• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Joseph hits on the wrong girl

Correct me if I am wrong, but question: Volume 5 onwards Yang learned to keep herself level headed despite how angry or excited she may get, however her in volumes 1-3 she was still prone to being easily taunted and provoked. Can Joseph, being pretty smart and a colossal braggart, actually figure out he's outmatched at long range and goad Yang into an infight?

How well can he take Yang's attacks BTW? I mean, if he can use Ripple to win is one thing, but if Yang can take him out quickly that chance may be slim.

Yes, volumes 1-3 Yang is more hotheaded but it also means she's far less likely to hold back with her semblance

He CAN taunt her, but in character Joseph would be equally likely and entirely in character to try to flirt with an attractive girl his age like Yang

She can take attacks from things over 4x stronger than Joseph due to her aura

They know this is a battle. At most Joseph would make flirty comments during the fight, but actually trying to flirt with her instead of fighting is not going to happen.

I can see Joseph hitting on her at first and that triggering the fight >_>, however I can also see Joseph quickly realizing that, from what I understand, he can't get close to Yang and resorting to taunts (that he doesn't really mean in a personal sense) or tricks to try to make Yang fight him close (he did manage to goad or trick Wham, Esidisi, Straizo and IIRC Kars to his plans) and then realize fighting close isn't hurting her and her punches are actually getting deadlier, to finally decide going for Ripple hax.

Joseph is easily one of the most pragmatic JoJos to try something like that, the issue is whether he can endure to pull it off or if Yang will overwhelm him before he can.

WeeklyBattles said:
Yes, volumes 1-3 Yang is more hotheaded but it also means she's far less likely to hold back with her semblance
He CAN taunt her, but in character Joseph would be equally likely and entirely in character to try to flirt with an attractive girl his age like Yang

She can take attacks from things over 4x stronger than Joseph due to her aura
For one, Yang's a minor. I don't think Joseph is gonna be flirting with a minor. Second of all, he's trying to KILL HER. Why on earth would Joseph flirt with someone he's trying to kill?

17 isn't a minor, depending where you are. Where I live it's 18, but many of the other US states have 17 as age of consent.

Wokistan said:
17 isn't a minor, depending where you are. Where I live it's 18, but many of the other US states have 17 as age of consent.
Okay, I suppose, but it's still towing the line. Either way, Jojo is trying to kill Yang, why would he flirt with her?

I don't know. I could think of some fictional characters who would do that but idk joseph well enough to say that he conclusively would.

I'm just observing this one.

Joseph is just 19 in part 2, btw. I don't think Joseph would really mean the flirting mid-fight if he tries something like that, but he would resort to anything to throw his opponents off balance and get an advantage.

At most jojo would flirt before rhe fight thus initiating it he wouldn't just stop fighting and hit on yang

Taking Aura and Semblance into account does Yang overwhelm Joseph too quickly or she'll need quite a bit of buildup before she can knock him out easily? If she needs buildup Joseph will likely notice she's getting stronger as she accumulates damage and go for Ripple (like the mind hax in the fight against Caesar or the stunt he used as a kid to disable the pilot in front of Speedwagon).

For now I'll go with Joseph though, even if Yang can whistand all his attacks and heavily hurt him back with her semblance, Joseph was in similar situations against Straizo, Santana, Wham and Esidisi. IIRC all of them shrug Joseph's normal attacks and kill him with a single blow, as well as having very dangerous and lethal ranged abilities (Blood Laser for Straizo, the boiling blood for Esidisi and the Holy Sandstorm variations for Wham) but Joseph managed to outsmart them for the Ripple attack needed.

TartaChocholate said:
Taking Aura and Semblance into account does Yang overwhelm Joseph too quickly or she'll need quite a bit of buildup before she can knock him out easily? If she needs buildup Joseph will likely notice she's getting stronger as she accumulates damage and go for Ripple (like the mind hax in the fight against Caesar or the stunt he used as a kid to disable the pilot in front of Speedwagon).
For now I'll go with Joseph though, even if Yang can whistand all his attacks and heavily hurt him back with her semblance, Joseph was in similar situations against Straizo, Santana, Wham and Esidisi. IIRC all of them shrug Joseph's normal attacks and kill him with a single blow, as well as having very dangerous and lethal ranged abilities (Blood Laser for Straizo, the boiling blood for Esidisi and the Holy Sandstorm variations for Wham) but Joseph managed to outsmart them for the Ripple attack needed.
Her semblance isn't too useful here. It grows stronger the more damage she takes, and since Yang's durability is much higher than Jojo's AP, her semblance isn't going to be too powerful.

Ah, I see. All the more reason why Joseph will quickly realize he needs a decisive blow of some kind, and being weaker actually gives him more time to do so. It... really looks more and more like his fights agains the Pillar Men.

