• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Downgrading the cosmology. Oooo, spooky. (Dragon Ball)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then wouldn’t Grand Kai’s world being referred to as such, as well as being called a universe in the episode summary, prove it’s a Low 2-C structure?
ask the staff that is agreeing with it here, apparently summaries are not enough evidence on its own, i now chance my stance to neutral instead of agreeing

According to the OP, the kanji translated as extra-dimensional was [異空間], which means “different space” as opposed to [異次元], a more connotative kanji which literally means “different dimension” and is more akin to the English’s “extra-dimensional.” According to Luffy though, 異次元 could be found in the original scan, so if someone can read past this blur and prove that, it could potentially save his argument.
It's both

It's 異次元空間 (Ijigenkūkan) wich means "Different dimensional space" or "space of a different dimension", "Other-dimensional space", etc. Which basically is supposed to mean the space of a different dimension.

1. (science fiction) Originating outside the known physical reality of the universe.
  2. (science fiction) Coming from a world outside Einsteinian space-time.

A pocket dimension outside of the universe would appropriately be called "extradimensional."
Knowing that this definition already applies to anything existing within the Otherworld as it is outside the 'physical reality of the universe', what makes you think that this is the correct interpretation to take?

Knowing that this definition already applies to anything existing within the Otherworld as it is outside the 'physical reality of the universe',
If "extradimensional" is appropriate for realms outside the primary universe, it is simple enough to see that using it within the context of Otherworld would also refer to realms outside the primary space of Otherworld.

And how did we determine the meaning of "extra-dimensional" among the many possible interpretations?
Generally?

Anything.

I've always seen it said that saying that someone or some space is "super dimensional" or "extra dimensional" or anything dimensional means nothing if you don't have enough context anymore.

I don't know if there is one, but there it is.

Main reason I have for the size of this space is because the planets seems like big rocks and it has a ceiling and such.

If "extradimensional" is appropriate for realms outside the primary universe, it is simple enough to see that using it within the context of Otherworld would also refer to realms outside the primary space of Otherworld.
If.
If the series uses extra-dimensional to refer to realms outside of the living world's Universe. But that isn't the case. The Otherworld, the RoSaT, Sugoroku Space, none of the realms outside the primary universe are referred to as extra-dimensional. Extra-dimensional is explicitly used here to make the seperation between it and the Otherworld as different space-time continuums, further accentuated by it being referred as it's own universe in further supplementary texts.

I also don't understand what Op wants to say with his half-assed interpretation, which is to say that "the battlefield stretched into outer space, and both sides never gave up, trading their special moves until the end of the universe"

It's described to be a "universe", I'm not seeing a downgrade, but rather a bad interpretation by Null of wanting to downgrade everything.
Of course, "宇宙" (Uchu) means "universe", but it's also very often also used just with the meaning of space/outer space instead of meaning the entirety of a universe or something like that. In fact, I'm almost sure that is machine translation and you can notice that because it says first "outer space" and then "universe" for the same kanji.

If one would specify outer space, in general, they could use "宇宙空間" (Uchū kūkan), but even that can get into the problem of general meaning because it literally means "space of the universe", so it could also be used to describe all of the universe's space other than the astronomical use of merely "outer space". This just goes on to show how important context is (In fact, although Uchū by definition means all of time and space, most Japanese general astronomers would say that they just never use it to include time anymore, and is just used to describe generic outer space).

In that text, it could be something to discuss if it's called "宇宙" (Uchu) because they went to a generic outer space with stars and not something to say it's a literal universe-sized construct. (Japanese really be fun to discuss if "universe" really means universe).

Of course, "宇宙" (Uchu) means "universe", but it's also very often also used just with the meaning of space/outer space instead of meaning the entirety of a universe or something like that. In fact, I'm almost sure that is machine translation and you can notice that because it says first "outer space" and then "universe" for the same kanji.

If one would specify outer space, in general, they could use "宇宙空間" (Uchū kūkan), but even that can get into the problem of general meaning because it literally means "space of the universe", so it could also be used to describe all of the universe's space other than the astronomical use of merely "outer space". This just goes on to show how important context is (In fact, although Uchū by definition means all of time and space, most Japanese general astronomers would say that they just never use it to include time anymore, and is just used to describe generic outer space).

