• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario feat gathering: Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick_Zero_X

She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator

A thread to gather feats for the Mario Kart series for indexing I guess

Games include:
  1. Super Mario Kart
  2. Mario Kart 64
  3. Mario Kart: Super Circuit
  4. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
  5. Mario Kart DS
  6. Mario Kart Wii
  7. Mario Kart 7
  8. Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  9. Mario Kart Arcade GP, GP 2, GP DX, GP VR,
  10. Mario Kart Tour
  11. Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit

Remaining pseudo-continuities​

• Mario Kart
  • Super Mario Series
  • Mario Party
  • Paper Mario
  • Mario & Luigi
  • Donkey Kong
  • WarioWare
  • Mario + Rabbids
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Dr. Mario
  • Mario Sports

Lurking, Will help calc any basic bitch feats if supplied the sufficient material, as long as they aren't a nuisance. If it requires sufficient effort, less likely to calc it.

Here's some ideas, DK Mountain cannon might give good KE and thus good kart durability.

I know Double Dash actually shows how fast the karts go in MPH and every character can react to items that move way faster than the karts being hurled at them, hell they're the ones that can hurl said items faster than the karts (Even the babies can toss banana peels at speeds over 100mph or something)

Bullet Bill KE might be good actually.
Would be somewhat easy, get the mass, grab the numbers the game gives you for speed, done.

Cube law? Or maybe just scale its dimensions and get volume and use steel or something? Etc.

There's a few ways, only issue is getting good enough shots.

Cube law? Or maybe just scale its dimensions and get volume and use steel or something? Etc.

There's a few ways, only issue is getting good enough shots.
I think I got a good way mainly just importing the models from a place such as modeler's resource into blender to compare the size to someone like Mario which I'm doing rn uvu

Already looked up speed values from games at like 114kmph for mk7 (judging by a speed checker hack, should be accurate to the in-game values).

Half assing it and just using some eye balled values to get an approximate idea got me .005 tons. Almost exactly baseline 9-A, and that's with me undershooting the mass and using steel instead of lead or other common bullet materials (Lead is heavy as ****).

So we're probably looking at low 9-A durability/AP, and probably subsonic reactions (just based on the in games speed values, as they can react to items at point blank).

Half assing it and just using some eye balled values to get an approximate idea got me .005 tons. Almost exactly baseline 9-A, and that's with me undershooting the mass and using steel instead of lead or other common bullet materials (Lead is heavy as ****).

So we're probably looking at low 9-A durability/AP, and probably subsonic reactions (just based on the in games speed values, as they can react to items at point blank).
I read on the Kart racing wiki you can apparently dodge lightning from the thunder cloud with the bullet bill

When it says "dodge", I think it means that you use the bullet bill right before it activates, and you turn into the BB and become invincible right before it strikes, becoming uneffected and thus "dodging it". I don't think it's an ACTUAL dodge.

And if it is, that's problematic because the game explicitly gives us values in kmph.

Yes, for example using a Star, Bullet Bill, or Boo to avoid a hit from lightning is sometimes known as a “Shock Dodge” even though you aren’t actually dodging it, just being immune when it strikes

So far, I've only played DS, Wii, and 7. Though, I did something DS where they can survive being hit by a massive Bullet Bill in Airship Fortress.

Antvasima said:
Your help would also be appreciated here if any of you are interested.
Fine, I have something in mind. All the characters in Mario Kart Wii can survive an explosion from a Bowser statue in Bowser's Castle. During the time that I searched for a clip, I didn't find anyone getting hit by the obstacle, but I have played the game before to know that they do survive, and I'm pretty sure Super Mario supporters know that anyway since characters don't die in that game.

Lead, or whatever other common bullet material you can think of.

They are just comedically large bullets after all, they should be made of similar materials.
Unless there's a statement tucked away in some RPG or note that callcs them steel or iron or whatever.

Reminder that the amount of total coins in a save file determines how fast a kart can go while boosting in 7 and 8, so feats that rely on them should probably use the highest value.