I would go for Joseph FRA, but Hamon isn't nearly as easy to kill or incap with on people who don't take damage to sunlight.

Just one question, should aura protect against mindhax?

To be fair, in Speedwagon's flashback in chapter 2 of Battle Tendency, we can see that a kid Joseph, completely untrained and unaware what Ripple was, could use it to quickly and easily knock out the Pilot (a normal human) of the plane that some thugs were trying to hijack where he and his uncle were.

But your other point stands, though, whether Yang's aura would protect her or not against ripple is an important factor.

EDIT: Here's the anime versio . I'd use the manga, but I couldn't find scans without linking to the entire scanlation site (and don't know if posting that is allowed):

Sptflcrw said:
Why would it protect her?
Mostly, it depends on how exactly the aura works: is it shield that absorbs impacts? Some sort of forcefield that prevents fully direct contact as long as it's active? or simply makes the fighter more durable?. In a case like the second, for example, Joseph would have trouble conducting his ripple, but the first or third wouldn't be much of an issue in theory.

This is the first JoJo vs RWBY match I've been in, so my questions are genuine ignorance than doubting what discussions have established. So don't take them as more than that.

Hmmm, then I'll keep my vote for Joseph. If I had to take a guess:

Fight begins Joseph, underestimating Yang initially, tries a straight up fight but quickly realizes Yang completely overwhelms him in power and endurance (and perhaps skill as well), tries to keep distance, where Yang can also keeps advantage with her shots, Jojo finds himself in a pinch similar to opponents that outclassed him like the Pillar Men or Straizo and resorts to play smart, then he can goad, taunt or trick Yang into giving an opening by taking advantage of her short temper or enjoyment for battle. Sounds far fetched at first, but it is the kind of detail Joseph would notice in people to manipulate them; remember he noticed Wham's warrior pride in their first meeting and used it to convince Wham not to kill him. If this fight began because Joseph provoked it by accident, he will notice Yang's temper or deduce it from the fight. If he manages to make Yang leave herself open, he will go for an incapacitating move to finish things quickly. He knows well by this point what does and what doesn't work in the Ripple's repertoire against normal humans, and as a kid he had the power to knock out with Ripple an adult, so not unlikely he can do it to a trained martial artist now that he has trained and polished his Ripple properly.

TartaChocholate said:
Hmmm, then I'll keep my vote for Joseph. If I had to take a guess:
Fight begins Joseph, underestimating Yang initially, tries a straight up fight but quickly realizes Yang completely overwhelms him in power and endurance (and perhaps skill as well), tries to keep distance, where Yang can also keeps advantage with her shots, Jojo finds himself in a pinch similar to opponents that outclassed him like the Pillar Men or Straizo and resorts to play smart, then he can goad, taunt or trick Yang into giving an opening by taking advantage of her short temper or enjoyment for battle. Sounds far fetched at first, but it is the kind of detail Joseph would notice in people to manipulate them; remember he noticed Wham's warrior pride in their first meeting and used it to convince Wham not to kill him. If this fight began because Joseph provoked it by accident, he will notice Yang's temper or deduce it from the fight. If he manages to make Yang leave herself open, he will go for an incapacitating move to finish things quickly. He knows well by this point what does and what doesn't work in the Ripple's repertoire against normal humans, and as a kid he had the power to knock out with Ripple an adult, so not unlikely he can do it to a trained martial artist now that he has trained and polished his Ripple properly.
Joseph has better stamina and way better skill.

Joseph managed to fight Wamuu and Ultimate Kars without any rest inbetween. He'll definately be able to keep up long enough for the fight to end.

Honestly that should be added to his Stamina as a feat. I think Wammu started as the sun set and Kars became Ultimate as the sun rose and the fight continued on.

IMHO who has the better stamina isn't that much of a factor here. Both can last a long time fighting, and the battle will not last much until either Jojo disables Yang with ripple or Yang knocks out Joseph thanks to superior strength.

WHYNAUT said:
What even is the current vote count?
Yang - 3 - WeeklyBattles, ZellTemplar55, ZephyrosOmega

Joseph - 6 - LightinAnt, Supersonicstyle13, Jasonsith, Arceus0x, Sptflcrw, TartaChocholate

Draw - 2 - ThePixelKirby, Kyle Ramos

Kindly correct me if any votes are missing or misplaced. Thanks.

The Smashor said:
Yeah but Joseph dosn't have an invisible haxxed boi. (Ever. Hermit Purple sucks.)
DIO agrees.

And yeah, fighting a stand user is a different experience (no pun intended). Young Joseph is a fellow martial artist and all that.

Back