• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Dragon Ball Z iteration of Goku was the most internationally broadcasted one, and many other media support this motif.

Marvel tends to always push Spider-Man the most, and internationally, the 60s Spider-Man show was the first exposure of many people to superhero world. Even today, when asking a person to name a few superheroes, Spider-Man will probably be the first one they say.

Yes, it's hard to find a definite version, but keep in mind that if a new user does infact find the iconic page cluttered, it will reflect on the wiki standards

A good example of Iconic characters is King Kong, you can walk in the street and ask a random person who is King Kong and he/she will answer.

The only I dont understand is why there are many Goku and Superman incarnations?

Godzilla only has one Composite incarnation. My point is to choose 1 Goku and Superman incarnation to represent all the rest.

"Notable characters" would likely result in too many entries, which would turn the category inconvenient and clunky. I think that there is a tendency to overcomplicate this topic with too strict or too lenient interpretations of the term "iconic".

Remember that our main purpose is to make sure that the wiki is in as good condition as possible, and this category is an important part of that, given that it gets casual visitors interested in our work.

Sonic the Hedgehog and Mario are examples of definitely iconic characters even to this date. Some people you will meet would probably describe the Console War accurately, in fact.

Well if that's the case I wouldn't mind if the categorie stays the same but don't mind what everyone decides

I agree with James Bond it makes sense same with Xenomorph, I doubt there's anyone who hasn't at least heard of alien in some one way or another. And there should definitely be only one character it looks silly to have 10 of the same ones, especially since DBZ Goku is probably the one that comes to your mind when you think of Goku same with kid Naruto as well.

Mario and Sonic were like the main gaming rivalry in the 90's and the former is the most recognized video game character ever so they should definitely be iconic

Anyway, I have to go to sleep now. I hope that this (unexpectedly controversial) topic does not get out of hand in the meantime.

Please remember what I mentioned about taking care to ensure the wellbeing of the wiki and not doing anything that is detrimental in this regard.

Well I meant recognized in that you could show anyone a pic of Mario and they'd most likely recognize him but yeah that is true lol

I think it just looks unprofessional and pandering to include multiple versions of the same characters and characters from the same verse (kinda like wanking).

Also, in terms of being browsed by casual user, characters like Dorothy or Dillbert are pointless additions since no one is going to make or view their matches and profiles.

It is just a confused category in general

I don't think it should be deleted beacuse as Ant said it's very useful for new and more casual users. I would however agree with this thing never being touched again, and just leave it as it is.

Honestly I could get on board with deleting it. Different things are more popular in different locations (idk a ton of people on the list because I'm American and not super into foreign media, for instance) and iconic has no sole definition.

I also don't think people are really searching for dudes by categories like that.

Ogbunabali said:
Also on the Gilgamesh thing, the only reason I would guess that you would think that is because I imagine you talk to people in the anime/games/nerd circle, but I would bet if you go on the street and ask a random person who Gilgamesh is they would think of the one from the mythology and probably not even know what Fate is.
If you asked them "who is Gilgamesh", in a best-case scenario they would think he'd be some Babylonian King, like Hammurabi or Nabucodonosor, not the actual hero.

In a worst case scenario, they'd think you lost sight of a friend from whichever country in the world.

If you asked a random person on the street about Gilgamesh, they'd look at you in confusion. Let's be completely honest and blunt here. Most random people couldn't tell you who Gilgamesh is to save their lives.

I'm pretty sure you are highly downplaying how iconic the first ever "superhero" in history is. Pretty sure there isn't a single person that hasn't learned about him in school, and whether you have a vague memory or not most probably you have would have some kind of recollection.

They taught about Gilgamesh back in like 6th grade. That's not even that long ago for me since i'm now a junior, and I don't really remember anything about it besides that he was Mesopotamian, a king, and had an epic written about him. It's not useful information that I need to constantly be knowing so I discarded it.

Now consider that many people are further removed from 6th grade than I am, and have other things going on in their lives.

I have to doubt that, because if you have any sort of literature subject in school you will 100% learn about Gilgamesh.

Shouldn't Daffy and Donald Duck be Iconic? I feel if you know about Mickey or Bugs you likely know about their duck foils.

Matthew Schroeder said:
How about this category just gets deleted instead? It's not necessary and far too subjective and creating all this problem.
It is not creating any problems. It is completely harmless, and useful for casual visitors. You are not being helpful.

Ogbunabali said:
I have to doubt that, because if you have any sort of literature subject in school you will 100% learn about Gilgamesh.
Odd, I had literature in school across all secondary and high school.

Absolutely no "Gilgamesh"

Ogbunabali said:
What school did you go to and where? I can guarantee you that Gilgamesh is not brought up regularly in my area. I took literature all throughout my academic career before college. Nothing. There are people in my college learning about him for the first time. That's just a fact of the matter.

If we are to keep it we should establish some sort of concrete criteria (like if it needs global recognition, a certain degree of merchandising, etc.)

I have a very hard time believing that considering The Epic of Gilgamesh is one of the most influential and important pieces in literature history and is the first epic ever.

I am fine with somebody removing Gilgamesh and Luffy then, but we should still have some sort of entry level category for browsing popular and well-known characters. Renaming it to "notable characters" is at least preferable to deleting it outright.

Back