I guess there are certain things in the Mario Kart franchise that could rack up feats. Right off the top of my head, I can think of:

The giant pinballs in Waluigi Pinball
The giant pendulums in Tick Tock Clock
The trains in both Kalimari Desert and Super Bell Subway
The cars and trucks in most traffic courses
The Thwomps on various courses
The explosive cannonballs on Shy Guy Beach
The gigantic Bowser statue punching the course in Bowser's Castle (MK8)
The bouncing Chain Chomps in N64 Rainbow Road (MK8)

Not to mention there might be feats in the Mission Mode of Mario Kart DS, since you fight boss characters such as Big Bully, King Bob-omb and Eyerok.

Last edited:
Not to mention there might be feats in the Mission Mode of Mario Kart DS, since you fight boss characters such as Big Bully, King Bob-omb and Eyerok
Of all of them, getting the fragmentation value of destroying Eyerok in 3 hits could get a decent value. There's also the KE of King Bomb-Omb being launched by the Bomb-Omb Explosion and the KE of the enraged Wiggler ramming into trucks which send them flying up, as well as its general ramming KE.

Do we have a problem with calculating the size of explosions that don't necesarily leave damage in videogames?

Because I remember a couple of sizeable booms in the DS game.

Do we have a problem with calculating the size of explosions that don't necesarily leave damage in videogames?
They're probably just game mechanics if they have been shown to cause other things to get destroyed but not the rest of the course itself.

Lol 8-B Mario Kart could you imagine that.

Also Lakitu's have feats of repeatedly fetching characters who fall to the planet and achieve re-entry speeds. Could be a neat feat. Given in literally all forms of media everyone is at least comparable to or much greater than a Lakitu we could potentially scale that to the reactions of the drivers. We also have a Lakitu driver.

Doing things like that is always pretty faulty. It's how you get lightspeed basic projectiles or hypersonic arrows because few games distinguish projectiles speeds of various armaments.

They are cannons. Why would we assume they are traveling slower than usual due to gameplay

Perhaps, but in this case, the game has specific speeds listed, it's not like an arrow that can be any speed it wants because it's fired by a superhuman or something. The game kinda just goes "every kart is between this and this speed", "every item is between this and this speed".
I'm sure if you looked into the code you'd even pull numerical speed values from those alone. The game just kinda gives us values to work with for speed.

Why would we assume they are traveling slower than usual due to gameplay

The whole game is gameplay tho, if there's cutscenes that imply different that's fine. And while they might be cannons, it's also true they're absolutely massive and eclipse any cannon we have irl, thus don't inherently have to be the exact speed, especially given the increased mass. If anything you'd probably assume a discrepancy in speed without further information. For the same reason why you wouldn't inherently assume a Bullet Bill clocks in at like 400mps because it's a bullet.

Perhaps, but in this case, the game has specific speeds listed, it's not like an arrow that can be any speed it wants because it's fired by a superhuman or something. The game kinda just goes "every kart is between this and this speed", "every item is between this and this speed".
I'm sure if you looked into the code you'd even pull numerical speed values from those alone. The game just kinda gives us values to work with for speed.
Just because there are certain numerical values in a code assigned to the object’s speed doesn’t mean it reflects on how fast they are truly going. Just because you see the cannonball moving slower, it either means the developers are not perfect in implementing the accurate cannonball speed (As with any other game), or it just means the cannonball looks slow to the racers and they are just moving faster than usual.
The whole game is gameplay tho, if there's cutscenes that imply different that's fine. And while they might be canons, it's also true they're absolutely massive and eclipse any cannon we have irl, thus don't inherently have to be the exact speed, especially given the increased mass. If anything you'd probably assume a discrepancy in speed without further information. For the same reason why you wouldn't inherently assume a Bullet Bill clocks in at like 400mps because it's a bullet.
It’s game mechanics that something fired is moving slower than it should be in real life. Also, even if the cannonballs are massive, it would simply mean that the cannons would have to upscale in size in order to get them to fire at the standard cannonball speed range.

