• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

General Grievous VS Senator Armstrong - General VS Senator

No? You'd kinda need a scan of them not being metal as them being a cyborg automatically assumes they are mechanical ie. having metal components inside them

They are mainly made of nanotechnology, are powered by electricity and molten carbonate fuel cell, have data storages, white blood, pain inhibitors, exoskeleton et cetera. If they have anything of metal in them (possibly only some minor plates), it's just some very minor parts out of some unknown metal for us. Like, I don't see anything that could be metal inside him besides the plates and I don't remember metal ever being mentioned when it comes to Metal Gear cyborg bodies.

Can you control someone's entire body by some small plates? I don't think so.

And said nanomachines have no metal in them? Or the things that store data? And yes there are numerous cases in fiction where a few small pieces of metal are enough to control or throw someone around when the opponent has magnetism manipulation.

For the same reason i can viably just say that Grievous isnt magnetic because Duranium is never stated to be magnetic.

Well, we have stuff in Metal Gear Rising that, as stated, literally breaks the laws of modern physics. Jack's new body is not really and exception. The carbon nanotubes of our world... well, do they even come close? Monsoon not using electromagnetism on Jack himself is pretty much self explaining.

Unless theyre explicitly stated or shown to not be magnetic we really cant just assume theyre not

So basically its not in character for Armstrong to try magnetism manipping his opponent directly

WeeklyBattles said:
Unless theyre explicitly stated or shown to not be magnetic we really cant just assume theyre not

So basically its not in character for Armstrong to try magnetism manipping his opponent directly
Of course he never started off by manipulating his opponent, he never had a chance to use this power on someone he didn't know would definitely resist it, and his electromagnetism seems to be at least partially passive, with metallic objects around him autonomously floating around him

WeeklyBattles said:
And said nanomachines have no metal in them? Or the things that store data? And yes there are numerous cases in fiction where a few small pieces of metal are enough to control or throw someone around when the opponent has magnetism manipulation.

For the same reason i can viably just say that Grievous isnt magnetic because Duranium is never stated to be magnetic.
Since none of the high end tech in MGR is made of metal, it's a big assumption to claim that claytronics would be.

Except metals are all magnetic by nature as far as I know, and we'd need a statement to know if a metal is not magnetic

Not all metals are magnetic by nature, aluminum, brass, copper, gold, lead and silver for example are non-magnetic

kek

So basically we're right back where we started, Armstrong's only real advantages are Lifting Strength, which is dubiously useful if Grievous cuts off limbs, and Minor Regen which wont save armstrong from getting limbs cut off

Technically grievous' lightsabers should be able to bypass his regen completely seeing as they instantly cauterize the wounds of organic beings

WeeklyBattles said:
Not all metals are magnetic by nature, aluminum, brass, copper, gold, lead and silver for example are non-magnetic
The fact that a fraction of all metals are not magnetic (they actually are, simply not under normal circumstances) doesn't discredit the fact that the vast majority of metals are magnetic

SpookyShadow said:
As I already said, he can take punches of Ripper Mode Jack. It was accepted as 7X amp IIRC.
Can you post where it was accepted as a 7x amp? Thats not listed anywhere on Raiden's profile

WeeklyBattles said:
"carbon nanotubes can become magnetized when they are placed in contact with a magnetic material"

"It is widely believed that graphite and other forms of carbon can have ferromagnetic properties, but the effects are so weak that physicists are not sure if the magnetism is due to tiny amounts of iron-rich impurities, or if it is an intrinsic property of the carbon. In 2002 Coey's group measured the magnetic properties of a meteorite sample and found that only two-thirds of the magnetization could be accounted for by magnetic minerals present in the sample. The rest, they argued, must come from the carbon. In particular, they proposed that ferromagnetic nanocrystals in the sample induced a magnetic moment in the carbon via proximity effects."

Carbon is very much not magnetic, but can become so (very, VERY slightly, mind you) when put next to an actually magnetic material, CNT by itself is not magnetic

Twellas said:
The fact that a fraction of all metals are not magnetic (they actually are, simply not under normal circumstances) doesn't discredit the fact that the vast majority of metals are magnetic
Actually its the contrary, most metals are not magnetic

@Twellas Iron, Nickel, and Cobalt ate the only naturally magnetic metals, with materials like Steel being magnetic due to containing Iron. All other metals are nonmagnetic unless they also contain one of those three metals.

Twellas said:
Here's the scans
Cool, but we've already determined that even if they were magnetic its not in character for Armstrong to use magnetism against his opponent directly and that Grievous isnt magnetic so it wouldnt work even if he tried it

WeeklyBattles said:
SpookyShadow said:
That point for CRT was pretty confusing for me, Twellas can explain it for you I guess, but I think that was accepted.

https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/4006932
From what im reading here its accepted as a 7x speed amp, not AP
Ripper mode was accepted as a 7x AP amp because of in-game calcs. Said calc was previously considered invalid due to it being only game-mechanics but i actually found information in the official guide supporting the fact that Ripper mode allows Raiden to kill enemies that took several hits before in one or two at best. Despite the calc using valid metrics and being accepted by all the knowledgeable members as well as mods, I still decided to not include it on the profile because the multiplier itself is not official and just keep it as somethhing thhat can be brought up in threads

WeeklyBattles said:
Twellas said:
Here's the scans
Cool, but we've already determined that even if they were magnetic its not in character for Armstrong to use magnetism against his opponent directly and that Grievous isnt magnetic so it wouldnt work even if he tried it
You actually didn't establish the fact that Grevious is not magnetic, you simply said "since it's never stated that the metal IS magnetic it means it is not" which is a very poor point, on the other hand i DID establish that there is no way of knowing whether or not he would actually use magnetism on his opponent because every opponent he ever fought resisted it, as well as the fact that Armstrong's electromagnetism isn't targeted but aoe, as you can see here, where he attracts several choppers that he couldn't even see just by activating the ability. Armstrong also uses this ability fairly frequently against Sam

I posted proof of Raiden being made of a material that, according to a site you yourself linked, is not magnetic and can only become so when in contact with other magnetic materials. So yeah, i did prove that Raiden is not magnetic

Also Durabium is based off of Titanium in structure in function, only more durable, which is nonmagnetic so i dont see why we're still arguing this

a fictional metal being based on another metal doesn't mean that it inherits the base material's properties

Twellas said:
a fictional metal being based on another metal doesn't mean that it inherits the base material's properties
Then you'd kinda have to prove its magnetic as there is nothing in Star Wars that states or shows that it is magnetic coupled with the fact that the majority of metals in existence are nonmagnetic

No metal is non-magnetic, they simply have very weak reactions, but they still react to very powerful magnetic fields. There are 3 types of magnetism: Ferromagnetism (the strongest out of the 3, the one we experience most in our lives), Paramagnetism, which is when a material is attracted to a magnetic field, and Diamagnetism, which is when a changing external magnetic field induces repulsion from the magnetic field. Gold, for instance, is both Diamagnetic and Paramagnetic but not Ferromagnetic (the strongest and most notable). Given a strong enough magnet all metals are effected and thus magnetic.

Except a non-ferrous metal such as Titanium is proven to actually have magnetic properties, they are simply weak, same goes for Gold. My point still stands, when we say "not magnetic" it's about Ferromagnetism, which is the strongest form of magnetism but not the only one.

Back