• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is Backrooms allowed in VS Battles Wiki?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone says SCP is on thin ice but when was the last time anyone actually made a thread to get rid of it?
This isn't really relevant. SCP borders on uncontrollable for the wiki, with multiple members having contributed to it or aspiring to do so. Contamination is not only a possibility, but a likelihood. The same goes doubly for the Backrooms given it lacks even the quality control of SCP.

Still, this isn't a discussion of SCP, so I suppose I will leave it at that.

This isn't really relevant. SCP borders on uncontrollable for the wiki, with multiple members having contributed to it or aspiring to do so. Contamination is not only a possibility, but a likelihood. The same goes doubly for the Backrooms given it lacks even the quality control of SCP.

Still, this isn't a discussion of SCP, so I suppose I will leave it at that.
Why isn't it?

I still have the same view as before; I'd like to wait until one Backrooms canon becomes clearly more popular than the others for an extended period of time, and just index that one.
wikidot already the most popular afaik. The most “rated” wikidot page has 11x more votes then the most popular rated Liminal archives, and wikidot having 10x more members on their discord.

Honestly if it means this can be closed quicker id be fine with just wikidot, with the pages not being scaled to other pages unless explicity interconnected and with no cross scaling to other websites or canons. Would that be fine?

wikidot already the most popular afaik. The most “rated” wikidot page has 11x more votes then the most popular rated Liminal archives, and wikidot having 10x more members on their discord.

Honestly if it means this can be closed quicker id be fine with just wikidot, with the pages not being scaled to other pages unless explicity interconnected and with no cross scaling to other websites or canons. Would that be fine?
Yeah this is fine.

That doesn't quite establish whether the wikidot, any YouTube series, any video game, etc. gets indexed. But that is useful info nonetheless.

And idk if the scaling rules need to be that harsh, just an original canon/extended canon split like with SCP should be fine.

And speaking of SCP, I feel the need to point out that we don't index fan-made SCP video games, regardless of notability, due to them being seen as fan content. Unless it's a video game directly linked to by an article/canon hub with a sufficiently safe rating on wikidot itself. That sort of precedent informs my approach to the Backrooms here.

Fair enough, i guess using that logic Kane Pixels is a no go. IIRC theres a kane pixel scale here if im not trippin

That doesn't quite establish whether the wikidot, any YouTube series, any video game, etc. gets indexed. But that is useful info nonetheless.

And idk if the scaling rules need to be that harsh, just an original canon/extended canon split like with SCP should be fine.

And speaking of SCP, I feel the need to point out that we don't index fan-made SCP video games, regardless of notability, due to them being seen as fan content. Unless it's a video game directly linked to by an article/canon hub with a sufficiently safe rating on wikidot itself. That sort of precedent informs my approach to the Backrooms here.
I mean....what's the original canon?

In SCP, original canon is along the lines of "Anything written by the author, and anything written in a canon hub which the author knowingly contributed that article to." Extended canon is "Literally everything on the site".

I mean, it's like an unwritten rule on the wiki yeah? The only time it happened was The Player from SCP Containment Breach which were moved to FC/OC wiki later.

I mean, it's like an unwritten rule on the wiki yeah? The only time it happened was The Player from SCP Containment Breach which were moved to FC/OC wiki later.
Aye, but that involved some discussion.

I personally agree with Bambu, but it isn't just up to us to decide.

Can we stop with the SCP talk now, just uneeded fluff and a timewaster.
I agree we should move on, however it is a relevant precedent to mention- it's just that conversation has drifted to focusing on that precedent rather than referencing it.

We need a serious talk about the term "fanmade". Just because it's made by random people on the internet, it doesn't mean it's fanmade.

To be fanmade it has to derive from something someone else made, and last I checked, Backrooms was made as a completely original idea that was adopted by the public.

I have absolutely no idea why this is still going. We have profiles for Slenderman and Jeff the Killer in separate canons made by different people. Why do we not just make profiles based on the main sources for Backrooms? At the very least, nothing stops the creation of profiles for Kane Pixels since we have profiles for Monument Mythos and The Mandela Catalogue.

We need a serious talk about the term "fanmade". Just because it's made by random people on the internet, it doesn't mean it's fanmade.

To be fanmade it has to derive from something someone else made, and last I checked, Backrooms was made as a completely original idea that was adopted by the public.

