• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mash Calculation Stacking

You can't quantify AP from psi to begin with.

Really? I thought it was possible, just only under limited circumstances. From a quick search, I found this accepted calc which gets AP from psi.

Also, just an interesting note, 300 MPa is like, 43511.3 psi, the one that wielded Mach 2.

That being above the value said to be required to cut a stone makes it sound a fair bit less reliable than me. Especially since the sources used for the speed said that abrasives needed to be added to cut things like stones; if 4x the supposedly required psi can't work without an abrasive being added, it doesn't sound like a great number to use.

But this is starting to not feel ultra-relevant tbh.

You can't quantify AP from psi to begin with.

Really? I thought it was possible, just only under limited circumstances. From a quick search, I found this accepted calc which gets AP from psi.
You need the area affected and the distance moved, aye, what I meant was, psi alone isn't gonna work, you gotta go through hoops like getting the area affected and the displacement distance which is usually the thickness or height.

Also, just an interesting note, 300 MPa is like, 43511.3 psi, the one that wielded Mach 2.

That being above the value said to be required to cut a stone makes it sound a fair bit less reliable than me. Especially since the sources used for the speed said that abrasives needed to be added to cut things like stones; if 4x the supposedly required psi can't work without an abrasive being added, it doesn't sound like a great number to use.
Well, that's what the link says is the baseline operating pressure of a water jet.

We need more input from calc group member here.
I've repeatedly tried to get some, KLOL's the only one who's regularly commented on it (and seems to prefer Subsonic for this calc). I've messaged 3 or 4 calc group members multiple times who haven't responded at all, and ofc there's the 4-5 who responded earlier but haven't responding to more recent things, despite all the bumps.

I'd appreciate y'all contacting some more people as well if you want more input.

I'm not convinced on the distance moved, there appear to be multiple shots, it becomes way too hard and convoluted to tell if all those afterimages are part of one single cycle that Mash will then go on to repeat tens of thousands of times over in perfect motion. Use just one shot that has the best distance out of them, then multiply with two for the imitating two people thing and then multiply the tens of thousands of times stuff.

As for the apparent speed, I think it was agreed to use Subsonic perception timeframe of 0.0292 seconds instead of 1 second due to the afterimage creation involved.

Also I believe Subsonic (34.3 m/s) was the preferred speed for the water jets as per Agnaa's recommendations.

I love the fact that this thread has been revived about 3 times, all when I am literally practically asleep
  • We need to revise the distance (The current one is fine imo)
  • Decide if we use subsonic speed or subsonic+ (Subsonic+ is more consistent just as a note)
That's all

So far is there any solution to solve this?
Slow-mo calculator, 34.3 m/s water jet speed as true projectile speed, 3-4 mph walking speed being the apparent projectile speed (Or just use 1.42 m/s as the average walking speed I guess)

And then you figure out the "tens of thousands of times" movement speed thing by yourselves, because I believe that portion still hasn't been resolved as to which scan to use to get the distance of the first set out of the tens of thousands of sets repeated, and then you multiply first set distance with the "tens of thousands of times" stuff. Then divide that by Subsonic baseline timeframe (0.0292 seconds as per the Perception timeframe chart) because the guy moves as afterimages, to get the apparent movement speed.

Then dump into the formula below

(True Projectile Speed/Apparent Projectile Speed) * Person Apparent Speed

And the result from that is the person's true apparent speed.

Even the High Tiers are considered capable of reaching close to the speed of sound. I don't think 34m/s makes sense.

The distance part I won't answer now. It is much more complex and I want to sleep

Slow-mo calculator, 34.3 m/s water jet speed as true projectile speed, 3-4 mph walking speed being the apparent projectile speed (Or just use 1.42 m/s as the average walking speed I guess)

And then you figure out the "tens of thousands of times" movement speed thing by yourselves, because I believe that portion still hasn't been resolved as to which scan to use to get the distance of the first set out of the tens of thousands of sets repeated, and then you multiply first set distance with the "tens of thousands of times" stuff. Then divide that by Subsonic baseline timeframe (0.0292 seconds as per the Perception timeframe chart) because the guy moves as afterimages, to get the apparent movement speed.

Then dump into the formula below

(True Projectile Speed/Apparent Projectile Speed) * Person Apparent Speed

And the result from that is the person's true apparent speed.
I mean we've covered this a few times only a new set of problems has emerged.

