• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Let's Make an RPG (Stage 1: World Development)

I guarantee you there are gonna be plenty of good verses we'll have to leave out.

Remember that I actually have to make the game if we want to put this project into motion.

I like the idea of making the world 5-A in size. Makes it so we won't have to worry too much about making things 100% accurate to earth.

Australia as "The Outback"?

How about we rearrange the continents.

-A continent that subtly references E3 in the name, which covers Nintendo, Playstation, Xbox, and PC verses.

-A continent that covers Anime, Manga, Light Novels, Visual Novels, etc. (Waifu Wonderland will be there ofc)

-A continent that covers Television shows and movies

-A continent that covers Books

-A cast out continent that covers all of the weird/obscure/crappy verses like Baldi's Basics, Trio the Punch, etc.

Yeah, I'd like the idea of writing a canon databook. How will we do that? Just make some pictures in Paintdotnet or create a .pdf file?

I think writing a databook to serve as basis for the storyline and characters is a good idea. It could also include the full world map and other pics.

@AN

I believe PDFs can include pics and drawings.

I prefer the old continents. LNs aren't going to be hard to squeeze into neo-Japan.

Well, stuff like Seireitei parodies is a given, which requires Neo Japan to be huge since 6reitei would still only be a fraction of it. And since it's drawn tiny compared to the other continents, we could use that to justify a 5-A world.

Alright. Have we agreed on my idea of rearranging the continents? In hindsight I think limiting our options to earth-based continents and boundaries limits us and makes us run the risk of overcrowding the world.

A databook is indeed a great idea.

We don't need to limit our options to earth-based continents, but I think neo-Japan, neo-America, Antarctica and Australia would be more funny/interesting than having separate game, weeb, tv, etc continents.

The former would also usually work better since verses would be put together based on their theme and tone rather than their medium.

We had too little continents before.

More continents helps not overcrowd them. Plus the new continents are easier to organize then the old ones.

This new proposition only has one more continent.

Overcrowding/organization can be done by having districts within continents. I'd disagree that the new ones are easier to organize; any verses that go over multiple different pieces of media (movies to books to cartoons to comics to games) wouldn't be able to have that all unified under one continent.

Well, Seireitei is usually wanked to something like 1500km, which is a (very) large country.

So, if it's drawn small on the Neo Japan wideshots, it'd make Neo Japan a really large continent. If it isn't drawn to scale on Earth space shots, even better, because it will not only save AN's time, but it will also add to the joke & make the planet larger.

Agnaa said:
I prefer the old continents. LNs aren't going to be hard to squeeze into neo-Japan.
My problem doesn't lie within just the Light Novels. It's also within the E3 stuff like Sony, Nintendo, Xbox, and PC. Cal is going to be the mayor of Nintendoland, so he has to have a distinct place to live in. Thus we'd have to do the same for Xbox, Sony, etc. to avoid bias.

We only have two or three continents. If we want to be inclusive we're going to need more room.

I mean, simply using the databook to put it at Saturn sizes or so saves time, but drawing it at that size at least once also helps.

There's already going to be some degree of bias; we can't fit every noteworthy verse into this, and verses included will end up inevitably getting over/underrepresented. Also, are there people who have a relationship with less unified IPs like Nintendo/Microsoft/PC like Cal has with Nintendo?

I don't think there's as much comedy or room for new interesting story with continents like bookland and TV/Movieland as there is with America/Japan/Australia/Antarctica.

Did anyone ever think of having an area where they can find obscure indie games, VNs, and other things which are surprisingly powerful?

We're currently discussing a compromise between making our world expansive while still being down to earth.

There are many great ideas being mentioned here but sadly I think many of them won't make the cut, and that disgusts me. Darkanine having a school is a solid idea, though, and I'm strongly considering it.

Also, while we're not focusing on character development now, we're going to need to consider many of the staff members and how it's essential that they play some sort of role in the story, at least a side quest. We're going to need room for that.

So the idea is to just slap in Seireitei and use it to make our planet super big via scaling? That could work. Perhaps we could use it to replace Shonen Jump. That would add to the feeling of having an open world, and changing the name can make it more inclusive to anime and manga that aren't part of Shonen Jump.

@Agnaa

You bring up a good point on bias. Same thing with your point on Cal.

I just have this overwhelming desire to please everyone. There are times where I play games with big crossover worlds and thought to myself, "I wish this verse were represented more", so I have the desire to make sure as little people have to tell themselves that as possible. You're right; unfortunately that isn't possible.

I more just don't think that separating things by medium and then theme (continents for TV/movie, books, games etc) is more useful for including a bunch of things than separating things by theme and then more specific themes (continents being America/Japan/Australia/Antarctica).

Also, having the continents based on themes rather than mediums can cut out a bit of redundancy. You won't need to establish/create two separate superhero cities, one on the comic book continent and one on the movie/TV continent.

Agnaa said:
Also, having the continents based on themes rather than mediums can cut out a bit of redundancy. You won't need to establish/create two separate superhero cities, one on the comic book continent and one on the movie/TV continent.
That's a really good point.

What are the combat mechanics of the game? I may need to know this before suggesting some wordbuilding ideas.

Are we still on developing the world? What else needs to be discussed?

Already have a interesting backstory for myself lol.

>Nintendoland, Playstation land and X-Box land are a thing

Ok now there has to be a reference to Neptunia in this matter

For those who don't know, Hyperdimension Neptunia is a parody of the game industry and those lands are a thing in it, called respectively Lowee, Lastation and Leanbox. There's also one for Sega, called Planeptune (the name is based on a never released console, the Sega Neptune)

I am unable to send blog comments on mobile for some reason. Is it okay if I tell you about an attack idea here?

VSB RPG
The default battle system looks like this. That should give you a good idea.

I wanted to try downloading some scripts for an Earthbound battle system but unfortunately the only one I could find was for regular VX and not VX Ace. Maybe it was XP, but I don't know. Either way I won't be able to use an Earthbound battle system.

Back