• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fairy Tail 100 Year Quest Discussion Thread: Post-Void Saga

Sorry, my response was childish, I am very emotional about FT

I just love it so much, it's hard to take criticism for it sometimes
There is nothing wrong with being passionate about a series you have followed for a very long time. But you should constantly, always, remember that not everyone is like you and that you shouldn't go ballistic or try to put people's opinions down when they feel that Mashima disappointed them. I had to deal with a person from the general MHA thread in this forum who refused to listen to what I had to say numerous times, constantly put me down and called me insane for still not subscribing to his train of thought. I left the thread since.

A lot of the emotional moments the series tries to push don't have nearly as much weight as it thinks they do. And when they do finally managed to strike gold, it's usually ruined by an aggressively unfunny horribly well timed joke, or just it's future consequences and impact are left underdeveloped. For every scene in FT that got yo ass cryin' in the club, there is another scene with a shallow payoff that the show tries to paint as just as important.
I'm legitimately quite curious as to which scene's you're referring to
The end of Natsu vs Zeref was truly great, Natsu's own journey of pain and suffering, a journey he never once let anyone see because he had to keep moving for the sake of everyone, clashed against Zeref's own pain. Natsu, with everything to protect, but never has the strength to protect it. Zeref, all the power in the world, with nothing to protect. Two brothers standing off, burning bridges instead of building them. Both threw all their emotion, their anger and sorrow and grief, at each other. Natsu won because Zeref didn't have anything to fight for, which wasn't his fault.
Natsu vs Zeref is thematically goated

Now time to go over the things I disagree with
The dragon slayers vs Acnologia was a rushed and sloppy end that left Acnologia stale and unexplored, as the only true connection he has with anyone is Natsu, yet they don't play with that at all. After pulling the Fairy Sphere and Seven Dragon Fire out of nowhere
I don't see how either of these came out of nowhere given they literally existed and used in similar ways before this, Fairy Sphere was integral at the end of the Tenrou arc, and 7FDM is the combination of Natsu's ability to take in other kinds of magic, something he does all the time, and Wendy's ability to enchant others with magical properties, something she did this arc. The only thing you can nit pick about the fairy sphere is the book existing but given we know FT has a massive library I still makes perfect sense for there to be books about the 3 Fairy Spells in the guildhall.
they flashback to Igneel's death, as if this is any sort of meaningful revenge. It's not, Natsu got thrown around, didn't get fired up, he promised his Dad he would get stronger and use that strength to squash Acnologia, he didn't.
I don't see how this isn't meaningful, Natsu killed Acno and got his revenge. Natsu's character at this point had already gone through his development against Zeref. Natsu's actions up until that point have been solely focused on himself, he will train for over a year by himself, he will take down Zeref, he will take down Acnologia, ect despite the fact that all these preparations he's made were ultimately for nothing as he simply wasn't strong enough by himself. Ever since that moment with igneel Natsu has been focused on himself without considering what will happen to those around him. It got to the point that he didn't even realize that Fairy Tail had disbanded for over a year. This is compounded by the fact with Natsu and Ignia's sub plot of him becoming strong enough on his own to fight Ignia, someone who is consumed by their own fire. Similar to Ignia and Acno, Natsu is at risk of letting this power consume him and the only way he can control that level of strength is through working/fighting with his friends by his side. It's a major plot point for Natsu's character. He's needs to find a balance of his own "strength" along with the support of the the guilds "strength". It's Natsu's "weakness" Gildarts and Natsu reference and ever since he's realized this, its been leading him to become a much kinder person, which 100 years quest has shown us with his thoughts on Zeref, Acno, Faris, Suzaku etc.
Yeah, Natsu being too weak on his own and having to rely on his friends is a series staple, but in a fight as deeply personal as this, what would normally be thematically consistent ended up throwing away one of the main themes of the Zeref fight. Which was that Natsu can stand on his own and be just as strong even with no friends to help, because fighting for them is what gives him power, not using their power itself.
This completely goes against the theme against Zeref, like his speech to Zeref makes this very clear. The spirit of FT is ultimately what makes Natsu as strong as he is, and it's this realization that allows Natsu to use his emotions to their upmost limits. He needs the support of the guild to achieve his greatest heights.
I could write a thesis on this but it's pretty opinionated. As I pointed out when I explored how Natsu vs Gildarts and the lesson it tried to teach completely undermines Natsu's character, everybody wants different things from a story.
I've went over Gildart's lesson and why it works with Natsu's character and is relevant in 100 years quest, so i ain't gonna beat that dead horse again

