• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_6525.jpg

By Speezenator on Twitter and Google Doc:
This "Homura Akemi vs Kurumi Tokisaki" battle track currently has a bigger budget than both Will of the Drill AND This Heartless Empire (2 of Brandon’s most acclaimed tracks). More info will be shared soon. Until then, I hope you’re just as excited as I am.
Anyone want to do the calc? I know how the budget can be elevated in some way.
(Also, pushing this matchup in a budget bigger than both Will of the Drill AND This Heartless Empire? How much money do the commissioner make? May as well sponsor a mock episode with Cartoon Fight Club/Rewind Rumble.)

someone on the research team likes it (Homura Akemi vs Bernkastel) and apparently people in the community server have started talking about it. All I know about Umineko is that as a verse it goes outer (which basically tells me Devil’s required for Homura to stand even a ghost of a chance) so if anyone wants to explain to me what this MU is about, I’d be happy to hear it. Then I’ll be able to make a proper opinion on it. Sorry :(

Might as well do a Fast Food Mascot Battle Royal.
Last time we have a cereal mascot battle royale as Unscripted Death Battle (aka the extended current Community Death Battle)... It did not work out that well.

A matchup with drink mascots will come at Brandon Yates commissioned music work collection in the future. Cannot say anything more "until the moment comes".

Might as well do a Fast Food Mascot Battle Royale.
Well, Ronald McDonald vs Colonel Sanders IS one of my favorite DBX episodes, purely for the absurdity of it. Wonder who'd be part of a full blown battle royale...
Bets are The Colonel, Ronald, BK, Jack in the Box, Carls Jr Star, and whatever other fast food place has a mascot
At the very least you're getting The Colonel, BK, Ronald, and Wendy's. Everyone else is just icing on the cake.
Ronald McDonald, Colonel Sanders and Sneak King (Burger King) are lock-ins.

Others... Will pretty much depend on what things high the management and the production teams are taking.

Yes he is. He has a cool ability set and is generally one of the most interesting OPM characters imho
Yeah.
And August Heart reverse time punches Garou would be so fitting. (Yeah we know how Godspeed vs Garou goes.)

Imma listen to it when i get out of work, curious if it adds elements of kurumi theme in it
Some typical Puella Magi theme of course.

That said,
"Date With The Devil" is more expensive than "Will of the Drill" and "This Heartless Empire"
How much do you think these songs actually cost?
Looks like some people are really working hard or winning a big fortune to commission songs like that.
(That said from myself who just got a pay rise and even then would rather commission for more matchups than spending a lot on one matchup.)

I shall try to estimate those costs once I got back home. (I bet anyone can make a guess but I wonder if anyone can actually know the exact amounts)

Death Battle Characters doing dance-offs / competing in a dancing competition
That Persona character should do actually very well (potential champion candidate even) due to the spinoff rythmn games and even a live drama...

Last edited:
someone on the research team likes it (Homura Akemi vs Bernkastel) and apparently people in the community server have started talking about it. All I know about Umineko is that as a verse it goes outer (which basically tells me Devil’s required for Homura to stand even a ghost of a chance) so if anyone wants to explain to me what this MU is about, I’d be happy to hear it. Then I’ll be able to make a proper opinion on it. Sorry :(
Honestly Umineko having a match would be hilarious to me since from my understanding is the kind of series that would break some one.
Though for the connections from my understanding, they are both young Japanese girls who go through time loop in an attempt to prevent the death of their friend(s) while repetitively having to watch as the people they care about get murdered which effects them mentally, they are eventually successful however but as a result of their actions they both eventually become witches... in theory at least, those connections are under the assumption that Bernkastel and Rika Furude are the same character/the evolution of her trauma from the looping or something, which is a very heavily support idea and is all but confirmed... but it still has never been made made officially canon yet from my understanding.

By Speezenator on Twitter and Google Doc:

Anyone want to do the calc? I know how the budget can be elevated in some way.
(Also, pushing this matchup in a budget bigger than both Will of the Drill AND This Heartless Empire? How much money do the commissioner make? May as well sponsor a mock episode with Cartoon Fight Club/Rewind Rumble.)

Last time we have a cereal mascot battle royale as Unscripted Death Battle (aka the extended current Community Death Battle)... It did not work out that well.

A matchup with drink mascots will come at Brandon Yates commissioned music work collection in the future. Cannot say anything more "until the moment comes".
For the Puella Magi thing, I think that Death Battle Team is trying to touch a verse which has insane cosmology. I'd like to see how they interrupt the cosmology.