I have absolutely no idea why this is still going. We have profiles for Slenderman and Jeff the Killer in separate canons made by different people. Why do we not just make profiles based on the main sources for Backrooms? At the very least, nothing stops the creation of profiles for Kane Pixels since we have profiles for Monument Mythos and The Mandela Catalogue.
I see.

A verse whose published form is just a website, like SCP, and technically stuff "exclusive" to places like YouTube or Netflix

So wouldn't wikidot and liminal archives count as such?
That's not the point of contention here. The point is what counts as "main" canon. And I think that's kind of dumb because can't we just split the canons up based on where they come from?

Having multiple canons never stopped people from making Slenderman profiles.

That's not the point of contention here. The point is what counts as "main" canon. And I think that's kind of dumb because can't we just split the canons up based on where they come from?

"Some" People didn't like that idea.

Okay. I suppose that the pages can probably be created in lack of better options then, if they are sufficiently notable/popular and reliable scaling can be done.

I think the actual main issue is lack of regulation. Slenderman and Jeff the Killer profiles have nothing to do with this, given each page represents (as far as I'm aware) a notable representation of them, or at least one group/person's idea of them. As far as I can tell, the Backrooms isn't self contained in this way. "Canons" are similar in nature to SCP but lacking the feedback caveat. Thus anybody can submit anything to them and, to some extent, it will be taken as canon.

This is not an issue for, say, a video game depicting Jeff the Killer fighting Slenderman. That video game is self-contained. The same goes for the Mandela Catalogue, it's all by the same people, hosted in one central place.

That, at least, is my concern with permitting the Backrooms. It's also why I'd be in favor of scrapping SCP, for the record.

@Bambu I believe the Slenderman etc. comparison was brought up when discussing whether to allow self-contained Backrooms things, such as the YouTube series by Kane Pixels.

I brought up that for SCP we don't allow other self-contained things, as the wiki is the main canon and anything else is fan content. Jeff the Killer was brought up in response to that.

@Bambu I believe the Slenderman etc. comparison was brought up when discussing whether to allow self-contained Backrooms things, such as the YouTube series by Kane Pixels.

I brought up that for SCP we don't allow other self-contained things, as the wiki is the main canon and anything else is fan content. Jeff the Killer was brought up in response to that.
I see. I had been told that the Backrooms in general does have a rather open canon, able to be contributed to by anyone, similar to SCP but sans the rating system. My concern would be with that. For video series or what have you by individual groups or authors (a la Marble Hornets), I'd be perfectly fine with 'em.

I see. I had been told that the Backrooms in general does have a rather open canon, able to be contributed to by anyone, similar to SCP but sans the rating system. My concern would be with that. For video series or what have you by individual groups or authors (a la Marble Hornets), I'd be perfectly fine with 'em.
So is wikidot backrooms allowed?

I would say no, but that is my opinion and based purely on my admittedly limited knowledge of it.

I was interested in this topic, so I went and took a look at the wikidot.

First of all, there's seems to be set content standards, and any contributions to the canon have to be greenlit by the site admins know as "Greenlighters". Any entity numbers not currently being used require you to join the site, make the page, and send it for review before being allowed to exist on the site and in the canon. The rules for being greenlit are reasonable and strict enough, it would seem. You can't just pull up with a MFTL+, Low 2-C horse and expect to be accepted. Every accepted entity is kept in this handy list.

Unlike SCP (sorry for the comparison), the Backrooms wikidot doesn't have divergent canons. All levels and entities exist within the same story, and the pages often link to each other. Multiple pages, such as Entity 15, will draw comparison to other pages on the site, such as saying "[blank] is comparable in strength to [blank]", which would obviously lead to scaling. Multiple pages seem to have their own sub-plots, such as a rivalry between Entity 180 and Entity 7's religious followers.

So, point being;

•There is quality control. Whether or not this is enough, I do not know.

•Pages all exist under the same canon.

•Pages may contain their own sideplots underneath the umbrella of the main canon.

So is this verse more or less reliable and relevant to index than SCP for example?

Okay. I suppose that I don't mind if it is created then. Is that fine with you, Bambu?

I'd say easier to index, mainly because it's on a much smaller scale and everything seems more close together than SCP. This is, of course, because the Backrooms wikidot has only been going for about two years while SCP has been going for much longer.

As for reliable, I'm not sure. Pages do experience rewrites, there are multiple canons, and it is still a community-driven verse. As said before, the quality standards are in place, and it seems to be growing at a much slower rate than SCP (~300 pages Vs. ~5000 pages iirc) though will of course grow as time goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back