• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"Here's a better question... do you wanna have bad time?" - Sans Profile Rework!

I don't think the sole explanation for every line of dialogue in a game with a large degree of player choice should be put down to "The other characters manipulated the PC into doing that with their social influencing".

My primary reading of that sparing scene is that, to some degree, the player still has the capacity to see Sans as a friend, and isn't actually just a remorseless killing machine. So an appeal to that can work, just as it can with every other character in the genocide route a run could end at. They don't all have SI, they're just examples of the player's capacity for empathy, which in the ultimately canon form of that route is demonstrated to be absent.
The only thing I would say is that Frisk on the Genocide Route is indeed a killing machine. Sparing just one character before Mettaton NEO makes him to believe that Frisk is bad at trying to play pure evil, but on actual Genocide he doesn’t say that. This alone is already an evidence for that. There are also lots of other proofs on Genocide Route, like Frisk not caring about Papyrus puzzles, or his attempts to make us a better person, etc., but I won’t list all of them because those are enough.

Or that could also just be a remark to the player's choice being bad at playing Evil as "They Tried to" as reflected on Frisk as their character they are playing

Back