Okay mini rant over lol

Mutiny? You make it sound like I'm a king
fd40690c9ca37bc64698b1b11a785abf_w200.gif

Ignia vs. Selene is the big thing that I am so looking forward to in 100YQ right now. That's gonna be a goated fight

Add on Lucy or anybody that saw Post-SBT Absorption Dragon Form Acnologia saying Ignia is probably even stronger than Acnologia and boom Ignia is now the strongest character of the series

Viernes beats Ignia by Sponsoring the Fairy Tail Guild with his vast amounts of gold,forcing the Fairy Tail wizards to beat all other dragon gods before him.

I'm legitimately quite curious as to which scene's you're referring to

Natsu vs Zeref is thematically goated

Now time to go over the things I disagree with

I don't see how either of these came out of nowhere given they literally existed and used in similar ways before this, Fairy Sphere was integral at the end of the Tenrou arc, and 7FDM is the combination of Natsu's ability to take in other kinds of magic, something he does all the time, and Wendy's ability to enchant others with magical properties, something she did this arc. The only thing you can nit pick about the fairy sphere is the book existing but given we know FT has a massive library I still makes perfect sense for there to be books about the 3 Fairy Spells in the guildhall.

I don't see how this isn't meaningful, Natsu killed Acno and got his revenge. Natsu's character at this point had already gone through his development against Zeref. Natsu's actions up until that point have been solely focused on himself, he will train for over a year by himself, he will take down Zeref, he will take down Acnologia, ect despite the fact that all these preparations he's made were ultimately for nothing as he simply wasn't strong enough by himself. Ever since that moment with igneel Natsu has been focused on himself without considering what will happen to those around him. It got to the point that he didn't even realize that Fairy Tail had disbanded for over a year. This is compounded by the fact with Natsu and Ignia's sub plot of him becoming strong enough on his own to fight Ignia, someone who is consumed by their own fire. Similar to Ignia and Acno, Natsu is at risk of letting this power consume him and the only way he can control that level of strength is through working/fighting with his friends by his side. It's a major plot point for Natsu's character. He's needs to find a balance of his own "strength" along with the support of the the guilds "strength". It's Natsu's "weakness" Gildarts and Natsu reference and ever since he's realized this, its been leading him to become a much kinder person, which 100 years quest has shown us with his thoughts on Zeref, Acno, Faris, Suzaku etc.

This completely goes against the theme against Zeref, like his speech to Zeref makes this very clear. The spirit of FT is ultimately what makes Natsu as strong as he is, and it's this realization that allows Natsu to use his emotions to their upmost limits. He needs the support of the guild to achieve his greatest heights.

I've went over Gildart's lesson and why it works with Natsu's character and is relevant in 100 years quest, so i ain't gonna beat that dead horse again

Okay mini rant over lol
The convenience and quickness in which they found the Fairy Sphere despite it being an ultra lost spell only to be found within minutes is mostly the issue. But overall, its a mostly minor nitpick because I feel like the point of our disagreement come from differing takeaways of the series.

First off, you saying Natsu's actions were solely focused on himself is just factually incorrect. Natsu left to get stronger because he had just watched his father get murdered right in front of him. Whilst no one comforted him, Natsu gave himself at most minutes to cry over his father before he got back up. Natsu's character to me has always been that, getting back up, moving forward, aware of his weaknesses yet never letting them and doubt from others stop him.

