• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Over a year ago, I made a Content Revision titled "Possible Mario AP Downgrade". While I like to think it was well-researched, it was a bit unfocused and unsteady in its proposal, and was ultimately derailed by a user's push to instead split the verse into multiple sub-categories, which I made the unfortunate choice of following. This was a decision that, I think, most people disliked, myself included, and ultimately we all agreed to go back on that. We tried to resume the discussion afterwards but, partially due to my own burnout, that ended up being impossible. In the end, I concluded the thread saying that working on big, controversial revisions was something was something I did not enjoy, and that I would not be working on the series anymore. As the existence of this thread may render apparent, however, I have changed my mind.

The Argument​

The crux of my argument, as it was last time, is to prove that the current Galaxy level ratings for the Mario verse are an outlier, by showcasing a massive collection of anti-feats across the whole verse. In the same blog are a series of rebuttals to arguments that I expect people to bring up- please make sure to read that section before commenting. I know it's a bit long but I think it's important, obviously you're obviously allowed to disagree with what I say in that section, but please make sure you have read it before making arguments related to things it covers. I will not be responding to arguments that the blog covers already. (It has a few new arguments so even if you're familiar with the old thread, make sure to read it again)

Also, since last time there was a bit of a disagreement regarding whether this many anti-feats would actually disprove the higher end ones, I would like to point to our Guidelines for Outliers:
  1. Is it a big jump or drop in power? Yes, undoubtedly. Mario's feats, and anti-feats, commonly hover from high tier 9 to tier 7, and to my knowledge there are at most three accepted cosmic feats that would scale to the main cast. Galaxy level is a massive jump from the verse's power portrayal, and it is contrasted by anti-feats extremely often.
  2. Is it a unique or exceptional incident? Yes, undoubtedly. Compared to the relative consistency of lower ratings (the tier I'm proposing has 10+ feats backing it up), I would definitely consider cosmic tiers "exceptional", and the series' power portrayal is clearly much lower than the profiles currently present, given the massive amount of anti-feats.
  3. Is the event unexplained and unjustified? Yes. Mario does grow in power in the RPGs, but that is contrasted by characters who do not go through such training being capable of keeping up with him both before and afterwards, implying the power increase to be relatively minor.
  4. Does the event break the previously established power-scaling? This is going to be a bit of a tangent, but yes.
    • In 64 and Galaxy, Mario is (in base) capable of fighting foes that gain a massive power increase from Power Stars, despite some of them being already physically superior to him without need of buffs:
      • Bowser, who is almost universally portrayed as superior, though comparable, to Mario, without need of upgrades, is the biggest example, but there are others. Mario even fights Giant Bowser in Galaxy/Galaxy 2 where his buff (Grand Star) is even superior to a Power Star's. Taken at face value, this would give us a scaling chain of: Mario =< Bowser << Power Star Bowser << Grand Star Bowser >= Mario, which obviously makes no sense.
      • King Boo is fought in Mario 64 DS, and is such a powerful and prominently reoccurring villain that I don't think it's necessary to post scans of him being capable of easily threatening the cast in base.
      • Eyerok is fought as a boss again in Mario Kart DS, and defeated in a very similar manner. Notably, he is destroyed, and releases no stars at all.
      • King Bob-Omb/Big Bob-Omb serves as a boss battle in Mario Party 9, Mario Party Island Tour, Mario Party Island Tour, Mario Kart DS and Mario & Luigi Paper Jam. In all of those games he is capable of threatening the main cast (sometimes several at once) without need of Power Stars.
    • Not only that, but the portrayal of characters who are receiving this amp that is allegedly universal between one another is very inconsistent, as is Mario's scaling to them.
    • In conclusion: The scaling is broken for three reasons: First off, certain Bosses empowered by Power Stars are already capable of threatening the Mario cast without them, causing a scaling loop if Mario is simultaneously comparable to their Power Star AP and their base AP. Second, the power level of Power Star users is wildly variable, with Mario being capable of contending directly with enemies who are comparable to him even without the Stars (King Boo, possibly Goomboss), but needing to use trickery to defeat otherwise fodder enemies (Bullies, Mr. I). Third and most bizarre, Bowser can never be harmed in Mario 64, and must be tossed into explosives to win, but in the Galaxy/Galaxy 2 boss battles, where he has an allegedly stronger amp, Mario can hurt him directly, which is a massive inconsistency. The scaling being inconsistent is actually something VSBW used to support, we once rated Mario as 3-C only when amped, and he was only scaled to the rating in base when the 4-A feat got rejected.
  5. Does the event break with the narrative of the work? Possibly, but this is not something I'm interested in arguing.
The guidelines for outliers are just that- guidelines- ultimately battleboarding is always going to be subjective, so there is a bit of wiggle room, but in this case, I do believe that the sheer amount of anti-feats unarguably paints the Galaxy level ratings as outliers.