Even the High Tiers are considered capable of reaching close to the speed of sound. I don't think 34m/s makes sense.

The distance part I won't answer now. It is much more complex and I want to sleep
Using a higher speed in a calculation purely because they have higher speed feats elsewhere is calc stacking. We do not do that.

A series having 5 FTL feats does not let us assume that their bullets move at the speed of light for the sake of calculations (even if we do assume that for profiles).

Using a higher speed in a calculation purely because they have higher speed feats elsewhere is calc stacking. We do not do that.
...Using examples from in series that were blatantly shown is calc stacking?
There's gotta be another name for that, right? Because those wouldnt be calcs.

...Using examples from in series that were blatantly shown is calc stacking?
There's gotta be another name for that, right? Because those wouldnt be calcs.
Then pretend I said whichever made-up word you wish I said that didn't include "calc". What it's called does not matter.

"You should use Subsonic speed because is more consistent"

- Subsonic+ is more consistent than Subsonic speed

"You shouldn't use subsonic+ speed"

I can't understand you

Anyway, I won't elaborate too much for now as I am quite busy

"You should use Subsonic speed because is more consistent"

- Subsonic+ is more consistent than Subsonic speed

"You shouldn't use subsonic+ speed"

I can't understand you

Anyway, I won't elaborate too much for now as I am quite busy
Lets break it down then. Going over this entire discussion from the start of the thread.
  1. Spinosaurus said "use peak human or Subsonic".
  2. AnAverageUsername said (three times) to use Subsonic+. You said to use Subsonic+.
  3. KLOL said "that's not enough to justify Subsonic+, just use Subsonic" (repeatedly)
  4. I said "use Subsonic".
  5. You said you'd use Subsonic. AnAverageUsername agreed that Subsonic should be used.
  6. You decided to use water jet speed instead.
  7. AnAverageUsername said "how about we use Subsonic?"
  8. I said "it's probably better to use Subsonic".
  9. AnAverageUsername said "use Subsonic or Subsonic+"
  10. KLOL said "use Subsonic".
  11. You then edited the calc to use Subsonic+.
  12. KLOL said "use Subsonic".
  13. You said "we really need to discuss whether to use Subsonic or Subsonic+".
  14. KLOL said "use Subsonic".
  15. You said "Subsonic doesn't make sense".
  16. I said "we don't just get to assume a higher speed" (implicitly meaning "stick with Subsonic").
From earlier in the thread, it seems like Subsonic was suggested because of demonstrated FTE movement in that scene, but I'm not fully sure on that.

Hopefully this illuminates things.

To be fair, I didn't even remember that Subsonic and Subsonic+ existed. I just remembered when I edited the sandbox and had to look at the speed page

Bump?

Bump??

Cant someone just change the Subsonic+ thing in the blog to baseline subsonic, and then roll with the current distance until something better is found?

Bump!?

Bump (._.)

Using Klol's speed suggestions, and using the distance in the initial calculation because I don't know how to pixel scale, I got

3,657,122,863.89 meters per second

What does this mean in terms of Speed of Light? Hell if I know.

Why miles per second?

Did you happen to mean meters per second?

Yeah. That's like 1.22x faster than light, then.

EDIT: NO IT AIN'T, IT'S 12.2 TIMES FASTER

Last edited:
So with this it would be 10,662,165.78393586 Mach, which in turn is 12.198849 c.... I think, I used online calculators for these.

Edit: for the record, this is FTL+

That seems off by one order of magnitude from the number you posted earlier (in other words, after copying the speed you pasted above, I got results exactly 10x lower).

Please double-check what you did with the calculators.

EDIT: WHOOPS THIS WAS MY MISTAKE

That seems off by one order of magnitude from the number you posted earlier (in other words, after copying the speed you pasted above, I got results exactly 10x lower).

Please double-check what you did with the calculators.
Yeah, I probably got something wrong. Maybe when I tried copying the number it didn't copy all the way. By the way, which part did I get wrong? I've never done this before.

Wait I think I got ninja'd earlier, oops.

Yeah, I keep getting 12.19884879121942411 c, so something is up. This time I went from Meters per Second to SoL, instead of going from Meters per Second to Mach to SoL.

Back