In that text, it could be something to discuss if it's called "宇宙" (Uchu) because they went to a generic outer space with stars and not something to say it's a literal universe-sized construct. (Japanese really be fun to discuss if "universe" really means universe).
In the end whether the downgrade goes through or not is more reliant on the semantics of 'extra-dimensional' than it's universal size, it seems

It being Low-2C comes from the Daizenshuu stating it to be extra-dimensional, not the episode summary.
funny because other world being described as "extra-dimensional" has never been accepted as proof of being a separate space-time
that has been officially translated as extra-dimensional in the Daizenshuu
A translation by Herm is not "official".
8QNmVSO.jpeg
Again, an episode summary is supplementary information (hype, essentially), and this instance (or, interpretation) is particularly egregious, because, again, not a single line of dialogue in the entire episode is ever spared to mention "the universe" or "the end of the universe" or anything close. The furthest Goku and Pikkon ever travel is the ceiling, which they reach by flipping and turning after being launched by an explosion.

uh, nor does the episode involve cell returning from self-destruction and killing trunks. that would be episode 188.

Last edited:
Well, if the evidence for it's size being universal is also poor, then that is an important factor in favor of the OP.
In the show all we see is a giant star-filled pocket dimension, and we are not told it's exact size, low end or high end. That info which is irrelevant to the plot but relevant to power scaling, is given to us via official supplementary information, by the episode summary. A summary literally written by the dudes adjacent to the guys who wrote this filler in the first place, who created this area in the first place.

You choose to ignore it. You think THAT is poor. Alright

A translation by Herm is not "official".
And you've got people in this thread telling you that the original kanji signifies the same meaning, I can bring you a native Japanese speaker and odds are he'd end up saying the same thing. But I guess that's not enough, right

On the side of it being universal in size and extra-dimensional, you have official sources that are non-contradictory to the source material and supplementary to it. On the side of those in disagreement, you have people choosing to disregard OFFICIAL SOURCES of supplementary information, because they don't like the reality of it being stated to be extra-dimensional on one side, or believing that it's only a slight downgrade so it must be okay on the other side, who cares about what the evidence actually points to.

I've laid out the evidence I have as clear as you've laid out your opinions, but from how the wiki's structure works opinions from red and green banners are higher quality sources than official ones. Proceed as usual, i guess.

is given to us via official supplementary information, by the episode summary. A summary literally written by the dudes adjacent to the guys who wrote this filler in the first place, who created this area in the first place.

You choose to ignore it. You think THAT is poor. Alright
Yes. that is essentially the situation. I don't think the episode summary matters much at all. You can hammer away at the word "official" as much as you like, but I don't really agree with using it, and it seems that even if we took it at face value there's too much ambiguity in the original japanese to assume it's referring to a universe-sized space.

1. (science fiction) Originating outside the known physical reality of the universe.
  2. (science fiction) Coming from a world outside Einsteinian space-time.

A pocket dimension outside of the universe would appropriately be called "extradimensional."
If it’s too speculative, I’d still probably say the Grand Kai world is possibly a universe, just not a separate space-time (basically, 3-A instead of Low 2-C)

If it’s too speculative, I’d still probably say the Grand Kai world is possibly a universe, just not a separate space-time (basically, 3-A instead of Low 2-C)
I also have objections to it being considered universal in size, detailed above.

Not sure if I can agree with this, I mean it being called an another universe, being a different dimensional space/extra-dimensional should be enough to be considered it's own low 2-C structure, I don't think luffy using saint seiya panels really contributed to the argument at all in the first place, so I don't think it really serves as a valid debunk to this thread. I mean like what more do you want? It's called a different dimension, another universe, as far as we know you can't get there by physical travel, only through a door way. This could literally be the same situation with the ROSAT, how it's a separate spacetime that you can only get to by a door of some sort. And it is clearly not apart of the afterlife except for through one entrance. I'm gonna try to find the episode in subbed with the ceiling statement.

If it’s more than 3 dimensions, it’s at least 4. There’s no such thing as something like “3.1 dimensions”
Technically speaking, without involving semantics, within all respect, yes there is non-integer dimensions.

This is sus. The pot shots at Luffy, the way this arguments comes down to semantics, the snide title, the 'how did this get through to begin with' jabs, I'm neutral for now but yeah, after this I'm not particularly enthused to go back to the DB topic thread and stop people from talking about bias.

And don't we still have another downgrade going on rn? It's hard to take the comment above mine seriously when when I hear people talk about shutting down upgrade threads because of CRT limits but then this comes out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back