• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ikki's fights, skills and character.

Moritzva said:
I could write an essay on that, but let's start with what isn't a skilled fighter:
Dumb, ham-fisted PIS feats of killing clones by having them run into your blades and shit.
Yeah...you literally have 0 idea on Ikki's skill. Let's stop this here.

Just, just no. I'm honnestly so tired of the "ikki's feat is PIS" argument that i won't even argue against it anymore or tell you to...you know, actually read the damn series instead of making shit up. I'll just leave it be. Whatever floats your boat, if you feel like a better human being by calling stuff on a series you haven't ever read or seen, PIS, then sure i won't stop you. It's really not ideal.

I mean i guess you guys are the kind of guys that can tell when a guy is good at math, just by looking at how he crosses the street or sth like that, cus that's what this is aching to.

Or sth along the lines of. "Solving a problem in 1 second is dumb and PIS, the problem solved itself", instead of actually learning what the problem was.

The real cal howard said:
WatchMojo told me so.
Yeah this seems like a correct analysis of how people get their info nowadays. Kuudos for that.

>Watchmojo "GER the most broken hax in fiction"

>Ppl "GIORNO SOLOS FICTION"

Similar case here i guess.

SpookyShadow said:
Honestly, not talking about "skill" now, I gave Rakudai a try and really that's not my type of series.
That's another issue, no show is for everyone. There are people who dislike even series who are regarded by most as masterpieces like Death Note or Code Geass.

There are series who are regarded by few people as masterpieces like Rokka no Yuusha (which i would recommend to anyone to watch without reading the synopsis).

So there is no show that will appeal to everyone, that's not sth i can argue for or against. How many episodes did you watch btw? I would suggest a minimum of 6 or 7 episodes or so.

Ikki's still is PIS. Honestly, it is. It's just giving him absurd, extraordinary magical abilities under the guise of "skill" in order to beat increasingly esoteric threats.

At least it's better than Asterisk, though.

...speaking of which, how the **** did that happen?

Andytrenom said:
Strongest anime character: Goku
Honorable mention: Kami Tennis

Watchmojo
Yeah, Kami Tennis, such a good m8.

@Mori

Yep, exactly why i say you have no idea. Nothing of it would even fall under "magical", it's as i've said before, physically and logically possible. They give an actual explanation of how it works, instead of "lol he does", a logical and physics based explanation. It's all theoretically possible, just not practically possible. It differs from something like Kojirou from fate achieving magic with skill.

About Asterisk, wdym? How did what happen? How did asterisk get a 2nd season but not Rakudai? Idfk, Rakudai is literally just Asterisk but done right.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of series like for example Haikyuu, Gurren Lagann and Psycho Pass, series with huge character development giving every character their own mini arc and equal treating, even the minor ones and with huge metamorphosis, I'm not a guy who needs much but I'm not a fan of animes like Rakudai, Absolute Duo, Zero no Tsukaima (welp, harem, isekai, ecchi and romances overall) et cetera et cetera because they were too... dull? In my opinion, at least. I'm not calling them bad or something, but that's not something I would watch/read. Animes like MP100, HXH or FMAB (my holy trinity tbh) are great example of series where the character wasn't a hero from beginning and progressed to actually be one, having their huge ups and downs at moments. That's what I like most about anime overall, aside from OST, animations and all.

I don't remember. 3 or 4, but I'm not a big fan of "series that will start getting good from the half". I felt like it wasn't for me

The real cal howard said:
Lets be honest, when it comes to skill, we suck Ikki's dick more than Stella.
You know, I had a response for this, but I didn't want my account to be banned.

"Yeah, Kami Tennis, such a good m8."

Literally right before before refreshing this thread I noticed and changed that. Lol

>beating clones of yourself

>'outskilling' haxxy, magical gods

>analyzing abilities on the flaw

...Right.

What really confuses me is that whole thing with Rakudai and Asterisk starting exactly the same way? What's up with that?

