• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lati@s speed upgrade

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
It's five in the morning so I'm gonna make this quick. Luster Purge is a burst of light. All Pokedex entries call it that. In all the main series games, it is portrayed as an omnidirectional burst of white light (the anime and manga don't do that tho). The 3-D games even have what appears to be a mini sun created first. Latias' Mist Ball should be just as fast and they should be capable of dodging each other's attacks.

This scales to...no one outside of these two. I don't recall them interacting with any other legendaries often, and when they do, they're portrayed as speedy even to the box art legendaries. At best this could scale to Rayquaza and Deoxys by proxy.

When have Latias and Latios ever fought? I don't remember any instance of this.

It could work, but the fact that the anime/manga doesn't have it that way is troubling, as it would suggest that their counterparts "work" differently and thus may not scale to others if they were to use it there. (Basically, primary canon L > secondary canon L, so no scaling to other secondary canon pkmn)

...Not that it matters since it doesn't seem to scale to anyone anyways. And I am shakey about scaling Latios to Latias, especially since I don't remember them having a combative relationship?

Well, you're half right. Latias is more defensive (barely) while Latios is more offensive (barely). They share the same speed stat (not that it matters) and Mist Ball is literally just Luster Purge with a different animation and exclusive learner.

@Cal

I don't think we can calculate KE from this, not that it'd affect their tiering, I think.

Wait, why are the stats brought up if they don't matter?

Uh, Mist Ball behaving differently and being exclusive to a certain Pokemon makes it very much different from Luster Purge. I don't see the similarity, especially when one is an omnidirectional burst of light, whereas the other is a ball of mist?

It could bump them to High 7-A likely, but I don't even remember the formula so it's dead in the water anyway.

@SD. Nah. I mean the effects, damage output, typing, etc. is exactly the same.

I.E., both are psychic special moves with a base power of 70 that has a 50% chance to lower special attack.

Ah I see, well even then we can't assume that less there be a non-game mechanic connection that has more weight than typing.

Also Luster Purge drops sp def, only mist ball drops sp atk.

Fair enough. I understand that. Can you guys agree on a Latios upgrade tho? I feel as that is acceptable. Latias can be debated, and I doubt Rayquaza can scale.

@Cal part of that is Game Mechanics Only thing that isn't is the chance to lower AP.

This is Mist Ball's description to those it may concern.

A mist-like flurry of down envelops and damages the target. This may also lower the target's Sp. Atk stat.

And here's an image of it.

Latias Mist Ball Adventures

Nah, if it had more changes (drastic ones that would effect most of the verse) then yes, but for now no.

He's not as fast as the legendary speed boost abusing Ninjask. Give him enough turns and he'll be faster than time ovo

Ninjask need nerf

(inb4 Ninjask gets a Z-Move which removes the speed boost limit, and becomes god tier in game)

Am I the only one who finds Pokemon Speed stats to be hilariously stupid, but awesome. A ninja bug is faster than a Time Lord, Space Goddess, Antimatter Phantom, God, A giant Green Dragon, a fast Tree Dinosaur, a Fire Dragon and even a freaking Ninja Frog.....Think about that...

And said mega Ninjask should look more like a Persian since that's the real gen 1 Crit abuser.

The strategy would be to set up Relect and Light Screen and switch to Ninjask. Fury Cutter a few times to rack up that speed boost. Then Mega Evolve and sweep with a guaranteed crit buffed Fury Cutter.

Ninjask isn't as fast as a literal alien virus that specifically adapted itself for speed though, as absurd as that sounds.

So is the only thing being upgraded Latios' attack speed?

Yes, then mid-way in the fight he starts going so fast he attacks twice per turn, thrice per turn, etc, etc, until he gains instantaneous attack speed.

Latios all around is being upgraded. It's status of being one of the fastest legendaries canonically even without this feat supports that.

Nah. They were equal. Latios was just the protective brother type.

Also, relativistic KE got me Large Mountain+. Did it for fun.

I said it was just was for fun. And it uses its KE for Zen Headbutt. I did limit it to 93% SoL.

For stuff to be expected lightspeed at minimum a few criterias have to be fulfilled as the Laser/Light dodging feats page details. Simply being called light doesn't qualify and the expanding ball of light seen in the 3-D games wouldn't exactly qualify as realistic light source in my book either (since it don't think it to be an actual sun or similar).

Back