The entire ******* reason Natsu left to get stronger was because he was more or less tired of being weak, of watching people get killed before his eyes while he could do nothing. He even says that when he one-shots the war god, that he will get even stronger because he won't let anyone else vanish before his eyes. So this isn't a well fed point, as the only thing you can really levy against Natsu was obliviousness, not selfishness. In all honestly, that's more the guild losing hope, because Natsu isn't there to be the anchor he always is, which is honestly more on the guild than Natsu. The moment Natsu dares take a moment from himself, he gets called selfish, which is hilariously unfair.

Regarding the meaningfulness of Natsu's revenge, that's entirely opinion based, I don't like it because no matter how many hoops I try to jump through, at the end of the day, it left Acnologia with little backstory, was a quick fight where Natsu didn't act as angry as he should have, and just pretty underwhelming compared to Natsu vs Zeref. If the fight had been extended, if we got more than a flash back, if we learned just how much this revenge meant to Natsu, I could ignore the shoddy context of the fight. But they threw in that image of Igneel and Acnologia fighting, like 'oh yeah' there is that too I guess.

The Natsu at risk of letting power consume him doesn't entirely work either, or at least not with his dragon side. Even when using Dragonization, even when as feral and as bloodlusted as possible, Natsu never once loses himself. He continues to talk about his friends, about what they mean to him, this shows he was different from Acnologia and the others from the very beginning, there was nothing to show he was in any danger of losing himself. E.N.D was a different story given all he wanted to do was kill Zeref because he was created to, and he was angry because he thought Lucy was dead, calling his actions selfish is beyond unfair. Unlike the dragons, Natsu didn't get to choose to be E.N.D, and he only fought Gray because he was in the way. Equating that to willingly lose himself like the dragons did is called disingenuous framing.

Now, the big beans.

Natsu vs Zeref set up in my eyes, the 'power of friendship' is both physical and metaphorical. Because at the end of the day, as much as the show tries to push this idea Natsu had somehow forgotten about Fairy Tail and was being selfish, he didn't. Once he learned Fairy Tail had been disbanded, he is the driving force in its reunion. He makes a speech about how he needs to protect his way of life with Fairy Tail against the war. He left to train to protect Fairy Tail, because he was tired of being unable to protect Fairy Tail. He comes back and becomes the one of the main reason Fairy Tail returns, and then goes to war to fight for Fairy Tail. This is that tone deafness I was talking about, where the series tries to push a point or realization that never had much backing to begin with. That and joking after incredibly serious or horrible situations.

When Zeref says that Natsu's fire is more than just his own, its more metaphorical, because on a physical level, it is all Natsu's. Just as Zeref pours everything he is into his curse, Natsu reduces all he is to fire. Including his memories and relationships and experiences. Its obvious no one else physically helped Natsu besides being revived, but then again, Zeref got the Fairy Heart, so it kinda evens out. The entire point of that last clash was that they both stood on their own in that moment, for different reasons, but both wishing for a better world. Natsu is using his experience and love for the guild to fuel a fire uniquely his, the reason this fire overcomes Zeref is because it is backed by something other than just sorrow, it is backed by an individual need to protect. They were both fighting alone, but only one was fighting to protect. Natsu defeats the penultimate villian of the story, with his own power. All those relationships he has didn't throw the last punch, he did. Fighting for your friends makes you just as strong as fighting with them. The guild is nothing without the individual, and the individual is nothing without the guild.

So this weakness Natsu supposedly had doesn't really work, because Natsu had been fighting with his friends just fine, before and after Gildarts. Natsu backing down to Gildarts is Natsu throwing away the one thing he has going for him, his will and drive and his ability to never give up, for a lesson in weakness he didn't really need. Natsu had his own lack of intelligence and other things constantly shoved down his throat by his friends literally every day, I'm pretty sure he knows his weakness, the reason he never says anything about is because if he did give into his limits like he did with Gildarts, he wouldn't have won a lot of fights, Fairy Tail wouldn't have gotten as far as it did. Natsu from the very beginning was a kind person, the entire ******* point of Beta-Heaven was to show Natsu, naturally, as a person, was kind and compassionate, you can't credit that to Gildarts. He didn't get any kinder, he didn't act any wiser, he mostly wasn't effected by this lesson, and for good reason, he can't afford to let his weaknesses stop him, which is why he ignored Makarov's self defeatist attitude against Zancrow, which is why he stated the reason he was scared was because he wouldn't be able to fight and take revenge for his friends. So yeah, there is no angle to that where it really works in my mind. Also the lack of Natsu vs Gildarts rematch annoyed me, where we here Natsu's response to that lesson. Natsu isn't a broken toy that needs to be fixed, he isn't an idiot who doesn't know any better. Me and Mitch have already boxed on this, so let's just agree to disagree.