Simple. Light Novels be generic. It's like the post-apocalypse young adult genre in for YA literature. AKA The Divergent Hunger Maze Runner Games genre.

I remember watching those a while ago! Fun stuff.

..though I can't remember if he gave a reason for the unusual similarities (even by school harem standards).

Moritzva said:
>beating clones of yourself
>'outskilling' haxxy, magical gods

>analyzing abilities on the flaw

...Right.

What really confuses me is that whole thing with Rakudai and Asterisk starting exactly the same way? What's up with that?
>Yes, cus they were very flawed

>Yes "outskiling" haxy gods. Being haxy and being skilled are not correlated, they are usually opposites, the more hax you have the less skill you have by virtue of not needing to use as much skill cus hax makes up for it.

>Yeah, people do that. Just not to that extent.

About that well, it's unknown really. I don't think there is any reason besides...idk chance. Bahamut (whatever it's full name is) is also at it's core similar. The MC is believed to be the absolute weakest, but her turns to be an absolute powerhouse after he beats the most popular girl on the school in regards to her strength. And another show too that i can't remember the name of.

Moritzva said:
I remember watching those a while ago! Fun stuff.

..though I can't remember if he gave a reason for the unusual similarities (even by school harem standards).
The unusual similarities are because they're both walking over well-tread ground. There's been many light novels before them, they know what tropes people like and they employ them. Rakudai's LN was first written in 2013. The SAO anime's first season ended in December 2012.

Firephoenixearl said:
About that well, it's unknown really. I don't think there is any reason besides...idk chance. Bahamut (whatever it's full name is) is also at it's core similar. The MC is believed to be the absolute weakest, but her turns to be an absolute powerhouse after he beats the most popular girl on the school in regards to her strength. And another show too that i can't remember the name of.
Did I hear Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut being mentioned? Also, Lux is believed to be the weakest because he only dodged and never attack for over 100 matches because he only saw those as training for his foresight and power mimicry. His alterego, the Black Hero, is feared as an extremely powerful Drag-Knight.

Firephoenixearl said:
About Asterisk, wdym? How did what happen? How did asterisk get a 2nd season but not Rakudai? Idfk, Rakudai is literally just Asterisk but done right.
What happened is that A-1 announced the 2nd season before the 1st even finished airing, so they had no idea how it would sell. Season 1 didn't sell well, season 2 sold worse. Thus, Asterisk will likely never get season 3 despite ending on a cliffhanger.

The "New student that is considered weak but is actually hyper OP" trope I feel like can be a genre in and of itself

Andytrenom said:
The "New student that is considered weak but is actually hyper OP" trope I feel like can be a genre in and of itself
Its a genre I dislike for existing

Don't make your character OP without reason, y'all. Writing advice from an aspiring writer.

I mean, Simon started as an underdog and became powerful with development. I wouldn't really think of that as "doing an OP protagonist right" since it is more doing a standard protagonist story here

SpookyShadow said:
There are still protagonists that become this powerful but with bullshit and nakama power, Simon's development was one of my favorites
I mean that's actually stupid. The power of love and friendship thing, it literally has ruined entire shows for me. We all remember that time Natsu fought a god of war and 1 shot him because the tomodachi kuns existed.

Tropes aren't the same across media. Its good to remember Fairy Tail is one of the most egregious at using the Nakama stuff and can't be compared to every other series.

KnightOfSunlight said:
Its a genre I dislike for existing

Don't make your character OP without reason, y'all. Writing advice from an aspiring writer.
Most of the time people are still OP without a reason, you just try to add one into the story that is sensible enough. Making it sensible enough is what matters.

... Or really, sometimes it literally doesn't matter why they are OP as long as you know what you are doing with them. Jack Rakan is one of Negima's most ridiculous characters and in-universe meme cheat code joke, but even before it was revealed how he got so strong his antics and actions and personality made him one of the favorites for fans.

Deconstruction? He uses it if he's backed into a corner, same for his Soul destruction. The only thing really stopping him from using them from the get go is his morale compass.

Back