For mascot battle, I'm open to any matchup idea. Sadly, I am unable to propose mine.

Speaking of Umineko, how do you feel on the matchup of Ange Ushiromiya vs Kyoko Kirigiri? Some connections are there and the verdict can just be so one-sided...

For mascot battle, I'm open to any matchup idea. Sadly, I am unable to propose mine.
You can always propose yours. Just you are facing the American audience so good luck with people actually knowing the mascots you are talking about.

Imma listen to it when i get out of work, curious if it adds elements of kurumi theme in it
Yes.

Date With The Devil (Homura vs Kurumi) [Madoka Magica vs Date A Live]
TheDino 27
14 hours ago (edited)

So this is the One Million Dollar Track, eh ? And it also marks the fact that Kurumi is now the character with the most commissions on this channel. And² it's 2023's first track too. That's a lot of specialities this track has, now, doesn't it ?

And in all honesty ? The quality of the track totally follows suit. It's pretty visible that this track is just waiting to receive a vocal version. However this instrumental is still really freaking good. I'm still listening to it for the first time as I'm writing this bit so I'm not even halfway through it but there's already quite a bit I've got to say.

First of all I really like the use of a similar soundfont to the other songs featuring Kurumi, especially Spirit's Hell (especially at points like 0:46-1:10). This gives the whole song a pretty unique personality to fit with Kurumi, which I'll admit I'm pretty surprised still hasn't gotten her dedicated sound segment/melody by now given it's her fourth apparition.
But there's also the 1:21-1:24 segment (which repeats in the song) which is a direct callback to Midnight Magica, showing that Madoka Magica, and more importantly Homura, also has a recurring motif now which is a great thing. I always like it when songs have references to other songs when it is warranted. And this is a great example of it.

I also want to note the 3:10-3:31 segment which makes for a perfect buildup to the next segment that I''ll mention later. It definitely sounds like this bit will be accompanied by some more "subtle" voice lines in the vocal version but just on its own it's really good. The slow bass but consistent and percussion with the piano accompanying the two make for a very epic-sounding segment that works amazingly to make way for the best part of the song:

The whole 3:32-4:18 segment which makes me wonder if this song isn't secretly a Therewolf Media featuring due to how freaking amazing that guitar is. It's just ridiculous how good that segment is. The whole song feels epic and has a lot of intensity and energy behind it, but that segment in particular ? Bloody legendary. Especially the 3:55-4:18 part which has so much emotion packed into it, it feels so heroic but also so tragic. This bit starts of as this more tragic and "slow" pace before repicking up again at 4:07 in an heroic push and then "falling down" at 4:13.
I guess a way to interpret it would be (at least to me, who only knows Kurumi from the anime and has no idea who Homura is) both the "evil" and the "heroic" sides of the characters clashing there. Kurumi is a character that feels "hopeless" in her doings, she does not care for herself and thinks that very little matters in general before the MC of the anime shows up. And this segment alone perfectly reflects this "hopelessness" she feels while still having some glimmer of hope in herself that develops the more the story progresses. It's absolutely insane how, in a less than 30s bit, you managed to pack such a great reflection of personality for a character.

I also particularly enjoy the break at 4:19-4:41, it definitely feels*, not like a moment where both characters are "powering up" like some songs do, but it instead really just feels like a moment where both characters are just *struggling to keep themselves going, the descending piano notes conveying just how little energy they have left and how much effort it's gonna take them to finish the fight. Only for them to, with a final effort, start their gears again at 4:41and launch themselves in one final clash where both Kurumi's and Homura's soundfonts join together. At which point the intensity of the fight keeps increasing without stop (5:05-5:29) until finally stopping abruptly as the crippling blow is dealt and only the Madoka Magica motif is left, which I assume would be there to signify Homura's win here (dunno who actually wins the matchup) before full closing the song at 5:40 as the winner deals the killing blow, ending this encounter.

Overall, in the same vein as the last song that released (well, technically Awakened Sacrifice was only just a vocal version. But if you've read my wall of text on it, you'll know that I think of it much higher than just that), this song is absolutely masterfully done and, it being only the instrumental version, I absolutely CANNOT wait to hear the vocal version. This could very well be the best commission done as of yet and I'm all for it. As always my interpretation of things may be very janky given I don't know at all one of the characters and only know the other one on a pretty surface level, so forgive me if I made any false jugements (thinking back on it, I probably should have read the commissioner's google doc before writing this, probably had some more info on them). But anyway, this is an absolutely amazing song and I'll be sure to replay it gosh knows how many times. Absolutely grandiose work with this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back