New Ratings & Un-Splitting The Verse​

Last time, I believe one of the CRT's biggest flaws was that I failed to propose a new AP tier for the verse- this caused confusion and overall weakened my argument, so I have remedied that. Here is a blog in which I have a series of higher end calculations and feats for the Mario verse that hover around the tier 7 range. You may notice that this includes Wario and Donkey Kong feats, with Donkey Kong Country Returns' moon punch being the new main feat. I hate to tackle multiple arguments at once when they're so important, and potentially controversial, but I do truly believe it's necessary now: I believe Wario and Donkey Kong games should no longer be considered to have a separate AP tier compared to the "mainline" verse. I have struggled to find the exact reasoning as to why they're even rated differently to begin with, given that the Note on the verse page explicitly says they're considered canon, so I think it's an "they have a different power portrayal compared to the mainline series" thing? Well, if that's the case, now all of them are actually decently close to one another, with Wario games being low end tier 7, DK being low end tier 6, and Mario being kind of in-between the two. In fact, them all having feats around this ballpark makes the general rating a lot more consistent. Even beforehand, I think in the last thread there was a bit of an agreement that they should be unsplit, I think we just forgot to do it.

The proposed Attack Potency tier for Mario characters that currently scale to 3-C (as well as Wario/DK/Paper Mario characters) is 6-C, with characters amplified by power-ups such as Giant Bowser reaching up to Low 6-B. If you are aware of any AP feats that you think might be worth calculating, please let me know of them. I myself am aware of a few others that I'm currently unsure how to calculate, listed in the blog itself).

Please Note​

I understand that this is an argument that a lot of people, myself included, feel very strongly about, so let's all please try to remain civil and have a pleasant, or at least polite, discussion. The original thread was filled with toxicity, and while I am not trying to shame the community for it, I am going to take steps to prevent that from happening again. The easiest way to do this would be to make this a Staff Discussion thread, but I dislike that idea, because the majority of the Mario supporter base is non-staff, and I wouldn't want to force them to jump through hoops to respond to my arguments. If necessary, however, I will thread-ban people, and even move the thread into Staff Discussion, if the overall atmosphere becomes too toxic.

Agreements (8 voting staff, 29 total): @Deagonx, @Serlock_Holmes, @MaidRips, @SamanPatou, @Eseseso, @Marvel_Champion_07, @Tllmbrg, @Apex_Predator_GX, @noninho, @Maverick_Zero_X, @KingTempest, @Damage3245, @Mad_Dog_of_Fujiwara, @Deidalius, @DarkDragonMedeus (Only with the merge), @Lou_change, @Giannysmag, @TMaakkonen, @Magicomethkuon, @Shadyboi0, @Seol404, @ImmortalDread, @Cropfist, @Prime2024, @Matthew_Schroeder @Blunt_Claw, @MusicRelaxing, @Eficiente, @EliminatorVenom, @Lonkitt,

Neutral/Agree (4): @koopa3144, @JJSliderman, @thetechmaster36, @Dust_Collector

Neutral (2): @Kirbonic_Pikmin, @Maizesoup (Agrees with merge and the scaling being circular, neutral regarding the tier)

Neutral/Disagree:

Disagreements (1 voting staff, 11 total): @Adem_Warlock69, @DarkDragonMedeus (With the AP downgrade), @Foxthefox1000, @StretchSebe, @ZespeonGalaxy, @StretchSebe, @CloverDragon03, @y3p_owo, @Uuber1 @Starbrand_Fan, @CrackerVolley

WWGIT_Pyoro.png
Thank you for for your time. Here is a picture of the silly bird from WarioWare. Also I want to note something, I am not tackling Lifting Strength or Speed here- I presently don't have educated opinions on those ratings, though it isn't impossible that I may try to revise them in the future. I may however do P&A revisions for the verse in the future, mostly improving secondary files and maybe making new ones.

Last edited:
Disagree because of silly bird.

Just kidding. This is very thorough, and one of the more straightforward examples of an outlier in my opinion. I remain open to a potential counterargument but for now I agree.

I think its weird that the reason for downgrading Mario to Tier 6 is because of a massive number of tier 7,8 and 9 feats. Anti feats have to be consistent as well, and if you're arguing the cast are often hurt by attacks not stronger than tier 8, he shouldn't even be tier 6 in the first place

I disagree because there is actually an explanation for why Mario could be galaxy tier, in the galaxy games at least, in the form of the Luma. Lumas are basically baby power stars, so one amping Mario in those games at all times, even giving him the ability to spin and break Crystal he couldn’t otherwise, I think means galaxy can stay as long as it’s a new key.
We don't currently consider Mario to be amped by the Luma. If a solid argument is put together for that being the case I would not oppose a 3-C rating only for characters amplified by Lumas/Power Stars/What have you, but I would prefer that to be discussed in a thread of its own or at least later into this one.

Should I still list you as a disagreement? Because from what I understand you don't disagree with the downgrade as a whole, but I will if you want me to.

Last edited:
I disagree because there is actually an explanation for why Mario could be galaxy tier, in the galaxy games at least, in the form of the Luma. Lumas are basically baby power stars, so one amping Mario in those games at all times, even giving him the ability to spin and break Crystal he couldn’t otherwise, I think means galaxy can stay as long as it’s a new key.
I'd rather Mario doesn't become a smurf lmso

Oh yeah. Speaking of the silly bird from WarioWare (who actually should get a profile considering he's the secret boss of the latest game -)...

What are your stances on WarioWare scaling since it's a spin-off of Mario and whatnot? I know you did say Wario, but I'm not sure if that was just Wario Land or just all Wario stuff in general -

We don't currently consider Mario to be amped by the Luma. If a solid argument is put together for that being the case I would not oppose a 3-C rating only for characters amplified by Lumas/Power Stars/What have you, but I would prefer that to be discussed in a thread of its own or at least later into this one.

Should I still list you as a disagreement? Because from what I understand you don't disagree with the downgrade as a whole, but I will if you want me to.
I disagree because I don’t really like “outlier” as a debunk, but in terms of this wiki’s standards the downgrade makes sense.

So I guess consider me as neutral but leaning agree.

"Your world is not kind to them. Your world will never be kind."

Unfortunately, I have to agree here.

Hold on, I actually have a simple question
The 2-B key makes sense on its own because... well, the battle happened and the facts are there (100k universes-thing-created Castle,etc).
How does it stay?

Let's please keep the Luma talk later, I'd rather address disagreements on the whole thing first, if there's any.
As Adem_Warlock69 positioned himself against part of it, only, just now and no-one spoke being against the whole of it (afaik) and still is, we could start discussing it

Btw if this does get accepted there should probably be a note on profiles linking to this thread explaining why the higher ratings aren't used.
I'd prefer just a note on the verse page than on all the profiles, but yeah.
As Adem_Warlock69 positioned himself against part of it, only, just now and no-one spoke being against the whole of it (afaik) and still is, we could start discussing it
I'd wait a bit, most people probably haven't seen this yet.

I agree with unsplitting the Mario Bros, Wario Land, DKC keys ect. But I obviously have different opinions about where they land. Won't say if that may be a downgrade (Though a smaller one if that's the case), and upgrade, or the same. Only that they would have a consistent key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back