states that Energy can rejuvenate technology and physiology/biology. That could explain how Samus doesn't have any scars on her after all the battles she's been through. If you heal the Power Suit, you heal Samus as well.

Last thing I wanted to bring up was about the Gravity Suit. In super Metroid, Prime 1 and Zero Mission, if Samus acquires the Gravity Suit before the Varia Suit, the Gravity Suit is able to protect Samus from extreme heat like the Varia Suit, it just that the Gravity Suit doesn't provide as much of a damage reduction compared to the Varia Suit. Perhaps as a trade off for being able to negate gravity effects, lava damage and heat damage.

Oh yeah, the Power Suit is physically part of Samus and it's linked to her essence/soul. But yeah, Samus is a very composite character due to the Power Suit's database. It's Biology, Technology, magic, a Holy Relic, Digital Data, and her very one soul. Samus does have a healing factor alongside the Power Suit.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Oh yeah, the Power Suit is physically part of Samus and it's linked to her essence/soul. But yeah, Samus is a very composite character due to the Power Suit's database. It's Biology, Technology, magic, a Holy Relic, Digital Data, and her very one soul. Samus does have a healing factor alongside the Power Suit.
I wanted to bring this up since no one has talked about this specifically and as a way to present some proof in case someone says "No way, that sounds like some stupid bullshit. How can something be all of these things at once!" I've seen at least one person be in disbelief over the idea that Samus can shoot beams/Missiles while using the Speed Booster. Besides, being able to whip out some sort of basis/facts is very useful since there's not a whole lot of hard information on Metroid stuff. It's been stated in the series several times that the Power Suit is apart of Samus, but that's mostly in manuals or interviews that NOBODY reads so a lot of people miss that.

Yup, it's pretty much in the same boat as Zebes being 960 times earth's gravity, or Samus having a shitton of feats that make her a casual planet buster, with well over Planet level durability, and very consistent Massively FTL+ speed feats all over the place; and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Back