I get it, I'm the devil's advocate in this situation, but I've been debating this shit ever since the show ended with dozens of people. The payoff to Natsu vs Zeref was great, the payoff to the Dragon Slayers vs Acnologia was rushed and shallow, there was never any doubt what was going to happen. I am not going to list all the individual examples where emotional moments were undercutted with a joke, or how the lack of character interactions makes most of the guild feel like work friends or comrades in arms rather than friends, or how unsatisfying the end of a lot of plot line were, because they ain't no point. Everyone wants different things from a story.

I ain't saying FT has no quality, it does, it just stumbles somewhat frequency, and every once in a while, completely drop the ball.

Last edited:
The convenience and quickness in which they found the Fairy Sphere despite it being an ultra lost spell only to be found within minutes is mostly the issue. But overall, its a mostly minor nitpick because I feel like the point of our disagreement come from differing takeaways of the series.

First off, you saying Natsu's actions were solely focused on himself is just factually incorrect. Natsu left to get stronger because he had just watched his father get murdered right in front of him. Whilst no one comforted him, Natsu gave himself at most minutes to cry over his father before he got back up. Natsu's character to me has always been that, getting back up, moving forward, aware of his weaknesses yet never letting them and doubt from others stop him.

The entire ******* reason Natsu left to get stronger was because he was more or less tired of being weak, of watching people get killed before his eyes while he could do nothing. He even says that when he one-shots the war god, that he will get even stronger because he won't let anyone else vanish before his eyes. So this isn't a well fed point, as the only thing you can really levy against Natsu was obliviousness, not selfishness. In all honestly, that's more the guild losing hope, because Natsu isn't there to be the anchor he always is, which is honestly more on the guild than Natsu. The moment Natsu dares take a moment from himself, he gets called selfish, which is hilariously unfair.

Regarding the meaningfulness of Natsu's revenge, that's entirely opinion based, I don't like it because no matter how many hoops I try to jump through, at the end of the day, it left Acnologia with little backstory, was a quick fight where Natsu didn't act as angry as he should have, and just pretty underwhelming compared to Natsu vs Zeref. If the fight had been extended, if we got more than a flash back, if we learned just how much this revenge meant to Natsu, I could ignore the shoddy context of the fight. But they threw in that image of Igneel and Acnologia fighting, like 'oh yeah' there is that too I guess.

The Natsu at risk of letting power consume him doesn't entirely work either, or at least not with his dragon side. Even when using Dragonization, even when as feral and as bloodlusted as possible, Natsu never once loses himself. He continues to talk about his friends, about what they mean to him, this shows he was different from Acnologia and the others from the very beginning, there was nothing to show he was in any danger of losing himself. E.N.D was a different story given all he wanted to do was kill Zeref because he was created to, and he was angry because he thought Lucy was dead, calling his actions selfish is beyond unfair. Unlike the dragons, Natsu didn't get to choose to be E.N.D, and he only fought Gray because he was in the way. Equating that to willingly lose himself like the dragons did is called disingenuous framing.

Now, the big beans.

