• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fairy Tail: Zeref and Mavis Regen Buff

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonGodMitchAubin

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Imma revisit this again, because I think the initial reasoning it was rejected was faulty, but Zeref and Mavis should have Mid-Godly regen

In the Alvarez Arc, Cana used Fairy Glitter to completely destroy Mavis's Thought Projection Body. We know that Mavis's Thought Projection Body is just her soul/spirit itself and she is flat out a ghost. Mavis very clearly says to Cana that she has to erase and wipe out her very spirit in her order for her to regenerate and wake up. After having said soul/spirit completely destroyed, Mavis was able regenerate her soul/spirit back and come back to life just fine. This should mean that Mavis and Zeref, who has the exact same immortality as her, should receive Mid-Godly regeneration.

It was initially rejected because Mavis' IRL body was still intact when her soul was destroyed so it's not the same, but here's the thing. Souls and physical bodies are connected in Fairy Tail. When Acnologia's soul was completely destroyed, his physical body was completely destroyed as well since both were connected. The same would apply to Mavis, but since her body is immortal, it wouldn't be destroyed when her soul gets destroyed, hence why that is the case. As well, we know for a fact that Zeref for 400 years has tried every method to try and kill himself. He would know about body disintegration from the R-System, Ars Magic, Corpse Dragon Slayer Magic, and more. Zeref even knows that Existence Erasure cannot kill him. So it's heavily supported Mavis and Zeref could regenerate from having their body and soul's completely destroyed.

So yeah, that's my argument... Hope this goes well

Neutral, but there is also mind to consider as the regen page does specifically stated the mind being affected. Not that it matters since soul = mind is a thing IIIRC.

Edit: Never mind, it is not exactly default standard anyways

Isn't Acnologia sort of a special case due to the space between time?

This is only Low-Godly unless you can prove the mind also being erased. They only have feats of recovering from the soul and body.

Mid-Godly: The ability to regenerate from the complete erasure of body, mind, and soul.
I agree with this

This is only Low-Godly unless you can prove the mind also being erased. They only have feats of recovering from the soul and body.

Mid-Godly: The ability to regenerate from the complete erasure of body, mind, and soul.
I may have something for this, but just to be sure what constitutes "Mind" in this case?

If this gets accepted, then the resistance to existence erasure on his page needs to go as he'd survive existence erasure abilities not by not being affected but by regenerating from the damage done.

If this gets accepted, then the resistance to existence erasure on his page needs to go as he'd survive existence erasure abilities not by not being affected but by regenerating from the damage done.
That would mean Zeref and Mavis have Godly, that’s not what we’re proposing, we’re arguing they can regenerate from soul destruction

"Mind" is in the abstract sense, but it is illogical to use that as a standard, since most verses treat "Mind" only as biological. Mid-Godly should be something like "The ability to regenerate after being erased on a non-physical scale"

Well then I'll just say my piece on this then, Spirit's in Fairy Tail at least in Mavis's case an amalgamation of both the Mind and Soul, Thought Projections can contain ones "mind" as well as one's soul as Irene's thought projection is explained to be her personality due to her personality enchant magic which is quite literally mind transfer and removal. This was further explained by Haku as his magic allows him to affect spiritual bodies which is what Mavis consistently calls her thought projection in the series. So Mavis's thought projection that was destroyed was both her Mind and Soul.

Last edited:
"Mind" is in the abstract sense, but it is illogical to use that as a standard, since most verses treat "Mind" only as biological. Mid-Godly should be something like "The ability to regenerate after being erased on a non-physical scale"
To being fair, it is likely referring to the mind being contained in the brain or some other body components if we going by biology standard.

My only issues with Zackra's argument is that it uses the assumption all souls in Fairy Tail contain the mind, which obviously isn't the case given that Irene needed to specifically use a spell to transfer her mind / personality into Wendy in the first place.

I'll disagree with a solid rating but I can however support a possibly rating since the proof isn't exactly 100%.

My only issues with Zackra's argument is that it uses the assumption all souls in Fairy Tail contain the mind, which obviously isn't the case given that Irene needed to specifically use a spell to transfer her mind / personality into Wendy in the first place.

I'll disagree with a solid rating but I can however support a possibly rating since the proof isn't exactly 100%.
Well Mavis' Mind was clearly in her Soul/Spirit, as her body was lifeless and had no soul within it

Well Mavis' Mind was clearly in her Soul/Spirit, as her body was lifeless and had no soul within it
Which doesn't mean much without a direct statement. You'd need much more sufficient proof of the mind being affected other than "her body was lifeless." otherwise 99% of the characters with death Manipulation would be given the ability to affect abstract minds.

Refer to verses like The Nasuverse and Devil May Cry, they have it established by default that the mind is within the soul via various statements and showings. That's why they have a solid rating.

like I said at best it's a worth a possibly rating.

Finally off work so now I can actually respond

That isn't the base assumption, but there are different types of thought projections and this should only apply to Natsu and Mavis, allow me to explain.

The most detailed explanation on thought projections comes from the Natsu and Wraith fight, where its explained that physical thought projections are the souls of the users. However, not only are the Souls of the users used for thought projections but so is their "mind". When Natsu first "wakes up" in Beta Heaven it is explained to his unconscious mind several times, and when he actually wakes up in the living world and activates thought projection magic his actual soul wakes up as well and takes shape, not his body, which confirms that Natsu's though projection also contains his conscious/unconscious mind.

But what does this have to do with Mavis, well given that their circumstances are basically the exact same, both had their souls ripped form their bodies which left their bodies inert. Natsu also states that someone taught him how to use this magic, and the only one in his beta heaven that can use it is Mavis. So basically Natsu is using the same thought projection magic that Mavis uses given they act the same and have the same properties. So they should reasonably be assumed to be the same magic and thus have the same properties as well.

Seems like "At least Low-Godly, possibly Mid-Godly" has been accepted, I will apply the changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back