• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I've been noticing there's a lot of inconsistencies between our profiles in terms of format. Here's some things that need to be fixed:

- Stand users need to have the same format for powers/abilities: Being detailed is fine and all (@Promestein) but some profiles are getting to chaotic to quickly analyze and extrapolate from.

For example, this WAS Jotaro (I like this because it clearly separates the stand user and their strengths/abilities and their stand)

Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Star Platinum which has Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Enhanced Senses, Size Manipulation, Body Control (Can extend its index finger), Super Breath, Selective Intangibility, Non-Corporeality and Invisibility. | Same abilities as prior except for Time Stop (Can stop time for up to 5 seconds), Minor Resistance to Time Stop (Can see and think within stopped time, as well as move for a brief moment within time stop via using his personal time stop at the cost of using up his 5 second limit).

This is Jotaro now (I don't like this as much because it's unnecessarily detailed and doesn't clearly seperate the stand user from the stand)

Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Enhanced Senses with Star Platinum (Star Platinum can see for kilometers, and its precision is so great that it can perfectly sketch a tsetse fly from a low-quality, dark photograph, safely remove DIO's flesh buds, which even the world's greatest surgeons could not accomplish, and it can catch the Lovers, a Stand small enough to fit within a human's ear), Body Control (Star Platinum can extend its index finger up to two meters), Sizeshifting, Super Breath, Selective Intangibility (Star Platinum can even phase its limbs into another person's body), Invisibility, and Non-Corporeal with Star Platinum (As a Stand, Star Platinum can only be seen by other Stand users and can only be harmed by other Stands), Non-Physical Interaction (Stands can interact with ghosts and other Stands) | All previous abilities, Time Stop(Star Platinum: The World can stop time for up to five seconds), Limited Resistance to Time Stop (Jotaro can see and think within stopped time as well as move at the cost of his own personal 5 second limit)

You can see they are essentially the same abilities. I think we should be aiming for a middle ground in terms of being concise and detailed. We should only be expanding on areas that are vague/unclear, like Body Control (and specifiying how it's only his fingers) and his resistance to time stop. There's no need to expand on his Enhanced Senses, those are covered in Notable Attacks/Techniques, no reason to repeat the same thing over and over.

- Relevant AP/Strength feats need to be easily accessible on all profiles: In a lot of VsBattles there's a lot of confusion as to how strong they actually are because the feats are not on the profiles. This needs to be changed by linking the calc to every characters AP, or at least which character they scale to who is affected by said calc.

In general GREAT examples of profiles and general structure (disincluding powers/abilities) include - Jotaro Kujo, Dio Brando, Giorno Giovanna, Jonathan Joestar,

In general, POOR examples of profiles and general structure include - Joseph Joestar (oh god who changed his profile), many many more.

- Lots of profiles are getting cringe galleries: This one may just be me but do I really need to go to Joseph's page and see all these AMV fanart videos? Is it relevant to the character? I mean I can understand the HtF and manga art, but do we need every low quality picture in existance to really understand who he is?

I wanted to see what everbody thinks about going along with this.

There are AMV in Joesph's page? You sure those aren't the OSTs from the games you're talking about?

Otherwise, I generally agree with everything that's been said here @Deluxe

Welcome back my dude

I guess they're not, it's more of a novelty. But given more profiles have been getting that treatment lately, its unlikely to change.

Back to the things we agree on, since its more of a quality change than a content one, I think a member or two would suffice and then we could begin work on the profiles.

More differentiation between Stand user and Stand would be great. I was working on actually getting that done properly on other pages I was editing. Linking to feats is good too.

Generally speaking, I think it's better to be descriptive and accurate in Powers and Abilities; people should be able to get the gist of every relevant power from looking at that section without needing to comb through the notable attacks/techniques; they should if they want the full picture, but the Powers and Abilities should be provide a basic rundown.

@Prom I agree with you on principle but if we're being honest, people only really look at powers/abilties and attacks/techniques in detail if they're not familiar with the character.

And it's not like saying "Enhanced Senses" and leaving it at that is being too vague, technically it perfectly describes what Star Platinum is capable of. It's just that going into specifics on something that is self-explanatory is rendundant, especially if you're just going to write it out again in notable attacks/techniques.

Enhanced Senses is definitely too vague. Is that good hearing? Good smell? It does not at all describe anything near what Star Platinum's senses and precision are capable of; it's extremely misleading, since Star Platinum's precision was basically its only power besides punching good for 99% of Stardust Crusaders.

Well what enhanced sense does Star Platinum not have?