Just because there are certain numerical values in a code assigned to the object’s speed doesn’t mean it reflects on how fast they are truly going. Just because you see the cannonball moving slower, it either means the developers are not perfect in implementing the accurate cannonball speed (As with any other game), or it just means the cannonball looks slow to the racers and they are just moving faster than usual.
Ok let me be more blunt then. The cannonball is directly comparable to the karts that have a consistent speed throughout the series, you're nitpicking a single thing I said, something I only said to make things less difficult mind you, instead of the main point. In that if the cannonball is that fast, then so are the karts, and that's blatantly not true. If I suddenly calc a mach 3 mushroom boost via dodging one of the cannons, are you about to tell me that yeah, mushroom boost is mach 3 even if the game says "nah it's about 100kmph".

They're moving faster than usual? Sorry but that's pure headcanon, what's more likely. The racers are going the speed they usually go, or on that specific map they just so happen to go about 25x faster because reasons? That's rhetorical, they're just as fast as they always were and the cannon simply isn't as fast as you think it is.

It’s game mechanics that something fired is moving slower than it should be in real life. Also, even if the cannonballs are massive, it would simply mean that the cannons would have to upscale in size in order to get them to fire at the standard cannonball speed range.
No, it isn't, game mechanics is not being able to shoot down a door because puzzle, or a lv1 rat defeating a multiversal God via move exploitation. This could be gameplay though, if we had reason to actually think they're way faster like a statement or comparison to something else that's explicitly way faster, but fact of the matter is, nothing at all actually confirms it's gameplay beyond your disbelief and thoughts that they have to be a certain way which isn't actually backed by anything in the material itself.

And that's fallacious as all hell. You're assuming that that cannonballs MUST be cannonball speed so the cannons MUST just upscale. Instead of the possibility that, hey, that might not be the case, what if, the cannonballs are just however fast they actually are instead of presuming they must be the same speed as something about 1000000x less in terms of mass then they are? And the cannons themselves are just as strong as they're shown to be? I'd understand your argument if these cannons were actually comparable to any cannon we actually had that these speeds derive from but they aren't, they may as well be their own thing.

Actually, do you not realize what you're saying? You don't even have any actual proof or evidence to your claims, you're just saying they must be that fast because of what they are, but they aren't even like any cannonball we have irl that would have such a speed to begin with so that's faulty at best, wrong at worst. Coupled with them having a clear speed comparative to things we know the speeds for, because Nintendo has given us explicit numerical values on them. In what world would we assume "Yeah the karts are magically going faster here, and the cannonball is actually tens of times faster" instead of "The karts go as fast as they always had, it's the cannonballs that are just this fast, because that's simply how it is".

Again, why don't we assume Bullet Bills go supersonic speeds then because it's just a big bullet the same way that's just a big cannonball?

why don't we assume Bullet Bills go supersonic speeds then because it's just a big bullet the same way that's just a big cannonball
I assume the jet of flame behind them, them not being fired from a gun, and maybe the hands and eyes don't support that

I assume the jet of flame behind them, them not being fired from a gun, and maybe the hands and eyes don't support that
Yes, in the same way a giant cannon ball magnitudes above anything we have irl, including the things where said speed value is taken from, isn't at all comparable to what's being calced. The similarities would be superficial at best.

And that's not even entirely true, Bullet Bills and various other things can, and have been, shot from cannons and other such things. Even in Mario Kart, but we're not going to assume they're cannon speed too now are we? They're clearly not comparable.

The only similarity between the cannons in the feat, and the cannons that the speed value is taken from is mostly just visuals. There is no such cannon that exists or close to it, that fires house sized cannonballs, using a speed of cannon a few magnitudes below it firing projectiles magnitudes below it, doesn't work like that, it's not linear. And couple in the cannonballs can be directly dodged by, compared to, and etc, by vehicles with a consistent static speed with explicit numerical values in a multitude of games.

The assumption of speed used falls flat, the only evidence to use it is because you feel like it should be the same, no evidence exists that it's the same, and everything points toward it not being the same.

Honestly, let's give an example, if there was a 10km gun and it fired a bullet, would we REALLY go "oh yeah it must be 248mps because it's a gun lmao", instead of actually getting its speed through legitimate methods because there comes a point when shit is clearly no longer the same? There's a fine line here. And this isn't even without precedence, we've rejected using stated speed values for the same exact things but just smaller/larger before.

I don't have in depth knowledge in Mario Kart feats, but will follow for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back