Natsu vs Zeref set up in my eyes, the 'power of friendship' is both physical and metaphorical. Because at the end of the day, as much as the show tries to push this idea Natsu had somehow forgotten about Fairy Tail and was being selfish, he didn't. Once he learned Fairy Tail had been disbanded, he is the driving force in its reunion. He makes a speech about how he needs to protect his way of life with Fairy Tail against the war. He left to train to protect Fairy Tail, because he was tired of being unable to protect Fairy Tail. He comes back and becomes the one of the main reason Fairy Tail returns, and then goes to war to fight for Fairy Tail. This is that tone deafness I was talking about, where the series tries to push a point or realization that never had much backing to begin with. That and joking after incredibly serious or horrible situations.

When Zeref says that Natsu's fire is more than just his own, its more metaphorical, because on a physical level, it is all Natsu's. Just as Zeref pours everything he is into his curse, Natsu reduces all he is to fire. Including his memories and relationships and experiences. Its obvious no one else physically helped Natsu besides being revived, but then again, Zeref got the Fairy Heart, so it kinda evens out. The entire point of that last clash was that they both stood on their own in that moment, for different reasons, but both wishing for a better world. Natsu is using his experience and love for the guild to fuel a fire uniquely his, the reason this fire overcomes Zeref is because it is backed by something other than just sorrow, it is backed by an individual need to protect. They were both fighting alone, but only one was fighting to protect. Natsu defeats the penultimate villian of the story, with his own power. All those relationships he has didn't throw the last punch, he did. Fighting for your friends makes you just as strong as fighting with them. The guild is nothing without the individual, and the individual is nothing without the guild.

So this weakness Natsu supposedly had doesn't really work, because Natsu had been fighting with his friends just fine, before and after Gildarts. Natsu backing down to Gildarts is Natsu throwing away the one thing he has going for him, his will and drive and his ability to never give up, for a lesson in weakness he didn't really need. Natsu had his own lack of intelligence and other things constantly shoved down his throat by his friends literally every day, I'm pretty sure he knows his weakness, the reason he never says anything about is because if he did give into his limits like he did with Gildarts, he wouldn't have won a lot of fights, Fairy Tail wouldn't have gotten as far as it did. Natsu from the very beginning was a kind person, the entire ******* point of Beta-Heaven was to show Natsu, naturally, as a person, was kind and compassionate, you can't credit that to Gildarts. He didn't get any kinder, he didn't act any wiser, he mostly wasn't effected by this lesson, and for good reason, he can't afford to let his weaknesses stop him, which is why he ignored Makarov's self defeatist attitude against Zancrow, which is why he stated the reason he was scared was because he wouldn't be able to fight and take revenge for his friends. So yeah, there is no angle to that where it really works in my mind. Also the lack of Natsu vs Gildarts rematch annoyed me, where we here Natsu's response to that lesson. Natsu isn't a broken toy that needs to be fixed, he isn't an idiot who doesn't know any better. Me and Mitch have already boxed on this, so let's just agree to disagree.

I get it, I'm the devil's advocate in this situation, but I've been debating this shit ever since the show ended with dozens of people. The payoff to Natsu vs Zeref was great, the payoff to the Dragon Slayers vs Acnologia was rushed and shallow, there was never any doubt what was going to happen. I am not going to list all the individual examples where emotional moments were undercutted with a joke, or how the lack of character interactions makes most of the guild feel like work friends or comrades in arms rather than friends, or how unsatisfying the end of a lot of plot line were, because they ain't no point. Everyone wants different things from a story.
Are you strictly talking about the Manga Versions? Because the Anime fixed a lot of issues I had with the Acnologia fight

Now, the big beans.

saving this

Are you strictly talking about the Manga Versions? Because the Anime fixed a lot of issues I had with the Acnologia fight
Oh yeah, the anime fixed a lot with the Acno fight, Natsu and Acnologia were throwing hands a lot more, Natsu used DF with the Seven Dragon Fire, it overall made Natsu look way more impressive. Natsu was running of fumes yet still was giving out the s m o k e

1. Tbf most anime fights >>>> their manga counterparts, even for legendary manga like OP and DBZ

2. I honestly hated Ichiya until X792.

Nice job

Splendid work, per your usual, Mitch.

Also, how come Yukino's profile wasn't updated to show that she damaged Eclipse Virgo?

Last edited:
Back