• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Anyway, what is basically required is being a signature character with extreme levels of popularity and widespread appeal, but it isn't an exact science where exactly to draw the line.

Antvasima said:
Anyway, what is basically required is being a signature character with extreme levels of popularity and widespread appeal, but it isn't an exact science where exactly to draw the line.
Superman, Goku, Naruto, a few Disney characters, Harry Potter.

This is the level that'd fit in then. Not stuff like Jotaro who is specific to one single niche in Japan or Luffy, who is popular in Japan and slightly popular everywhere else.

Kepekley23 said:
No, he is most definitely not. Sales don't mean popularity.

Goku and Naruto are the most popular Japanese comicbook characters in the world - by far. Most people in the American continent don't know anything about One Piece, that's for sure.
If I remember correctly, One Piece is easily outselling both of them at least.

I still think one character per verse should apply, since if they are considered an "icon", they should at bare minimum solely represent their franchise wholely. 20 characters from the marvel universe, 3 different versions of the same person and some zeitgeist characters shouldn't happen in Iconic characters. It is just weird that there are 111 characters and counting considered as "iconic".

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Yes, but is he really iconic? Or is he just popular? Is he truly on the scale of say Goku or Mario or Superman in that category?
I suppose that is a good point. I am not sure if he qualifies then.

DMB 1 said:
Also, may I ask how is Gilgamesh an iconic character? The first time I ever heard of him was when I studied him during 1st grade, and that's it.
Other than that, I've never heard of him being so popular or well-known, and the closest I got was because of this Gilgamesh, which shouldn't count.

DMB 1 said:
Also, may I ask how is Gilgamesh an iconic character? The first time I ever heard of him was when I studied him during 1st grade, and that's it.

Other than that, I've never heard of him being so popular or well-known, and the closest I got was because of this Gilgamesh, which shouldn't count.
Gilgamesh is the earliest known hero of human mythology itself, and has been well known for several thousand years. If that isn't long-lasting appeal, I do not know what qualifies.

Js250476 said:
Yes One Piece is the best selling manga in the world so it has that going for it
Sales don't mean anything.

Golgo-13's sales are comparable to Dragon Ball and Naruto as well.

Golgo-13 is a name that lots of people in this thread haven't ever heard in their lifes.

Well, true..but...who actually knows this. When I hear Gilgamesh, people are usually talking about the Final Fantasy character or the Fate character.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I feel like this category is going to become more trouble than it's worth.
It is a useful category for casual entry level visitors to this wiki who want to quickly browse for characters that they recognise. It is the reason why I created it in the first place. It increases our popularity in the long run.

To my knowledge, an "Iconic character" is the one that you can just ask a random person on the street if they know or at least recognize.

They'd know the Greek deities and heroes, then some pop-culture characters such as Goku, Superman, the Ninja Turtles etcetera. Most people don't really know Gilgamesh as much, and he isn't as present in fictional works as much as other ancient mythological characters are.

Heck, when you talk about Gilgamesh, most people think of the one form the Fate series, except for people who studied his myth somewhere, like at school.

Admittedly I heard of Gilgamesh from school but outside of that most I hear is talk of the Fate or FF versions

DMB 1 said:
To my knowledge, an "Iconic character" is the one that you can just ask a random person on the street if they know or at least recognize.

They'd know the Greek deities and heroes, then some pop-culture characters such as Goku, Superman, the Ninja Turtles etcetera. Most people don't really know Gilgamesh as much, and he isn't as present in fictional works as much as other ancient mythological characters are.

Heck, when you talk about Gilgamesh, most people think of the one form the Fate series, except for people who studied his myth somewhere, like at school.
This

Anyway, I suppose that you can remove Luffy if you wish then. Although it still feel strange, considering how it tops the international comicbook sales charts, and has been constantly near the top of the scanlation sites as well.

@DMB 1

I suppose that is a valid point. It just felt strange to leave out the foundation character for the heroic myth itself.

Zark2099 said:
I still think one character per verse should apply, since if they are considered an "icon", they should at bare minimum solely represent their franchise wholely. 20 characters from the marvel universe, 3 different versions of the same person and some zeitgeist characters shouldn't happen in Iconic characters. It is just weird that there are 111 characters and counting considered as "iconic".

Just gonna say that if Luffy isn't part of he Iconic Characters than 99% of the ones there shouldn't be there either.

Also on the Gilgamesh thing, the only reason I would guess that you would think that is because I imagine you talk to people in the anime/games/nerd circle, but I would bet if you go on the street and ask a random person who Gilgamesh is they would think of the one from the mythology and probably not even know what Fate is.

Mary Poppins should probably be added as an iconic character, yes.

Ogbunabali said:
Just gonna say that if Luffy isn't part of he Iconic Characters than 99% of the ones there shouldn't be there either.
That's...part of the argument we're making. Most characters on the list follow a loose definition of "iconic" and are moreso just "notable".

Well Luffys definitely an icon in Japan ( I think p much everyone in that country has at least heard of OP pretty sure) but less so in other countries

Probably cause it's first introduced to western audiences via the 4kids version outside of the manga and the Funimation dub came out a lot later

@Zark2099

It is hard to determine which specific page that should represent (for example) Superman or Goku though, given how the former has been rebooted lots of times, and the latter is split up to different eras.

It is also hard to determine a single iconic Marvel character, when several of them probably qualify.

Well for Superman I would think it would be Post Crisis ( and by extension the modern Rebirth) but since not everyone is into comics I'm not sure

> Single iconic Marvel character

The Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man. Any of the "main" superheroes are definitely iconic and widely recognizable to the world at large.

Well, take note of what I said earlier about that the purpose of the "iconic characters" category is really mainly for our casual visitors to grow more interested in the wiki via an entry level easy to browse section that features characters that they likely recognise.

If we weed out or include too many characters the convenient functionality is lost. So we have to consider a balancing act to not cause any damage to the wiki. Don't get too fixated on the term "iconic".

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Is Steve really actually "iconic"?
A portion of casual Minecraft players could be argued not to even know that his name is Steve to begin with, considering only specific editions have that as the default name for the player and outside of that, only a specific interview has that be the name.

I feel like if we want to keep all these guys, the character should be known as the "Notable Characters" category. Otherwise, most of this list should really be cut.

Back