• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Personally I have no idea who asterisk and obelisk are, but other users have told me that they're really well known over in Europe.

I feel like the name Gilgamesh is well known even if most people really don't know who he is. Sorta like how most people will recongize Wonder Woman even if they don't fully understand her basic story.

Ogbunabali said:
I have a very hard time believing that considering The Epic of Gilgamesh is one of the most influential and important pieces in literature history and is the first epic ever.
At this point it's denial then. The fact that you have people who all went to school telling you otherwise proves such a thing.

Qawsedf234 said:
I feel like the name Gilgamesh is well known even if most people really don't know who he is. Sorta like how most people will recongize Wonder Woman even if they don't fully understand her basic story.
Ii can guarantee you if I just went and asked a few random people about Gilgamesh that they'd look at me like I was insane or in puzzlement.

Asterix and Obelix are pretty big in Europe and some parts of Asia, kinda like Tintin. They more than make up for their place IMO

Anyway if we are removing stuff like Kirby characters like Dilbert, Frosty the Snowma and similar should go as well.

@Dragon that's literal anecdotal evidence and none of us can prove either of our points since we don't have statics on these things.

@Dragon. Due to this conversation, I randomly asked my ma if she knew who Gilgamesh was. She said yes, but didn't remember where he was from. I had to remind her, and she remembered learning it in high school. On the opposite end, my aunt said she didn't.

Zark2099 said:
Asterix and Obelix are pretty big in Europe and some parts of Asia, kinda like Tintin. They more than make up for their place IMO
Wait, does this not contradict what you told me earlier?

"Having a strong following in a few countries doesn't equate to international knowledge"

That list is influential, not iconic. King Kong was influential for its SFX, kinda like Jurassic Park, but he was relatively unknown until the 60s internationally

Ogbunabali said:
@Dragon that's literal anecdotal evidence and none of us can prove either of our points since we don't have statics on these things.
Yes and as such Gilgamesh should be removed. That's the point.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Ii can guarantee you if I just went and asked a few random people about Gilgamesh that they'd look at me like I was insane or in puzzlement.
I do agree that most people don't know who he is. I just think that the name would be vaguely recongizable to people. But who knows, I could very well be overestimating how common his name is in the popular lexicon.

But back to my original point, aren't Daffy and Donald pretty iconic? Or are they just not on the same level as their counterparts?

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I completely disagree because that can be said about every single character on that list.

Zark2099 said:
A few countries = a continent and a half apparently
Are we sure "Big and Europe" = All of Europe and "Parts of Asia" = "Half of Asia"?

Where is your statistics for this?

Ogbunabali said:
Dragonmasterxyz said:
I completely disagree because that can be said about every single character on that list.
Goes to show how troublesome this list is. I am not the only one who agrees here. I heavily disagree with you saying that Gilgamesh is iconic. Neither of us can prove our points.

The Asterix series is one of the most popular Franco-Belgian comics in the world, with the series being translated into 111 languages and dialects Source: Wikipedia.

They don't translate you for the lulz

Wokistan said:
Personally I have no idea who asterisk and obelisk are, but other users have told me that they're really well known over in Europe.
As an Italian, yes, I can assure you they are that well know at least in southern-west Europe. Even a new movie of them is supposed to come out.

@Dragon I studied Gilgamesh' myths at 1st grade for at maximum at moth or so, as they are the most ancient mythological tales known, as well as having inspired Semitic culture, texts and mythology. Don't know how it works for other countries though.

What about Sun Wukong?

I agree that it's troublesome but I don't think it should be removed, I think it should just be left alone as it is and never be touched again.

I had never heard of Sun Wukong before this site.

If the tag stays then there should be some write criteria about how to use it. Like the person being at least a 20 years old or being recognizable in multiple countries. Or stuff along those lines.

Zark2099 said:
The Asterix series is one of the most popular Franco-Belgian comics in the world, with the series being translated into 111 languages and dialects Source: Wikipedia.
They don't translate you for the lulz
Okay, but can you literally go to a person and ask if they know what Asterix is. Is it iconic or just very popular. Wwe had this same discussion with Luffy.

Sun Wukong is a mythological figure known in India and China, which make up like, 33% of the world or something, but idk tbh if it should still be there or not

Let's try to restrain and organise the pure chaos of this discussion.

I am unwilling to outright delete the category as it serves a good purpose, detailed earlier, but maybe we could rename it to "notable characters" instead, if that solves some of your problems.

Would this be a better solution than currently?

This list is extremely subjective, and not in a good kind of way. The fact that we are having so many arguments over this thing shows it's an issue and shows what characters can just slip by.

Probably. But it would be a good idea to set some baseline criteria for the tag.

If I go outside, today in doxxbait, and ask who Kermit the Frog was, they'd probably reiterate the question back to me. Idk why they removed Luffy or whatever, but pop culture is different from across the world

"Notable" isn't really a less subjective term, but it is less of an assertion than iconic. What we really need is some sort of clear standard.

We removed Luffy as while he is popular, he is not an icon as Goku, Superman and Mario are. And I agree with Kermit.

Notable would at least be more easily defined as very popular and well-known, with long-lasting appeal. I don't see that as particularly hard to define.

Back