Describing what he's capable of with the ability should be a technique. I don't understand why we need:

Enhanced Senses with Star Platinum (Star Platinum can see for kilometers, and its precision is so great that it can perfectly sketch a tsetse fly from a low-quality, dark photograph, safely remove DIO's flesh buds, which even the world's greatest surgeons could not accomplish, and it can catch the Lovers, a Stand small enough to fit within a human's ear)

And then this again:

• Precision: Star Platinum is incredibly precise, capable of surgically removing DIO's flesh buds from the Polnareff and Kakyoin's brains without causing any damage, something that even the world's greatest surgeons could accomplish. It was also able to accurately sketch a photorealistic drawing of a tsetse fly from a small, low-quality photo, and it caught the Lovers, an incredibly small Stand. Lastly, its eyesight can make out objects from kilometers away as well as catch Daniel J. D'Arby cheating by second dealing.
One or the other, right?

It's better to have a page be thorough than be lacking important information in the place where most people - fans or otherwise - look. I'd be fine with shortening the description in the Powers and Abilities section but I don't think there should be nothing.

I know but there's a difference between being thorough and detailed and literally just repeating the same thing over and over. The problem with the profile is it's not organized, not that it isn't detailed (because it is).

It's not repeating the same thing over and over, though. The important information is in the Powers and Abilities section, detailed as necessary, and more in-depth information is located in the notable attacks/techniques. Having explanations in Powers and Abilities is important.

It's not necessary to explain because enhanced senses is really self-explanatory to anyone who reads it. It instantly conveys that Star Platinum has a hightened ability to pick up on things that normal people cannot. I don't need to tell you the feats that prove it because it isn't introducing any new information to help clarify what it means.

I would agree with it on body control, because by default it conveys that he can greatly alter his body but there's the problem - it's restricted to only his fingers. That's why I agree it's important to say: Body Control (Can extend its middle and index finger), because it lets you know that yeah, technically he can control his body but it's in a pretty limited way. The same doesn't apply with enhanced senses.

At the end of the day it's all about finding a balance between being concise and being detailed, I don't think it's worth repeating the same thing in two different sections for the sake of being thorough. Cluttering up/boating the profile in detail will only make it unappealing and more frusturating to navigate thus producing the opposite intended effect.

@SomebodyData what do you think?

Here's what I propose for Jotaro:

Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Star Platinum which has Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Enhanced Senses, Size Manipulation, Body Control (Can extend its index and middle fingers), Super Breath, Non-Corporeality, Selective Intangibility and Invisibility. | All previous abilities, Star Platinum: The World which has Time Stop (Can stop time for up to five seconds), Limited Resistance to Time Stop (Can see and think within stopped time as well as move at the cost of using his own personal five second limit)

What did I take out?

Every use of Star Platinum's name besides the one from the start, no need to say "Star Platinum can stop time for five seconds" if you can just say "Can stop time for five seconds".

You'll also see that I immediately list Jotaro's abilities first before I go into Star Platinum so as to follow along with the respective key. The words "Star Platinum which has..." is also important, because Star Platinum IS an ability of his (not equipment), he just also carries a bunch of other abilities that also need to be explained.

I think this should be the standard format for Stand users, just substitute specific abilities. Any suggestions/thoughts?

I'm fine with the change in format but removing all the description? Nah.

Just saying, adding too much detail in powers/abilities really does make a lot of characters unreadable. I don't know if you changed the Joseph profile but it 100% went from "huh okay" to "oh my god why do I have to read an essay what does he do"

But I guess we can see what everyone else thinks.

I mean, I hardly think it's unreadable. There have been pages that have been much worse, and I know, because I've written some of those pages and trimmed them down. Trimming them down is fine but I really don't think it's excessive at all right now. A bit clunky, maybe.

But yeah.

I'd settle for a middle ground here, AKA doing something like this: Enhanced Sight, Can extend its index and middle finger and so on. We use some words to describe his power, we link the short description to the power and leave the long explanation in the Notable A/T. This way it's compact, we don't lose too much information and it's still possible to get the gist of what he's able to do.

@Promestein (and others), I did a major cleanup on the Dio Brando profile.

Major changes that I made:

- Separated his powers/abilities using tabbers for each of his key, that way it's less cluttered and easier to navigate. I tried to keep a lot of detail and the scans provided.

- Changed his bio as it was a little heavy on spoilers and light on facts, but I did end up keeping a lot.

- Changed every instance of "the World" to "The World" (this annoyed me greatly lol)

- General cleaning/reformatting.

What do you think? Does it look better or worse?

It looks better.

Personally, the ability tab thing always looked kinda yucky for me, but it's becoming a reoccurring thing as of late, so nothing I can do.

I saw it on the Kirito page and it looked like the cleanest way to organize characters with massive changes and revisions in their abilities. I tried to re-word it but it still ended up being a huge ass complicated paragraph, at least now non JoJo fans can understand what abilities he has.

The yucky thing for me is all the cringy unrelated pictures from different media and whatnot, It's absolutely revolting aesthetic wise.

Back